You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SIntreaper

USN BB Poll Results

14 comments in this topic

18 posts
24 battles

Original poll here: https://goo.gl/forms/nWul0miRH0kPyMgC3

Disclaimer

The following results are the results of a player-run poll distributed among the NA forums, Asia forums, and r/worldofwarships.  The results are not endorsed by any other party except for myself, including Wargaming, Reddit, or any of the developers.  As this was a player run poll, I open up my results to any analysis that any players, developers, and/or outside observers would like to make.  These results are not guaranteed to influence Wargaming in any way.  I am also not an AP Stats student.  If you spot an incorrect assumption, please show mercy.  Thank you.

In addition, I received a lot of flak for this poll for multiple reasons.  I tried to keep the poll simple, which explains why people felt it was too basic.  Next time around, I'll be covering more complex topics, so I have more freedom to make the poll more complex.  In addition, the poll itself can be taken multiple times.  This is not a mistake; rather I am attempting to protect the identities of those taking the poll.  If I made the poll a one answer only poll, people would be forced to sign into their Google accounts to take the poll. The poll results on the Google form are open, which means that anyone who would respond would open their email up to the public.  

A side note, before we begin: I do not play USN BBs.  I'm pretty much a DD guy myself; as such, please do not scream "[edited]noobtard" when I display the poll.  I made this poll because two guys I know disagree on this issue.  

Introduction and Methodology

The following results were compiled from the poll above, which ran from 29-11-17 to 02-12-17.  There were 240 people who took the poll.  Results were compiled into an Excel spreadsheet and analyzed.  

An asterisk (*) indicates that I lumped similar responses together.  For example, if one response was that they didn't care, and another response was that it didn't really matter, I would lump both together.  In addition, all of the "other" responses are marked as "Other" in the pie charts.

Data Results

jUn5LVo.png

p7sOUZb.png

FnWBbMv.png

EgufoI9.png

Z3fJPs9.png

iFCfaef.png

Analysis

Combining the first two questions, we can see that the majority of those who answered are USN players and BB players.  This means that we will be receiving results from people who play USN ships and those who play other BBs against them.  

On our third question, there is a general consensus that USN BBs are not weak objectively speaking.  I say general consensus, but I really mean an overwhelming majority.  This trend continues throughout the poll, with around 80% of the population believing USN BBs are fine each question.  I really can't analyze this battery of questions very much, as there isn't much to analyze.  

The last multiple choice question asks whether USN BBs are powercreeped.  This seems to leave the population split, with about 40% of the population believing USN BBs are not powercreeped, 46% believing that USN BBs are slightly powercreeped, and 14% of the population believing that USN BBs are extremely powercreeped.  These results to this question are very curious, as even though 80% of the population believes that USN BBs are not weak, 60% of the population surveyed believe that the USN BBs are powercreeped to at least some degree.  At least some of those who believe that USN BBs are not weak also believe that USN BBs have been powercreeped, although I cannot say just how many for sure.  In short, even though much of the population believes USN BBs aren't weak, some of that population also believes USN BBs have been powercreeped to some degree.  

Finally, the open response.  I will be covering this in my different analyses from now on.  Picking a few quotes, we can see the many different views of the population.

"Nothing.  Git Gud."

This sentiment is echoed many times in many different responses.  Although on the surface it is a blatant jab at the OP, we can analyze this to mean that USN BBs are relatively high skill.

"Raise Citadel."

Surprisingly, many people also believe that the USN citadel lowering was a bit too much.  However, this is often times the only nerf that is mentioned, leading me to believe that only the citadel should be raised again in order to rebalance the USN BB line.

"Speed buffs."

USN BBs are well-known for their slow speed.  It is no surprise that a much-asked buff is to the speed.  It would not be unreasonable, certainly, and it should probably be done.  

"Add STS Plating, imprive [sic] gun handling at long/mid range, improve pennetration [sic] of 16 inch Mk 8 Super Heavy Shell"

The most specific response in the poll.  It covered a lot of ground while still keeping it concise and easy to understand.  This was the most detailed buff request.  In addition, we can break it down further.  STS plating is special plating used on USN BBs, known for being a slight improvement over other steel plates because of its ductility.  I do believe that USN BBs do not have special armor modeled; thus the author wishes for better armor when compared to contemporaries.  Improving gun handling at mid and long ranges is also another issue raised by the author.  While USN BBs are not supposed to be snipers, the author wishes for them to at least gain a little bit more accuracy.  Buffing accuracy could prove problematic, however, as it could enable DD sniping with BBs.  Still, I am sure the author has experienced very bad USN BB accuracy firsthand, and I do not wish to discredit his/her experiences.  

"buff the whining factor so i get more salt to feed on"

Purely shiptosting by an anonymous user.  Lightened up my day a little.

Conclusions

USN BBs are seen as well balanced, if a bit strong, by most.  Although an appreciable amount of people believe that USN BBs have been slightly powercreeped, most people do believe that USN BBs are not a dumpster fire.  As is, I rest my case.  Feel free to use this data to support your own internet arguments, draw conclusions, or use this as data to buff USN BBs.  Thank you for reading this long and hard poll result.

Edited by SIntreaper

Super Tester
7,567 posts
8,001 battles

Well, you just wrote the same thing these pictures show. You know we can read charts too :P But yeah, thanks for the effort. At the end, it still felt biased, since you put extraordinary emphasis on the statement ".. amount of people believe that USN BBs have been slightly powercreeped" multiple times. And its pretty obvious from your last two lines that you saw something that you did not expect. I was also expecting an overwhelming amount of "Buff USN BBs", Tell the two guys you mentioned that they suck.

I still do not agree with this repeated talk about accuracy buff though. And here is why: USN battleships have comparable accuracy with IJN. IJN have slightly better because they have access to accuracy mod while USN have access to range mod. Many people keep forgetting this part. If I break down from T3 to T10, this is how it looks like

South Carolina - Pretty accurate, much better than three others already.

Wyoming - 12 gun BBs have no need for accuracy.

New York - same dispersion and sigma as kongo I think, with better penetration than kongo.

New Mexico - Again, 12 guns.

Colorado - Was same as Nagato, recently got a 0.1 sigma nerf in favor of huge hp buff

NC - Already the best in her tier

Iowa - Already the best in her tier

Montana - 12 guns. But Yamato is the best there.

Edited by icy_phoenix

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,868 battles
14 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

New York - same dispersion and sigma as kongo I think, with better penetration than kongo.

New Mexico - Again, 12 guns.

Colorado - Was same as Nagato, recently got a 0.1 sigma nerf in favor of huge hp buff

I'd say that USN BB in general is quite okay balance wise except the New York that needs slight addressing. USN ships, like Germans, have good horizontal dispersion at close range but way worse horizontal dispersion at longer range.

New York - 60s gun traverse with questionable firing angle and 34s reload. (and ironically worse AA than Kongo and Konig, but those AAs are not useful anyway)

New Mexico - 6s longer reload and traverse than Fuso, with the advantage of being able to put 6 guns to bear when bow-in. However, this ship is coated in 25mm plating everywhere and therefore is very vulnerable to IFHE spam.

Also very annoying thing is that German battleships at T5-T7 steals USN's spot for AA power.

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,569 battles
1 hour ago, _neppu said:

I'd say that USN BB in general is quite okay balance wise except the New York that needs slight addressing. USN ships, like Germans, have good horizontal dispersion at close range but way worse horizontal dispersion at longer range.

New York - 60s gun traverse with questionable firing angle and 34s reload. (and ironically worse AA than Kongo and Konig, but those AAs are not useful anyway)

New Mexico - 6s longer reload and traverse than Fuso, with the advantage of being able to put 6 guns to bear when bow-in. However, this ship is coated in 25mm plating everywhere and therefore is very vulnerable to IFHE spam.

Also very annoying thing is that German battleships at T5-T7 steals USN's spot for AA power.

but dont forget the newyork has the most hard hitting AP shells tier for tier

and the new mex is much less likely to get citadeled then the fuso, tradeing HE protection for AP protction is quite fair IMHO, and dont the new mex shells hit harder then fuso's?

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

IMO Only Wyoming and New York is weak on US line

Plagued by Low speed at lower tier, and Slow Projectile speed on Higher tier

Its not US BB weaker, just the skill celling for US BB is quite higher than others.

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,868 battles
8 hours ago, humusz said:

I would not call Wyoming weak when we have stuff like Myogi languishing around with only 6 guns and even worse penetration (!) than the Wyoming (because Myogi is using WW1 shell).

We should as well address the T3-T4 IJN ships since they indeed are really in a sorry state.

1,107 posts
7,844 battles
6 hours ago, _neppu said:

I would not call Wyoming weak when we have stuff like Myogi languishing around with only 6 guns and even worse penetration (!) than the Wyoming (because Myogi is using WW1 shell).

We should as well address the T3-T4 IJN ships since they indeed are really in a sorry state.

compared to other peer - aka - kaiser, Orion and Imperator Nikolai, they weak

Super Tester
7,567 posts
8,001 battles
20 hours ago, _neppu said:

Except Ishizuchi :D

On 12/3/2017 at 8:57 PM, humusz said:

Not to brag, but NY was the first BB I played in WOWS (Skipped up to Wyoming) and I was a total noob in 2016. Still managed this. I don't know why people hate her so much, she has the best guns in tier 5.

NY.thumb.JPG.35c0c216f81d09ab6e69c7ecc90b27e4.JPG

1,107 posts
7,844 battles
11 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

Not to brag, but NY was the first BB I played in WOWS (Skipped up to Wyoming) and I was a total noob in 2016. Still managed this. I don't know why people hate her so much, she has the best guns in tier 5.

NY.thumb.JPG.35c0c216f81d09ab6e69c7ecc90b27e4.JPG

more like she, was weaker compared to her peer (Iron duke-Konig)

she prob still on par with Kongo though. 

if you compare each tier against their peer.

Colorado pre-Buff might seems weak, if you put her against Nagato, KGV, Nelson, Scharnhorst-Gneis, Asitaka

while T8-9-10 were strong, a very strong if I might add

however T4-T5 American BB is just weak, in comparasion of their peer

and at 2016, T5 matchmaking is of preferential quality on it hehehe

if you drive iron duke on old T5 matchmaking, imagine the bloodbath of using just HE to citadel every cruiser lol

Edited by humusz

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,569 battles
1 hour ago, humusz said:

French bb also seems gonna use quite a lot of fire. 

at 7&9 HE spam,would be a legit tatic, you have enough guns for it