Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HMS_Swiftsure_08

[shytpost] Is the in-game Huanghe possible?

11 comments in this topic

1,386 posts
8,233 battles

FYI: Huanghe IRL

HMS Aurora, an Arethusa class CL, was transferred to ROCN after WWII concluded, and was renamed Chung King. Her crew would later defect to the communists, and was sunk by aircraft in 1949. Huanghe was one of her several names after her hull being raised, IIRC during her service as a floating warehouse under Shanghai Salvage Bureau.

It is true that PLAN did contact the Soviets for proposals of repairing and reconstructing the ship, but ended with no conclusion. But IIRC the Soviet proposal was rearm her with eight 130mm/50 Pattern 1935 guns in four twin B2-LM between deck mounts.(the same mount and guns as the trashcan). The in-game Huanghe however has a similar main armament layout to her config in British service.

HMS Aurora: six 6"/50 BL Mark XXIII in three twin Mark XXI between deck turrets

Huanghe in game: six 6"/57 Pattern 1938 in three twin MK-4 between deck turrets

And Huanghe’s secondary armament is far better than Aurora’s historical config

HMS Aurora: four 4"/45 QF HA Mark V in four HA Mark IV deck mounts, later removed

Huanghe: eight 3.9"(100mm)/70 CM-5 in CM-5/CM-5-1/CM-5bis twin DP between deck mounts, tri-axis stabilized

I wonder if this config can be done historically.

1. The MK-4 mounts for 6" Pattern 1938 was a pre-war design for Soviet battleships. AFAIK none was ever completed. I doubt whether the Soviets would manufacture a mere three of these old designs just for refitting a ship they don’t own.

2. The MK-4 mount weighs 145 tons each, while the original Mark XXI has a weight of only 91 tons. The Russian 100mm mounts were 45 tons each, and HA Mark IV was just 7 tons (without shields, which IIRC was not equipped on these small cruisers). That would result in a 314 ton overweight compared to her original armament, without taking the heavier 37mm AA and sensor suite into account. This overweight seem quite much for a cruiser small as this (5.2k ton standard displacement). This would significantly lower her freeboard and possibly result in a poor seagoing ship.

Edited by HMS_Swiftsure_08

154 posts
345 battles

and 

10 minutes ago, Kim_JongMion said:

However it is just a game.If I remembered exactly,the modification plan includes a radar:cap_tea:

and la glass should use its proper hull..... radar and a catapult fighter.....

51 minutes ago, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

blah blah blah

if you call this shytpost, my thread will be sheetpost :cap_hmm:

1,386 posts
8,233 battles
9 minutes ago, Rwasknum said:

and 

if you call this shytpost, my thread will be sheetpost :cap_hmm:

La Gali’s catapult hull was pre refit, that catapult was installed on the X turret and rotates with it

Let the player swing the catapult like a bat and hit the plane to launch it? That sounds crude…:cap_haloween:

Edited by HMS_Swiftsure_08

7 posts
2,461 battles
58 minutes ago, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

FYI: Huanghe IRL

HMS Aurora, an Arethusa class CL, was transferred to ROCN after WWII concluded, and was renamed Chung King. Her crew would later defect to the communists, and was sunk by aircraft in 1949.

actually chungking was scuttled due to inability (most of the crew were relocated on land) to fend off  constant nationalist airstrikes, and because the crew were inexperienced, chungking suffered major damage to her keel during the scuttling process. later soviet proposal includes refitting the ship with 5.1''BL-2Ms and 37mm AA 61-k guns for 200,000,000 rubs, and since the communist government see not point in fixing a rekt cruiser in the 1950s, the plan to restore the ship was cancelled. Her nameplate is now kept in the Museum of Military History in Beijing.

of course it's a little bit absurd to have her in game with MK-4s, which would result in higher cost and a longer time to refit, and of course, i doubt that the soviets would provide 100mm SM-5s to the  Chinese in the 1950s, so, no I don't think it would be possible and of course there's that sacrifice historical accuracy for game play thing.

[COAT]
1,183 posts
10,158 battles
28 minutes ago, Rwasknum said:

And the new French Tier X BB France should have helicopters lol 

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

Nah, the overweight is not that severe as you think

Hatsuharu were 135 ton overweight, and her full load displacement is less than 2000 ton, Sims class at 2200 ton displacement were 150 ton overweight.

Somner class is one of the most overweight design, I read once its like 30% displacement overweight. so its like 300-500 tons overweight for 3.500 tons displacement. the main gun is not allowed to fire past 35 degree elevation as result

314 tons overweight for her size, is still managable imo

Edited by humusz

1,386 posts
8,233 battles
Just now, humusz said:

Nah, the overweight is not that severe as you think

Hatsuharu were 135 ton overweight, and her full load displacement is less than 2000 ton, Sims class at 2200 ton displacement were 150 ton overweight.

Somner class is one of the most overweight design, I read once its like 30% displacement overweight. so its like 300-500 tons overweight for 3.500 tons displacement. the main gun is not allowed to fire past 35 degree elevation as result

314 tons overweight for her size, is still managable imo

314 ton is just the SP/DP armament part, I did not include any AA guns or the sensor suite or hull repairs that she would have needed.

But on a second thought, the weight may not prove to be too much a problem. Had the ship been rebuilt, she would operate near the Taiwan strait which means she probably won’t face conditions too rough for her to handle. Obtaining the armament seem otherwise. These armaments would make her half a 68bis, and the Soviets may not want to export these relatively new equipments.

1,107 posts
7,844 battles
Just now, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

314 ton is just the SP/DP armament part, I did not include any AA guns or the sensor suite or hull repairs that she would have needed.

But on a second thought, the weight may not prove to be too much a problem. Had the ship been rebuilt, she would operate near the Taiwan strait which means she probably won’t face conditions too rough for her to handle. Obtaining the armament seem otherwise. These armaments would make her half a 68bis, and the Soviets may not want to export these relatively new equipments.

if she rebuilt there is quite ways to shave of the overweight.

Adding torpedo bulge for example. Torpedo bulge is usualy have 0 or negative bouyancy.

Myoko class torpedo buldge  add 500 tons of additional bouyancy for example.

Speed is another problem cause by overweight. replacing for stronger engine would be a way to shrug off ships problem

AFAIK, British engine is notorious for being heavy and very spacius for their size.

will the soviet engine were better if she rebuilt ? thats quite unknown what if scenario

Sign in to follow this