You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
gunhero

DD Detection Range Problem

22 comments in this topic

[WOWMA]
8 posts
7,343 battles

Hi fellow captains,

I've encounter some problem in the game about detection range.

While the game getting prepared for all players to get ready, usually I'll browse through the opposite team to compare the status of my ship with them.

Problem is when I see my DD detection range is the lowest in the game and one of the opposite team DD also have the level of detection range with me (after both side are ready).

But in game, I always get detected 1st and I can't detect the opposite DD which have the same detection level with me. Only detect it after a few seconds later which I'll get pounded very hard by opposite team by then.

Is this a bug or there is some skill to reduce detection level when the game starts.

Please advise

Thank you.

[WOWMA]
8 posts
7,343 battles

So it's only original ship status but not skill and module is not add up and display in the status chart?

I remember my own status was all included (skill, module and camo)

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,759 battles

There is a delay of a few seconds from you spotting a ship to it being rendered on screen.  If you have identical spotting distance to an enemy ship and you spot each other simultaneously, your spotted icon will pop up and a few moments later the enemy ship will be rendered.  The same thing will be happening on the enemy ship's screen.  It appears as if they have spotted you before you spot them, however this isn't the case in this instance.

I believe they set it up this way to allow for lower spec computers to not be at a disadvantage.

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles
4 hours ago, gunhero said:

I always get detected 1st and I can't detect the opposite DD which have the same detection level with me

It is the same for the enemy DD too. You also appear to them after short delay.

There are other weird behaviors, especially when one ship is already spotted and the other ship was not when coming around a corner or something. If you were spotted (lets say by a plane but not by direct line of sight), when you come out of the corner and there is an enemy, you will spot him after this short delay, while he an see you normally.

Now, I don't know if this has anything to do with server lag, or the implementation, but it is there.

1,486 posts

A related question, why are ships always spotted & visible BEHIND mountains, but as soon as they come into the open (while they are in range) they are invisible ??

Do mountains act as some kind of radar?

Good points in the other answers , things I haven't considered, as I've been wondering the same things myself....

The only thing though, I thought the flags & camos get counted while the game is loading, & they show up as the green +2-3 points higher than enemy in their stats?? (ie. Speed  32 + 4 because of speed flag flying) ??

If not, what are the + & - figures in the loading screen showing (compared to identical ships) ?

Ordrazz

Edited by Ordrazz

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles
46 minutes ago, Ordrazz said:

A related question, why are ships always spotted & visible BEHIND mountains, but as soon as they come into the open (while they are in range) they are invisible ??

I have no clue what this is all about. Since when ships are "always" visible behind mountains??

47 minutes ago, Ordrazz said:

The only thing though, I thought the flags & camos get counted while the game is loading, & they show up as the green +2-3 points higher than enemy in their stats?? (ie. Speed  32 + 4 because of speed flag flying) ??

If not, what are the + & - figures in the loading screen showing (compared to identical ships) ?

The small changes aren't consistent and not reliable at all. Unless you wait till the last 5 seconds in loading screen, game doesn't even show these small differences.

IMO, the values are good for estimating researched modules, hulls, CV load out etc.

[MEGA]
4,563 posts
17,557 battles
1 hour ago, Ordrazz said:

A related question, why are ships always spotted & visible BEHIND mountains, but as soon as they come into the open (while they are in range) they are invisible 

since when does this always happen? in all my 15k games i have never seen anything if the sort happen

1,486 posts

In the minimap, when you see the enemies approach, whether it be one or more, & in main view, they are coming out from behind island, as you can see their icon (as well as in binocular mode), you line up your shot, when they come out into the open they vanish, no smoke, no haze, no glare, & your chance has disappeared....

That's what I'm talking about.

Ordrazz

[MEGA]
4,563 posts
17,557 battles
9 hours ago, Ordrazz said:

In the minimap, when you see the enemies approach, whether it be one or more, & in main view, they are coming out from behind island, as you can see their icon (as well as in binocular mode), you line up your shot, when they come out into the open they vanish, no smoke, no haze, no glare, & your chance has disappeared....

That's what I'm talking about.

Ordrazz

they stopped fireing and went into concealment, or your teammates LOS got cut off, it's the right thing to do when coming out of a island

1,486 posts

No, they were not firing, & they were within my detection ranges, & i was in their detection ranges, there were no team mates spotting, they were not firing at anyone or at me, or team mate...  (How can you fire through a mountain anyway?) & they were battleships & cruisers, which would get spotted anyway.... 

Ordrazz

Edited by Ordrazz

[MEGA]
4,563 posts
17,557 battles
2 hours ago, Ordrazz said:

No, they were not firing, & they were within my detection ranges, & i was in their detection ranges, there were no team mates spotting, they were not firing at anyone or at me, or team mate...  (How can you fire through a mountain anyway?) & they were battleships & cruisers, which would get spotted anyway.... 

Ordrazz

then either there is a rendering lag or they had good enough concealment to be unspotted, dont write off high tier concealment builds on BBs and CAs, BBs can go down to 10.8km and CAs can go down to 9km ish

as for lobbing shells from behind a island... any ship can do it as long as the captain can judge the arcs of the shells and the distance from the island he's hiding behind

1,107 posts
7,844 battles
2 hours ago, Ordrazz said:

Ordrazz

prob air detection ?

they shoot, but the shell hit island - so you dont seems to see their firing 

some random aircraft see that. 

Edited by humusz

273 posts
23,602 battles
17 hours ago, Ordrazz said:

Good points in the other answers , things I haven't considered, as I've been wondering the same things myself....

Ordrazz

They were probably proximity spotted through the landmass by a team mate on the other side of the island (>2km distance) when going around the island, they went out of proximity spotting range.

[WOWMA]
8 posts
7,343 battles

I've tried a few games. Still I got detected before the other side. Both have the same concealment stats (both side loaded, ready, and countdown is at 7 secs before game start).

No aid of LOS from allied ship either side.

Maybe it's the delayed or lag from the server but still I'll get shot from the enemy allied ships before I can visibly see the opponent (not fair T_T)

Perhaps you guys can try and see. Welcome to those to discuss in this topic if the face the same problem.

Thanks

Super Tester
2,725 posts
28 minutes ago, gunhero said:

Both have the same concealment stats

What you are trying to do is to abuse & take advantage of the enemy ship yet it fired back on you.

You must take note that the concealment stats you are comparing to the enemy or allied ship in the loading screen is using stock stats rather the actual stats. So I advise you to stop that. There is nothing wrong with the game, it's you. Which is you are being dependent on the idea that you think is correct.

Edited by Mingfang47

[WOWMA]
8 posts
7,343 battles
2 hours ago, Mingfang47 said:

using stock stats rather the actual stats.

When I'm using a stock ship (no upgrade). Opponent have upgraded hull. Stats in the loading screen shows differences...