Jump to content
SIntreaper

Pan Asia Flag Poll Results

51 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Member
18 posts
24 battles

Original poll here: https://goo.gl/forms/X71tjFIXY1AHEzj93

Disclaimer

The following results are the results of a player-run poll distributed among the NA forums, Asia forums, and r/worldofwarships.  The results are not endorsed by any other party except for myself, including Wargaming, Reddit, or any of the developers.  As this was a player run poll, I open up my results to any analysis that any players, developers, and/or outside observers would like to make.  I expect to be accused of vote manipulation.  These results are not guaranteed to influence Wargaming in any way.  I am also not an AP Stats student.  If you spot an incorrect assumption, please show mercy.  Thank you.

 

Introduction and Methodology

The following results are compiled from the poll linked above, which ran from 17-11-17 to 22-11-17.  The poll collected 387 responses.  One of these responses was by a player who exclusively played on the CN server; as a result, their result was removed.  This was response number 121.  In case you're wondering, I did have to go through 121 responses to find the one person who played only CN.  Thus, with the singular response thrown out, there were 386 responses from RU, EU, NA, SEA, and CN.  Results were compiled into an Excel doc and analyzed.  

 

An asterisk (*) indicates that I lumped similar responses together.  For example, if one response was that they didn't care, and another response was that it didn't really matter, I would lump both together.  In addition, all of the "other" responses are marked as "Other" in the pie charts.  

 

Data Results

Do note the data can be accessed at: https://goo.gl/forms/X71tjFIXY1AHEzj93

 

GfZD76M.png

 

0R2GxCi.png

 

16LHhcD.png

 

NESvk5v.png

 

WpPvT1b.png

 

Analysis

The poll results point to an overwhelming majority of people who want the flag changes to be reverted back to the original situation (IE all ships fly national flags by default).  This poll proves that not all people dislike the national flags, with the majority of the comments pointing to either historical accuracy or pride in their own nations such as Indonesia.  Although a supposed 1.4 billion people from the CN server preferred the generic Pan Asia flag for all of the ships, their results will not be counted in this poll because either way, the result does not affect those on the CN server.  It can be said that Wargaming should not bow to the CN server demands because they are not affected by the flag appearance either way, but I do not necessarily endorse these views.  However, it can be argued that WG should, in fact, keep the generic flags in order to keep with consistency throughout the line.  Either way, the majority of those surveyed who actually play on the main servers believe that Pan Asian DDs should have their national flags back for a multitude of reasons.  

 

I am allowing the use of this survey to be used in other letters, topics, threads, or any other communication akin to the above.  I do not necessarily endorse the views of those who use this poll.  This poll is strictly neutral, with the author attempting to remove as much personal bias as possible.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
902 posts
4,189 battles

I believe the flags should return. WG needs to just apologize for the comment which is what the CN players are pissed off with. Taiwan is divided in this issue, where half the nation wants independence while the other half believes that ROC is the rightful government of China. So essentially, in fear of losing half of the Taiwanese players, WG is deciding on a move that neither satisfies the CN players and pisses off nearly the rest of the players.

 

(Speaking as a Taiwanese player here)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Tester
2,725 posts

The actual link to the result: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfNmqR8lcKNduV0sa7jJx-3ItFIay99y-vipdM2Jt8kXK8fBA/viewanalytics

 

Recommendation:

- The player who literally feels offended on seeing the ROC flag should ask a modder to change it to something else.

Or have KongZhong create & submit modded flag for them to download.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
183 posts
3,790 battles

There's a silver lining at least. WG could finally implement the proper IJN and KM ensign and just hide it by default in the upcoming flag something feature for early 2018. If that happens, I no longer have to download a mod every patch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,479 posts
24 minutes ago, DonnerSushi said:

There's a silver lining at least. WG could finally implement the proper IJN and KM ensign and just hide it by default in the upcoming flag something feature for early 2018. If that happens, I no longer have to download a mod every patch.

 

I second this !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,105 posts
7,834 battles
28 minutes ago, DonnerSushi said:

There's a silver lining at least. WG could finally implement the proper IJN and KM ensign and just hide it by default in the upcoming flag something feature for early 2018. If that happens, I no longer have to download a mod every patch.

they have lots balancing, UI changes and cv revamping to do

this would something that would be on triple digit number on WG to do list (if comunity reaction were lukewarm at most)

 

i wont be surprised if they swept it under the rug and forget about it

they have timetables, and as far as I concerned they seems frantic from being behind schedule .

 

squishing things like this require major UI and port changes . its prob come around when player can finaly do ship customization

2018 ? I very skeptical lol 

Edited by humusz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LBAS]
Member
4,454 posts
25,589 battles

1st thing :Stupid Dragon sheep in Premium shop

2nd thing: stupid Dragon flag << caused by the stupid power and brains

.... << whats next? Big thing has small beginning huh?

Edited by MatterCore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
636 posts
3,472 battles

You know, those Ultra nationalist user should stop complaining whats flag is flag of whoever your patriotic nation is. What do they owned you?  Just shut up and play the game.

Without the Original Historical Flag, this will might as well Arcadey and non-REALISTIC . ROC whatever you talk about your nation. Like people should not talk political racism at this top above level which really pisses some of us off for them becoming level 100 ultra nationalist xenophobic type.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
154 posts
345 battles
43 minutes ago, LawrenceXVIII said:

You know, those Ultra nationalist user should stop complaining whats flag is flag of whoever your patriotic nation is. What do they owned you?  Just shut up and play the game.

 

jayalah_indonesia_ku_by_firnadi-d46ukle.

 

WE WANT OUR FLAG!!!

___________________________

huft..... i am already invite people to play WoWs because there is Gadjah Mada and our flag in there......

most of them is disappointed and go back playing "MOBA Analog"

 

 

____________________________________________________________

 

i dont understand, why loving our country so much is considered wrong?

 

if people think Indonesia people are idiot and stupid they are right.....

since we are idiot and stupid, we will do anything to defend our last pride!

 

____________________-

 

aye, anyone have a guide how to reskin flag and camo? i want to create my own mod

also, how to create voice pack mod??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,329 posts
8,812 battles
4 hours ago, humusz said:

squishing things like this require major UI and port changes . its prob come around when player can finaly do ship customization

2018 ? I very skeptical lol 

I hope not.

I don't think it will be too complicated though. We already have things like the anime and Halloween filters, and the alternative camos for IJN ships via the Yamamoto collection. So hopefully it won't take too long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,105 posts
7,834 battles
55 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

I hope not.

I don't think it will be too complicated though. We already have things like the anime and Halloween filters, and the alternative camos for IJN ships via the Yamamoto collection. So hopefully it won't take too long.

well im skeptical

mid 2018 is the fastest WG can deliver IMO

 

arpegio filter took them what ? almost a year ? Hollowen filter is fast implemented because its made use of already existing filter

I dont think that require building from ground up, if WG bump it on top of their list, it can be done fast

.

the problem were not heavy technical difficulty, but somewhat like Arpegio, this is far from "Urgent".

unless people being realy vocal about it.

this also more concerning for Asian players, thats unlike American - Asian usualy less vocal about things (also less populated ? not to mention Japan player might not find it a pressing matter and they have substansial numbers that make up server population also AUS/NZ player that mostly being neutrals - so its not enough to even warrant a serverwide concern imo)

did other language section have voiced their concern too ? idk about that. but English section seems have lukewarm reception - If I were WG, I dont even feel any urgency or pressure 

Edited by humusz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,329 posts
8,812 battles
40 minutes ago, humusz said:

the problem were not heavy technical difficulty, but somewhat like Arpegio, this is far from "Urgent".

unless people being realy vocal about it.

this also more concerning for Asian players, thats unlike American - Asian usualy less vocal about things

did other language section have voiced their concern too ? idk about that. but English section seems have lukewarm reception - If I were WG, I dont even feel any urgency or pressure

Fingers crossed I guess. It is not fair that other nations have to suffer for this just because of one country.

2 hours ago, Rwasknum said:

i dont understand, why loving our country so much is considered wrong?

There is nothing wrong with loving your country, but some people love their country too much ... like the person who got offended and wrote a letter to the embassy, starting this whole mess in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
636 posts
3,472 battles
2 hours ago, Rwasknum said:

 

 

 

i dont understand, why loving our country so much is considered wrong?

 

 

 

We do love our country but however there is a Big Consequences , they may turned into Ultra Nationalist brainwashed racism against other nations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NYANG]
Member
454 posts
5,926 battles
7 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Let me go Sharkbait mode

 

When shall we get E Dragon!! WG is now starting to hurt muh feelin' for dragons at this point...

 

When WG needs our money....

That is the answer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

The Indonesian/South Korean/Thai/ROC flag should be kept, there is overwhelming consensus among players who play on this server. It should not be censored to protect the feelings for a group of people that aren't even catered to by this server - NA/EU/Asia/RU servers are not supposed to cover mainland China in the first place.

 

If any PRC Chinese player is offended by the Taiwan/ROC flag, they should be the ones who need to use mods to remove the flag from their game client.

 

If a PRC Chinese player chooses to play outside of the CN server run by KongZhong Corporation, they need to accept the consequence that they might see something that offends them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
154 posts
345 battles
7 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

There is nothing wrong with loving your country, but some people love their country too much ... like the person who got offended and wrote a letter to the embassy, starting this whole mess in the first place.

 

7 hours ago, LawrenceXVIII said:

We do love our country but however there is a Big Consequences , they may turned into Ultra Nationalist brainwashed racism against other nations.

well, i dont want to talk politic here (as it rule). but i need to clarify something

there is HUGE different between those racist fascist and our ultra ultra nationalist.....

First, WE DONT LIKE RACISM.... everyone is threated equal, even our country motto is saying "Bhinnea Tunggal Ika" = "Different but as One"

Second, We dont like any kind of invasion.... including intervention from other country to change our flag in game [we wont give a sheet if WG itself change the flag]

Third, our country nationalism COME FROM BLOODY HELL OF WAR.... if you read our history, you will understand why we look like this.

fourth,..........

fifth, because the current invasive PLA nature..... well, every country simply dont like it

 

press ctrl+A to read or select the hidden image. we shouldnt talk about politic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
163 posts
7,901 battles
2 hours ago, benlisquare said:

The Indonesian/South Korean/Thai/ROC flag should be kept, there is overwhelming consensus among players who play on this server. It should not be censored to protect the feelings for a group of people that aren't even catered to by this server - NA/EU/Asia/RU servers are not supposed to cover mainland China in the first place.

 

If any PRC Chinese player is offended by the Taiwan/ROC flag, they should be the ones who need to use mods to remove the flag from their game client.

 

If a PRC Chinese player chooses to play outside of the CN server run by KongZhong Corporation, they need to accept the consequence that they might see something that offends them.

*Raises cup*

*Applause*

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
163 posts
7,901 battles

Heading to alternative history, I wonder how things would have turned out if the Tzar/Romanov family made it out and set up a separate state on an island outside the mainland that eventually became an industrial state (yes a complete stretch I know!).  Each government proclaiming they were the only legitimate one, two Russia's.

Wonder what kind of ships a WW2 era Imperial Russian navy might of had?

I am not trolling.  Massive Phillip K Dick fan, especially The Man in the High Castle, an alternative history novel where Japan and Germany won the war.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alternate_history_fiction

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,068 posts
3,845 battles
5 hours ago, benlisquare said:

The Indonesian/South Korean/Thai/ROC flag should be kept, there is overwhelming consensus among players who play on this server. It should not be censored to protect the feelings for a group of people that aren't even catered to by this server - NA/EU/Asia/RU servers are not supposed to cover mainland China in the first place.

 

If any PRC Chinese player is offended by the Taiwan/ROC flag, they should be the ones who need to use mods to remove the flag from their game client.

 

If a PRC Chinese player chooses to play outside of the CN server run by KongZhong Corporation, they need to accept the consequence that they might see something that offends them.

Bravo! You said it a lot more nicer than I could have!

The Chinese flag has just as much dirt on it as the Russian one in game,but they censor the Taiwan flag?Stop pandering to the wrong groups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,386 posts
8,216 battles

Asia region not covering mainland China? Then why does the .com (NA) page (and other WG pages) suggests me to go .asia, not the KongZhong server?

 

I guess WG and you guys misinterpreted the nature of this dispute. It is not about what flags each ship is flying. If that was the case, the dispute should have happened ages ago when An Shan (flying PLAN flag) and Lo Yang (flying ROCN flag) was released.

This dispute happened due to an announcement by EU region. The sentence was like this "the branch contains ships from five different nations, South Korea, Thailand, Indonesia, China and Taiwan". While technically the definition of "nation" does not always require sovereignty, it does feel like implying that Taiwan and China are two separate entities. The Chinese culture has a strong emphasis on the value of unity and central government, and Taiwan being separated from the entity of China is against this value. Additionally, advocates of Taiwan claiming independence often uses racist insults against mainland Chinese, causing a general resentment towards the advocates of Taiwan independence among Chinese online communities (I can’t say I don’t share this resentment but I am trying to make my post as unbiased as possible). While in practice the governing body of Taiwan has it’s own law system, it’s own resident ID, own passport and everything, and is not under the administration of a higher level of government (unlike HK SAR), it, and the socialist government of mainland, both claim sovereignty over both mainland and Taiwan and both claim to be the righteous government of China. Thus, Taiwan is currently, and IMO in the foreseeable future, not independent.

BTW if you guys wonder what was that customer service ticket mentioned in WG’s announcement about, it was the staff replying to a ticket on the homepage issue, and claiming firmly “Taiwan is a nation”, this triggered Chinese even further and led to WG’s responses.

On this matter, IMO WG is overreacting. The sovereignty and legitimacy of a governing body is a political point of view, but the existence of a navy is a fact, heck even Mongolia has a navy. Simply refer to the names and flags of navies would avoid any political disputes. Instead of China and Taiwan, use PLAN and ROCN. No one’s gonna deny that “those guys across the channel has a navy”.

Most Chinese players do not reject seeing the "blue sky and white sun" flag, don’t get that wrong.

I hope my post seem reasonable to you guys… took me quite some time to compose on my phone…

B8645692-733A-4002-931D-3FEFD2B7585D.png

Edited by HMS_Swiftsure_08

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,329 posts
8,812 battles
7 hours ago, Rwasknum said:

 

well, i dont want to talk politic here (as it rule). but i need to clarify something

there is HUGE different between those racist fascist and our ultra ultra nationalist.....

Eh, not sure why you quoted me there. I didn't say anything about facism.

As for my quote, I was referring to the person who sparked this issue in the first place, not to Indonesians.

Edited by Thyaliad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
3 posts
3,160 battles
24 minutes ago, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

 

I guess WG and you guys misinterpreted the nature of this dispute. It is not about what flags each ship is flying. If that was the case, the dispute should have happened ages ago when An Shan (flying PLAN flag) and Lo Yang (flying ROCN flag) was released.

 

Truly enough.  As far as I know plenty of players in asia server are from mainland China. The ROCN flag flying by Lo Yang didn't make anyone piss out.

Flags are censored in CN server because of laws in China, still players on CN server can, and some will, install mods to obtain original historical flags.

Other servers shouldn't be affected by Chinese laws, thus flags shouldn't be censored on our servers.

 

I have a feeling that it would cause more trouble in near future, if a Korean/Thai/Indonesian vessel have to use a Chinese captain and/or don't have the right national voiceovers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,068 posts
3,845 battles
59 minutes ago, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

Asia region not covering mainland China? Then why does the .com (NA) page (and other WG pages) suggests me to go .asia, not the KongZhong server?

 

I guess WG and you guys misinterpreted the nature of this dispute. It is not about what flags each ship is flying. If that was the case, the dispute should have happened ages ago when An Shan (flying PLAN flag) and Lo Yang (flying ROCN flag) was released.

This dispute happened due to an announcement by EU region. The sentence was like this "the branch contains ships from five different nations, South Korea, Thailand, Indonesia, China and Taiwan". While technically the definition of "nation" does not always require sovereignty, it does feel like implying that Taiwan and China are two separate entities. The Chinese culture has a strong emphasis on the value of unity and central government, and Taiwan being separated from the entity of China is against this value. Additionally, advocates of Taiwan claiming independence often uses racist insults against mainland Chinese, causing a general resentment towards the advocates of Taiwan independence among Chinese online communities (I can’t say I don’t share this resentment but I am trying to make my post as unbiased as possible). While in practice the governing body of Taiwan has it’s own law system, it’s own resident ID, own passport and everything, and is not under the administration of a higher level of government (unlike HK SAR), it, and the socialist government of mainland, both claim sovereignty over both mainland and Taiwan and both claim to be the righteous government of China. Thus, Taiwan is currently, and IMO in the foreseeable future, not independent.

BTW if you guys wonder what was that customer service ticket mentioned in WG’s announcement about, it was the staff replying to a ticket on the homepage issue, and claiming firmly “Taiwan is a nation”, this triggered Chinese even further and led to WG’s responses.

On this matter, IMO WG is overreacting. The sovereignty and legitimacy of a governing body is a political point of view, but the existence of a navy is a fact, heck even Mongolia has a navy. Simply refer to the names and flags of navies would avoid any political disputes. Instead of China and Taiwan, use PLAN and ROCN. No one’s gonna deny that “those guys across the channel has a navy”.

Most Chinese players do not reject seeing the "blue sky and white sun" flag, don’t get that wrong.

I hope my post seem reasonable to you guys… took me quite some time to compose on my phone…

 

I am not expressing myself fully due to not wanting to be banned due to forum rules ( I did though on one of the WoWs Facebook pages though!).

Basically I don't care WHAT China rulers think due to its type of government.And any kowtowing by or any nation or body to appease them is not acceptable.I haven't read everything fully,but it seems as though Taiwan is under pressure to keep the Chinese happy,and everyone else is sucking up to the Chinese due money or fear.And stupid laws have been enacted to enforce China's view.

When China becomes a democracy,then they can be listened to.Not that democracy is that great for those of us that have it anyway!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×