Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Spotter

Regarding our Stance on the Political Geography of ASIA

34 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

WG Staff
461 posts
525 battles

Commanders,

There is currently an ongoing discussion regarding our stance on the political geography of ASIA, specifically concerning Taiwanese sovereignty in regards to a comment made in reply to a customer’s support ticket. That comment does not constitute the official position of Wargaming.net, but the personal view of that employee. As a company we do not have a political stance, affiliation or agenda – our mission is to create great games, globally and with passion. We sincerely apologize for this statement and will take steps to make sure our messaging remains apolitical in the future.

World of Warships and other games in our portfolio are about vehicles, their technologies and engineering, based in certain historical periods – not about the struggles of the nations who built them. In portraying our ships we draw on information from various sources, from blueprints to news articles and photographs – often from different places and periods. We want to depict them as close to their historical, real-life state as we can, in order to create a better sense of immersion and a stunning visual experience for our players. Whenever possible, this includes the flags and pennants they sailed under during the period the ship represents in the game. Time and again, this brings us into conflict with a part of our audience who raise concerns about these flags or the ships themselves in many different contexts. Our goal has always been to bring warships, naval combat and naval engineering closer to as many enthusiasts around the world as possible. We want to address these current concerns around the national affiliation of Pan-Asian nation branches as best we can for the majority of our audience, just as we have done with similar issues in the past.

Therefore, we will replace the flags on all Pan-Asian ships with the neutral Pan-Asian nation flag upon the release of the upcoming destroyer line. We hope this will remove the controversy and allow players to focus on the ships, their characteristics and gameplay.

However, to allow our regional communities the ability to customize their World of Warships experience, we will also introduce a feature that will give players the option to replace the default flag on their ship with a different one, chosen from a preset number of different variants. You will be able to change the flag for each ship in your port separately and this choice will be reflected on each instance of that ship you see in the game. Each player will always see only the flags they have chosen for each ship, regardless of whether they are on the players’ own ship, an allied or an enemy ship. We are starting the development of this feature immediately and believe we can deliver it to you early in 2018.

We sincerely apologize for any distress or inconvenience this situation has caused to our players. We hope that you will find the solution satisfactory and can continue enjoying our massive naval battles with no other emotion than pure fun. We would also like to thank our community for raising the issue and helping to improve our game. Together we can make World of Warships even more epic!

 

Sincerely,

Spotter - Game Master Lead

Wargaming ASIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Tester
209 posts
1 minute ago, MatterCore said:

what full branch with 1 flag only (dragon flag), no ROCN PLAN ROK flags ??? :cap_fainting:

whats wrong with flag ??? :fish_panic:

 

in my opinion, flag isn't matter. what makes some player's anger is the description in NA/EU WOWS portal.

once apologize is out with the changed description,it's fine for me to see those flag in game.

I'm also looking forward to that new function.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[COAT]
Member
1,182 posts
10,123 battles
2 hours ago, Spotter said:

Commanders,

There is currently an ongoing discussion regarding our stance on the political geography of ASIA, specifically concerning Taiwanese sovereignty in regards to a comment made in reply to a customer’s support ticket. That comment does not constitute the official position of Wargaming.net, but the personal view of that employee. As a company we do not have a political stance, affiliation or agenda – our mission is to create great games, globally and with passion. We sincerely apologize for this statement and will take steps to make sure our messaging remains apolitical in the future.

World of Warships and other games in our portfolio are about vehicles, their technologies and engineering, based in certain historical periods – not about the struggles of the nations who built them. In portraying our ships we draw on information from various sources, from blueprints to news articles and photographs – often from different places and periods. We want to depict them as close to their historical, real-life state as we can, in order to create a better sense of immersion and a stunning visual experience for our players. Whenever possible, this includes the flags and pennants they sailed under during the period the ship represents in the game. Time and again, this brings us into conflict with a part of our audience who raise concerns about these flags or the ships themselves in many different contexts. Our goal has always been to bring warships, naval combat and naval engineering closer to as many enthusiasts around the world as possible. We want to address these current concerns around the national affiliation of Pan-Asian nation branches as best we can for the majority of our audience, just as we have done with similar issues in the past.

Therefore, we will replace the flags on all Pan-Asian ships with the neutral Pan-Asian nation flag upon the release of the upcoming destroyer line. We hope this will remove the controversy and allow players to focus on the ships, their characteristics and gameplay.

However, to allow our regional communities the ability to customize their World of Warships experience, we will also introduce a feature that will give players the option to replace the default flag on their ship with a different one, chosen from a preset number of different variants. You will be able to change the flag for each ship in your port separately and this choice will be reflected on each instance of that ship you see in the game. Each player will always see only the flags they have chosen for each ship, regardless of whether they are on the players’ own ship, an allied or an enemy ship. We are starting the development of this feature immediately and believe we can deliver it to you early in 2018.

We sincerely apologize for any distress or inconvenience this situation has caused to our players. We hope that you will find the solution satisfactory and can continue enjoying our massive naval battles with no other emotion than pure fun. We would also like to thank our community for raising the issue and helping to improve our game. Together we can make World of Warships even more epic!

 

Sincerely,

Spotter - Game Master Lead

Wargaming ASIA

 

2 hours ago, MatterCore said:

what full branch with 1 flag only (dragon flag), no ROCN PLAN ROK flags ??? :cap_fainting:

whats wrong with flag ??? :fish_panic:

What makes players from Mainland China angry is not the flag,but the EU staff's(He is representing  WG legally) wrong response and the mistake in WOWs's EU official website:It regard Taiwan District as a "nation",same as China.(Chinese players NEVER ASKED OF CHANGING FLAG)

 

This is wrong.WG's country,Belarus,also accept "One China" Principle in Article 3 of《Agreement on establishing diplomatic relations between People's Republic of China and Republic of Belarus》.

 

As for US:

Article 2.The United States of America recognizes the Government of the People's Republic of China as the sole legal Government of China. Within this context, the people of the United States will maintain cultural, commercial, and other unofficial relations with the people of Taiwan.

Article 7.The Government of the United States of America acknowledges the Chinese position that there is but one China and Taiwan is part of China.

---《Joint communique of the people's Republic of China and the United States on the establishment of diplomatic relations》

 

So is any other country who has established diplomatic relation with PRC.They must accept "One China" Principle(i.e:Taiwan is a part of China,it is not a nation) if they want to establish diplomatic relation with PRC,this is a BASIC PRINCIPLE(You can take it as Chinese Political Correctness).

 

Also in Taiwan District,their local Government call themselves "Republic of China",and Taiwan is just a province of "ROC Free District"(Another part is Jinmen Island in Fujian Province,which is also under its control).

In their"constitution" <ROC Constitution>,Article 4 says"Without the resolution of National Congress,the territory of ROC shall not change".Legally speaking,its capital is Nanjing,though it doesn't actually control it.

So from the legal perspective of both sides,Taiwan is just a district,a part of China(Though there may be further discussion about whether PRC or ROC is the legal government,also the other territories).But anyway,Taiwan is not a country,it is a part of China.

Edited by Kim_JongMion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[COAT]
Member
1,182 posts
10,123 battles
54 minutes ago, MatterCore said:

no more historical flags , no more history :fish_palm:

whats the stupid head, flat brain :etc_swear::etc_swear:

At least I and other Chinese friends in my Clan don't mind the historical flag.But what we care about is,Taiwan is not a nation,it is a part of China.

Also actually it has nothing to do with ASIAN server,it is EU staff's misbehavior.

Edited by Kim_JongMion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[COAT]
Member
1,182 posts
10,123 battles

Personally I suggest using PRC and ROC to remove the controversy.If it may cause confusion,you can say"PRC(Mainland China)" and "ROC(Taiwan District)",but never make "Taiwan" a parallel concept of "China":China is a nation,Taiwan is not,from the Constitution of both sides

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LNA]
Member
1,659 posts
10,430 battles

Now this got me confused a bit , can anyone elaborate :

What i understand is that Chinese communities are outraged by Taiwan as a nation and whatnot.

I dont understand why it is a big deal as Taiwan is as independent from mainland IRL as it can get and it maintain its own armed force.

This is mostly a political jinx and the very problem between ROC and PRC is not yet resolved, it is just a consensus agreement to disagree.

Controversial or not shouldnt affect a game.

Fix the description , put on a notice is good enough , why change de flag ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[COAT]
Member
1,182 posts
10,123 battles
47 minutes ago, legionary2099 said:

Now this got me confused a bit , can anyone elaborate :

What i understand is that Chinese communities are outraged by Taiwan as a nation and whatnot.

I dont understand why it is a big deal as Taiwan is as independent from mainland IRL as it can get and it maintain its own armed force.

This is mostly a political jinx and the very problem between ROC and PRC is not yet resolved, it is just a consensus agreement to disagree.

Controversial or not shouldnt affect a game.

Fix the description , put on a notice is good enough , why change de flag ?

Actually what Mainland China's player want is not change the flag(At least the Chinese players in my Clan like historical ones),but want WG's EU staff to apologize,and change the wrong words in website and admit "One China" Principle(They NEVER ASKED WG to change flag).

But WG don' dare say it directly(or they may lose some payers from Taiwan District),also they want to cease it,so they choose to change flag.

Also,in the constitution of both sides,Taiwan is a part of China.In 1992,the representatives from Mainland China and Taiwan District agreed that both sides belong to the same China,but both side can have its own illustration of the definition of "China"(i.e who is the legal government)(The 1992 Consensus)

Edited by Kim_JongMion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
455 posts
8,038 battles
6 minutes ago, Kim_JongMion said:

Actually what Mainland China's player want is not change the flag(At least the Chinese players in my Clan like historical ones),but want WG's EU staff to apologize,and change the wrong words in website and admit "One China" Principle.

OR,
Maybe keep your stupid politics out of the goddamn game.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[COAT]
Member
1,182 posts
10,123 battles
33 minutes ago, Adm_Kunkka said:

OR,
Maybe keep your stupid politics out of the goddamn game.
 

What the players angry IS NOT THE FLAG(They NEVER asked to change it),but what EU staff said.

Edited by Kim_JongMion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[COAT]
Member
1,182 posts
10,123 battles
5 minutes ago, humusz said:

where this fiasco happen ?

 

any link or something?

 

https://m.weibo.cn/status/4174839554679231

The key point is EU staff's improper response.(see picture 4&5)

Chinese players NEVER ASKED OF CHANGING FLAG.

Edited by Kim_JongMion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Tester
1,296 posts
9,726 battles

This was apparently sent to the Chinese Embassy in Britain.

 

Spoiler

Translation

Hello, I am a Chinese citizen who studying in the UK and spend the free time playing a game called "World of warships" (hereinafter referred to as "wows") owned by Wargaming.net (hereafter referred to as WG). Recently, the developer of this game announced Pan Asia Tech Tree will be updated to rejuvenate players in China and Asia. The technology tree includes the Chinese People's Navy's RTN, Indonesian Navy, ROKN and ROCN. In its announcement on the Official Website of Games Europe and North America, The method of expressing the Republic of China is 'the Republic of China (Taiwan).' Its practice of bracketed and commenting on Taiwan after the Republic's China "is to recognize Taiwan as the Republic of China and an independent political power and recognize Taiwan's independence. In the separate introduction of naval vessels, "China" and "Taiwan" will be taken as the same status as Taiwan and the People's Republic of China.

Not long after the announcement, players immediately spotted the problem and corrected it in comments, but the official website did not respond. After that, the mistake was found by members of our clan and decided to report the problem to the official website management and request a revision after discussion in our clan. This problem has not been found in the official website of Asia and it is impossible to know whether the official website for RU exist the same problem due to a language barrier. We subsequently received a response from the WG staff, but replie and approach from WG's attitude is disappointing. From the reply, WG staff directly recognize Taiwan as an independent regime, and refused to amend the error content from official website. WG company's products are also operating in mainland China, by the KongZhong(www.kongzhong.net). As a citizen of the People 's Republic of China living abroad, I know that my daily behavior represents the country's image and has always been kind with people. At the same time, we resolutely uphold the sovereignty and dignity of our country, persist to the one-China policy, refuse Taiwan independence. When dealing with students from Taiwan, I avoid political problems. After the WG failed to make any representations, I decided to ask the Foreign Ministry for pressure from the WG modify the announcement and face up to the Taiwan issue.

 
 

 

 

email to chinese embassy.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
455 posts
8,038 battles
7 minutes ago, Kim_JongMion said:

What the players angry IS NOT THE FLAG(They NEVER asked to change it),but what EU staff said.

I got that sound and clear.

From what I read, the staff called Taiwan an independent regime, which is very much is because there is a government in Taiwan running the territory completely independently and even if most major countries dont recognise them as a country (even though they have diplomatic relationships anyway cos lulz) they are still an independent entity

You cant push the political correctness accepted normally in your own country onto a goddamn game, just stop trying to bring your politics into this and play the game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[COAT]
Member
1,182 posts
10,123 battles
7 minutes ago, HeroOfWind said:

This was apparently sent to the Chinese Embassy in Britain.

 

  Reveal hidden contents

Translation

Hello, I am a Chinese citizen who studying in the UK and spend the free time playing a game called "World of warships" (hereinafter referred to as "wows") owned by Wargaming.net (hereafter referred to as WG). Recently, the developer of this game announced Pan Asia Tech Tree will be updated to rejuvenate players in China and Asia. The technology tree includes the Chinese People's Navy's RTN, Indonesian Navy, ROKN and ROCN. In its announcement on the Official Website of Games Europe and North America, The method of expressing the Republic of China is 'the Republic of China (Taiwan).' Its practice of bracketed and commenting on Taiwan after the Republic's China "is to recognize Taiwan as the Republic of China and an independent political power and recognize Taiwan's independence. In the separate introduction of naval vessels, "China" and "Taiwan" will be taken as the same status as Taiwan and the People's Republic of China.

Not long after the announcement, players immediately spotted the problem and corrected it in comments, but the official website did not respond. After that, the mistake was found by members of our clan and decided to report the problem to the official website management and request a revision after discussion in our clan. This problem has not been found in the official website of Asia and it is impossible to know whether the official website for RU exist the same problem due to a language barrier. We subsequently received a response from the WG staff, but replie and approach from WG's attitude is disappointing. From the reply, WG staff directly recognize Taiwan as an independent regime, and refused to amend the error content from official website. WG company's products are also operating in mainland China, by the KongZhong(www.kongzhong.net). As a citizen of the People 's Republic of China living abroad, I know that my daily behavior represents the country's image and has always been kind with people. At the same time, we resolutely uphold the sovereignty and dignity of our country, persist to the one-China policy, refuse Taiwan independence. When dealing with students from Taiwan, I avoid political problems. After the WG failed to make any representations, I decided to ask the Foreign Ministry for pressure from the WG modify the announcement and face up to the Taiwan issue.

 
 

 

 

email to chinese embassy.png

Actually it is about EU server and has nothing to do with SEA......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Tester
1,296 posts
9,726 battles
1 hour ago, Kim_JongMion said:

Actually what Mainland China's player want is not change the flag(At least the Chinese players in my Clan like historical ones),but want WG's EU staff to apologize,and change the wrong words in website.

 

3 hours ago, Spotter said:

Commanders,

-snip-

We sincerely apologize for any distress or inconvenience this situation has caused to our players.

 

-snip-

 

Sincerely,

Spotter - Game Master Lead

Wargaming ASIA

 

Unless they want someone from EU side to apologize? Since the whole fiasco was on EU after all.

 

Edit: I'll let someone else explain who exactly is Spotter in WG since its 1am here.

Edited by HeroOfWind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1 post
4,199 battles

Seems to me someone's heart is broken by a game's virtual flag on those ships...Man when will they learn to keep politics out of this?

I have seen enough of these in real life...and some people just have to ruin the day.

Because you are heartbroken by a virtual flag, you wanted to take it away because politics?

Come on. Get over with it.

Oh, and just in case someone want to say I don't understand,  I live in one of the SARs of PRC China, and I have seen my fair shares of what the PRC's citizen doings, which is just nasty.

And before someone marches in and yell about your politics, I will just leave this quote here - It's always possible to wake someone from sleep, but no amount of noise will wake someone who is pretending to be asleep.

Edited by ro500_rocks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,107 posts
7,844 battles
1 hour ago, Kim_JongMion said:

https://m.weibo.cn/status/4174839554679231

The key point is EU staff's improper response.(see picture 4&5)

Chinese players NEVER ASKED OF CHANGING FLAG.

 

well the flag or even Republic of China should not be the point.

PRC "One China Principle" basicly acknowladge that at one times during their history, they once named Republic of China

 

the problem were WG staff specificly mention "(Taiwan)"

if they just say Republic of China, they wont be triggered

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LBAS]
Beta Tester
324 posts

*reminds himself what was his first warning from this forum was about*...

If you want to discuss this matter there are always change.org and many many other places (hi Reddit) to talk about?

P.S. I am surprised that mod did not lock replies straight away.

Edited by spixys
oh! 1 more thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LBAS]
Member
4,468 posts
25,632 battles

Taiwan is Taiwan << wanna change >> tell that to the Government, the rulers

disgusting complain

another stupid ambassador >> just read the complain of a stupid student and ruin the game

disgusting flag changes

completely stupid

yet another disaster of this year

 

Delete PAN ASIA DDs out of the game and problem will be solved

Edited by MatterCore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×