Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Bengal_Tiger23

HMAS Ships and the White Ensign / HMAS Vampire

16 comments in this topic

201 posts
1,732 battles

Hi Guy's

With the pending release of HMAS Vampire I, I thought some info for the "Younglings" amongst us may be of interest. (I really don't know what they are being taught in school these days).

Firstly:-

The White Ensign was assigned to RAN ships with the "Commonwealth Naval Act" of 1913. This lasted until 1/3/1967 when with the involvement of the RAN in operations not connected with RN ships required the use of our own Ensign. Thus our current ensign was created.

Secondly:-

HMAS Vampire 1
Battle Honours
CALABRIA           1940
LIBYA                   1940-41
GREECE                1941
CRETE                   1941
INDIAN OCEAN     1941-42
Sunk by enemy aircraft  ( 9th April  1942 )
Commanding Officer
Commander William T. A. Moran RAN   KIA ( 9th April 1942 )
Lest We Forget 

Alex

B_T23
Edited by Bengal_Tiger23

201 posts
1,732 battles

Sorry guy's.

I forgot too mention the missing torpedo launcher in the above post.

In 1938 with War looming, the decision was taken too recommission Vampire along with Voyager, Vendetta and Waterhen. At this point in time, HMAS Stuart was our only destroyer worthy of the name. As part of the refit of these ships,the removal of the second (rear) torpedo launcher and replacement with improved AA was decided on. Vampire received an extra 4 barrel Pom Pom in this position. The other ships received 4x.5inch Vickers machine guns. 

These five ships became our only destroyers at the beginning of WWII. When sent to the Mediterranean, Lord Haw Haw described them as "so much scrap iron". Hence the name. "Scrap iron flotilla". A name the crews carried with pride.

Alex

B_T23

Edited by Bengal_Tiger23

201 posts
1,732 battles

Hi Guys,

She is finally here. Available in the Premium shop or thru the Vampire event. Yes.:cap_like:

I was wondering whether others are going to try for her via the event or purchase outright. Personally, with Christmas expenses upon us, I'll try the event first. Its what I'm doing anyway.

There again, with the "Busyness" of this time of year, I might just have to dig deep. Grrrr.

Alex 

B_T23

Edited by Bengal_Tiger23

Beta Tester
34 posts
1,943 battles

She's a bit of a light weight, but as an Australian player, a must have for me.

Now if we could only get the 'Commonwealth' tech tree listing working, they have a one ship Polish tech tree, but no Commonwealth despite now having both a cruiser and destroyer.

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,569 battles
2 minutes ago, unicornpr said:

She's a bit of a light weight, but as an Australian player, a must have for me.

Now if we could only get the 'Commonwealth' tech tree listing working, they have a one ship Polish tech tree, but no Commonwealth despite now having both a cruiser and destroyer.

well, if you consider the vampire just came out and the perth is now not for sale anymore and WG knew that they were going to change the smoke fireing mahenic that made it so strong , unlike the blyws which has been available in the tech tree since... 2 years ago around this time? it's not really that strange

Super Tester
7,578 posts
8,005 battles
2 hours ago, unicornpr said:

Tech trees only containing premium ships do not appear normally unless one or more from those are purchasable by doubloons. That's why you see the Polish tech tree but not the Commonwealth one. So, like it was mentioned before, only option now is the tech tree mods available in Aslain's pack. 

[LBAS]
4,499 posts
25,682 battles
18 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

Tech trees only containing premium ships do not appear normally unless one or more from those are purchasable by doubloons. That's why you see the Polish tech tree but not the Commonwealth one. So, like it was mentioned before, only option now is the tech tree mods available in Aslain's pack. 

from the root >> https://cloud.mail.ru/public/6cGU/dJSToYcS5 << 0.6.14.1

Edited by MatterCore

201 posts
1,732 battles

Hi Guys,

I've been looking at Vampire in game. Something of interest. Her outfit in game appears too include modifications made at Alexandra after joining the "Mediterranean Fleet". Certain changes to her AA can be seen plus the addition "For the time", of a very heavy ASW outfit. Of particular interest is the fitting of the K gun depth charge launchers plus reloads around the position of the replaced rear torpedo tubes. This would suggest a mid 1940 outfit. Considering the extraordinary efforts of the naval yard at Alexandra, this would not be surprising. 

Hoping this little titbit of info will interest you.

Alex

B_T23

PS. A lot of info regarding changes made to vessels on the spot at Alexandra appear too be lost to time. At least to my limited resources.

PPS. I had to buy her. Far too busy ATM.

Edited by Bengal_Tiger23

64 posts
6,474 battles

I've played Vampire a few times now and find it to bee a good ship. With one exception, the wide setting on torpedoes is set too wide. All the other ship I've played that had 1 torpedo as the narrow setting used the normal narrow setting as their wide. Vampire is using the normal wide as it's wide setting. It makes it difficult to put more than one torpedo into a target.

Sign in to follow this