don_WarDaddy_AVI

noob friendly Destroyer line ?

26 comments in this topic

26 posts

Hey guys... i'm pretty new to wows and want u guys advice regarding a noob friendly Destroyer line ? (also, does german Destroyers are good to go ?)

Edited by don_WarDaddy_AVI

[LBAS]
4,494 posts
25,673 battles
33 minutes ago, don_WarDaddy_AVI said:

pardon me but what's VMF and KM ? :cap_wander:

ah, I forgot you just a new one

USN=United States Navy

IJN= Imperial Japanese Navy

VMF ~ Soviet Navy

KM=Kriegsmarine ~ German Navy

RN=Royal Navy (Britannia~UK)

MN=Marine Nationale ~ French Navy

RM=Regia Marina ~ Italian Navy

PLAN= Chinese Navy

ROCN= Taiwan Navy

ROK= Korean Navy

Edited by MatterCore

10 posts
12,344 battles

The game itself is not DD friendly, but low to mid tier USN is probably best for less experienced players. German DDs are definitely not for beginners either. I personally like IJN DDs, but that's because I like making wall of torpedo. :Smile-_tongue:

56 posts
8,379 battles

but if u play KM DD at the first time
I think "the rest" line would be easier to play

that's my opinion

Super Tester
7,566 posts
8,001 battles
19 hours ago, AntifoulAwl said:

i don't think any of the destroyer lines are noob friendly.

14 hours ago, EdwardKenway1717 said:

The game itself is not DD friendly, but low to mid tier USN is probably best for less experienced players. German DDs are definitely not for beginners either. I personally like IJN DDs, but that's because I like making wall of torpedo. :Smile-_tongue:

Agree with this totally. Playing DD requires a lot of discipline. Definitely not very friendly for starters. But then again, they are not very hard to learn either. Its just that playing DD at very high tiers is no longer much fun due to immense amount of spotting mechanism being added to every new ship.

3 hours ago, Ice_12345 said:

but if u play KM DD at the first time
I think "the rest" line would be easier to play

that's my opinion

I disagree. KM DDs are hybrids. They lie between gunboat and torp spammers. You basically need to learn to both style. Also, they have hydro, which is a double edge sword for new players. Consumables will often encourage you to over extend. And if you don't know how to use them properly, you are not utilizing the full potential. Besides, you also need to know how to properly switch ammo type. Tell me how any of these sound noob friendly or proper for a first line.

Now starting from VMF, you need to know where to go and which enemy to spam, how to evade while running and gunning, and most importantly, how to support your friendly high concealment DDs.

Then there is USN line, basically the Swiss Army Knife of DDs. They do everything extremely well and they have the most fantastic smoke in the game which can either be used for self, or for team's advancing cruisers. Best for playing in a division.

IJNs are very hard to play because apart from the best concealment, they don't have any defensive mechanism. IJN DDs rely on enemy stupidity and perfect positioning from player's part. The torpedo armament brings out the worst of the players. I bet half of IJN DD playerbase don't even know about their torpedo range.

KMs are kinda between USN and IJN with hydro and pathetic smoke, only useful for breaking line of sight for short amount of time. You have to know how to properly utilize ammo type in a dd and spam torpedo at the same time.

PA DDs (you can test them in Public Test) are sort of mix of DDs from other nations. Definitely not for beginners.

10 posts
12,344 battles
58 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

I disagree. KM DDs are hybrids. They lie between gunboat and torp spammers. You basically need to learn to both style. Also, they have hydro, which is a double edge sword for new players. Consumables will often encourage you to over extend. And if you don't know how to use them properly, you are not utilizing the full potential. Besides, you also need to know how to properly switch ammo type. Tell me how any of these sound noob friendly or proper for a first line.

Couldn't agree more about this.

58 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

IJNs are very hard to play because apart from the best concealment, they don't have any defensive mechanism. IJN DDs rely on enemy stupidity and perfect positioning from player's part. The torpedo armament brings out the worst of the players. I bet half of IJN DD playerbase don't even know about their torpedo range.

I have seen minekazes fire torps at a retreating BB at 7k range, just makes me wonder why...

I enjoy 8k yuugumo torps with reload booster because 16 fast speed, hi damage IJN torps makes the game fun and engaging.

[COAT]
1,183 posts
10,174 battles
於 2017/11/15 在 AM11點40分,don_WarDaddy_AVI 說:

Thanks guys for the good advice and help. i'll move up in USN line. :Smile_honoring:

After T5 USN's shell is "rainbow arc":slow and high,which need time to accommodate.

[LYNMF]
2 posts
3,124 battles

IMO, KM (German) DD's are not newbie friendly because of their bad concealment over IJN and USN DD's. Beginner should stick with the common IJN or USN line up first before considering to grind other nations. Being detected is DD's bad news all the time

Beta Tester
823 posts
4,972 battles

I would suggest USN DD line. It is fun to play, generally noob friendly and it does lead towards some really good ships. Fletcher being perhaps the best DD.

Even if you're not that great you'll still be of help to your team thanks to your awesome smokes.

273 posts
1,220 battles
On 11/15/2017 at 1:24 AM, icy_phoenix said:

Yep, USN one is the easiest and best, up to tier 9.

On 11/15/2017 at 4:45 PM, AntifoulAwl said:

and what happens at tier 10?

Nothing will ever happen at t10 ==> Fletcher.jpg.046af2c40fe9f0914fe074288b4c1607.jpg

You can watch youtube videos for further information

Spoiler

Spoiler

Watch iChasegaming, he used to be a Community Contributor and much of his videos on ship guides and tutorials is much helpful for beginners.

980 posts
12,617 battles

There's another thread about this somewhere, I remember...

For 'real' DD play that is noob friendly, go up the American line. 

For 'scumbag' DD play, the Russian line. 

Enjoy! 

[DIY]
65 posts
5,402 battles

If you are new and just want to taste what DD feels like. try tier 2-4 IJN DDs first to get the idea since not many ships can make you disappear that quick in tier 2-4 battle.

Then I would recommend US DD so you can learn some advance tactics.

You can grind other lines later.

For me the first line I grind was IJN DD I stopped at Mutsuki (T6 back then) because I could not hit anyone.

If you come like 2 years earlier you could taste what 10 km torps in tier 3-5 battles look like.

Note: If you are pretty new to this game and you just come across what's call forum. DO NOT PLAY PAN-ASIAN DESTROYERS FIRST.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

based on recommendations for beginner

USN DD > Soviet DD > KM DD > French DD > IJN DD > > > > > > Pan Asia DD

"Stop firing your 'Deep Water Torpedoes' to enemy DD"

[DIY]
65 posts
5,402 battles
1 hour ago, icy_phoenix said:

In short

Noob friendly DD line: US

Noob friendly BB line: UK

Noob friendly CA line: VMF

Noob friendly CV line: Saipan :D

CV is for players who want to get report. Even bad Saipan can be killed by Ranger.

13 posts
3,360 battles

Most the DD's are ok. You just got to know how to handle each ships characteristics. I personally love the V25 when many hate it. The US Wicks and Sampson and the Japaneses DD's are very good too. But when I was owning with the German DD's one week the next Id be sunk fast. Its all about just knowing their quirks.. but more so THE MAPS!!   ;) 

5 posts
857 battles

Ive gone more into French than anything else but I've found the English have good cruisers and the americans get radar

[KGHSF]
3,216 posts
6,055 battles

Noob friendly BB line: IJN

Curse you IJN weebs you are no more of honor camping until you die