You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
User_1145141919810

Mogami:155 or 203?

Mogami:155 or 203?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which main gun scheme do you prefer?

• 155 mm
    • 203 mm

15 comments in this topic

[LNA]
1,666 posts
10,492 battles

I prefer 203mm to 155mm due to it allowing you to hit and run.

155mm mogami need to be in the bb effective range to work which is very close. The slow turret traverse coupled with the need for rapid turning and running ruin your chance of a clean escape if you need it.

At tier 8 , ship start to be extremely accurate, showing broadside is a death sentence to a mogami due to its squishiness.

I like the 203 better since i dont have to right click that much to be effective and dont have to be too close to nail a zig zagging cruiser or dd. 155 will struggle to fight these opponents at long rangem

425 posts

I like the 3 gun spread of the 155mm due to dispersion. On the long range shots that I make on DDs, I tend to get 1 shot per turret on the target or close to it.  With 2 gun turrets, I'm get more bad RNG with those.  That's why I prefer the New Mex to the other T6 BBs is cause of the 3 gun turrets. 

1,386 posts
8,248 battles

155mm/60 3rd 2.22/5.64/10.80/11.64secs

203mm/50 3rd M2 2.34/5.62/10.18/10.90secs

(Shell flight time 5/10/15/extreme range, AP&HE have same ballistic performance)

That is to say, Mogami’s 203mm has superior ballistics above 10km but the difference is not unbearable.

Side note: Rushian 152mm “RUSSIANBIAS” 2.13/5.30/9.96/10.81 (data of stock Chapayev-15.75km extreme range, close to Mogami’s 15.67km) “superior ballistics since 1917, with a barrel of vodka”

The trade off is DPM for better AP&firing angle&no need for IFHE

Edited by HMS_Swiftsure_08

1,354 posts
8,888 battles
2 hours ago, humusz said:

If Mogami dont have 155mm option, I wont keep her in my port lol

if I want 203mm IJN cruiser at T8. I would pick Paytago or Free Takao instead

This for me too.

Why use the 203mm Mogami when a Takao/Atago does the same thing but with a heal?

Besides, every IJN cruiser uses the 203s from tier 5 onwards. It is nice to use a different gun system for a change.

372 posts
10,107 battles
4 hours ago, legionary2099 said:

I prefer 203mm to 155mm due to it allowing you to hit and run.

155mm mogami need to be in the bb effective range to work which is very close. The slow turret traverse coupled with the need for rapid turning and running ruin your chance of a clean escape if you need it.

At tier 8 , ship start to be extremely accurate, showing broadside is a death sentence to a mogami due to its squishiness.

I like the 203 better since i dont have to right click that much to be effective and dont have to be too close to nail a zig zagging cruiser or dd. 155 will struggle to fight these opponents at long rangem

You do realise the 155s have higher alpha and the same range? It's not that difficult to hit things at mogami's short max range with the 155s, they aren't Cleveland slow.

[LNA]
1,666 posts
10,492 battles
8 hours ago, WongSongMing said:

You do realise the 155s have higher alpha and the same range? It's not that difficult to hit things at mogami's short max range with the 155s, they aren't Cleveland slow.

Till i realized that it AP sucks and you have to pew pew far more for the same results leading to necessary long exposure to enemy fire , which isnt very kind to its low HP pool.

Mogami is extremely prone to eating citadels from BB.

Its HE will also shatter more if you dont have IFHE , and IFHE isnt really necessary from tier 5-10 with the exception of this ship

Super Tester
7,578 posts
8,005 battles
4 hours ago, legionary2099 said:

Till i realized that it AP sucks and you have to pew pew far more for the same results leading to necessary long exposure to enemy fire , which isnt very kind to its low HP pool.

Mogami is extremely prone to eating citadels from BB.

Its HE will also shatter more if you dont have IFHE , and IFHE isnt really necessary from tier 5-10 with the exception of this ship

Eating citadel in a cruiser is nothing exclusive to Mogami. In fact, there are other T8 CLs that eat more than Mogami. You will get shatters more if you aren't careful about armor scheme of target ship. AP is like Cleveland, they work, but at a closer range.

Your main damage comes from fires. Just DE is enough. She has the concealment to sneak up on softer targets. If you think Mogami is for useless spamming on TX BB who has thick deck armor, you are in the wrong.

425 posts
23 hours ago, legionary2099 said:

Yeah, of course it's 155 AP sucks in comparison with 203 AP.  It's a smaller caliber.  It just makes sense on a per shell basis.

But overall, due to the number of guns and good aiming makes its 155 AP stronger than the 203 AP

Mogami Caliber Gun # Alpha AP Salvo Alpha ROF Max Alpha
  155 15 3300 49500 6 297000
  203 10 4700 47000 4

414 posts
9,265 battles

Let's just forget that Mogami 155 mm has AP, you only shoot that to broadsiding cruiser below 6 km and has to be completely broadside. Although, broadsiding BBs at 7 - 12 km can give you some hefty damage. Still, grab 155 mm, grab IFHE, shoot everything that you want. You don't need the fire damage, you need the HE pen to do good damage.

Tbf, i found Mogami is much more fun, dynamic, and interesting than Atago/Takao.