Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
darkflame88

Why is desync still such a problem

6 comments in this topic

157 posts
4,084 battles

Why does WG keep insisting that there is no such thing as client/server desync?

I come back after about a month hiatus and find that the desync is so bad it makes it nearly unplayable. I'm aware that the Big World engine can have these problems but when a ship appears 300m behind where it actually is, or when a ship is detected it suddenly jumps ahead by several lengths, there is obviously something wrong. Then there is the desync with my own ship, the rudder returns to a neutral position, yet somehow my ship continues to turn, but as though it is hitting a solid wall every few degrees, this and the whole plane shifts from horizontal to a 30 degree slant.

I have run a treaceroute, pinged the server and used ping plotter and the results are always the same, no packet loss, no ping issues yet this still happens.

So I ask again. why is there still so much client/server desync in this game and why isn't WG acknowledging it?

[AUSNZ]
59 posts
11,665 battles

Just a FYI i had massive issues and after months of agonising analysis it turned out to be my CPU getting too hot.  you running an OC? have the heat up in the room?  check that out, totally sorted it for me, even when the net is crap.  New PC now with better cooling and zero issues.

157 posts
4,084 battles
5 minutes ago, MrPlow said:

Just a FYI i had massive issues and after months of agonising analysis it turned out to be my CPU getting too hot.  you running an OC? have the heat up in the room?  check that out, totally sorted it for me, even when the net is crap.  New PC now with better cooling and zero issues.

Nope, i7-6700 running at a maximum of 57 degrees, no heating issues with either the GPU, CPU or SSD.

[AUSNZ]
59 posts
11,665 battles

ah bummer was hoping that may be it.   For the hell of it, point a big bench fan into your PC and see how it goes for a session.  may still be the ram or something? never totally pinned what it was on my PC, but was heat related for sure.  Otherwise hope you can sort it out, i know the pain all too well. 

Beta Tester
908 posts

My bet potentially would be the return path from server to you. 

I had similar issues a year back. Ping all looked fine and no packet loss. Yet the ships arent where they are. 

My isp routed traffic through on PIPE networks Guam, the return path was through Telstra SEA cable. Hence the disparity in desync. 

It wasnt until my ISP fixed it where thr forward path was same as return path then I got no desync. 

157 posts
4,084 battles
9 hours ago, SlamUez said:

My bet potentially would be the return path from server to you. 

I had similar issues a year back. Ping all looked fine and no packet loss. Yet the ships arent where they are. 

My isp routed traffic through on PIPE networks Guam, the return path was through Telstra SEA cable. Hence the disparity in desync. 

It wasnt until my ISP fixed it where thr forward path was same as return path then I got no desync. 

I thought about this and performed a more thorough trace route, strangely there was an unknown plot along the rout that had no identification and only showed up as unknowntelstra, I asked my ISP about it and since then I haven't had any major problems.

No clue what it was or what they did.

Sign in to follow this