You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Dark_Tenshi

My first impression of USS Kidd

16 comments in this topic

[NYANG]
454 posts
5,926 battles

My first impression of Kidd :

Pros:

1.AA Monster

shot-17_11.10_20_27.30-0308.thumb.jpg.620208ae1c95141366222480f990f232.jpg

My Module Setting

shot-17_11.10_20_27.36-0835.thumb.jpg.ed070a7f07c75e8c731c106e6ecd9495.jpg

My Captain Skill

If you played DD a lot, you will notice this is a normal Setting and Skill for DDs.

and this is the result of first game.

shot-17_11.10_18_41.37-0752.thumb.jpg.b8090b6f714cef7f73e2ccae6a524054.jpg

shot-17_11.10_18_41.39-0092.thumb.jpg.dd7db366ad069fc6428054b345fb8896.jpg

013 ranger vs 220 saipan game, and I grinded 14 saipan's tier 9 planes.....

Which means Kidd excel at providing AA cover for her team.

2. Good at fighting with DDs.

Kidd is 8 tier premium ship, however, her orginal is tier 9 DD Fletcher + she has heal to recover.

(There is no need to explain futher about it)

Cons:

1. Only one torpedo tube + Slow torps + Long reload

This is a kind of trade with Pros 1: AA

Cause she ripped one torpedo tube to make space for AA guns.

If you fight with BBs, you will have a hard time dealing with them.

(Compare to other DDs who can just torp instead)

Lastly, this is my first game with Kidd (result is on the top page by screenshot )

Edited by Cutie_Destroyer

39 posts

how did 0/1/2 Ranget shotdown 2 planes???

oh crap, i wont play CV until WG buff all divebomber HP by 25%....

first they introduce kidd, after that USN CL with warchesta with 120 AA rating.... memetaur base AA+AADF...... oh mai gad.... and 10km AA range...

WG should starting to sell a premium DD that main purpose is to killing BB, 

Repair party+AADF+GG main Gun = nerfed Khabarovsk at T8

318 posts
6,868 battles

Thanks for providing some feedback on the USS Kidd.

She seems a little awkward to play due to being a AA spec'd or focus built DD, plus while capping having your AA on will draw all the attention to you, so that really voids the idea of having it. Loosing that extra torp rack really hurts it, and the reload time even more so.

I have encountered a couple of games against her whilst in a Cruiser and its just a matter of knowing when the Kidd's torps are in the water, you have a good minute or so to hunt her down. Also games where iv'e had a Kidd on the team, they dont think to turn off their AA and pretty much get smashed.

The trade off to gain AA is way too big imo, especially when the population of CV's isn't massive, so to spec the Kidd as a full AA build - to me, feels wasteful of points.

You had a good game and thank you for posting it :)

Video Contributor
2,265 posts
10,789 battles

cheers!

she has Benson's torpedo and longest reload time in T8 (balans)

almost everything is better than Benson except torpedo tubes she has only 1 tube

i would buy but my money doesn't understand QAQ

Edited by Onlinegamer

2,222 posts
13,720 battles

AA monster is right. I lose upgraded Lex fighter squadrons by the time I know shes there. Sure you get a chance to turn and run, but you die on the way out.

Met a fishing div with 2 kidds and strike lex. Kidds just sat in smoke while their lex hit our botes. If I went to stop the drop I lost my planes.

Edited by keskparane

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,771 battles

She's a superb ship, but easy to do poorly in.  If you love the Sims, you'll probably very much enjoy the Kidd.

Kidd is very much a high skill floor but high skill ceiling ship.  Highly skilled players will do absurdly well in her, but poor to average skilled players will not contribute much.

The AA is much better than I thought it would be.  The reason is the tier as much as anything - most really good AA DD's are T9 & 10, but their aren't many CV's in those tiers.  T7 & T8 see a lot of CV play however (and likely to be more soon with the US CV changes incoming) and you'll get CV games quite often.  I was making CV captain's lives pretty miserable tonight - one Shokaku flew both his torp bombers past me on the flank where he had no idea I was, he lost both squads in about 10s.  A 3/0/1 Saipan player flew near me while I was unspotted, I opened up at the 3.3km aircraft detection range and killed all 9 DB's before he could get them out of range.  The next wave he came straight in to attack while I was visible, lost 4 on the way in and the other 5 on the way out without a hit on me.  It's the detection range that makes it tough on CV's -you don't know the Kidd is there till your planes start dropping.

It reminds me a lot of facing radar as a DD - you have to know where the radar ships are at all times, and if you don't you have to assume they are behind the nearest cover.  If you don't, bad things happen to you...

[NYANG]
454 posts
5,926 battles
9 hours ago, Onlinegamer said:

cheers!

she has Benson's torpedo and longest reload time in T8 (balans)

almost everything is better than Benson except torpedo tubes she has only 1 tube

i would buy but my money doesn't understand QAQ

So sad that you can't buy the ship (sob)

9 hours ago, LawrenceXVIII said:

You KIDDing me right?

:Smile_teethhappy:

9 hours ago, keskparane said:

AA monster is right. I lose upgraded Lex fighter squadrons by the time I know shes there. Sure you get a chance to turn and run, but you die on the way out.

Met a fishing div with 2 kidds and strike lex. Kidds just sat in smoke while their lex hit our botes. If I went to stop the drop I lost my planes.

I surprised that she is AA monster.

Feel pity for CV players.....

6 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

She's a superb ship, but easy to do poorly in.  If you love the Sims, you'll probably very much enjoy the Kidd.

Kidd is very much a high skill floor but high skill ceiling ship.  Highly skilled players will do absurdly well in her, but poor to average skilled players will not contribute much.

The AA is much better than I thought it would be.  The reason is the tier as much as anything - most really good AA DD's are T9 & 10, but their aren't many CV's in those tiers.  T7 & T8 see a lot of CV play however (and likely to be more soon with the US CV changes incoming) and you'll get CV games quite often.  I was making CV captain's lives pretty miserable tonight - one Shokaku flew both his torp bombers past me on the flank where he had no idea I was, he lost both squads in about 10s.  A 3/0/1 Saipan player flew near me while I was unspotted, I opened up at the 3.3km aircraft detection range and killed all 9 DB's before he could get them out of range.  The next wave he came straight in to attack while I was visible, lost 4 on the way in and the other 5 on the way out without a hit on me.  It's the detection range that makes it tough on CV's -you don't know the Kidd is there till your planes start dropping.

It reminds me a lot of facing radar as a DD - you have to know where the radar ships are at all times, and if you don't you have to assume they are behind the nearest cover.  If you don't, bad things happen to you...

I seriously think thay WG should buff CVs.

1,386 posts
8,233 battles
13 hours ago, Skarhabek_Wizard said:

how did 0/1/2 Ranget shotdown 2 planes???

oh crap, i wont play CV until WG buff all divebomber HP by 25%....

first they introduce kidd, after that USN CL with warchesta with 120 AA rating.... memetaur base AA+AADF...... oh mai gad.... and 10km AA range...

WG should starting to sell a premium DD that main purpose is to killing BB, 

Repair party+AADF+GG main Gun = nerfed Khabarovsk at T8

Tail guns, ship AA, 013 can shoot down planes

Kidd has slightly more base DPS than Fletcher hull B, 8 more at mid and 11 more at inner. But as a T8, Kidd does not have the AA efficiency module (or anything else at slot 3), when Fletcher equips slot 3 AA mod, she has 13.2 more at outer, 4 more at mid, but still 4.8 less at inner than Kidd. Clearly that is better than Kidd at AA.

2,222 posts
13,720 battles
1 hour ago, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

Kidd has slightly more base DPS than Fletcher hull B, 8 more at mid and 11 more at inner. But as a T8, Kidd does not have the AA efficiency module (or anything else at slot 3), when Fletcher equips slot 3 AA mod, she has 13.2 more at outer, 4 more at mid, but still 4.8 less at inner than Kidd. Clearly that is better than Kidd at AA.

You would think. But I've never had a fear of Fletcher AA like I do of the Kidd.

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,771 battles
8 hours ago, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

No one is running AAM3 on their Fletcher.  Clearly the torpedo reload module is the only logical choice here.

So Kidd is a tier lower (so faces more CV's, and lower tier CV's), but has more AA than Fletcher.  Plus they just buffed defensive fire.  Kidd's are very capable AA boats when specced right.

520 posts
11,127 battles

Hmmm... my Fletcher is on AA build (I just feel comfortable with protection from planes).  Looks like Kidd is down my alley:)  Im really really inclined on getting it.... but still holding on to my cash as I dont play tier 8 that often.  Mostly 4, 7 and 9

1,386 posts
8,233 battles
16 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

No one is running AAM3 on their Fletcher.  Clearly the torpedo reload module is the only logical choice here.

So Kidd is a tier lower (so faces more CV's, and lower tier CV's), but has more AA than Fletcher.  Plus they just buffed defensive fire.  Kidd's are very capable AA boats when specced right.

Really? Torp reload only option? It’s just like saying Minotaur should only get AAm3 for slot 3.

While the community usually agrees on a common build, other builds do exist and they do have their own reasons to exist and many of them do make much sense.

For example, my Minotaur has RoF mod for slot 3. As I never get to know a good CV player that can div with me on a regular basis and I am more confident on my gunnery skills than using torpedoes, I go for RoF. I don’t want to sacrifice firepower (that is useful every game) for better capabilities of downing planes (CV at top tiers are rare). I also heard of a build that picks radar and torp reload skill&mod, after wiping out enemy DD he can then use manual torp launch effectively.

For Fletcher, while many would praise her versatility as a anti surface DD, some would build her solely as an AA platform for CV division. She falls behind AA CR in terms of DPS, but concealment, smoke and element of surprise makes up for it. RoF mod Fletcher also exist as a pure dogfight DD.

I do not deny that Kidd is a capable AA DD, but it should not be feared more than a warningly non-SE Fletcher that divs with a unicum CV. While she is a tier lower and can meet T6 CVs, T6 already have miserable life and another blow makes no difference.

Edited by HMS_Swiftsure_08