You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
chicony56

Just curious

20 comments in this topic

67 posts
5,233 battles

Does dropping the anchor of a full speed Missouri.. just plow up the sea floor..snap the chain..tear off the bow..spin the boat around..anchor doesn't reach the bottom cause of water drag or some other outcome?

1,091 posts
7,756 battles

The manuver actualy exist in RL.

but............... only for small boats

On large ship, assuming the chain not snap. it can act as emergency stop, dont imagine it like hitting full break on car though

One of Ship Captain I know .said the Anchor and chain need to get a grip on ocean floor to prevent ship from drifting. 

the amount of chain to put out about 5 times the dept of the water.

1 anchor of 100.000 tons nimitz carrier were just like 30 tons and the total chain wight were only 140 tons

that hollywood manuver wont work on big ships

Edited by humusz

Alpha Tester
1,600 posts
7,180 battles

Ralphy gets the Bingo.

Spoiler

Feature._Bingo_Game,_4555_N.D.G._Avenue_

~ On Topic; The ship will not stop. The inertia involved in a moving ship is immense, way, way too much for a mere anchor to stop it.

Instead, something busts catastrophically.

Dropping anchor on a moving ship is a no-no.

[MEGA]
4,546 posts
17,261 battles
32 minutes ago, AntifoulAwl said:

Ralphy gets the Bingo.

Reveal hidden contents

Feature._Bingo_Game,_4555_N.D.G._Avenue_

~ On Topic; The ship will not stop. The inertia involved in a moving ship is immense, way, way too much for a mere anchor to stop it.

Instead, something busts catastrophically.

Dropping anchor on a moving ship is a no-no.

frankly assuming that the chain doesn't snap, the ship would have, the amount of force that hit the Missouri (i actually don't remember which one it is)in the movie is probably equivalent or more than having a midway slam into it

Edited by drakon233

[LNA]
1,616 posts
10,238 battles
4 hours ago, chicony56 said:

Does dropping the anchor of a full speed Missouri.. just plow up the sea floor..snap the chain..tear off the bow..spin the boat around..anchor doesn't reach the bottom cause of water drag or some other outcome?

it would stress the joint in the hull , maybe causing structural cracks , as most warships was melded together. The chain will get blow away by the sheer momentum of force from something that heavy.

My guess is that if the Mo doesnt issue a complete engine halt ( rudder halt ) , the Mo will only issue a temporary slow down , then carry on. The crew will probably be flying around like baseballs though.

Momentum is something you dont want to play around with. It can kill , it can cause a lot of soft damage , and most importantly , if the crew doesnt brace for the impact , they will be rendered unconcious if they are lucky enough to survive something smashing into them.

The strongest part in a chain is its weakest link , go figure.

Momentum can tear a ship apart , but that largely depend on how the Mo is put together ( its structural and joint types) , i cant comment on wether it will be split onto half or not since i dont know how it is built in detail but i can guarantee you that that stupid move will get more than half of the crew killed , heavily injured

Super Tester
1,251 posts
5 hours ago, chicony56 said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4622374

Super Tester
813 posts
3,912 battles
19 hours ago, chicony56 said:

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

having been at sea when the anchor brake let go and the blake-slip wasn't set correctly, I can categorically say you don't stop in a hurry or spin or any of that stuff.  What happens is you get a great big hole in the side of the ship where the anchor slams into you multiple times on it's way down, along with the chain smashing everything in sight until it snaps.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Steam DDGs and DEs used to fire up during the night before to get pressure up for a 10am sailing.

Annoyed the daylights out of the residents around as their washing and cars were covered in black oily soot.

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,768 posts
3,998 battles

I do remember a bloke I worked with who used to work on the old HMAS Parramatta (46 I think) which was steam turbines.    He Always joked about the recruiting ads that told people they were joining the modern missile age navy.   He often asked if he could rejoin direct from the old steam one.

449 posts
8,062 battles

I'd imagine the chain would snap and there would be some damage but nothing catastrophic.

The movie got other aspects a bit wrong as well, the alien projectiles barely penetrated the weather deck and somehow took out the rear turret. I suspect that on a BB like Mighty Mo her rear turret would have likely still been in operating condition. Modern warships on the other hand are so thin skinned it's totally reasonable that those projectiles would be effective and sink them, although you'd think the CIWS might take a few out. Also it takes more than a few hours to a day and a lot more personnel to reactivate a beast like Missouri.

Super Tester
1,251 posts
4 hours ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

I do remember a bloke I worked with who used to work on the old HMAS Parramatta (46 I think) which was steam turbines.    He Always joked about the recruiting ads that told people they were joining the modern missile age navy.   He often asked if he could rejoin direct from the old steam one.

My first posting as an RP (Radar Plotter) was to the HMAS Derwent DE. If the modern missile age meant the Seacat system, they were much mistaken....

Saw a seacat launch once and it fired out of the Launcher, went about 50 meters and then dived straight into the drink. We all said it was trying to be an ASROC...

Edited by LtDan_IceCream