Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
KirstieBeau

Donskoi vs Chapayev

6 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Member
173 posts
5,332 battles

I'm enjoying russian cruisers recently especially the Shchors so I decided to keep it. This week I just got Chapayev fully upgraded with concealment build and its such a troll to DD with its 10.2km  detection and 11.7km radar. I really enjoyed the slight difference in playstyle to the shchors as you're not tied anymore to long-distance HE spam as you can close-in to a cap and support my DD. Problem is I only have 2 relevant Soviet captains: a 14pt for the Chapayev and a 12pt for my Shchors. In a few days I will be unlocking the Donskoi. Any Donskoi captains here can say if it's a fun ship to have as the chappy and is it worth it for my Chappy captain to move to the Donskoi? Or will I stop at Chappy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,110 posts
7,850 battles

IMO I hate donskoi

maybe because I grind that before IFHE become a thing

 

but unlike chapayev, that can sneak into good radar position easier or moskva that can bruteforcing her way. donskoi is conspicuous, large, thinskinned ship and you will battered by shells if you try.

chapy can easly have bigger influence to the match

 

one of the turret also require you to open broadside quite a lot to fully unmask the firepower. which most of the time require you to play with 3/4 of firepower

and you got to play mostly against T10 in IMO, horrible ships

pre-nerf baltimore often called worst T9 cruiser. but I prefer her than donskoi

 

with IFHE, the experience I supposed would be diffrent

you feel back to being schors, but maybe weaker (since schors IFHE pen almost every BB on her tier, easly racked very high damage. T10 battleship is more HE resistant)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,006 posts
11,943 battles
21 hours ago, humusz said:

IMO I hate donskoi

maybe because I grind that before IFHE become a thing

 

but unlike chapayev, that can sneak into good radar position easier or moskva that can bruteforcing her way. donskoi is conspicuous, large, thinskinned ship and you will battered by shells if you try.

chapy can easly have bigger influence to the match

 

one of the turret also require you to open broadside quite a lot to fully unmask the firepower. which most of the time require you to play with 3/4 of firepower

and you got to play mostly against T10 in IMO, horrible ships

pre-nerf baltimore often called worst T9 cruiser. but I prefer her than donskoi

 

with IFHE, the experience I supposed would be diffrent

you feel back to being schors, but maybe weaker (since schors IFHE pen almost every BB on her tier, easly racked very high damage. T10 battleship is more HE resistant)

i play thru donskoi not long ago with IFHE and even with IFHE i still low damage like average 50K or so, shoot at bb all the time feels like shooting a brick wall doing small dents

also its large and unforgiving in T10, go up front help dd with radar its a serious threat on my own survival and play too far not contributing anything

its a ship that feels awkward to play, glad i go past mine and never play it again but i still go back to chapayev which is so much more fun

i have to say i'm disappointed with T9 cruisers, i only play thru ibuki and donskoi and both is not fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
455 posts
8,038 battles

The Donskoi isn't all that fun but is actually decent. It has no armor at all and BB's can cit you from practically any angle while being very long and having bad rudder. Your best bet would either be to find a good island to camp behind and radar dds in the early game and then later on either use cover to harass BBs or just use your 19km range to kite enemies with your railguns. I grinded through just recently it without ifhe but it is a great firestarter so you just need to pray to Rngesus for fires as they are your main damage source against BBs. But its not really a ship you'd want to keep in port once you've grinded it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,110 posts
7,850 battles
22 hours ago, ahwai82 said:

i play thru donskoi not long ago with IFHE and even with IFHE i still low damage like average 50K or so, shoot at bb all the time feels like shooting a brick wall doing small dents

 

Well, with IFHE her gun dont have any distinct advantage in penetration over 152mm IFHE on chapy or kutu

with 12s reload compared to 8s, thats like almost 50% lost of rate of fire over kutu and chappy (which also have better turret angle, donskoi usualy strugle to use all of her 4 turret)

Im not touch her again after IFHE, but I speculate that easly the cause

Edited by humusz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,006 posts
11,943 battles
6 minutes ago, humusz said:

 

Well, with IFHE her gun dont have any distinct advantage in penetration over 152mm IFHE on chapy or kutu

with 12s reload, thats like almost 50% lost of rate of fire over kutu and chappy

Im not touch her again after IFHE, but I speculate that easly the cause

i use commander move up from chappy, only have IFHE so starting fire its even harder put out 2 or 3 salvo no fires only to see freaking zao start fires and i missed my chance

only fun i have is ambush RN cruisers with radar but most of the time just busy looking at who gonna shoot at me you know how huge it is and how slow the rudder is

no more donskoi ever, i rather play lower tier than play donskoi even once

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×