You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Eggy_Bro

Player Experiences

14 comments in this topic

38 posts
8,885 battles

Like most, I started with First Person Shooters. Because of my interest in ships (Both real ships and anime botes), a friend recommended Steel Ocean to me. 

I downloaded it, sunk some money in and tried it out. The tutorials were simple and easy to follow. With each advancement (torps for dds, planes for cvs, etc.), a new tutorial would be made available. How to shoot, basics of gunnery and ammo types, how to move, how to play the objective, so on. Everything was easy enough to understand so with confidence, I jumped into the game. 

I played up to tier 5 for all ships of the IJN Tech tree in that game. Then I just sort of stopped. The game had gotten a little stale for me. Games were few and far between (Because of the small player base), gun inaccuracy bordered on frustration and some game controls and mechanics were just finicky. Added to that, the fact that I had to switch to Windows to play it (Yes I use a mac), it was just too much bother. Eventually, I went back to shooting at terrorists in Counter-Strike. 

Then I heard that World of Warships was now available for mac. I downloaded it and tried it out, starting with Hashidate because "IJN IS BESTU NAVY IN ZAWORUDOO!!*" Playing against bots meant that I had time to adjust to the new game properly. (Short waiting time was also a plus because I'm an impatient bastard) Gun accuracy was inaccurate but not frustrating, ship handling was slow but responsive, and controls were pretty well explained in the tutorial. With the knowledge I had carried over from Steel Ocean, I got up to Kuma at T4 and decided to jump into random battles. 

That was when I hit the first steep learning curve. Playing against other people was a jarring experience. Needless to say, I was destroyed in the first five minutes and sent right back to port by a T5 New York. So I went back to training against bots. I trained until I got Furutaka and then went back to Random Battles, only to get uptiered against T7s and getting my behind handed to me. 

Over time, I did get better. I am an average player with a 51.something% win rate and an unhealthy obsession to grind every tech tree. I did stop playing dds because my playstyle is just not suited for dds. Still working on that. But thinking back, I realized that WoWs has a problematic learning curve. That moment when you go from playing against bots to playing against actual players is a huge leap. and after the initial tutorials, wargaming doesn't give any other guides to help you in game. 

I gained the most help from information tidbits from the Armada videos, as well as watching Yuro's videos and studying how other players played. 

I hear that WoWs is coming to steam. With that, there will inevitably be a huge influx of new players who will be jumping in with almost no idea of what to do. The current one tutorial for new players does teach them basic mechanics, but after that, there isn't much else. Steel Ocean had a better tutorial system in this respect. It gave individual tutorials for using torpedoes, managing aircraft and leading targets. 

I get that certain mechanics are more difficult to teach with just a tutorial. Managing consumables, shell arcs and armour layouts, for example, is different for each ship. How to play each ship and so on. And certain things can only be learned over time like game sense and map positioning. But something to ease new players into their first time would be a great help to those out there trying to get in. 

*This statement is obviously a joke. 

Edited by Eggy_Bro

[MEGA]
4,654 posts
17,883 battles
16 minutes ago, Eggy_Bro said:

Like most, I started with First Person Shooters. Because of my interest in ships (Both real ships and anime botes), a friend recommended Steel Ocean to me. 

I downloaded it, sunk some money in and tried it out. The tutorials were simple and easy to follow. With each advancement (torps for dds, planes for cvs, etc.), a new tutorial would be made available. How to shoot, basics of gunnery and ammo types, how to move, how to play the objective, so on. Everything was easy enough to understand so with confidence, I jumped into the game. 

I played up to tier 5 for all ships of the IJN Tech tree in that game. Then I just sort of stopped. The game had gotten a little stale for me. Games were few and far between (Because of the small player base), gun inaccuracy bordered on frustration and some game controls and mechanics were just finicky. Added to that, the fact that I had to switch to Windows to play it (Yes I use a mac), it was just too much bother. Eventually, I went back to shooting at terrorists in Counter-Strike. 

Then I heard that World of Warships was now available for mac. I downloaded it and tried it out, starting with Hashidate because "IJN IS BESTU NAVY IN ZAWORUDOO!!*" Playing against bots meant that I had time to adjust to the new game properly. (Short waiting time was also a plus because I'm an impatient bastard) Gun accuracy was inaccurate but not frustrating, ship handling was slow but responsive, and controls were pretty well explained in the tutorial. With the knowledge I had carried over from Steel Ocean, I got up to Kuma at T4 and decided to jump into random battles. 

That was when I hit the first steep learning curve. Playing against other people was a jarring experience. Needless to say, I was destroyed in the first five minutes and sent right back to port by a T5 New York. So I went back to training against bots. I trained until I got Furutaka and then went back to Random Battles, only to get uptiered against T7s and getting my behind handed to me. 

Over time, I did get better. I am an average player with a 51.something% win rate and an unhealthy obsession to grind every tech tree. I did stop playing dds because my playstyle is just not suited for dds. Still working on that. But thinking back, I realized that WoWs has a problematic learning curve. That moment when you go from playing against bots to playing against actual players is a huge leap. and after the initial tutorials, wargaming doesn't give any other guides to help you in game. 

I gained the most help from information tidbits from the Armada videos, as well as watching Yuro's videos and studying how other players played. 

I hear that WoWs is coming to steam. With that, there will inevitably be a huge influx of new players who will be jumping in with almost no idea of what to do. The current one tutorial for new players does teach them basic mechanics, but after that, there isn't much else. Steel Ocean had a better tutorial system in this respect. It gave individual tutorials for using torpedoes, managing aircraft and leading targets. 

I get that certain mechanics are more difficult to teach with just a tutorial. Managing consumables, shell arcs and armour layouts, for example, is different for each ship. How to play each ship and so on. And certain things can only be learned over time like game sense and map positioning. But something to ease new players into their first time would be a great help to those out there trying to get in. 

*This statement is obviously a joke. 

steam wows is on its own server, so no seal cubbbera there(unless you reroll)

Edited by drakon233

Super Tester
7,721 posts
8,029 battles

Steam may bring an influx to new players but I think that will only happen in very low tier. To continue in this game with the mindless grinds, you really have to be a ship lover. This game will shine neither as a shooter, nor as a simulator. Ideas to help players with game mechanics may be included in near future, but I can't really comment on that right now.

Anyway, kudos to you for keeping up with a positive attitude!

183 posts
3,790 battles
28 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

Nope, same servers. You will be prompted to choose when launching the game for the first time.

1,105 posts
1 hour ago, drakon233 said:

:Smile_ohmy:

1 hour ago, Eggy_Bro said:

I went back to shooting at terrorists in Counter-Strike. 

Shooting Teroriz? did you mean our Russian Comrade?

man, you playing the wrong game! in here there is moar teroriz....

Russian CV can insta delete anyone

Russian ship is OP

Khabarovsk got Repair Party

and here we go! why dont you join us in CV to Revenge the USN BB? you get deleted by BB right?

that is why,....join us! play CV!

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,313 posts
1 hour ago, Skarhabek said:

:Smile_ohmy:

Shooting Teroriz? did you mean our Russian Comrade?

man, you playing the wrong game! in here there is moar teroriz....

Russian CV can insta delete anyone

Russian ship is OP

Khabarovsk got Repair Party

and here we go! why dont you join us in CV to Revenge the USN BB? you get deleted by BB right?

that is why,....join us! play CV!

Me, every time you post.......

200.gif#34-grid1

Edited by LtDan_IceCream

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

if you ask, "can i start with IJN DD in this game?" most sane player with decent knowledge of the game will NOT suggest you to play that

also, Furutaka is best cruiser in that game and tier, but requires skill to play due much less dakka than the other ship, even against battleship at tier 5 and some cruiser at tier 7

[LBAS]
4,572 posts
25,972 battles
1 hour ago, Harpoon01 said:

if you ask, "can i start with IJN DD in this game?" most sane player with decent knowledge of the game will NOT suggest you to play that

also, Furutaka is best cruiser in that game and tier, but requires skill to play due much less dakka than the other ship, even against battleship at tier 5 and some cruiser at tier 7

next Buff for Kirov Furutaka Shall be the last on list :fish_palm: