You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
tc1259

Australian Premium Ship Idea

18 comments in this topic

588 posts
2,994 battles

Hi All, 

I bring you the HMAS Melbourne - the R21 - Which is a Majestic Class Light Carrier. Of World War 2 Era :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMAS_Melbourne_(R21)

She would probably sit at that Tier 6 level, Planes would be either kitty hawkes, or Beaufighters - I couldn't find any carrier versions of planes, worst case scenario would be a copy over american / uk fighter.

Anyways - Might be cool :) and I would definitely buy it purely because well aussie only ever had two carriers and I belive

both of them had accidents

1200px-HMAS_Melbourne_(R21)_underway_196

hmas-melbourne-r21-profile-and-plan-blue

[MEGA]
4,546 posts
17,268 battles

27 jets, so that'd be around 56ish WW2 era planes, yep

(but then you remember you have to train a spesific commonwealth  CV captain) for this

588 posts
2,994 battles
14 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

27 jets, so that'd be around 56ish WW2 era planes, yep

(but then you remember you have to train a spesific commonwealth  CV captain) for this

Nah you would remove the jets and go with her original planned compliment for the Majestic. So that would be prop planes. 

Remembering, it's not the first time WG have taken a ship that's seen later life and put her to original specifications

Alpha Tester
28 posts
3,046 battles
2 hours ago, tc1259 said:

Hi All, 

I bring you the HMAS Melbourne - the R21 - Which is a Majestic Class Light Carrier. Of World War 2 Era :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMAS_Melbourne_(R21)

She would probably sit at that Tier 6 level, Planes would be either kitty hawkes, or Beaufighters - I couldn't find any carrier versions of planes, worst case scenario would be a copy over american / uk fighter.

Anyways - Might be cool :) and I would definitely buy it purely because well aussie only ever had two carriers and I belive

both of them had accidents

TC

Jut a correction the RAN has had three carriers overall (you missed HMAS Vengeance - operated for 3 years whilst awaiting HMAS Melbourne) . With WW2 sized aircraft the three carriers would carry approx 52, as to the type that's where things get a little more interesting as there's not much in the way of choices for Aussie aircraft to fit out, they would have to be either UK/US, as Firefly 5's and Sea Fury would be to powerful at T6, Kittyhawk and Beaufighter never had a carrier version (and one was a US aircraft the other UK). I suppose if you really wanted Aussie Flavour to the aircraft maybe Boomerangs and Wirraways (and some serious artistic license).

H

184 posts
1,697 battles

Hi tc1259.

May I suggest some alternatives.

HMAS Sydney III. The Sydney was equipped with Hawker Sea Furies, Fairy Firefly's and Supermarine Seafire's ( Navalised Spitfires ) at the time of the Korean conflict. This was close to her WWII Build, equipment spec.

Other ships.

HMAS Australia I -- Indefatigable class Battlecruiser -- Chance for WG to include a WWI British battlecruiser.

HMAS's Australia II, Canberra and Shropshire. ---- 8 inch gun Heavy Cruisers. -- County class. Be in No doubt, these were powerful cruisers.

ANZAC Light Cruisers to join HMAS Perth. ---- Sydney I & II, Adelaide, ---- Improved town class. Hobart -- Improved Leander, HMNZS's Achilles, Leander,----etc...

As for our, --NZ included,-- destroyer line, it is far, far too long a list for here. A list of the battle honours of these Destroyers, would be longer than the Murray river.

But there is a special class and that is,  HMAS's Arunta, Warramunga and Bataan. These were our own Aussie built "Tribal" class DD's. Enlarged a little, greater AA and described by none other than Gen. Douglas MacArthur as Super Destroyers. (There again that was Doug speaking). :Smile_hiding:

With that lot, we could have our own ANZAC tech tree. lol

Sorry to take up so much of your thread tc, but I think there are some great ships amongst that lot that are really worthy of inclusion in the game.

Alex

B_T23

[MEGA]
4,546 posts
17,268 battles
4 minutes ago, H_87A_2CU said:

TC

Jut a correction the RAN has had three carriers overall (you missed HMAS Vengeance - operated for 3 years whilst awaiting HMAS Melbourne) . With WW2 sized aircraft the three carriers would carry approx 52, as to the type that's where things get a little more interesting as there's not much in the way of choices for Aussie aircraft to fit out, they would have to be either UK/US, as Firefly 5's and Sea Fury would be to powerful at T6, Kittyhawk and Beaufighter never had a carrier version (and one was a US aircraft the other UK). I suppose if you really wanted Aussie Flavour to the aircraft maybe Boomerangs and Wirraways (and some serious artistic license).

H

inb4 flying koalas that drops drunk kangeroo as bombs while having a voice over of "g'day mate"

10/10 most Austrian planes ever

Edited by drakon233

184 posts
1,697 battles

Aussie build aircraft of WWII:-

Tiger Moth, Harvard, Wirraway, Boomerang, Beaufighter (Whispering Death), Beaufort, Mosquito and Started Production of P51K, Which was used in the Korean conflict.

Edited by Bengal_Tiger23

Alpha Tester
28 posts
3,046 battles
23 minutes ago, Bengal_Tiger23 said:

Aussie build aircraft of WWII:-

Tiger Moth, Harvard, Wirraway, Boomerang, Beaufighter, Beaufort, Mosquito and Started Production of P51K, Which was used in the Korean conflict.

Yup - Tiger Moth, Beaufighter, Beaufort, Mosquito all UK Designs, Harvard and P-51 US Designs, Wirraway broadly a US design. Boomerang the only Aussie design (even that could be debated), maybe we could add CA-15 and Woomera, at least the Woomera would be really different.

Mind you I Iike Drakkon's idea, although obviously he got it wrong, every Aussie knows its flying Boomers, and drop bears............maybe they can drop hoop snakes as torps

H

Edited by H_87A_2CU

458 posts
7,351 battles
19 hours ago, Ordrazz said:

I vote for HMAS Australia (I) - Indefatigable class Battlecruiser !!!

:Smile_child:

Ordrazz

I strongly second that motion. :cap_like:

The ship that single handed kept at bay the German East Asian Squadron under Vice-Admiral Max von Spee.  Shame we only had her for a short 11 years. She was sunk as part of the Washington treaty disarmament agreements. She was classed as a ship of the British Empire despite the fact that we paid for her! So to satisfy tonnage restrictions for certain ship classes she was scuttled off Sydney heads in 1924.

In contrast to every single military purchase of late she was built at 250 000 pounds under her 2 million pound construction budget! Our defence department could learn something from that!

353 posts
4,998 battles
18 hours ago, HobartAWD said:

I strongly second that motion. :cap_like:

The ship that single handed kept at bay the German East Asian Squadron under Vice-Admiral Max von Spee.......

Agree with this one. Adds a class that is currently not in the tech tree, doesnt need too much game balans changes to fit.

458 posts
7,351 battles

My second choice goes to the County class heavy cruisers. Australia II, Canberra and Shropshire.

Again a ship class not in the game so that's a plus. Allows the County's to be added to the RN line either tech tree or premium, plus allows an Australian County premium to be added.

Funnily enough I lived as a kid for 2+ years in the Solomon Islands but on the northernmost island Bougainville and not near Guadalcanal and Iron bottom sound where HMAS Canberra and so many other ships went down. I will have to make an effort to try to get back there one day. So many places I would like to see now that I wasn't able to back then.

1,443 posts
56 minutes ago, HobartAWD said:

My second choice goes to the County class heavy cruisers. Australia II, Canberra and Shropshire.

Again a ship class not in the game so that's a plus. Allows the County's to be added to the RN line either tech tree or premium, plus allows an Australian County premium to be added.

Funnily enough I lived as a kid for 2+ years in the Solomon Islands but on the northernmost island Bougainville and not near Guadalcanal and Iron bottom sound where HMAS Canberra and so many other ships went down. I will have to make an effort to try to get back there one day. So many places I would like to see now that I wasn't able to back then.

Well, if they consider this class, I would hope they call it Canberra, in honour of the crew of the real ship, & also to keep the name Australia free for the Battlecruiser..

However, as said above, it would be a good 2nd choice.

& I would also be happy with OPs choice, with the original WW2 build.

Ordrazz

588 posts
2,994 battles

See my only issue with another cruiser / normal line of ship is that - it's normal. 

Clearly we've only ever had three CV's, so it's unique :)

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

CV's/Seaplane Tenders/Helicopter Landing Ships in order of commissioning/decommissioning:
HMAS Albatross 
HMAS\HMS Vengeance  (returned when HMAS Melbourne was commissioned)
HMAS Sydney
HMAS Melbourne
HMAS Canberra
HMAS Adelaide

(edit.  I didn't include HMAS Kanimbla and Manoora as they had limited hangar capability and were more of a landing ship with a flight deck welded on top).