Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Brownyb

Benson build post smoke nerf.

10 comments in this topic

[PAR-D]
12 posts
6,345 battles

Hi everyone. I'm about half way through my Benson grind with a 13 point captain and have a bit of a decision to make. I run a standard PM, LS, SE, CE 10 point build and I'm about halfway to my 14th point. I don't know whether to pick up SI, TAE, BFT or wait and get RL. Then double back and get one of the tier 3 skills and then AR, or SSE with the last two points. If usually play on my own but like to help out my team and pre smoke nerf I would of taken SI then ground on to RL before coming back for SSE. I realise that the smoke nerf is new and many people are still trying to figure out what it means to the meta but any thoughts or suggestion would be appreciated.

Edited by Brownyb

173 posts
5,332 battles

Personally I would suggest you get AR first as it gives you the benefit of what TAE and BFT gives. For your 15pt, its up to you to choose between TAE or SI. Go SI for teamplay. Go TAE for damage.

Super Tester
7,724 posts
8,031 battles

Smoke nerf barely has any effect on dds. My build in order:

PT LS SE CE RDF AR BFT

jF2gvoBh.jpg

If you don't want to use RDF, you can take DE or SI instead. Or, take AR first. The other skills are self explanatory and obvious.

Personally, for anti DD build, RDF is just too valuable to pass on. DE I useless in DD combat, TAE is pointless in Benson. SI is subjective and can be taken as alternative to BFT if you need more consumables. Just using premium consumables work for me. Only 22k credits, no big deal.

Edited by icy_phoenix

Beta Tester
628 posts
6,898 battles

Icy's setup is very good.  If you don't feel you can get the most out of RPF then I'd take torp reload and PM with those four points (which is how I set up my US DD captains).  I find I play US DD's more as an all around DD rather than an anti-DD ship so I set up a very generalist build.  On my Z-52 however I take RPF since it is so incredibly good at killing enemy DD's.

You could drop torp reload for increased fire chance if you find you spend a lot of time in smoke firing at BB's and CA's - however I feel this isn't the best use of a US DD.  I wouldn't take Superintendent now since you won't be smoking friendlies as much so won't be using it as often, plus another engine boost is pointless.  It's really a waste of 3pts for a T8 and below US DD now.

265 posts
4,718 battles
11 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

Icy's setup is very good.  If you don't feel you can get the most out of RPF then I'd take torp reload and PM with those four points (which is how I set up my US DD captains).  I find I play US DD's more as an all around DD rather than an anti-DD ship so I set up a very generalist build.  On my Z-52 however I take RPF since it is so incredibly good at killing enemy DD's.

You could drop torp reload for increased fire chance if you find you spend a lot of time in smoke firing at BB's and CA's - however I feel this isn't the best use of a US DD.  I wouldn't take Superintendent now since you won't be smoking friendlies as much so won't be using it as often, plus another engine boost is pointless.  It's really a waste of 3pts for a T8 and below US DD now.

I felt that I did the wrong build for all my USN DD. I invested SI because I don't want to spend $ on consumables, but now you talk about it, it makes sense to drop it. Ah... I just missed the chance...

Beta Tester
628 posts
6,898 battles
6 hours ago, GRADAN31 said:

I felt that I did the wrong build for all my USN DD. I invested SI because I don't want to spend $ on consumables, but now you talk about it, it makes sense to drop it. Ah... I just missed the chance...

If you don't have the premium consumables then SI is pretty good - you'll find you need the third smoke quite often, just not the fourth.  I'd suggest spending on the premium damage control and smoke (speed boost really isn't needed) if you can afford it though.

[PAR-D]
12 posts
6,345 battles

Thanks for the advice. I skipped PT. I just assume that if I'm spotted everyone will target me. I always take premium consumables and rarely use them all but I like the fact that the cool down is shorter. I think i'll wait and get the next point for RL then make my decision later for the rest. 

[PAR-D]
12 posts
6,345 battles
10 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

If you don't have the premium consumables then SI is pretty good - you'll find you need the third smoke quite often, just not the fourth.  I'd suggest spending on the premium damage control and smoke (speed boost really isn't needed) if you can afford it though.

I find that if I survive the whole battle that speed boost is likely the only consumable that I will have used all charges. I get bored going from one cap to the next.

Sign in to follow this