You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BunnyDragon

What do you guys think of these 3 CV suggestions?

CV Suggestions  

44 members have voted

1. 1. T3 and higher should have a mandatory how to dodge CV torpedo Tutorial

• Yes
    • No
    • Needs something else
  2. 2. First time CV player should be in mandatory Co-Op for 20 battles like new players in other ships

• Yes
    • No
    • Needs something else
    • Yes, but this amount is too much.
    • Yes, but this amount is too little.
  3. 3. T6 and Higher player receives a tutorial on Alt Attacks

• Yes
    • No
    • Needs something else
    • NO! Keep CV weak
    • NO! Keep the potatoes potatoes for my CV stats
    • NO! Let them figure it out!

44 comments in this topic

400 posts
3,941 battles

I have three suggestions for CV play that I want to know if you guys would be ok with.

1. All new CV players must play their CV in CO-OP just like new players with the other ships.  This is because CV play is very different from the other ship classes.  This will let them learn how to CV without being slaughtered by experienced players and able to learn how to CV at the same time.  For their play enjoyment and others play enjoyment.

2. When you reach T3 either by teach tree or by Buying a ship from the shop that is higher than T3, you must complete a short tutorial on how to dodge CV drops.  Help people cope with cv play as it's different from other ship classes.

3. When entering CV T6, players can get a tutorial for alt drops so people stop having potato cv players who have no clue about that and don't watch Flamu or someone similar.  

That's it.

Super Tester
7,374 posts
7,883 battles

1. It is not easy to define a "new player". At low tiers, new players now rarely face good ones after alt attack removal. Forcing them to co-op does no good at all.

2. Tutorials of any type is always welcome, however, needs to have a different approach.

3. Same thoughts as #2, but I guess a tutorial on this is much needed, so yes.

381 posts
9,887 battles

Nah, considering how WG still put premium CV on sales without requirements, I highly doubt they would make tutorial/learning curve mandatory. But if that ever happens I'd like to see the ability to purchase and play CV in random battles locked in a mission chain/campaign. The final task should reward the player with either Langley/Hosho and a 10 pts captain so they dont get stomped by not having Air Supremacy (that skill should be removed from the game along with CE tbh). Individual tasks should be made moderately hard so players would actually have to be very creative or spend some time searching the internet to learn tricks that make it easier to complete. 

For example:

Task 1: Deal 60k damage to a battleship with 2 torps + 2 HE bomb squads. Basically force the player to learn how to time enemy damecon and apply DoT.

Task 2: Kill 4 enemy fighter squads with only 2 fighter squad at player's command. Specifically remove the exit strafe penalty for this task. Would make people learn how to strafe if they want to complete.

Task 3: Kill 2 DD within 5 mins with 3 torp squad available. Designed so people can learn how to cross drop.

1,443 posts

I believe it to be a good start to an idea that could be developed, as there are too many stupid CV players out there, & they are matched up against better players, who absolutely dice them..

If they were forced to do some training, & practicing in co op mode for a period, then they would actually learn the basics, instead of jumping straight in without any idea of how to operate...

Ordrazz

400 posts
3,941 battles
7 hours ago, Ordrazz said:

I believe it to be a good start to an idea that could be developed, as there are too many stupid CV players out there, & they are matched up against better players, who absolutely dice them..

This was literally my first game ever in a CV.  My team lost horribly as I couldn't figure out how to attack even. 

7 hours ago, Ordrazz said:

If they were forced to do some training, & practicing in co op mode for a period, then they would actually learn the basics, instead of jumping straight in without any idea of how to operate...

It's what I did until I could do some basic ALT attacks before those got nerfed.  However, I've noticed a lot of CV player don't really know what to do.  Maybe update the hints and tips that in the map loading screen?  Those things haven't been updated since I joined WOWS

980 posts
12,617 battles

I think there needs to be some sort of official tutorial. Right now it's like 'yay! You're at tier 6! Here are some alt attacks. Be a food for the next 60 games while you figure it out. It's not like you'll quit playing CVs while you struggle.'

I learned from Farazelleth and Femennenly, but not everyone has the time to do that.

2,174 posts
13,462 battles

Here's my idea for a blanket solution to all our problems. If your random wr is below 50% you can't play random battles. Instead you get relegated to co-op and your co-op wins count towards your random wr until it goes above 50% again. At which point you can either go back to random or any further games in co-op count towards co-op wr.

Doing this will force mandatory training on people. It will mean that people who invest in money into the game for premium time etc won't have to be dragged down by someone who just wants to come on and pew pew a few rounds and die. There is no reason for these people to be playing random, co-op would be perfect for them.

Instead what wg is doing is allowing/forcing people of all levels into the same arena. Sure there's clan or ranked, but if they limited essentially wg is saying screw you to their biggest fans. They are promoting the quick potato dollar. Get the player in, fleece them, give them little reason to stay.

1,273 posts
8,572 battles

I think some sort of tutorial is needed. Heck, I am not sure if new CV players even know the existence of manual strafes/drops once they hit Tier 6. Even if they did, they now have to figure out how to use manual drops at a tier where DFAA is introduced and AA monsters like Clevelands start running around.

I kinda agree with Flamu when he said that the quality of new CV players has dropped since manual attacks were removed in Tiers 4-5.

2,174 posts
13,462 battles

Thing about ALT attacks is IMO they not obvious to new CV players.

When I started my progression went like this.

• Hey that's odd. My squadron has disappeared. I wounder what happened. (to hard to tell coz as a beginner everything was happening too fast)
  • Hey that squadron of fighters just insta-deleted my entire squadron. How can that happen?
  • Looked on forums, net. Couldn't find answer because didn't know the exact right thing to ask.
  • Asked on forums. Finally learn't about ALT attacks

So even once I knew something was happening and went looking for an answer I still had trouble finding it. How is someone who has no idea about the existence of ALT attacks supposed to learn about them?

400 posts
3,941 battles
2 minutes ago, Lebran_Erika said:

2) 20 a bit too high. Took me ~10 games to get a hang of things when starting out. 

I learned to CV on the Hosho before the removal of Alt attacks and facing 15 point AS Hoshos and Langleys.  I really needed 20 just to survive back then. 

I don't know how much of my Bogue success is do to removal of ALT and Seal Clubbers being nerfed, or my own better skill with CV now.

So, yeah, it might be lower, but there is so much you can do with auto drops that I never knew before this, that they need time to figure out. (Like how to move your auto drop around. I got reported for hacking when I first figured that one out about a month ago.)

400 posts
3,941 battles

WG staff, if you vote on polls, can your bosses check to see if any of you did?

Curious.

Also, keeping the post relevant as I want to try to get 100 votes for statistics.

400 posts
3,941 battles
On 10/23/2017 at 6:02 PM, icy_phoenix said:

1. It is not easy to define a "new player". At low tiers, new players now rarely face good ones after alt attack removal. Forcing them to co-op does no good at all.

Defined as 0 games played in CV.  Even if you have lots of xp in other ship classes, they don't relate to CV.  Once you get 20 (or what ever number is good with auto drops now) then let them out into randoms, just like the other ship lines.  The new players to the game can't leave co-op until after reaching level 3?4?2? I forget which. 

Have the same for CV, just based on number of co-op games played. 

Super Tester
7,374 posts
7,883 battles
2 hours ago, BunnyDragon said:

Defined as 0 games played in CV.  Even if you have lots of xp in other ship classes, they don't relate to CV.  Once you get 20 (or what ever number is good with auto drops now) then let them out into randoms, just like the other ship lines.  The new players to the game can't leave co-op until after reaching level 3?4?2? I forget which. 

Have the same for CV, just based on number of co-op games played. 

Reason why I oppose is my personal experience. As you can see, I am non-cv player (6 CV games in total). But if you look at the numbers, you will be surprised, they are not bad score. And I am a mediocre player at best. So I will not agree that - "Even if you have lots of xp in other ship classes, they don't relate to CV" - is a valid statement. I know many people say in forum things like "You don't know about CV cause you don't play CV", but that's a wrong concept. (Specially for players coming from long time dota2/sc background).

Edited by icy_phoenix

[STUN]
79 posts
2,082 battles

I've always disliked the forced tutorial thing.

My suggestion:
1.Text based instruction followed by
2.Optional Tutorial.

Reasoning:
I've played many games where the tutorial is unskippable, most of which I already know  because I watched many videos of said games before buying/playing them.

The Manual drops can just be a simple text instruction.

Also, rather than force new cv players to play co-op, incentivise them. Maybe throw in like a mission for new cv players to play X amount of co-op battles for a reasonable amount. Also, 20 is a bit much. maybe 5 or 10. (or attain top 3/5 in X amount of co-op battles)

160 posts
7,846 battles

They good take the format of the existing scenarios including Dunkirk, and build the tutorials like that.  Each class gets some scenarios of increasing tactics and mechanics but disguised as fun so people do them!.  Secondary tasks are the objectives etc.

I hope this is how the tutorials are done, be such a waste not to.

199 posts
8,069 battles

about tutorial, WG should make video How to IJN CV and How to USN CV, of course with all setup...
because when i see Farazelleth and Femennenly they only play IJN ....
last time i see USN CV tutorial video it already obsolate video....

[LNA]
1,616 posts
10,235 battles
Just now, Gesterbein said:

about tutorial, WG should make video How to IJN CV and How to USN CV, of course with all setup...
because when i see Farazelleth and Femennenly they only play IJN ....
last time i see USN CV tutorial video it already obsolate video....

meh , you can ask @stratmania to donate one of his US CV gameplay in Midway.

Last time meeting him he was busy sealclubbing newbies :Smile_trollface:.

US carriers until Midway sucks because of inproportionate capability. Not that  they are not good , but their IJN brethen simply have too high of a skill ceiling.

Midway specifically can do the poor man human wave charge at a Hakuryuu till he run out of planes. The Haku simply dont have the reserve to manfight it. Same goes between 211 Essex and 232 Taiho, but Taiho can deal a lot more damage than Essex ever can in these match up

400 posts
3,941 battles

Observations made at 30 votes, for those reading, lets get to a 100 for stats.  (Cause WG actually listens to Asia suggestions.)

It seems that for Question 1 and Question 3, people are fairly in agreement that some sort of instruction, whether mandatory or optional is needed for first time T3 players and First time T6 CV players to help them play the game better.  Got to differing ideas on how to go about that.

For Question 2 this seems to be the argument that we are having.  23 out of 30 (current voters of posting) agree that new CV players need some sort of time alone to help them play better in randoms.  We are arguing about how to do this.

Maybe a scenario operation that is for T4 only and is always up there?  (Very low rewards and payouts to discourage xp players from clubbing it?) The instructions on the scenario making it clear that it's for learning a ship class you are not good at and the secondary/main tasks are made to help you learn about it.  Maybe have some friendly Bots give advice on how to do things in chat?  

Any other ideas here?

400 posts
3,941 battles
On 10/27/2017 at 7:46 AM, BunnyDragon said:

For Question 2 this seems to be the argument that we are having.  23 out of 30 (current voters of posting) agree that new CV players need some sort of time alone to help them play better in randoms.  We are arguing about how to do this.

Maybe a scenario operation that is for T4 only and is always up there?  (Very low rewards and payouts to discourage xp players from clubbing it?) The instructions on the scenario making it clear that it's for learning a ship class you are not good at and the secondary/main tasks are made to help you learn about it.  Maybe have some friendly Bots give advice on how to do things in chat?  

Any other ideas here?

Any comments on this idea?

Getting closer to 50

2,174 posts
13,462 battles
On 10/26/2017 at 4:29 AM, mitts said:

I've always disliked the forced tutorial thing.

My suggestion:
1.Text based instruction followed by
2.Optional Tutorial.

Reasoning:
I've played many games where the tutorial is unskippable, most of which I already know  because I watched many videos of said games before buying/playing them.

The Manual drops can just be a simple text instruction.

Also, rather than force new cv players to play co-op, incentivise them. Maybe throw in like a mission for new cv players to play X amount of co-op battles for a reasonable amount. Also, 20 is a bit much. maybe 5 or 10. (or attain top 3/5 in X amount of co-op battles)

I dislike being forced to play with a CV who hasn't had any practice.

My suggestion:

Make them practice.

Reasoning:

It's a team game.

Incentive:

I expect you will get more XP winning in co-op than you will losing in random. So it makes sense to practice if not just to progress faster. But turns out you don't

Edited by keskparane

400 posts
3,941 battles
1 hour ago, keskparane said:

Incentive:

I expect you will get more XP winning in co-op than you will losing in random. So it makes sense to practice if not just to progress faster.

I practiced in co-op myself until I figured out how to CV at average potato level (not dumb a$$ level) and unfortunately you don't get more xp in co-op than losing in random if you don't know what you are doing.  You only get more xp in co-op over losing in random when you have an actual idea of what you are doing and try to do so.

It's why I like the idea of a special scenario for CV or tutorial for them. It doesn't pay to play co-op except to learn how to not lose.