You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LordTyphoon

Premium BB Idea: USS Tennessee

25 comments in this topic

980 posts
12,693 battles

It's been a while since a Premium US battleship has been released. Last one I think was the Missouri.  

The USS Tennessee would be a good idea for a Tier 7 premium American BB! As an American battleship heavily kitted for a secondary/AA build.

In my mind, I'd have the Tennessee built like this:

Pros:

- stronger/higher secondary range, accuracy, fire chance, and damage for tier 7

- powerful AA rating for tier 7

- powerful Colorado armour when angled

- Arizona's higher sigma compared to the New Mexico

- Colorado's relatively more powerful heal

Cons:

- Bloody slow for a Tier 7 at a top speed of 21 knots

- Poor torpedo protection

- Tier 6 14-inch guns at Tier 7

- Colorado hit points, low for a Tier 7

I can see some potential issues with it being too slow to chase down equal or higher tier enemy ships to shower secondaries on them, as well as getting to places on high-tier maps (think Arizona on North map, changing flanks takes half an hour). Also US 14 inch guns with its crappy HE fire chance) may be useless against Tier 9 BBs. 

Thoughts? :fish_cute_2:

images (7).jpg

Edited by LordTyphoon

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

well Scharnhorst pretty much proof that even much smaller guns but better in number are much better than BIG  but few guns

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles
35 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

Thoughts: Thank God Typhoon is not working for WG already in balance department... :cap_fainting:

Typhoon at Saint Petersburg would be a mess ba dum tss

1,539 posts
4 hours ago, LordTyphoon said:

It's been a while since a Premium US battleship has been released. Last one I think was the Missouri.  

The USS Tennessee would be a good idea for a Tier 7 premium American BB! As an American battleship heavily kitted for a secondary/AA build.

In my mind, I'd have the Tennessee built like this:

Pros:

- stronger/higher secondary range, accuracy, fire chance, and damage for tier 7

- powerful AA rating for tier 7

- powerful Colorado armour when angled

- Arizona's higher sigma compared to the New Mexico

- Colorado's relatively more powerful heal

Cons:

- Bloody slow for a Tier 7 at a top speed of 21 knots

- Poor torpedo protection

- Tier 6 14-inch guns at Tier 7

- Colorado hit points, low for a Tier 7

I can see some potential issues with it being too slow to chase down equal or higher tier enemy ships to shower secondaries on them, as well as getting to places on high-tier maps (think Arizona on North map, changing flanks takes half an hour). Also US 14 inch guns with its crappy HE fire chance) may be useless against Tier 9 BBs. 

Thoughts? :fish_cute_2:

images (7).jpg

I quite like this idea......

I know the DDbabies won't like it though, I can already hear the moaning "oh, not more BBs"

:Smile_trollface:

Ordrazz

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,917 battles

Sounds like USS KGV with crippled engine :Smile_trollface:

But I personally will not allow this to happen until they replace Colorado with West Virginia.

1,539 posts
1 minute ago, MatterCore said:

mine >> Nevada << need some difference

1280px-Uss_nevada.jpg

I'd prefer Oklahoma than her modified sister, much nicer looking than this...

But another good suggestion.   :cap_like::cap_like:

Ordrazz

[LBAS]
4,572 posts
25,972 battles
17 minutes ago, Ordrazz said:

I'd prefer Oklahoma than her modified sister, much nicer looking than this...

But another good suggestion.   :cap_like::cap_like:

Ordrazz

Similar to Pepsicola / Julius Caesar, but unique guns set 2x2 2x3; too many 4x3:cap_popcorn:

1,539 posts
Just now, MatterCore said:

:cap_cool::fish_glass:

I just like the look of Oaklahona better personally, IMHO Nevada looks ugly & too similar looking to Alabama/Nth Carolina...... Unless we could have both hulls....

:Smile_honoring:

Ordrazz

980 posts
12,693 battles
2 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Thoughts: Thank God Typhoon is not working for WG already in balance department... :cap_fainting:

How would you balance it? Instead of criticising my idea some input from you would be nice? At least @Harpoon01 had his suggestion about scharnhorst.

I'm betting that a post-Pearl Harbour modified WWII US BB will be released by WG as a premium at some point. They will sell well in NA I'm sure.

Edited by LordTyphoon

461 posts
8,515 battles

It's an interesting idea, the ship herself is interesting enough. She is much like the New Mexico in many aspects, but was modified to have much longer range guns (because of a significant increase in elevation) and better protection. Looking at the picture and the modernised secondaries/AA it would be totally reasonable for them to be stronger than those on Colorado, whose AA is already pretty good. I don't imagine the secondaries would see much action given her speed.

Given she has 14" guns her AP wouldn't be as good as Colorado, but if it were similar to New Mexico it should still be able to citadel at least T8 BBs that are broad. (I've done this to North Carolina in the New Mex a few times). It would probably work much like KGV does except with a couple more guns, less fire chance, and better AP. I'd imagine her sigma/dispersion would be better than New Mexico, but not as good as Colorado.

I'd say it's probably totally workable to balance. There's nothing about her that is OP/UP compared to T7 BBs we already have. All the T7 BBs suffer against T9 BBs so that probably shouldn't be a big worry.

[STUN]
[STUN]
79 posts
2,208 battles

Talking about Premium ships:

I would like:
Hyuuga Post-1943 reconstrucion

So that's what, 8x 356mm rifles?
1 dive bomber squad?
1 fighter squad?

s.jpg

Beta Tester
628 posts
6,896 battles
10 hours ago, mitts said:

Talking about Premium ships:

I would like:
Hyuuga Post-1943 reconstrucion

So that's what, 8x 356mm rifles?
1 dive bomber squad?
1 fighter squad?

s.jpg

Launching planes off that thing must have been a nightmare.  Short flight deck with ship instead of sea to crash into if you don't get enough airspeed on take off.  You wouldn't want your post to be that first AA gun in front of the flight deck...

Beta Tester
628 posts
6,896 battles
On 10/23/2017 at 5:08 PM, LordTyphoon said:

images (7).jpg

Surely she'd be a T6 Typhoon.  It looks very similar to the Arizona in all the important balancing points.  Same guns, same speed and maneuverability.  The gun stats would have to be seriously massaged to fit it into T7.

[MEGA]
4,654 posts
17,883 battles
14 minutes ago, Moggytwo said:

Surely she'd be a T6 Typhoon.  It looks very similar to the Arizona in all the important balancing points.  Same guns, same speed and maneuverability.  The gun stats would have to be seriously massaged to fit it into T7.

look at the ammount of AA she has, she'd be another new york

[STUN]
[STUN]
79 posts
2,208 battles
3 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

Launching planes off that thing must have been a nightmare.  Short flight deck with ship instead of sea to crash into if you don't get enough airspeed on take off.  You wouldn't want your post to be that first AA gun in front of the flight deck...

think it was by catapult,

IIRC the fighters were floatplanes and either way, recovery was planned to be done by other ships (dedicated CVs I think) before being transferred back to the Hyuuga.

Edit: Also, take-off was toward the rear, not the front. There is not enough length on the deck for it to take-off forwards, notwithstanding the aft-bridge.

Edited by mitts

[MEGA]
4,654 posts
17,883 battles
4 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

launched via catapult and recovered by crane like a normal seaplane