You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Shankeyyy

Any RN CL expert?

11 comments in this topic

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,772 posts
4,021 battles

What's your question about them. Plenty of people play them. They really only shine from the Leander onwards.  Some such as the Fiji are extremely good ships, but we have to see how they adapt to 6.1.2 changes.

[COAT]
1,159 posts
9,852 battles

Play like a DD.(Before 0.6.12)

But personally I think now it got a big nerf owing to smoke mechanism,so you can choose to be sniper(T8 or higher,attack BB's superstructure) or plays like Khabarovsk(take radar if you have)

Its AP use shorter fuse,which means they rarely over-penetrate DD.But the ballistic performs badly in long range(Only can be used against superstructure).If you want to citadel,get in closer.

148 posts
555 battles
4 hours ago, Kim_JongMion said:

Play like a DD.(Before 0.6.12)

But personally I think now it got a big nerf owing to smoke mechanism,so you can choose to be sniper(T8 or higher,attack BB's superstructure) or plays like Khabarovsk(take radar if you have)

Its AP use shorter fuse,which means they rarely over-penetrate DD.But the ballistic performs badly in long range(Only can be used against superstructure).If you want to citadel,get in closer.

U play RN CLs?

907 posts
7,203 battles

I did play RN cruisers a fair bit. I have T5 to T10 most with 10 to 12 point captains. I sold my T1 to T4 ships. The T5 Emerald I hardly play, her guns lack punch, compared to T6 Leander and up. T6 and up are good ships, agile, fast firing guns in fast turning turrets, good AA…

There are a number of captain skills or flags RN cruisers will benefit from, the Wiki pretty much covers that.

The obvious weakness of RN cruisers is the thin armour which was compensated by smoke. Now with the smoke nerf in 0.6.12 I really have to see how things work. I have not sold my Belfast yet.

Something important but easy to learn is to slow down your ship before you drop smoke. Compared to your average DD, action time of smoke generators is relatively short - slow down to half speed or so before you drop smoke. Otherwise, the ship easily overshoots the smoke and is annihilated.

Not so easy to learn is positioning your ship for an attack. You need to work with the map. Your smoke will expire and you have to have an exit plan for when that happens. An island for cover nearby is always good. Keep an eye on the smoke timer, so your ship can accelerate before the smoke expires.

Important to consider is that there has to be someone spotting for you when you sit inside smoke. That again involves looking on the map and positioning your ship.

British AP is good for scoring citadels against other cruisers… however, you have to get in close and enemy cruisers have to show a lot of broadside for that.

RN cruisers are good ships for contesting caps, British AP is effective against DD’s.

For some of the scenarios, Leander is/was a great ship, for example, “Defense of Newport” or “Aegis”. You position your ship adjacent to the path of the attacking bots, slow down, drop smoke and torp and citadel them from the side. But watch, often your smoke will expire when there are still enemies afloat.

Using scenarios, Leander is an excellent XP earner… you can train your captains on Leander playing scenarios and then move them to other ships.

148 posts
555 battles
On 10/24/2017 at 5:30 AM, PeterMoe1963 said:

I did play RN cruisers a fair bit. I have T5 to T10 most with 10 to 12 point captains. I sold my T1 to T4 ships. The T5 Emerald I hardly play, her guns lack punch, compared to T6 Leander and up. T6 and up are good ships, agile, fast firing guns in fast turning turrets, good AA…

There are a number of captain skills or flags RN cruisers will benefit from, the Wiki pretty much covers that.

The obvious weakness of RN cruisers is the thin armour which was compensated by smoke. Now with the smoke nerf in 0.6.12 I really have to see how things work. I have not sold my Belfast yet.

Something important but easy to learn is to slow down your ship before you drop smoke. Compared to your average DD, action time of smoke generators is relatively short - slow down to half speed or so before you drop smoke. Otherwise, the ship easily overshoots the smoke and is annihilated.

Not so easy to learn is positioning your ship for an attack. You need to work with the map. Your smoke will expire and you have to have an exit plan for when that happens. An island for cover nearby is always good. Keep an eye on the smoke timer, so your ship can accelerate before the smoke expires.

Important to consider is that there has to be someone spotting for you when you sit inside smoke. That again involves looking on the map and positioning your ship.

British AP is good for scoring citadels against other cruisers… however, you have to get in close and enemy cruisers have to show a lot of broadside for that.

RN cruisers are good ships for contesting caps, British AP is effective against DD’s.

For some of the scenarios, Leander is/was a great ship, for example, “Defense of Newport” or “Aegis”. You position your ship adjacent to the path of the attacking bots, slow down, drop smoke and torp and citadel them from the side. But watch, often your smoke will expire when there are still enemies afloat.

Using scenarios, Leander is an excellent XP earner… you can train your captains on Leander playing scenarios and then move them to other ships.

Thank you.

907 posts
7,203 battles
On 10/24/2017 at 1:00 PM, PeterMoe1963 said:

Some additional “wisdom” in relation to the above.

I have not played all that many games using RN cruisers since the updates 0.6.12 and 0.6.13.

One of the changes was duration of the “smoke drop” from 7 sec to 15 sec. That still requires you to slow down before you start the smoke generators, but the additional seconds really help. Smoke Screen Expert is still a valuable skill, but I dare say you can do without it and use skill points elsewhere.

The new “fire from smoke” detection, I would not have noticed, if nobody told me. For the normal distances an RN Cruiser would engage enemy ships with guns, the smoke still hides you. (I find the change affects high concealment DD's much more.)

I have been spotted a few times inside smoke by radar, which is a different story. If you play smart, you can still do a lot of damage using the “normal” tactics for RN cruisers. But if you are not smart, the game can end quickly and your ship sunk.

So after playing only a few games, I think that the RN cruisers are still playable, the updates have not changed much.

It really depends on the enemy, too. I had a game where several USN and IJN cruisers sailed fairly close to my Fiji inside smoke, say 8km, and I was able to score a fair few citadels. Another game, whenever I dropped smoke, ships just turn and sailed out of my gun range quickly.

I guess there just isn’t a silver bullet, but you definitely need to learn/develop the some tactics specific for RN cruisers, or you may get very frustrated.