You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

Padding, Clubbing, Scrubbing and Grinding

25 comments in this topic

349 posts
4,845 battles

One complaint you often hear about WoWS is how long the grinds are and how it costs money to shorten them. Well, fair enough: if WG can make money off impatient people, good for them. Better pay-to-scrub than pay-to-win. I realized very early on playing the game however that grinding is the game. If you play for the enjoyment of the battles, it doesn't matter what tier you play at, or how long it takes to unlock a new ship - you'll want to go back and play your lower tier roster anyway.

I've noticed that even with a regular account, I'm stockpiling credits and free XP faster than my skills are advancing. So I have a fully upgraded Colorado, but I'm only just getting decent at playing N. Mexico... and most days I can be found in a New York, learning the art of carry, or "clubbing" in a Wyoming (the only ship I'd consider myself actually dangerous in).

Same story with the IJN CA and DD lines I play. I could get any of the T7 ship today (Akatsuki already in port, could afford both Shiratsuyu and Myoko), but I'm basically still a T5 player - so why rush?

I don't consider this stat padding. I'm not playing at lower tiers to win. Mostly I'm playing at T5 to get good, and if I'm playing T4 it's for the fun of those chaotic T3-4 matches, not to pad my reputation. And it's not like I'm the only "good" player down there ... you regularly find several high-ranked players in isokaze or clemson or kuma and this makes the games quite challenging.

So, "what's your end game?" Do you guys really want to work your way up to T10? Originally my goals were modest: get Fubuki, Furutaka, and N.Mex. Today, I'm thinking I'll get N. Carolina and the T7 IJN boats and that will be that. I'm never going to be competitive at T8-10. Other people have more time than me, and it doesn't even appeal. From what I can see the fun is at T3-8.

Edited by Rina_Pon
misspelled 'shiratsuyu'

1,546 posts

Great post, a wonderful discussional  topic too...

Thank you for a refreshing thread.

+1

This is why I stay at lower tiers, I get more enjoyable battles between 2 - 8, & you can't just call it clubbing, because many of us go lower tiers anyway.... But t5 I think is the sweetest tier...

I play to have fun, I love ships, & to get to sail & battle with them is wonderful....& battling other players is great.... & with discord for chatting with my clan or other players I play with, is great ....

I have deliberately not gone to t10...

Ordrazz

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,325 battles

To be very honestly, after I bought my premium camo for my GK, it has been my go to ship. The secondaries are fun, an average salvo is still above 10k (Anything above 10k damage just feels great) If not, it'll be my Sims. Knife fighting in my Sims is also something I really enjoy now. Otherwise, I'll either play my Prinz Eugen for waifu reasons. That's it. The rest aren't that enjoyable for me.

671 posts
1,508 battles

I have the Tashkent and I really really want the Khab driver, but at the same time I really rarely have fun with Russian Destroyers. The Cleveland on the other hand, ohohoho. I'm currently grinding to get the KGV(Currently 12k away from the Queen) and I really don't actually wanna advance anywhere. I learnt to stop rushing and slow down when I recently got back in the game and realised how much I have lost my skill. So my goal is to get it back.

41 posts
2,852 battles

Also, like most games in general(F2P or not), one of the main objectives is to get people to have fun, enjoy and learn from the experience they got from playing.

(Too bad there are too many thick-headed people to understand this.)

1,110 posts
7,850 battles

Well, diffrent people catter to diffrent experience.

Every ship, and every lines provide diffrent experience for the player (except French cruiser IMO)

I like modern looking ships, and aesthetic for me Is one of the reason I like play on mid to higher tier and grind the peak of respective line 

High tier also where unique trait of each nation line start to become more apparent.

the rapid reload of Des Moines, the Russian railguns, German Hydro, and so on

On Lower tier, there less trait to be found. and most of the ship were similiar-ish

which actualy mirrored RL. since every countries that makes first and second generation dreadnaught practicly tried to copy what british does.

Dreadnought race is practicly blank slate and fresh start on warship design, each nation start up with basicly the same template

its not until latter that each nation start to impose their own doctrine and end up being differ with each other

Also I like playing cruiser.

Lower tier cruiser is to put it mildly very weak, compared to other class. its not till nearring the peak that cruiser start shinning

Most of the people going back play lower tier, mostly play battleship - CV or DD . but rarely cruiser

sure there is strong low tier cruiser like Kuma. but its still a Kuma.

If people saw Zao, they wont say it just Zao. 

Beta Tester
213 posts
4,131 battles

My currently target is fully research IJN line,

I enjoy my Kuma, Akizuki and Harekaze, they are fun to play

This game not WoT, there is no xvm, even if get purple stats, there way you show it in public except in clan and your personal profile. Most of ppl don't even care about Hall of fame, and  the stats  doesn't make any sense in this game since it heavy RNG, I think enjoy the game is most important .

Edited by K135Blitzkrieg

124 posts

My intention or target was up to Tier VI for all ship class and nations, except CV which I don't play at all. The only nations and ship class beyond Tier VI I'm interested going down the line but in no hurry is USN and IJN cruisers.

I have in mind to move Steven Seagal down the USN BB line, but I wanted him on New Mexico forever. I could buy Colorado but doesn't seems will be happening.

I rarely play on lower tiers even though I still kept some favourite low tiers ships. Except today. For first time ever, I used Svietlana (I grinded through Co-op) to purposefully seal club to complete the final Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya's task.

27 posts
1,103 battles
9 hours ago, Ordrazz said:

This is why I stay at lower tiers, I get more enjoyable battles between 2 - 8,

I'm lucky to get into a match in t2, the other day after a 4 minute wait I was put into a 1 v 1 battle!

I know I'm no great shakes at this game, but how the hell am I and others supposed to get experience if we can't find a game at the appropriate levels?

Smokey

28 posts
3,271 battles

This is an issue I had with War Thunder as well, in that I prefer First World War or Inter-war designs over the late war machines most aspire too. I never really cared about P-51's, Fw-190's, or Me-262's. The planes I liked most were Beaumonts, or Hurricanes or Ki-43 Oscars. But if you play those you are stuck playing low tiers, which, by definition, either makes you a noob or a seal clubber of some sort. Having a linear progression, in which higher tiers are considered to be 'better' and for 'more skilled players' just means most won't be caught dead playing lower tier and instead race through up the line till they can get to 'good stuff'. Its a perception thats only reinforced by Clan Wars now being Tier 10

It's a weird conceit, and a strange format for Wargaming to adopt when they put as much effort into making lower tier ships as they do the higher tiers ones. How many players will never even consider the Vampire, because "it's just tier 3"? All those Tier 1 ships which nobody ever plays (beyond a few diehards...). Moving up the tree shouldn't be the be all to end all, and a sure fire indicator of a players skill or lack thereof. I'd love to see a season of ranked at Tier 4 or 3. That'd be interesting, especially with the current smoke/camping meta at higher tiers...

1,078 posts
3,886 battles

Started playing the game in OBT knowing that the German line would be released at some stage,and wanting to pay the Bismarck,Baden ( Bayern ),Prinz Eugen and Admiral Graf Spee. I now have all of them between my ASIA and NA accounts,so I have my end game already.Played up to T8 in the German BB and T9 in the Cruisers,as well as T7 in the USA BB and cruisers.

Now just play for the fun of it in PvE and Operations and getting my Captains specced up.

8 hours ago, Smokeyr867 said:

I'm lucky to get into a match in t2, the other day after a 4 minute wait I was put into a 1 v 1 battle!

I know I'm no great shakes at this game, but how the hell am I and others supposed to get experience if we can't find a game at the appropriate levels?

Smokey

At T 1 and 2 you are probably better off going to PvE unless its full on peak time,at least you will get a decent amount of ships in the game even if they are all bots.

455 posts
8,038 battles
7 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

To put it in short,

I play whichever ship I want, you call it whatever you want. Do I really care about if it is unfair for enemy team? Absolutely not. They are the bad guys in red!

You cant just justify 3 belfast division with fair words icy :cap_cool:
stop doing it

Super Tester
7,740 posts
8,031 battles
1 hour ago, Adm_Kunkka said:

You cant just justify 3 belfast division with fair words icy :cap_cool:
stop doing it

Haven't done it yet, and I don't think that 3 Belfast division is even optimal. Calm down.

580 posts
1,602 battles

When I started with this game I was aiming to get a Yammy... but boi did that dream get blown out of the water so quick... When I got sunk by the first Cleveland I encountered it was pretty clear that this game had other plans for me and I just went along with the flow with Cruisers and discovered the fun of Destroyers...

When I got my first inklings of high tier battles I had high hopes but meh, low and mid tiers are much more fun with the variety of player types that populate those tiers both beginners and veterans alike... plus with the lower repair bills, all I got to worry about is the enemy ahead of me and my allies beside me...

So pretty much I'm playing for the fun of it right now too... until the next big update I am pretty much content with what the game has offered

Edited by Kreigg

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,313 posts

There is no real need to get to tier X.

True, there are traits specific to the higher tiers that are play worthy, but it is not the be all to end all of the game.

I myself only play PvE, because it offers more of a single player experience, and I only play randoms when I'm testing.

I do have tier 9's and 10's in my port, but that's where they stay.

I have more fun in ships from tiers 6-8.

The bottom line is, play the ships you like to play and you will enjoy the game more.

1,546 posts
2 hours ago, LtDan_IceCream said:

True, there are traits specific to the higher tiers that are play worthy, but it is not the be all to end all of the game.

I myself only play PvE, because it offers more of a single player experience, and I only play randoms when I'm testing.

I do have tier 9's and 10's in my port, but that's where they stay.

I have more fun in ships from tiers 6-8.

The bottom line is, play the ships you like to play and you will enjoy the game more.

Have a +1

39 posts
13,131 battles
On 10/22/2017 at 8:32 AM, JarofVegemite said:

This is an issue I had with War Thunder as well, in that I prefer First World War or Inter-war designs over the late war machines most aspire too.

Kindred spirit sighted, ahoy! :cap_look: 

I love the technology and industrial style of the late 1800s - early 1900s, and I love ships.  The only reason I tried WoWs was because I discovered it had ships of that era (rare in pc games).  I have little interest in ships of WW2 or later eras.  So I mainly play Tiers 2 - 4, because those are the tiers with the ships I find beautiful and fascinating.  I wish there were a few tiers lower still, with earlier pre-dreadnought designs.

But if you play those you are stuck playing low tiers, which, by definition, either makes you a noob or a seal clubber of some sort.

As a fellow early ships fan, I could not agree more!  It's a shame the vessels that are, to my eyes, the most attractive and interesting, are the ones slotted for new players to rush through first on their way to the upper tiers. 

I often wonder how many other players there are like us - experienced, but prefer the lower tiers because of the ships or the gameplay.  Although there are lots of new skippers in low tier matches, I'm sure there are also plenty of experienced players.  How many are just passing through as they start a new line, versus playing low tiers because they like to?

Having a linear progression, in which higher tiers are considered to be 'better' and for 'more skilled players' just means most won't be caught dead playing lower tier and instead race through up the line till they can get to 'good stuff'. [...]  Moving up the tree shouldn't be the be all to end all, and a sure fire indicator of a players skill or lack thereof.

Yes, it would be so interesting if progress was not aligned with chronological change in ship technology.  Now, earlier ships are generally seen as "entry level".  How different it would be if players advanced mainly by increasing their experience/skills/ship capabilities for ships of any era, and match-making was set up accordingly.  Something like matches for "low experience early ships", "intermediate experience early ships", "high experience early ships", etc.  Sadly, I guess that would require a much larger player base than we have now.

Edited by Shanghai_Slim

Super Tester
7,740 posts
8,031 battles
On 10/23/2017 at 3:59 PM, LtDan_IceCream said:

Well, there is one BIG reason to get tier X ships. Ships are amazing there, almost every single one.

Edited by icy_phoenix

[MEGA]
4,662 posts
17,899 battles
6 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Well, there is one BIG reason to get tier X ships. Ships are amazing there, almost every single one.

*looks at shitmekashit*

jokes aside, apart from T1-3(not accounting for prem ships) T9-10 is probably the most balanced ship tiers in the game, while there are some hideous grinds you need to get past (looks at izumo), there isn't really any ships are feel downright brokenly OP or supremely underwhelming (yes, even shimakaze isnt too bad if you play her right) if the captain at the helm knows his shit, the match maker at the tier also guarantees that you are either the biggest baddest thing in the room or the 2nd closest thing. just like how some people enjoy the guilty pleasure of farming noobs and skrubs at low tiers, i love to whack normies in my T10s, especially since when you get a feel for the pace and rhythm of high tier battles, the ability to change the tide of battle with these ships fast isnnt something you can get with a lower tier where all you skill and knowledge cant compensate for dispersion and slow speed, that's why i have painted most my T10s in gold and i plan to do so for any T10s that i enjoy

Edited by drakon233

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

you see, you grind to tier 10 to expand your business. Now you are producing tier 5 salt, but when you get to tier 10, you produce salt from tier 10 all the way back down to tier 10. That is a good variety to choose from and occasionally you even recieve massive salt packet drops in the game chat! How fun is that! :Smile_trollface:

also a lot of weeb ships are high tier and you get to lewd them

37 posts
13,410 battles

My end game is minotaur. It's fragile but very potent, giving you reward for taking risks and punishing you so hard if you make a slightest mistake. That, I think, is how the ships should be balanced.

Playing mino reminds me of the olden days of gunboating w/ Mahan when there were no radar, no dd with sonar etc..

tldr ver: it's stupid fun.

...and it goes even better if you're in a 3-mino division. The fireworks show is quite something to behold. 

I have most fun playing this game when I'm in my mino. Especially in division. lel