Sign in to follow this  
Miproyq

How to play Cleveland?

10 comments in this topic

5 posts
1,445 battles

I got 50k free xp in a supercontainer(woohoo!) and ended up skipping the Omaha to get the Cleveland. 

After playing for a while I noticed 2 main problems w/ the guns:

1. Stupidly slow and high shell arc

2. Even when you do hit something, it under-pens(especially BBs)

Its really frustrating, the under-penetrating shells. I can't get any damage in at all.

Any tips for a newbie like me?

671 posts
1,508 battles

-Get IFHE ASAP, your HE penetrates a lot

-build for AA, at the lower tiers CVs tend to pop up and your AA is very very good for a T6

-My tactic is to hide behind an island and shoot, the arcs are enough to go over the island

and the last one is to just play a lot of games in her. Get used to the arcs, her armour and her general feel

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,772 posts
4,021 battles

The Cleveland is a good ship as long as you can lead your shots.   As Shado said, spec it for AA and then skill your captain with AA related skills as well as ifhe and DE.  IFHE decrease fire chances slightly but you can load flags to mostly recover this loss.  Wait for a ship to use its repair party then burn it again.   Rinse repeat from behind cover where your shot arc saves you.

I've never sold mine.   It was an absolute animal in Alpha testing and has been nerfed like crazy but is still a good ship.

581 posts
7,452 battles

My Upgrades: Main Armanent

AA range

Damage Control Party 1

Rudder Shift

Get Bhull->Range

173 posts
5,332 battles

Cleveland requires good positioning and map awareness to be effective. Spend time to master her and you will be rewarded. I say a good Cleveland captain will be a good cruiser captain overall.

980 posts
12,617 battles

What this video by flamu. 

Shows you what the Cleveland is strong at. Note his positioning in the map and how the shells can fly over islands, while he can't be shot back. 

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

Cleveland is a fantastic ship if you play her right, plus it's good for when the enemy aviation is giving you a bad day. I'm running a full AA spec Cleveland but you can try other loadouts if you want.

Upgrades: Main Armament Mod 1, AA Mod 2, Damage Control Mod 1, Steering Gears Mod 2 for AA spec, replace AA Mod 2 with Aiming Sys Mod 1 for surface spec.

Commander: PT, AR, BFT, AFT, CE for AA spec, PT, AR, DE, IFHE, CE for surface spec.

Research hull and gfcs first, gun research can come later. With regard to playstyle, don't go lone wolf. Stick with the pack, preferably ships with large calibers (such as battleships). Lay down suppressing fire on other BBs and CAs, and use DFAA to make enemy aviation disappear if they get too close. You can also be a discount atlanta and camp islands, shooting over islands with impunity from being shot back. Basically, spam HE where you can.

Super Tester
7,375 posts
7,889 battles

Kite vs bigger ships.

Take cover behind mountains where you will be protected from BB shots.

Go ham on DDs but don't go out of cover much. Be aggressive when fighting other cruisers one on one. Don't under estimate your AP shells.

Place yourself on the path of enemy CV squadrons.

If you can div, div with a DD with good smoke.

Sign in to follow this