You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
PGM991

If WoWS become 'pay to play' , will you still play it?

23 comments in this topic

1,114 posts

I know it's not gonna happen, but just curious 

recently, there was a disturbing news about micro-transaction of online competitive game.

be it OP loot creates or match making exploit to encourage player to buy in-game item

I understand why many people start to concern about this news and how bad it is for future of online game.

but...

I understand that game company is not a charity work, they didn't just 'want' money,  they 'NEED' money to run and they have to make player want to pay for it.

it hard to find balance between this two...

if game become 'pay to play' none of these issue would happen but then again... will you still play it?

I'll play,

as long as it's not a 'daily' base like current premium account.

it's reminisce me when I'm play old, original ragnarok online where I have to buy air-time to play, 20 hour, 40 hour, 80 hour etc.

1,091 posts
7,756 battles

There is a term called Paid Extension, or more recent term DLC

which locked certain gameplay feature of proffesion behind Paywall

on old World of warcraft, you pay subscription fee.

then new DLC required you to BUY it, or you can not access some maps and proffesion

some recent games like Destiny, require player to subscribe to PS+ to be able to play, and then there is paid DLC too

what makes you think, it wont happen

Imagine Every new ship lines locked behind "Paid expansion/DLC" after launch

you pay 10$ a month to play,

oh you want to play new British battleship ?

for $20. you can !

oh you like Bismarck ?

they kinda old lines, so its discounted $10

oh, the new operation map is 5$ DLC

and so on and on

what makes you think, They wont bleed people that way

People that pay to play would be so invested (since they paid for it already), that they would not mind additional payment for that kind of paywall easily

and you have more people screaming UNFAIR, because now its not just 1 special (op or not) premium ship that locked behind payment. but freaking entire line

Like it or not F2P model, were more Fair IMO

you can play the game without spending a dime. 

sometimes Some whale might make you green in envy (All unfair complain is always because jelousy and envy doesnt it ? gamers is basicly all salty non righteus person )

but compared to subscription plan, and paid DLC. ill chose F2P anytime

312 posts
6,770 battles

If Wargaming were to release a line of ships (example Chinese), and in that line you are given a full Tier 1-10 of premium ships.... or a Premium Commander that can be interchanged thru the line.... plus a series of missions that will be the way you unlock the next ship in the Tree. Would people pay (example) $50 that would give them the T1 starter ship, and a guaranteed T10 ship at the end when the missions are completed? 

1,277 posts
8,576 battles

Depends. If it is a one-time purchase like then I wouldn't mind.

But if it is a subscription model then nope. The subscription model is why I refused to play WoW despite it being all the rage back then.

257 posts
4,622 battles

I will not play it if it became a pay to win game, not going to keep throwing money into the game like a bottomless pit. Even if I invest some money initially, but my mind will auto reject (grow tired of) the game when I keep playing. Though if the money I throw in is free (like get from doing survey), then maybe I will stay longer.

2 hours ago, Kamanah said:

If Wargaming were to release a line of ships (example Chinese), and in that line you are given a full Tier 1-10 of premium ships.... or a Premium Commander that can be interchanged thru the line.... plus a series of missions that will be the way you unlock the next ship in the Tree. Would people pay (example) $50 that would give them the T1 starter ship, and a guaranteed T10 ship at the end when the missions are completed? 

If the line is good, I guess more will pay. Else, only a handful, plus the CC will complain all they want on YouTube and forum.

Edited by GRADAN31
added comments for original post

1,114 posts

wait... I think there's a bit misunderstand

there's two model of online game industry.

1. pay to play (no micro-transaction) : the 'whole game' is lock and you have to buy air time to play it.

2. free to play (with micro-transaction) : you still able to play for free but there additional Item, content that have to pay for, and each item and content have different price too

it's the (2) one that been on the news lately. and WoWs are currently in (2) too

Edited by PGM991

[LBAS]
4,329 posts
25,292 battles
1 hour ago, PGM991 said:

1. pay to play (no micro-transaction) : the 'whole game' is lock and you have to buy air time to play it.

2. free to play (with micro-transaction) : you still able to play for free but there additional Item, content that have to pay for, and each item and content have different price too

it's the (2) one that been on the news lately. and WoWs are currently in (2) too

the 2nd is more badass than 1st, like a vampire >> example: Clash of Clans

Edited by MatterCore

64 posts
3,175 battles

I might play it but the business types will have a brainwave: 'why not have both?'

Then it becomes the same situation, but with poorer players.

1,277 posts
8,576 battles
10 hours ago, PGM991 said:

I see. I thought you were talking about (1).

I guess WoWs and its Premium ships are fine since they are just individual ships. But I am against locking content like game modes or maps since all it does is just divide the playerbase, and it kinda goes against the idea of F2P. Imagine locking Scenarios or Ranked behind some paid DLC. I doubt players will be happy as they cannot experience the full game without paying something.

Another problem with F2P games is if the developers are not careful with balancing paid items, the game will be accused of being pay-to-win. Because F2P games need to make money somehow, and the easiest and laziest way to do that would be to release some overpowered item to encourage players to part with their money to gain an advantage over those who don't.

That is not to say that pay-to-play games don't have this problem, but this tends to affect F2P games more often, since F2P games have a greater imperative to make money. P2P games have already gotten their money, either through the first-time purchase of the game or via subscription, so there is less of an imperative to do such things.

Of course, I am generalising a bit as the issues are far more complex. Just curious, what game was it that was on the news recently?

2,175 posts
13,489 battles

Well maybe if it meant I wasn't paired with teams that mean you pay to lose. Kinda like it is now.

I mean why pay to get insulted & given bad karma by people who mostly lose?

Edited by keskparane

1,114 posts
2 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

what game was it that was on the news recently

star wars battlefront 2 loot creates, and Call of duty 'future' match making that tie with micro-transaction

--------------------------------------

so... does MM able to monitor your behavior??? yes it can...

need some tin-foil hat!!

Edited by PGM991

1,277 posts
8,576 battles

Holy that was some disturbing news.

The one about the loot boxes and P2W is not unusual considering WoT (and to a lesser extent WoWs) are kinda like that already with Premium time, Premium consumables, etc.

But the one about rigged MM? Goodness. Stuff like that really makes me appreciate single-player games.

To be frank I never liked the idea of micro-transactions in multiplayer games. They should either be cosmetic only or not affect in-game performance (eg. allowing you to grind faster).

165 posts
2,016 battles
4 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

The one about the loot boxes and P2W is not unusual considering WoT (and to a lesser extent WoWs) are kinda like that already with Premium time, Premium consumables, etc.

But the one about rigged MM? Goodness. Stuff like that really makes me appreciate single-player games.

To be frank I never liked the idea of micro-transactions in multiplayer games. They should either be cosmetic only or not affect in-game performance (eg. allowing you to grind faster).

that's why we call him lord gaben

64 posts
3,175 battles

6 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

The P2W factor in WoWS is no less than WoT, if you were to ask me it's greater.

1,277 posts
8,576 battles
8 hours ago, phutev said:

The P2W factor in WoWS is no less than WoT, if you were to ask me it's greater.

Personally, I think it is lot greater in WoT when you take into account things like gold ammo, crew training (50% vs 100% crews) and crew skills (eg Sixth Sense vs no Six Sense) etc, but to each his own.

11 hours ago, ari_aji said:

that's why we call him lord gaben

Still needs to make Half-Life 3 though. :Smile_teethhappy:

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,081 battles
40 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

Personally, I think it is lot greater in WoT when you take into account things like gold ammo, crew training (50% vs 100% crews) and crew skills (eg Sixth Sense vs no Six Sense) etc, but to each his own.

Still needs to make Half-Life 3 though. :Smile_teethhappy:

We have crew skills too

1,277 posts
8,576 battles
1 hour ago, FishyPower said:

We have crew skills too

Of course we do.

But apart from a few skills like Air Supremacy for CVs or Concealment Expert for most DDs, in my opinion most of them aren't as game changing as say Sixth Sense.

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,081 battles
21 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

Of course we do.

But apart from a few skills like Air Supremacy for CVs or Concealment Expert for most DDs, in my opinion most of them aren't as game changing as say Sixth Sense.

6th sense can be some what negated with good situational awareness and good positioning, Air Supremacy and Concealment Expert provide a definite advantage.

1,277 posts
8,576 battles
14 minutes ago, FishyPower said:

6th sense can be some what negated with good situational awareness and good positioning, Air Supremacy and Concealment Expert provide a definite advantage.

More than that though, 6th sense can be used to scout. Poke out over a ridge or corner and see if you are lit up or not. I do that all the time. You can use it to estimate the rough position of the enemy in the same way you would use the detected indicator in WoWs.

Plus if you are a camping bush, you will know if your position is compromised.

There is a reason why everybody takes 6th Sense as their first skill on their commander in WoT, and why WoWs gave everybody the Situational Awareness skill for free (gotta respect them for that). Even AW did the same. It is such a good skill. The same reason why I don't like AS or CE, but am forced to take it anyway. If it were up to me, I would replace those skills with something else.

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,081 battles
1 hour ago, Thyaliad said:

More than that though, 6th sense can be used to scout. Poke out over a ridge or corner and see if you are lit up or not. I do that all the time. You can use it to estimate the rough position of the enemy in the same way you would use the detected indicator in WoWs.

Plus if you are a camping bush, you will know if your position is compromised.

There is a reason why everybody takes 6th Sense as their first skill on their commander in WoT, and why WoWs gave everybody the Situational Awareness skill for free (gotta respect them for that). Even AW did the same. It is such a good skill. The same reason why I don't like AS or CE, but am forced to take it anyway. If it were up to me, I would replace those skills with something else.

True that