You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
S4pp3R

CB and WG Asia's huge mistake

97 comments in this topic

[151ST]
1,027 posts
4,691 battles

https://worldofwarships.asia/en/news/announcements/clan-battle-s1/

CB times and details have been released.

Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday

2000-2300 UTC+8...

So firstly, very narrow time, ok.

No Friday night though? I don't know about you guys but that's when we get the most amount of people online.

The absolute pearler for me is the time...

About 3/4 of Australia's population lies in New South Wales and Victoria. Include Queensland/Tasmania and it's 90% of Australia's population.

In summer we have Daylight savings (+1 hour). As standard NSW, VIC and QLD are +10...

So the CB will be running 11pm to 2am for 3/4 of Australias population and for the next biggest chunk it's 10pm-1am...

I can only imagine how it must be for anyone else in similar time zones,  New Zealand, Japan, Korea?

My clan is pretty active however we all have RL commitments, outside of Friday/Saturday nights our most active time during the week is between 1900-2200. (Noting that personally it's 1730-1930 but I'm not writing this for me).

And that will stand up for most Aussie/Kiwi clans as well.

Serious what were you thinking WG??? I'm absolutely flabbergasted!

Suggestion:

Extend the time by 4 hours earlier to account for the wide range of timezones in the Asia region. At the moment you have basically excluded 95+% of Oceanic clans.

On top of that add Friday nights in as well, I don't know how it is in most other countries but Friday nights is pretty much gaming night here.

I can't believe I managed to finish that without using expletives - are you proud of me mods? Trust me I am swearing my chin off in RL.

[1NATN]
[1NATN]
447 posts
15,459 battles

Yep, it's a big "[content removed]" to Aussies.

I doubt we'll be able to have more than 1 or 2 matches before people have to start dropping off, especially on week nights.

Profanity. Post edited, user sanctioned.

~amade

Edited by amade

25 posts
8,479 battles

I'm not even sure I'd be able to get a game in during the week or on a Sunday. I'm normally in bed by 2300 as I have to be up for work the next morning at 0600.

This time allocation caters only to the Singapore and Thailand markets and completely excludes the rest of Asia effectively. New Zealand are in a worse position than Eastern Australia (add 2 hours), so their time slot doesn't open until 0100. Then places like Japan and Korea open at 2200. These times are just too late for the bulk of the Asia market. 

Asia covers at least 6-7 time zones, and allowances should be made to accommodate everyone, not just one small cross-section of the market.

Seriously WG, do you want people to play CBs or not? First you exclude CVs from the game, so there's one section of the community alienated, you limit it to 1 BB per side, so there's another section up in arms, and now you come up with this ridiculous (and limited) time slot which does not accommodate the bulk of your market!

I wouldn't expect any rave reviews of CBs after the first season, especially if the bulk of the population can't play it due to Real Life commitments. You have to remember to ow that the average age of gamers is low to mid 30s (male and female) who have families and jobs, not a teenage boy with boundless energy who can play anytime they like.

Beta Tester
21 posts
3,481 battles

I'm just at a loss to understand their decision-making processes at the moment with Clan Battles and clans in general.

Insufficient clan sizes, limiting or excluding ship types from accessing content, and to put icing on this infuriating cake.. a small window of game play availablity for a region that spans the largest global area.

Cake... Now I'm hungry and mad.

[_AUS_]
Beta Tester
74 posts
8,855 battles

Why are Clan battles only available for such a limited period each day?

I live in UTC +8.00 time zone so in theory 2000-2300 is ok but, being a shift worker and having a family means I'm more likely to be playing almost any other time of day than during that period.

For some of my fellow clan members in areas with daylight saving in place, the clan battles will start at 22:00 to 23:00 each night.

A variety of time periods would be more likely to get more players involved.

I guess the ability to rent tier X ships and the limited time period for clan battles means that Wargaming Asia isn't confident of the success of clan battles.

Maybe 5 player divisions at tier VIII would have been a more realistic goal.

590 posts
2,995 battles

Hello People :) *puts my player hat on*

Before we loose our collective minds, I've sent some messages to those who can actually answer them as to what the plan is for the Aussie time zone. 

I've also attached this thread to those messages and the home page notification, so being that it's super early where they are and it's not that much better for those of us in SA / WA. I would recommend we don't go all pitchfork and burn them all down just yet :P 

*puts my Mod hat on*

In all seriousness, lets keep the conversation civil please!

[HMASW]
1,558 posts

Well, this is no good for me, I am in Victoria, Australia, & I play at internet cafe, so the shop kicks everyone out at 11pm, so the staff can go to bed & sleep.... So it will cut me out completely.... 

No Friday nights???

also being tier 10.... I don't like the higher tier matches, I find more thrills in lower tiers such as 4-8, & I have by choice not gone to t10..

I see & fight enough of them in my t 8 & 9 ships anyway....

So I guess I'll just go seal clubbing while all the elite players go goggle eyed in the wee hours

:Smile_sad:

Ordrazz

Edited by Ordrazz

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,325 battles

As an SG player in an Aussie WOT clan, the timezones given simply won't work for them. I heard WOT is getting an Aussie/NZ server, so maybe WOWS is planning something similar, though I think they'll still have a problem with the server size.

25 posts
8,479 battles

Not sure there's a big enough player base to have a dedicated Aus/NZ server alone. Maybe an Eastern Asia server (Australia, NZ, Japan, Korea and the western Pacific nations (pseudo Oceanic) Put the server in Sydney on a trial basis and see how it runs perhaps? Then the rest of Asia be on the same server as they are now. Again, I don't think there's the player base for it, but might be worth looking into as a possibility for the future. Then everyone can be accommodated according to their timezone for things like this. 

2,255 posts
13,977 battles
13 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

didnt this also happen back in team battles?

me whenever i see aussies and newzelanders getting shafted, again

59e5518cd4c71_HeyManYouSeeThatGuyOverThere17102017074006.thumb.jpg.ffb99c3994f04eb5d538c76431517f3e.jpg

lol, you know there's a difference between austria and australia right? 

[_AUS_]
Beta Tester
74 posts
8,855 battles
16 minutes ago, keskparane said:

lol, you know there's a difference between austria and australia right? 

Hence the scowling face in the cartoon!

[LBAS]
4,593 posts
26,039 battles

after lots of mistake of them I think this is not unbelievable any more >> this is unacceptable from WG ASIA >> how and why such a International company make series of mistake month by month :etc_swear:

1,386 posts
8,358 battles

I am in a "favorable" time zone for this, UTC +8. But I still dislike this idea, it is an attempt to gather enough people to play at the same time from a limited player base. But if interferes with players’ real life, and the time available is not reasonable. Why isn’t the whole day available for weekends? Did WG consider night shift people? And for those who work the regular 8 hour/day, they can start playing at 7PM after a quick dinner, why limit it to 8PM? And this is just for UTC +8.

WG should really learn their lessons from the past. When they were planning ranked season 6, they made the same time limit, but is available 8-11PM every day of the week. The result? Major community outcry. Draw from the past experience and learn what is okay and what is not WG.

EDIT: NA has similar restrictions. So I guess this time it’s WG devs decision not ASIA marketing. This, IMO, demonstrates the failure of communications between the devs and the marketing.

Edited by HMS_Swiftsure_08

[151ST]
1,027 posts
4,691 battles
16 minutes ago, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

I am in a "favorable" time zone for this, UTC +8. But I still dislike this idea, it is an attempt to gather enough people to play at the same time from a limited player base. But if interferes with players’ real life, and the time available is not reasonable. Why isn’t the whole day available for weekends? Did WG consider night shift people? And for those who work the regular 8 hour/day, they can start playing at 7PM after a quick dinner, why limit it to 8PM? And this is just for UTC +8.

WG should really learn their lessons from the past. When they were planning ranked season 6, they made the same time limit, but is available 8-11PM every day of the week. The result? Major community outcry. Draw from the past experience and learn what is okay and what is not WG.

I don't understand how they keep making these sorts of mistakes, everytime.

I'm starting to think there isn't a single person with any foresight or an empathic gene in their body at WG...

2 minutes ago, LtDan_IceCream said:

Well I guess no clan battles for me then.

I'll just be an oil collector for the clan.

"Three barrels coming right up"..........

You could have been a much more efficient oil collecter if they did CB right...

1,386 posts
8,358 battles
Just now, S4pp3R said:

I don't understand how they keep making these sorts of mistakes, everytime.

I'm starting to think there isn't a single person with any foresight or an empathic gene in their body at WG...

You could have been a much more efficient oil collecter if they did CB right...

Last time Asia did this, it was their decision, but that led to a community outcry and they didn’t try it again in ranked season 7. The clan battle limit is probably not Asia’s decision. Asia marketing does do stupid things from time to time but they do improve based on player feedback. Remember how they immediately buffed the anniversary event, expanded the premium shop soon and gave us a lot more 1/35 freeXPexchange and in-game consumable&camo giveaway missions? This time IMO it’s either Asia failed to deliever their experience with this or their feedback wasn’t affecting devs decision.

[151ST]
1,027 posts
4,691 battles
6 minutes ago, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

Last time Asia did this, it was their decision, but that led to a community outcry and they didn’t try it again in ranked season 7. The clan battle limit is probably not Asia’s decision. Asia marketing does do stupid things from time to time but they do improve based on player feedback. Remember how they immediately buffed the anniversary event, expanded the premium shop soon and gave us a lot more 1/35 freeXPexchange and in-game consumable&camo giveaway missions? This time IMO it’s either Asia failed to deliever their experience with this or their feedback wasn’t affecting devs decision.

True...

I really hope that they fix this in time, my clan is so pumped for CB despite our issues with small clan sizes, etc.

From 1800 AEST onwards would be ideal IMO (that's 2000 in NZ).

I would definitely hope that Friday night is included as well!

[LBAS]
4,593 posts
26,039 battles
54 minutes ago, LtDan_IceCream said:

Well I guess no clan battles for me then.

I'll just be an oil collector for the clan.

"Three barrels coming right up"..........

u have TX u can join as well

69 posts
3,881 battles

I think WG has decided the time period based on Taiwan, Japan, Korea, Singapore, Vietnam and such countries. If this time period is applied then the mentioned countries will be able to participate from about 6 p.m to 12 p.m depending on the time zone. But I don't get why they would apply such a narrow time period for clan battles. It's not like WoT Cland Battles where you have to defend territories.

[151ST]
1,027 posts
4,691 battles
2 minutes ago, HMS_Audacious said:

I think WG has decided the time period based on Taiwan, Japan, Korea, Singapore, Vietnam and such countries. If this time period is applied then the mentioned countries will be able to participate from about 6 p.m to 12 p.m depending on the time zone. But I don't get why they would apply such a narrow time period for clan battles. It's not like WoT Cland Battles where you have to defend territories.

That isn't Clan battles, that's Clan Wars...

Clan battles is more in line with WoT skirmishes...

Which we used to be able to set up from like 7pm ish... (AEST).