You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
JarofVegemite

Tier IV Destroyer Face-off

Which DD is the Bestest?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best?

• Clemson
    • Isokaze
    • Izyaslav
    • V-170

18 comments in this topic

28 posts
2,972 battles

Flamu put a vid up the other day in which he descried the Clemson as being severely OP, and the seal clubbers tier 4 dd of choice.....which kinda surprised me, as I've never really felt the Clemson was necessarily all that much better than any other option at that tier. Looking at win ratings, its a little ways behind the V-170.

So I thought I'd see what other people think is the premier tier 4 DD. I use all four quite a bit, have at least skill 10 captains in all, and personally think the V-170 is the most adaptable, with a redonkulous potential concealment (5.5 kms), good torps with a unique spread, and decent guns. But my favorite is the Izyaslav, with its great range, good guns and three torp salvos. The only one that I can't get along with is the Isokaze, but that's just me.

Appreciate that the Clemson would scale very well, and so with a skill 19 captain would roflstomp most opponents, but given a base skill 10 captain, which do people think is the best DD at the tier?

173 posts
5,332 battles

Clemson is good but for me Izyaslav is also good and a bit underrated. With DE and AFT, you become a T4 Khab that burns everyone in its range. For my playstyle, it's the Izyaslav that's better, but I have both in my port.

783 posts
4,730 battles

Clemson simply because it's a jack of all trades. Could do gunnery well, and anyone who knows how to abuse the torpedoes on it make for one of the worst DDs to face when you worry about getting hit by torps in a BB. So to anyone who has a playstyle of using just about everything a DD has, Clemson simply fits the bill as your go-to T4 DD clubber, with great smoke, decent numerous torps, and good guns.

Izlayslav as said has good guns for staying at range and simply peppering the enemy with fires. Maneuverable and small enough to juke a lot of shots at the tier, with suicidal only torpedoes. The problem with her though is if when you're faced with other DDs in a flank, the usual approach is to avoid knife fighting due to the traverse being bad. That said, a sustained, cautious playstyle benefits her the most.

V-170 is the best torp boat at the tier, eclipsing Isokaze due to the nerf she got. German torps may be low damage, but the good reload, reliable speed and detection time make for a good torping platform. The guns are decent, in a way that at least you aren't beaten out by your IJN counterpart, with comparably great concealment.

Isokaze was kind of in line with Clemson until her torps (and partly her guns) got nerfed. Now, one of the only advantages she still retains is that she has 3 launchers, making torping flexible. Great concealment to pair off with that makes an Isokaze stalking a pushing flank more dangerous than any of the other three. The guns being lackluster and the slow-ish speed takes some time to get used to.

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

Hands down Clemson for me. The Clemson at tier IV and V is the DD deterrent. Great for hit and runs on higher tier DDs and punishing same or lower tier DDs. AP is good enough to citadel RNCLs under 6km, and what you can't damage with AP just spam HE. Only downside are its torps, but you get used to them after a while.

Isokaze is good for stealth, and I do know friends who regard it as one of the best low tier clubbing ships. Play it like any other JPDD, or you can play like a madman with CE. Great for carrying in games with few enemy DDs (and no CV). Not my cup of tea but... some people like it.

Izyaslav is the best for pure gunnery in my opinion. Small, nimble and great for peppering enemies with HE from range. Just don't get too close because your guns can't keep up as well as the other nation's guns can. Personally prefer the Clemson over the Izyaslav because, well, more guns.

The V-170 is also not a bad choice, kinda like an intermediate between Isokaze and Clemson. You get a little of the best of both worlds so you can be quite flexible in your role in the game, but then again as the saying goes, jack of all trades master of none. You can't have it all. Still, a solid pick.

I'd say at tier IV there's really no "bad" DD. They are all fairly decent so give them all a try and see which one you fancy!

Super Tester
7,372 posts
7,883 battles

There's a reason why I kept a 19 pt captain on Clemson. Also, in my last tier 5 match, our Clemson clubbed enemy Gremy. There is nothing (apart from Izzy with proper captain build) at t4 that can outgun Clemson. Also the ability to torp on both sides is super deadly. You pick Clemson, you fight off enemy DDs, then you keep yoloing BBs till you die. The best t4 smoke also helps a lot.

After that, I'd call V170 the second best. Has decent concealment, can span torpedoes to some extent and has workable guns. Good hybrid.

Izzy and Isokaze are not for new players at all. You need a lot of max range gunnery discipline (Izzy) and a lot of playing around concealment range (Isokaze).

520 posts
11,094 battles

Clemson.. yes... If you are havin a bad day with tier 7 - 10..... Clemson is like warm coffee on a cold day.
- comforting, relaxing and reassuring in the right hands that you know you are in a very reliable and capable boat:)

It will train you to do well in upper tiers.... But, another reason why it seems to do well... is because most enemies in lower tiers, dont really know how to counter DDS that well, specially BB drivers in tier 3 - 5:)

So it just a plain Jane fun ship to play.

V170 is also good.. but the reason it has better stats, because its a much newer ship compared to clemson, thus rather smaller sample size.  And many already know how to DD when they use the V170.

151 posts
3,309 battles

Clemson is my #1 T4 DD at the moment. 

Isokaze used to be #1 until it caught the nerf hammer square in the face. From memory they decreased the guns fire chance & slowed the torps. Effectively killed that ships usefulness. Even when playing another ship against an Isokaze you used to respected it. It no longer commands that level of respect. 

25 posts
4,941 battles

So it's just me that has problems in the Clemson? I love the 'idea' of the ship but I get absolutely no joy in her at all. Now granted, I by no means the best player in the game or even what most would consider a good player in the game. But even a bad player should have at least one good match in a Clemson by this OP right? I just can't get a good game at all. I'll keep trying though haha

28 posts
2,972 battles
14 hours ago, SZYZWY said:

Izlayslav as said has good guns for staying at range and simply peppering the enemy with fires. Maneuverable and small enough to juke a lot of shots at the tier, with suicidal only torpedoes. The problem with her though is if when you're faced with other DDs in a flank, the usual approach is to avoid knife fighting due to the traverse being bad. That said, a sustained, cautious playstyle benefits her the most.

I think the Izyaslav torps are massively underrated. They have 5km range, which is better than the next two tiers of Soviet DD's, and better still; three launchers. Most opponents only expect two salvoes, so if you keep one in reserve you can often catch enemies rushing your smoke completely off guard. 

Plus in close range knife fights, you usually have a good idea where any potential threat is going to come from. A Clemson that blunders into an Izyaslav that has all of its guns pointed at it is not going to come out on top very often in my experience. Obvs if you get caught out yourself, your best bet is to run and hide, but with a potential 5.8km concealment, that's not too difficult. 

Tbh, I'd argue the Izyaslav is one of the most underappreciated ships in the game. 

[MEGA]
4,540 posts
17,244 battles
39 minutes ago, JarofVegemite said:

I think the Izyaslav torps are massively underrated. They have 5km range, which is better than the next two tiers of Soviet DD's, and better still; three launchers. Most opponents only expect two salvoes, so if you keep one in reserve you can often catch enemies rushing your smoke completely off guard. 

Plus in close range knife fights, you usually have a good idea where any potential threat is going to come from. A Clemson that blunders into an Izyaslav that has all of its guns pointed at it is not going to come out on top very often in my experience. Obvs if you get caught out yourself, your best bet is to run and hide, but with a potential 5.8km concealment, that's not too difficult. 

Tbh, I'd argue the Izyaslav is one of the most underappreciated ships in the game. 

nah, that'd be the V-150

783 posts
4,730 battles
1 hour ago, JarofVegemite said:

The problem with that sadly is that Izlayslav isn't exactly a DD you want engaging in gunfights, especially against other DDs.
Expecting your torps to hit them is more of the enemy's blunder, as a DD 'should' almost always have the maneuverability to dodge oncoming torps unless it's suicide ranges, in which, All the other T4 DDs (Clemson/Isokaze/V-170) are good at due to their torps having good angles, high alpha, good detection respectively.
It's mainly underappreciated thanks to the guns being of a lower than usual caliber, otherwise, it's a solid T4 DD for most occasions.

28 posts
2,972 battles
36 minutes ago, SZYZWY said:

The problem with that sadly is that Izlayslav isn't exactly a DD you want engaging in gunfights, especially against other DDs.
Expecting your torps to hit them is more of the enemy's blunder, as a DD 'should' almost always have the maneuverability to dodge oncoming torps unless it's suicide ranges, in which, All the other T4 DDs (Clemson/Isokaze/V-170) are good at due to their torps having good angles, high alpha, good detection respectively.
It's mainly underappreciated thanks to the guns being of a lower than usual caliber, otherwise, it's a solid T4 DD for most occasions.

Not firing torps at DDs, but rather BBs and Cruisers that push your smoke. If they see two salvoes go past, they almost always turn expecting that to be it, and then you send a third their way :cap_haloween:

Against DDs I usually kite

2,172 posts
13,414 battles

I voted Izy. Sure USN DD are good, but for me only after a lengthy acclimatization getting used to the arc. I would rather jump into a straight shooting Izy and instantly feel at home and ready to punish.

671 posts
1,508 battles

My personal favorite is Izzy, I find her playstyle fitting of me. But hands down Clemson. There's a reason why she's called the seal clubbers go-to-boat. She's very very good