You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Mister_Teatime

Questions about cv mission and strafing

3 comments in this topic

151 posts
10,466 battles

I have one mission left in the Science of Victory campaign: "Destroy 5 enemy ships with aerial bombs or aerial torpedos". Tier V-X CV, in random battles. 

I hardly ever play CV (and when I do, it's 99% in co-op), but I bought a strike Ryujo specifically for this (I unlocked in ages ago when I used to dabble with CVs more), took her out just now in a random battle and sunk two enemy ships (despite facing an AS independence, who got a clear sky). Neither counted towards the mission. What am i missing? 

Both ships I destroyed flooded to death after I torped them - does that mean they were "destroyed by flooding" rather than "destroyed by torpedo"? That seems a bit harsh . . . 

Also - while I'm here; I have a question about strafing. The Independence had his fighters grouped together. Three times I strafed his two fighters with my single one. I didn't shoot down a single fighter, despite his fighters being inside the box each time (or so it looked to me). The third time I only had two planes left. Was I outnumbered? How exactly does the mechanic work? Can a single plane strafe and destroy a whole group?

[LNA]
1,696 posts
10,543 battles
1 hour ago, Mister_Teatime said:

I have one mission left in the Science of Victory campaign: "Destroy 5 enemy ships with aerial bombs or aerial torpedos". Tier V-X CV, in random battles. 

I hardly ever play CV (and when I do, it's 99% in co-op), but I bought a strike Ryujo specifically for this (I unlocked in ages ago when I used to dabble with CVs more), took her out just now in a random battle and sunk two enemy ships (despite facing an AS independence, who got a clear sky). Neither counted towards the mission. What am i missing? 

Both ships I destroyed flooded to death after I torped them - does that mean they were "destroyed by flooding" rather than "destroyed by torpedo"? That seems a bit harsh . . . 

Also - while I'm here; I have a question about strafing. The Independence had his fighters grouped together. Three times I strafed his two fighters with my single one. I didn't shoot down a single fighter, despite his fighters being inside the box each time (or so it looked to me). The third time I only had two planes left. Was I outnumbered? How exactly does the mechanic work? Can a single plane strafe and destroy a whole group?

Ah the ever famous strength in number mechanics by WG tm.

the 5 kill mission is easy , look for cruisers and smash them , 2x4 is guaranteed death to any tier 5 cruisers and some tier 6. If you like it the easy way , killsteal with your squads, CV are very good at picking off near death enemies. Its not harsh really , you just have to be careful about picking targets if you are not good at manual aiming.

Ryujo 1 fighter only job is to hunt enemy strikes and bait enemy FT , it is pathetically weak in a 1 v1. It will win Inde 2v1 though.

Strafe apply a huge number of DPS over a small area in front of the strafe that is ever moving forward. If you want strafe to obliberate planes , the targets has to be in that small area as you move forward. In other words , you have to come at him from behind and strafe as he move forward to kill his squad. Yes your squad can kill him in 1 strafe , but he has to be moving as you move along the course of the strafe and spend most of his time in that DPS area.

Long story short : Your 5 or 4 plane squad does not offer enough DPS in a strafe due to numbers , unless you can make him be inside the strafe line for sometime , it will kill nothing , use it on strike crafts mostly.

Single plane strafe will not kill whole squad ( tried it , atmost 1 kill)

Some tips for you :

Dont open a fight with a strafe , counterstrafe and bait him away from your preys. Thats your FT job. IJN FT are ill suited to strafes happily due to ammo count , make sure you count every strafe. Your FT are faster than him , pull him to do some silly things and strafe at thin air.

If your FT isnt enough , dump a DB squad loads into the sea and use it as a bait to occupy Inde FT , you can sacrifice that squad to kill inde FT in a strafe. Inde doesnt quite have the reserves to replace heavy losses so the trade is justified

151 posts
10,466 battles
4 hours ago, legionary2099 said:

Ah the ever famous strength in number mechanics by WG tm.

the 5 kill mission is easy , look for cruisers and smash them , 2x4 is guaranteed death to any tier 5 cruisers and some tier 6. If you like it the easy way , killsteal with your squads, CV are very good at picking off near death enemies. Its not harsh really , you just have to be careful about picking targets if you are not good at manual aiming.

Ryujo 1 fighter only job is to hunt enemy strikes and bait enemy FT , it is pathetically weak in a 1 v1. It will win Inde 2v1 though.

Strafe apply a huge number of DPS over a small area in front of the strafe that is ever moving forward. If you want strafe to obliberate planes , the targets has to be in that small area as you move forward. In other words , you have to come at him from behind and strafe as he move forward to kill his squad. Yes your squad can kill him in 1 strafe , but he has to be moving as you move along the course of the strafe and spend most of his time in that DPS area.

Long story short : Your 5 or 4 plane squad does not offer enough DPS in a strafe due to numbers , unless you can make him be inside the strafe line for sometime , it will kill nothing , use it on strike crafts mostly.

Single plane strafe will not kill whole squad ( tried it , atmost 1 kill)

Some tips for you :

Dont open a fight with a strafe , counterstrafe and bait him away from your preys. Thats your FT job. IJN FT are ill suited to strafes happily due to ammo count , make sure you count every strafe. Your FT are faster than him , pull him to do some silly things and strafe at thin air.

If your FT isnt enough , dump a DB squad loads into the sea and use it as a bait to occupy Inde FT , you can sacrifice that squad to kill inde FT in a strafe. Inde doesnt quite have the reserves to replace heavy losses so the trade is justified

Thanks for tips - will try.