You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HMS_Audacious

Who thinks crossing over the middle of the map is an actual tactic?

28 comments in this topic

69 posts
3,881 battles

I had a fight with a clanmate. Just a few weeks before, I was in a division with him, we were in our tier 8 ships. Him-Bismarck, me-atago, other guy-kutuzov. At the start of the battle, he said we should rush forward no matter what stands in our way. I thought this was a joke and just brought up the rear.

We reached cap A and he suddenly set his bow forward against a belfast, fiji, farragut and alabama and just straight up charged in. I didn't really notice this at first cuz no one(at least by my standards) was dumb enough to charge in alone against multiple RN CLs backed up by a DD and a BB. 

So me and my mate in Kutuzov did our stuff. He smoked up, I did the usual 'kite and set ablaze' thing in my atago. But even before the smoke of the kutuzov ran out, we saw this guy sink to mutiple torpedoes and armor piercing barrage.

Well it would have been the usual, 'a dumbass game' if he hadn't started ranting at us fro not coming in with him.

I was at an absolute loss at words at such actions and I tried to reason with him and pointed out that he never should have rushed froward and should have kept with us.(BTW he ended up at the bottom end of the team in exp).

Then he started calling us cowards and a back end sniping noob. I just left it pass and had another game with him.

In the next game I was in my Z-52, he was in an Iowa and my good friend in a Yamato.

As expected, he started charing in alone agaisnt a Zao, Yamato and a Khabarovsk. I didn't even botehr to save this guy and did my stuff in the other cap. Unfrotunately my frined had to watch him get front citadelled by a Yamato and sink to the depth.

Luckily my surviving friend managed to wipe out the rest of the enemies in that cap and traveld down towards me. He was faced with a Zao, Yamato and a Moskva. Of course I set some smoke screen to protect him from Zao.

But since the german smoke didn't last too long, he soon came under multiple fire. I really don't blame him for this cuz most of our team were dead at this point and he didn't have much choice but to face these guys.

Suddnly, this guy intervened and told to me fire my guns aginst a Zao. My distance with the Zao was about 11km and Yamato was 9km away. So I ignored him and tried my best to torp Yamato and eventually assisted the kill of my ally against the Yamato.

But after the battle, this guy suddenly started ranting agaisnt me for being a coward and not protecting the div mate.

I completely lost it at this point and said '[content removed] I'm out' and put an end to one of the worst divs I had in my life.

Then later, he tried to convince other clanmates that I am a coward and a sniping [content removed]. So I had a couple of fights and rants against him eventually I had to shut him up by cutting him off entirely.

But I couldn't believe that some people still believed that crossing over the middle of the map to just all-in charge agaisnt multiple enemies could work.

Well that's it for my rant and I want to know what you guys think.

Derogatory. Post edited, user sanctioned.

~amade

Edited by amade

69 posts
3,881 battles
1 minute ago, drakon233 said:

depends on the situation tho, against worthwhile targets it is a actual tatic, if not then it's a terminal case of "braindead"

Well, I really don't have any better word to describe my experience. :)

268 posts
6,381 battles

I've learnt that charging into smoke solo seldom leads to a good outcome.  Its not so much the ship in the smoke which is the issue, it's getting hammered by all his allies as your clanmate may or may not have learned.

[MEGA]
4,666 posts
17,929 battles
4 minutes ago, _Sammich_ said:

I've learnt that charging into smoke solo seldom leads to a good outcome.  Its not so much the ship in the smoke which is the issue, it's getting hammered by all his allies as your clanmate may or may not have learned.

it all depends on what ship you arev using and if you are spotted,  the ship in smoke, the position of his teammates and the ship composition, if you can trade off a worthwhile target then by all means do it

(i actually do this all the time in my T10s cuz i need the keks and  lol 0 end game content, but at least i make it work)

Edited by drakon233

69 posts
3,881 battles
5 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

it all depends on what ship you arev using and if you are spotted,  the ship in smoke, the position of his teammates and the ship composition, if you can trade off a worthwhile target then by all means do it

(i actually do this all the time in my T10s cuz i need the keks and  lol 0 end game content, but at least i make it work)

which is kind of why Z-52 is so powerful in a dd fight or aginst any ship with smoke screens

[MEGA]
4,666 posts
17,929 battles
3 minutes ago, HMS_Audacious said:

which is kind of why Z-52 is so powerful in a dd fight or aginst any ship with smoke screens

nah, z52 lives in a enviroment where radars run rampent and BBs scrap you as soon as you enter a radar defended map, loyang on the other hand...

69 posts
3,881 battles
Just now, drakon233 said:

nah, z52 lives in a enviroment where radars run rampent and BBs scrap you as soon as you enter a radar defended map, loyang on the other hand...

lol, indeed Z-52 has a fat ass that can be normal penned any time by a balanced BB AP

461 posts
8,518 battles

Setting aside the game play aspect I'd normally say you ought to block and report someone who behaved in that manner, but being a clan mate that's another kettle of fish. I'd say it's probably best to not division with this guy at all, but you can hardly avoid seeing them in clan chat. If you have the replays keep them around for a while as evidence of what happened in game and how they behaved in game chat just in case it becomes an issue in your clan. Tbh they sound pretty dang stupid and made some serious blunders.

Someone I know got bullied in their old clan by people stat shaming and questioning his play style literally all the time. The irony being the bullies hid their stats and were probably no good themselves. He was eventually booted as the bullies were further up the chain of command, but luckily for him not being around those butt wipes has made playing the game more enjoyable again. Myself I'd rather play alone than be in a clan where bad behaviour like that is tolerated, luckily I haven't had any issue. Consider finding another clan if problems continue.

Charging in against multiple enemies is rarely a good idea, especially in the middle of the map where most of the enemies can shoot you. If you can take multiple enemies down with you it might be worth it, but truthfully that's not something that can be done often, generally focus fire will get you sunk before you do anything useful.

265 posts
4,731 battles

Is he trying something new? Like doing an experiment on how many times will the division die when charge into the enemy. Or he is having a bad day and just want to #yolo that day? Perhaps he should have convinced you that he wanted to do that experiment.

1,079 posts
3,888 battles

OP,had that occur early last year on the NA server.One night had a player in T5 across several matches who would just yolo into the enemy in a cruiser,die then spend the rest of the match whinging at the team.

Last match I seen them in they started congratulating the red team for killing greens,so we just hammered him in chat for being a moron ( I think a few others had been MM with him as well that night).He shut up after that.

Also seen them on the NA forum doing the same sort of thing.You can't fix stupid!

As drakon233 said you only do it if its a favourable situation to you,or if its a case of keeping the red team distracted on one side of the map while the rest of your team does its thing to win the match.

2,249 posts
13,967 battles

I don't really think the post has much to do with the title. Sounds like he's pushing too hard.

As far as the title is concerned then there is no reason you should ever restrict yourself on the map simply based on a perceived halfway line.

1,138 posts

if you not stealthy enough, going middle right away are prone to attack from both side.

you may cut enemy fleet in half but got attack from both side is bad.

unless there solid cover at middle, you can use is to cover one side while able to take control of center.

and IMO, Yolo people have their own usefulness, by distract enemy attention and help your team get into position faster than enemy.

Spoiler

there's match that me (DD) and other DD have a juicy choice.

twin brother map

we're on right flank D cap is open for capture, but enemy CV also come into sight

I'm a farragut, move up a bit and I'll get into gun range to shoot that CV, oh~~~~~~~

but capture D is also rewarding in teamplay

so... I abandon CV and go for cap, while other DD go for CV

now there's interesting part.

he go for CV but got spot, obviously enemy CV plane will keep him spot and enemy CA gang up on him, all enemy attention focus on him 'yoloing'

that allow me to cap freely and my team can move up to support and defend 

if we both play objective by go for cap, enemy CV surely will send plane to spot us and enemy CA will shoot at us, make it nearly impossible to cap. (smoke? nope, their CA has radar)

because he yolo and steal enemy attention, I was able to cap and smoke for team that advance to maintain cap and support.

we win the match and I came out on top

Yolo-er may not made himself useful, 'WE' have to make use of him. :D

Edited by PGM991

Beta Tester
213 posts
4,131 battles

Well, imo it actually a tactic depend on situation, Charging straight in to multi-enemy alone is suicide,

But 5+ ship with smoke and CV cover will make it work, the more of ship charging, the more effective, especially when again random enemy while you can share dmg and focus fire the enemy ship. But you need a decent level of co-op for this tactic and enemy reaction .

I hear something like that kinda popular in  Russia server due they like yolo in close range combat with heavy battleship :Smile_bajan2:

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

if everyone in your team has good angling and shoots well and everyone charges in, it works. I've done it before (somehow the team cooperated lul) and we dominated the enemy team. Generally people are too scared to do it so it doesn't work

1,004 posts
11,880 battles

war of words with your own clanmate is very bad for a start

pushing or going forward is a thin fine line between charging in get sunked didnt contribute anything or charge in and make a impact

as for now you got your side of story so probably he does too, not for me to judge any of you

1,390 posts
9,089 battles

Thread title is a bit misleading. I thought this was about going to A when you had spawned at C.

Well your teammate did make his intentions known that he was going to push, so from his viewpoint it kinda looked like you bailed out on him.

Imo you should have told him when he said he was going to push that it was a bad idea. If he still insists on pushing alone and dying, then that's his problem. He was already warned.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

it depends on the map, really...

except Ocean, that is cursed map

Edited by Harpoon01

64 posts
3,175 battles

Thought this was going to be about two brothers.

But as for yoloing, it has its possibilities, but without sufficient information it is no more than a gamble.

It is not a kind of game that I like to play, but some others spend hours at a time paying to push a button on a random number generator for entertainment.

[MEGA]
4,666 posts
17,929 battles
On 10/12/2017 at 0:40 AM, Harpoon01 said:

it depends on the map, really...

except Ocean, that is cursed map

tears of rhe desert, shatter, warrriors path

3 most famous(read, infamous) maps to die in mid

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles
3 hours ago, drakon233 said:

tears of rhe desert, shatter, warrriors path

3 most famous(read, infamous) maps to die in mid

no

that is more of "Mortal Kombat" arena

520 posts
11,132 battles

Lol.. its very easy to be brave, if you have nothing to loose.  For me... clicking behind a keyboard and mouse, bravery and cowardice are not relevant... because what do you have to loose or gain? :)

Now.... Stupidity, on the other hand...... is something i find relevant to PC games:)