Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Shankeyyy

BB or CA

9 comments in this topic

148 posts
557 battles

Should I go for BB line or CA line of the HMS? Which is more worthy of the hard work I am going to do? (I personally like the King George V. She is pretty)

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,907 posts
4,190 battles

Both lines play differently to their counterparts of other nations.   BBS work well with HE on. Armour and AP on light ships. They are slow to manoeuvre and traverse their guns to shoot but have great repair parties.  All the ships are good and some and very good for their tiers   The CL line eat citadels, rely on the RN AP shells which are far better than any other nations, have smoke torps and repair.   A terrible line until you get to the Leander then they become bloody good ships if you can adapt to them   

Both require a different style of thinking and playstyle so youre better off trying them in the PT server rather than asking for a lot of opinions

9 posts

As a fairly new player if you go brit go bb between the two. That said Iron Duke and QE are a bit painful.

I'd recommend starting with USN's to learn (say t4 of each) until you have a grasp of the basics and switching.

Edit: to expand, the traverse on the two bb's mentioned is the among worst ingame, they take some good positioning or a lot of commander/module setup to do well with. The CL's cetreline gun placement and no access to he for pressure from fires can be frustrating at times right through the cl line.:cap_rambo:

Edited by Ralgon_1

461 posts
8,515 battles

If you're new I'd recommend giving a few lines and classes a go at least up til T4. If you have to choose between the two RN lines (BB or CL) the BB line will be more forgiving as the RN CLs are a bit squishy and don't start to get really good until T6 and up, they also require a very particular play style. The RN BBs have decent armour up til T5, still ok at T6, but not as good after that. They have slow turrets but reasonable accuracy for the most part. They use short fuse AP which is generally better against cruisers, but worse against BBs. They generally have better HE ammo, and a few are in need of adjustment because the HE is too good. I had no troubles up to HMS Queen Elizabeth.

KGV (King George V) specifically is a bit of a strange beast being simultaneously a bit OP and UP. She has HE ammo that frankly needs a bit of a nerf, however she relies on it because her AP isn't that great. This comes down to a few factors, her guns are a bit small (with lower penetration) and the over match mechanic. An AP Shell can over match armour that's thin enough and penetrate no matter the angle, KGV can be over matched on her bow and stern by a few T6 BBs and basically every T7 BB and up except Scharnhorst. Mean while her guns are too small to overmatch anything over T6 at all. Consequently her AP is only good against cruisers which she thoroughly wrecks and only occasionally useful fighting battleships. Against BBs she relies on HE ammo, and if the enemy BB takes the fire prevention/reduction skills her effectiveness is quite reduced. Her armour is ok for a T7, but she's a bit squishier compared to other ships of her tier.

I've not played Monarch or higher, but I've heard Monarch is a bit of a let down. On the other hand from what I've seen of conqueror, she's outright OP.

159 posts
3,388 battles

I've only reached T6 on both of those lines, but if you're undecided..

The BB's are good and easier to use than the CL's, but be sure to install the turret traverse upgrade plus expert marksman on your captain. This will mitigate a lot of the slow turret traverse that Orion, Iron Duke & Queen Elizabeth have. The trade off is it will take longer to reload... but only by 1 second. 

The CL's are a mixed bag up to T6. Caledon,and Danae are very maneuverable and the Emerald isn't as much. The Emerald is a hard grind as your damage will more often than not be quite low and you'll be in T7 games. Leander is a much better ship all around. Never sail straight lines and varying your speed do help. 

[MEGA]
4,654 posts
17,883 battles
4 hours ago, BunnyDragon said:

Go with BB line.

The Brits don't have have a CA line. Only CL.  You're new and the CL line is only for experienced players only. That's a warning that WG forgot to add. 

who the hell said the brittish dont have a CA line, tier for tier KVG and conqueror are hands down the best CAs in game

265 posts
4,718 battles

To view BB and CL/CA in another way:

BB as more forgiving since they have the repair party, game play in it is slower, except at special situation (DD coming in, dodging torps). You will have more time to understand the situation around you, where the enemy is, where you should go based on the current enemy location, how you should angle against enemy shell, how you should aim during that long 30s reload. Sometimes you can even walk of your desk for a quick snack.

CL/CA requires more attention because they don't have the repair party to regain some HP (only at high tiers and in British CL). Their armour can be penetrated by BB and CA(at correct conditions), so you need to keep WASD while returning fire, i.e. you need more coordination skill than BB. You can keep shooting and adjusting your aim based on your shells landing because you have a shorter reload than BB. But this can be a disadvantage because you need to constantly track and observe enemy and where your shell lands, reducing your time to observe the surrounding.

in summary: You want a (half) relax game play, get BB. You want to understand the game faster (steep learning curve), choose CL/CA. You want to challenge yourself (steeper learning curve), get DD. You want to get some salt (steepest learning curve), get CV.:Smile_teethhappy:

1,386 posts
8,323 battles

Both the RN BB and CL line need some experience on gameplay of another type of ship to work properly, make good contribution and bring your own victory. For the CL line you will also need some experience with DD gameplay, and for the BB line you will need to try CAs.

But I guess you are new to this game…

I would recommend a cruiser line other than the British as the first line to grind. Cruisers are fast, so they are less punishing than a BB when you made a bad positioning decision. Their speed allows you to learn how to analyze the situation and response to it adequately, and their high RoF and a gun oriented gameplay style allows you to build your gunnery skill. Low tier cruisers' high citadel position can be problematic, but try to WASD and angle to neglect that drawback.

If you are a RN fanboi (like me) and you do not want any line other than UK ships, go with the BB line. The RN CL line is very punishing mistakes you make be it a major decision making or management of consumables/angling/positioning/micromanagement, and is quite stressful to play. Also the line is only worth grinding if you are a real fanboi or you have a friend good at CV/DD to division with, solo gameplay is really not rewarding enough to justify how hard to play high tier RN CLs are. Leander and Fiji are good, and rather relaxing once you learnt the decision making for RN CL. T2-T5 RN CL are rather bad IMO, the dispersion simply does not meet with the precision demanding nature of AP, their AP penetration bad and they are paper. Also the line in general (other than Black Swan) have bad ballistics and shell speed, also being AP means only shells landing in the right position can do good damage, unlike HE cruisers that are less demanding on gunnery.

While the RN BB line demands some knowledge on both BB and CA positioning and flexible switch between shell types to have high WR, for newcomers just go HE and try AP on occasions can still provide rather good damage numbers, and no one’s gonna call you a noob for that.

Sign in to follow this