You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BunnyDragon

DD captain Mains may have a valid Complaint

74 comments in this topic

400 posts
3,932 battles

Hello Everyone,

I've had some extra time on my hands today, (really bad ping) so I decided to do some math on something that I've been hearing from some DD Captains about BB AP on their ships. 

I thought they were complaining that AP Overpens were more damaging than HE pens.  I have since learned that this is not the case, but that they are complaining of the pen/overpen mechanic that they are subject too. 

1) They show broadside, BB overpen and do 1k damage, CL/CA kill them in 1 or 2 salvos because broadside. Makes sense, you show broadside, you get punished. 

2) They angle to not die from CL/CA/DD, they get hammered from AP pen from BB.  Wait, this makes no darn sense.  Correct play gets you killed? (Maybe why people in T10 still don't angle cause they learned angling in DD?) 2 ways that you get hammered in the ship?  Not fair.

Now, why do BBs only shoot AP?  Bad/lazy play? Forgot what the 1 key is?  Or is it something in the game mechanics?

Ship    HE   AP     Pen HE   Overpen AP
Japan                  

Kawachi   5,100   8,100     1683   1012.5
Myogi   5,700   10,000     1881   1250
Ishizuchi   5,200   8,000     1716   1000
Kongo   5,700   10,200     1881   1275
Fuso   5,700   10,200     1881   1275
Mutsu   6,500   12,400     2145   1550
Nagato   6,500   12,600     2145   1575
Amagi   6,500   12,600     2145   1575
Kii   6,500   12,600     2145   1575
Izumo   6,500   12,900     2145   1612.5
Yamato   7,300   14,800     2409   1850

USA                  

South Carolina 4,100   8,100     1353   1012.5
Wyoming   4,200   8,300     1386   1037.5
Arkansas Beta 4,200   8,300     1386   1037.5
New York   5,000   10,300     1650   1287.5
Texas   5,000   10,300     1650   1287.5
New Mexico 5,000   10,500     1650   1312.5
Arizona   5,000   10,300     1650   1287.5
Colorado   5,700   12,400     1881   1550
North Carolina 5,700   13,100     1881   1637.5
Alabama   5,700   13,100     1881   1637.5
Iowa   5,700   13,500     1881   1687.5
Missouri   5,700   13,500     1881   1687.5
Montana   5,700   13,500     1881   1687.5

Germany                  

Nassau   3,200   7,200     1056   900
Konig Albert 3,400   8,300     1122   1037.5
Kaiser   3,500   8,400     1155   1050
Konig     3,500   8,400     1155   1050
Bayern   4,500   10,900     1485   1362.5
Gneisenau 4,400   11,600     1452   1450
Scharnhorst 3,200   7,600     1056   950
Tirpitz   4,400   11,600     1452   1450
Bismarck   4,400   11,600     1452   1450
Friedrich der Große 5,000   13,500     1650   1687.5
Großer Kurfürst 5,000   13,500     1650   1687.5

Russian                  

Imperator Nikolai I 4,500   8,600     1485   1075
Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya 4,500   8,600     1485   1075

UK                  

Bellerophon 5,200   8,100     1716   1012.5
Orion   5,900   9,500     1947   1187.5
Iron Duke 5,900   9,900     1947   1237.5
Warspite   5,300   11,400     1749   1425
Queen Elizabeth 6,300   11,400     2079   1425
King George V 6,100   10,500     2013   1312.5
Hood   5,300   11,400     1749   1425
Nelson   6,900   12,000     2277   1500
Monarch   6,300   11,900     2079   1487.5
Lion   7,200   13,000     2376   1625
Conqueror 8,200   14,900     2706   1862.5

Italy                  

Giulio Cesare 4,800   9,700     1584   1212.5

France                  

Dunkerque 4,800   9,700     1584   1212.5

My theory is, it's the game mechanics.  

As you can see, with the exception of the Brits. Starting in either Tier 6 or Tier 7, you are rewarded for forgetting your HE shells in BB.

The damage output of an HE pen is only slightly more than an AP overpen in most cases from T6 on.  Heck, the Germans have 2 different BB in top (from wiki) that have greater AP overpen than HE pen.  There is literally no reward for BB players to switch ammo type to HE to shoot DD's. 

This doesn't make any sense.  In the low tiers, you are taught to switch ammo type.  This is useless in upper tiers. 

Sure you can get a little more damage on a DD with HE pen and a fire, maybe knock a module out or the engines, but then what?  You have to switch back to AP to be a killer again to other ship types.  (Correct play mechanic in my opinion.)

Or, you can shoot AP at the DD, get some hits, do almost as much damage and don't have to switch ammo types with the reload wait. Which is what smart players do. (Incorrect play mechanic in my opinion.) 

I do believe, that DD mains, may have a valid complaint about this.  

BB players need to be encouraged to switch ammo types which would 

A) Encourage BB pushing with team (don't have to worry about BB AP if they are shooting DD) 

B) Help to keep CL/CA from instant delete

C) Make average player think more about shots

D) (My opinion) Make game play more interesting. 

E) Ok, just reread A).  It most likely won't as a lot of BBs are scared of whatever. 

What's your thoughts?

Honestly Curious about honest thoughts here guys. 

1,272 posts
8,561 battles

Another thing - if I am in a BB and switch to HE when fighting a DD, I cannot instantly switch targets  and citadel a broadsiding cruiser or BB that enteres my firing angle. 

So the only real benefit of HE is damaging modules. AP overpen causes only slightly less damage than HE pen, sometimes does 3x damage, and allows me to citadel stuff.

It is just not worth the reload time switching to HE just to do more module damage.

Edited by Thyaliad

400 posts
3,932 battles
10 minutes ago, KirstieBeau said:

I think something's wrong with your computation. AP overpen only deals 10% of the AP max damage. Example is NC. An overpen is just 1310.

Wiki says it's 1/8 of max damage, before saturation/etc. comes into account.

If this is wrong, please link the info. That would completely change the whole argument being made. 

173 posts
5,332 battles
1 minute ago, HeroOfWind said:

i think these screenshots are self-explanatory about the AP-HE switch in general. (and how bs it is currently)

lion perfect salvo khab.jpg

13k on sims.jpg

This is the reason why I, a US DD main, stopped playing destroyers recently. DD supposedly counter BB not the other way around. All the radar, hydro, and these BB AP salvos doesn't justify the rewards you get playing DD. That's why I play more BB and cruisers recently.

400 posts
3,932 battles
1 minute ago, KirstieBeau said:

This is the reason why I, a US DD main, stopped playing destroyers recently. DD supposedly counter BB not the other way around. All the radar, hydro, and these BB AP salvos doesn't justify the rewards you get playing DD. That's why I play more BB and cruisers recently.

That's what I've been hearing. But please, where did you hear about the 1/10 overpen with AP?  

The wiki for WOWS has 1/8 overpen which is what all the math is based on. If the math is wrong, then the overpen complaint is not valid if the overpen is lower than showed in the table above.  (Pen still is in my opinion). 

173 posts
5,332 battles
5 minutes ago, BunnyDragon said:

Wiki says it's 1/8 of max damage, before saturation/etc. comes into account.

If this is wrong, please link the info. That would completely change the whole argument being made. 

Even if 1/10 is the correct value, it wouldn't completely change the issue. Firing AP at DD is still the better choice.

173 posts
5,332 battles
5 minutes ago, BunnyDragon said:

That's what I've been hearing. But please, where did you hear about the 1/10 overpen with AP?  

The wiki for WOWS has 1/8 overpen which is what all the math is based on. If the math is wrong, then the overpen complaint is not valid if the overpen is lower than showed in the table above.  (Pen still is in my opinion). 

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration

overpen.png

400 posts
3,932 battles
3 minutes ago, KirstieBeau said:

Even if 1/10 is the correct value, it wouldn't completely change the issue. Firing AP at DD is still the better choice.

Actually it makes a big difference.

1/10 overpen for Montana is 1350 for a 500 damage per shot difference, (this could be the difference between a kill or not if HE is used correctly) then bad play is part of the problem for the overuse of AP (myself included) vs not a real difference between ammo choice.

1,272 posts
8,561 battles
28 minutes ago, BunnyDragon said:

It says in the wiki here that overpens do 10% damage. Under the AP section.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration

Never heard of that 1/8 value before. I think that is an error.

But I have to agree it doesn't change much. Are you willing to go into a 30s reload and give up the chance to do 3x damage and the potential to damage other non-DD targets just do to marginally more damage and module hits?

It is better to just stick to AP. Personally I only switch to HE in a BB if the enemy DD I am fighting is the last enemy left in the area. 

Edited by Thyaliad

250 posts
12,883 battles

The exact problem in my opinion is, current games mechanics are broken and need to be overhauled.
HE is effortless round, just spam it and it will set on fire dealing devastating damage.
AP is alpha spike round, Situational but stupidly powerful if used correctly.

AP BB vs DD shinanigans is a results from "Overmatch Mechanics" and "Underwater Penetration"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Problems with AP on BB against DD is DD armor plate (beside Khabarovsk which is another matter to discuss) has maximum 21 mm which will get overmatched by any AP shell that has diamater > 305 mm. Thus BB always damage DD regardless of angle you get hit which mean AP is better than HE when used against DD, plus BB has long reload so there is excuse to not swapping AP to HE (but if you get hit by HE you still get devastated regardless).

For under water penetration, BB AP when land on water near DD it will arm when contacted, BB has 0.033 (0.015s for RN BB) s arming time which mean BB AP will dive and penetrate hull and arm inside ship which equal to normal penetration (33% maximum damage). This is why AP is better than HE, if HE land near DD its exploded on contact and instead of damaging ship it will capacitate module instead (which is better than get raw damage on DD side)

WG approach about making AP overpen on DD only is bullcrap and nonesense and it only solve symptom, not root cause.

There are many things I want to discuss and demonstrate my though on game mechanics (AP and HE especially) but I'll add it up later on because it will be long article to write and refine them will take days or weeks.

Edited by New_Horizontal

173 posts
5,332 battles
8 minutes ago, BunnyDragon said:

1/10 overpen for Montana is 1350 for a 500 damage per shot difference, (this could be the difference between a kill or not if HE is used correctly) then bad play is part of the problem for the overuse of AP (myself included) vs not a real difference between ammo choice.

I' d rather roll the dice with AP. Either you get a bunch of overpens which deal relatively decent damage, or you get that one or two pens that completely devastate the poor DD player. It's so frustrating if you switch to HE, and right before your guns get reloaded, that DD will fall into concealment and you have a broadside cruiser next to it and you have HE loaded. :cap_fainting:

Super Tester
7,374 posts
7,883 battles
6 minutes ago, BunnyDragon said:

It is not a bad play, nor a lazy play. Battleships do not see Destroyers for much long, they usually go into stealth between two reloads. Switching between AP and HE is not optimal because by the time you get your shells ready its very clear that for the most part, you are no longer detecting the destroyer. HE is not very good for most of the battleships in the game to shoot other classes. AP overpen from shells are still better than HE salvos where there are chances that the modules blocking the HE shells and literally doing nothing. Technically HE salvos should rate higher total damage since they don't overpen, so basically 1/3 of max HE damage which is roughly 1/2 of max AP damage. So, for each shell, if max AP damage is something like M, overpen does M/10 and HE pen does roughly M/6. This is fine on paper, but the reality is totally opposite. HE mechanics is wonky at best.

And WG Wiki never works, sadly.

28 posts
2,972 battles

Wasn't it the case that owing to an error in the game engine, BB AP was doing full pen on destroyers in certain instances when the shells hit the water, then go on and hit the ship?

I think the problem is very high penetration damage, much higher than 1/10, is randomly affecting DDs. There were a couple of recorded instances of DD's taking massive damage from only one ap hit. 

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,080 battles

DDs are still good for capping and influencing the battle, however, it just doesn't work when you eat a 5k AP pen damage from your butt while running away. I'm already reducing my escape time by sitting butt into cap, with engine boost ready to go, but I get spotted for 5 secs and a BB can get their salvo off. If 1 AP hits my butt, that's 5k HP gone.

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,817 battles
2 hours ago, HeroOfWind said:

i think these screenshots are self-explanatory about the AP-HE switch in general. (and how bs it is currently)

lion perfect salvo khab.jpg

13k on sims.jpg

To be fair, Khaba deserves every bit of it, don't know about the sims though.

Edited by Admiral_Neptulussus

[MEGA]
4,543 posts
17,250 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Neptulussus said:

To be fair, Khaba deserves every bit of it, don't know about the sims though.

every dd suffer from this, at every tier

400 posts
3,932 battles
8 minutes ago, FishyPower said:

DDs are still good for capping and influencing the battle, however, it just doesn't work when you eat a 5k AP pen damage from your butt while running away. I'm already reducing my escape time by sitting butt into cap, with engine boost ready to go, but I get spotted for 5 secs and a BB can get their salvo off. If 1 AP hits my butt, that's 5k HP gone.

Agree, and I don't play dd.  

I think that AP pen from BB needs to be changed regarding DD and HE use encouraged.  (Sure you hit DD, but he got options left from AP hit.  HE, then massive pen damage. Correct play/risk rewarded.)

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,080 battles
19 minutes ago, BunnyDragon said:

Agree, and I don't play dd.  

I think that AP pen from BB needs to be changed regarding DD and HE use encouraged.  (Sure you hit DD, but he got options left from AP hit.  HE, then massive pen damage. Correct play/risk rewarded.)

Yep.

289 posts
4,361 battles

My view on this is a little different.

If you are a DD, you should learn to expect an unhappy time if you end up detected at business end of a BB's main turrets. It doesn't really matter if those 16" shells are HE or AP, your only hope is that you get lucky: the shells either miss, or, for AP, pass clean through... which they might, or, especially coming through the ship bow to stern, might not.

The game mechanics are fair and realistic as they are: BB's can take you out with whatever they have in the barrel, but HE gives a small advantage. A DD should not be made impervious to AP shells. That would be terrible. A DD's defense is concealment, and to a lesser extent, small size and maneuverability. Once the heavy shells start connecting you done messed up and that should be the end of you.

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,080 battles
1 hour ago, Rina_Pon said:

My view on this is a little different.

If you are a DD, you should learn to expect an unhappy time if you end up detected at business end of a BB's main turrets. It doesn't really matter if those 16" shells are HE or AP, your only hope is that you get lucky: the shells either miss, or, for AP, pass clean through... which they might, or, especially coming through the ship bow to stern, might not.

The game mechanics are fair and realistic as they are: BB's can take you out with whatever they have in the barrel, but HE gives a small advantage. A DD should not be made impervious to AP shells. That would be terrible. A DD's defense is concealment, and to a lesser extent, small size and maneuverability. Once the heavy shells start connecting you done messed up and that should be the end of you.

But the thing is, your maneuverability doesn't do anything. At 10km, you can expect to eat a salvo for AP shells. Plus, 5 seconds is a reasonable time to escape from detection, but a BB can switch targets with 5 secs. It doesn't help when you hide in your smoke cause the enemy DD is also there in cap with you, then all of a sudden, radar and you die. I know radar is pretty hard to use, but bloody hell, the radars at high tiers are [content removed]. 10km detection range + the 3km that a DD is typically away from his fleet. That's pretty safe a distance already.

Inappropriate/derogatory. Post edited, user sanctioned.

~amade

Edited by amade

449 posts
8,029 battles
4 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

It is not a bad play, nor a lazy play. Battleships do not see Destroyers for much long, they usually go into stealth between two reloads. Switching between AP and HE is not optimal because by the time you get your shells ready its very clear that for the most part, you are no longer detecting the destroyer. HE is not very good for most of the battleships in the game to shoot other classes. AP overpen from shells are still better than HE salvos where there are chances that the modules blocking the HE shells and literally doing nothing. Technically HE salvos should rate higher total damage since they don't overpen, so basically 1/3 of max HE damage which is roughly 1/2 of max AP damage. So, for each shell, if max AP damage is something like M, overpen does M/10 and HE pen does roughly M/6. This is fine on paper, but the reality is totally opposite. HE mechanics is wonky at best.

And WG Wiki never works, sadly.

Basically this. By the time you switch ammo the DD is gone, so shoot whatever you got in the barrels. Yeah DDs can take a nasty amount of damage from BB AP, but the better DD players I've seen generally don't put themselves in that position.

I don't play DDs all that much but I can manage to not get sunk by BBs like this (unless I make a silly mistake) when playing my DDs. Generally you have to be fairly close for a BB to be able to hit you without the possibility of dodging, and you have stealth and smoke to use for evasion. It does get much harder the higher tier you play.

Switching ammunition by removing a shell and reloading a new one was never done on ships because of practicality, they always fired the guns to clear them before loading a new ammo type. In fact guns bigger than a certain size should be unable to change ammo if a shell is already loaded.

1 hour ago, FishyPower said:

But the thing is, your maneuverability doesn't do anything. At 10km, you can expect to eat a salvo for AP shells. Plus, 5 seconds is a reasonable time to escape from detection, but a BB can switch targets with 5 secs. It doesn't help when you hide in your smoke cause the enemy DD is also there in cap with you, then all of a sudden, radar and you die. I know radar is pretty hard to use, but bloody hell, the radars at high tiers are [content removed] . 10km detection range + the 3km that a DD is typically away from his fleet. That's pretty safe a distance already.

If you're in a situation like that I'd think escaping a bit earlier rather than trying to fight would be a better option, of course leaving some fish to make the enemies think. That would be a bad situation even without the BB in the equation. Oh and 5 seconds turret rotation for most BBs is not that far for many BBs, they'd have to have their guns pointing roughly in your general direction to be able to do that.

Personally when in a DD I tend to save smoke as a trump card in an escape, or to cover an ally. If I see smoke I send torps if I have them. I've seen so many DDs camp in their smoke in a cap only to be torpedoed or caught out with radar/hydro. It's a common strategy but it's probably not the best way of going about capping.

Quote updated.

~amade

Edited by amade