You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ShadoPulse

What about a Carrier line with a limited range

13 comments in this topic

671 posts
1,508 battles

One day I,ShadoPulse, decided to ponder about carriers and I thought about the crazy idea of a Light Carrier line with a range limit of it's planes. For example it would have

-18km maximum range for her planes

-destroyer like concealment(or cruiser like)

-Higher HP than average and a secondary suite that acctually works

I thought that the line would do ok in a low tier situation, but yet again I don't play carriers so I wanted to know other peoples opinion

(Disclaimer I was at the time also pondering about a carrier with smoke, it's not meant to be serious. I just wanted to know if it could work in a real battle situation)

Edited by ShadoPulse

1,386 posts
9,060 battles

That is an interesting idea to play around with.

When I first heard WoWs had CVs, I imagined they would operate something like that.

Or they would have a radio range, where beyond that range you cannot issue orders to planes anymore, and they would just carry out their last order before returning.

148 posts
557 battles
1 minute ago, Thyaliad said:

That is an interesting idea to play around with.

When I first heard WoWs had CVs, I imagined they would operate something like that.

Or they would have a radio range, where beyond that range you cannot issue orders to planes anymore, and they would just carry out their last order before returning.

but Radios have a very long range so...

[LNA]
1,693 posts
10,542 battles
38 minutes ago, Shankeyyy said:

but Radios have a very long range so...

Where did you hear that radio have a very long range.Having a long range vs having a usable range is 2 completely different concept.

Radio range depend a  lot on the frequency being used

HF radios are long ranged , have a trunk load of static and whatshit due to being easily jammed. It is often used in international broadcast for its long range.Hearing something smoothly inside these channels require huge determination

VHF radios are a bit more advanced , have shorter range ( capped by ionsphere limiting it to local use ) but is less prone to noise and what  not.

It require line of sight to work or a strong enough signal to bounce off ionshpere , it is often the target of passive jamming. Often used by ATC , static is still a thing ,but definitely hearable.

UHF are the most advanced, but also the most comsuming in power, it can better penetrate objects for signal to come through , but it can eat up huge amount of energy.It is also the most prone to what called active jamming.

Radio range is a major obstacles for naval aviation, it also limit the option for CIC to control their aircrafts. Losing direction in an ocean setting is extremely common when there is no or little landmark to rely on.

You have no idea how hard is it to get a plane from A to B with limited and primitive navigation gear, without surveillance radar you rely completely on pilot's reports which can mislead to where it actually is by some 40 miles...

Edited by legionary2099

148 posts
557 battles
25 minutes ago, legionary2099 said:

Where did you hear that radio have a very long range.Having a long range vs having a usable range is 2 completely different concept.

Radio range depend a  lot on the frequency being used

HF radios are long ranged , have a trunk load of static and whatshit due to being easily jammed. It is often used in international broadcast for its long range.Hearing something smoothly inside these channels require huge determination

VHF radios are a bit more advanced , have shorter range ( capped by ionsphere limiting it to local use ) but is less prone to noise and what  not.

It require line of sight to work or a strong enough signal to bounce off ionshpere , it is often the target of passive jamming. Often used by ATC , static is still a thing ,but definitely hearable.

UHF are the most advanced, but also the most comsuming in power, it can better penetrate objects for signal to come through , but it can eat up huge amount of energy.It is also the most prone to what called active jamming.

Radio range is a major obstacles for naval aviation, it also limit the option for CIC to control their aircrafts. Losing direction in an ocean setting is extremely common when there is no or little landmark to rely on.

You have no idea how hard is it to get a plane from A to B with limited and primitive navigation gear, without surveillance radar you rely completely on pilot's reports which can mislead to where it actually is by some 40 miles...

Oh. thank you for the Info.

Beta Tester
213 posts
4,131 battles

We already have CVL in game ( all tier 6 CV and below except Bongue is CVE) , there is  reason why we don't have any high tier CVL, the most problem with them is they small, so they can't carry much planes in hangar, their flight deck also smaller that a restrict them to launch any stronger/ heavier attack aircraft, it also effect number of planes can launch at the same time , resupply landed planes, and take more time for aircraft landing.

If the MM fuck up and put them same match with  a standard carrier they will be out play in both of quantity and quality. That not mention there are too much AA dead zone in this game will make them unplayable.

In term of survivability because they small you can put too many protection in them, same as secondary gun (in logic), the secondary  gun in game is useless with out mod and skill (you don't have necessary mod in low tier, while can ignore the aircraft mod, also you will need 19 skill capt for skill) 

And the concealment of CVL in game is already better than most of cruiser same tier, but it ok to buff them, i guess.

That why WG still restrict CVL is low tier carrier, and will make us harder to get RN CV line since most of them is CVL:Smile_hiding:

Edited by K135Blitzkrieg

Super Tester
2,725 posts
13 hours ago, ShadoPulse said:

-18km maximum range for her planes

Maximum range to fly before the plane's fuel ran out? Logical enough.

This will prevent carrier sniping though, thus making the Def AA, that was implemented to counter that, somewhat least use.

Edited by Mingfang47

1,541 posts

I think the speed of the low tier carriers would effect playing & usefulness if a range was introduced, I don't know much about Japanese carriers, but the US ones are very slow, so if they had a maximum range like 18 or even 20 KLM, they would have to sail closer to launch, & that would put them in more danger, as ships will spot them sooner, then go after them, & being too slow, they wouldn't get away...

Ordrazz

Alpha Tester
29 posts
3,187 battles
18 hours ago, K135Blitzkrieg said:

That why WG still restrict CVL is low tier carrier, and will make us harder to get RN CV line since most of them is CVL:Smile_hiding:

Blasphemy............they were CVL and CV (Fleet Carriers), and we could actually have a line from each after T6.

I hope they go with something along the lines of T4 HMS Hermes (20 aircraft 13.000tons), T5 HMS Eagle (30 aircraft 21,800tons), T6 HMS Glorious (48 aircraft 22,300tons), T7 Ark Royal (60-72 aircraft 27,000tons), T8 HMS Indefatigable (81 Aircraft 32,000tons), T9 HMS Eagle (60 (all Jets) but designed for about 100 49,900tons), T10 HMS Gibraltar (108 aircraft 56,000tons).

Aircraft types would be more interesting.

H

Edited by H_87A_2CU

[LNA]
1,693 posts
10,542 battles
2 hours ago, LordTyphoon said:

No point...fleet carrier, light carrier, they will all be banned from clan battles because they give the team too much advantage. 

Clan battle is only a part of the game , it is in no way is the be all end all of all things.

Sure , they give the team many benefits , but CV do have to contend with the other counterpart on the otherside. Also CV in organized match lose much of its potential strike power, it serve primarily as fleet guardian and spotter.

CV game in an organized match can be very boring as both CV tend to glare at each other instead of actually doing something. Most of the time the CV cpt serve as combat CIC and director , busy drying his mouth more than actually controlling his planes