Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
bagusyes

Several issues when using Battleships

23 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1 post
180 battles

after several battle in CBT mainly using Battleships, i found several issues that occurs and some sugestion regarding that issues...

1. Map had too much island

As it states, the map had too much small island, i count at least 10+ small island. I'm not saying that map with no small island or open sea map is good (i hate open sea map too, experiencing it from the other game) but if the numbers of small island are too many, the battleships had a hard time to manuver, in the end the battleship only play safely around the outer ring which is open sea map or around spawn points, what make things worse is that when i took starting path moving in one side of the map but found no enemies in my path but instead the opposing team is leeming in the other side of the map, my battle ship can do nothing. First, it's slow and chumbersome (there is 1 battle that i even waste more than 1 minute just to crawling out the chanel, thank God i meet no destroyer nor torpedo bomber when it happened). Second, its amazing firing range get cut mostly by the small island that exist in the map.

Suggestion: Reduce the numbers of the small island and scatter it arround the map so that the battleship "at least" had a space to manuver around the island. And please dont consider this as a soft nerf to small ship, even with no small island destroyer and cruiser is very hard to hit because of their smaller profile and fast manuverability, also destroyer won't get a scratch eventhough it's in <10km thanks to their smokescreen and their concealment point.

2. The "sniper mode" that only for zooming

well, honestly, idk how to say "sniper mode" in WoWS, but seriously, i had really, really, really hard time to decide, where exactly my fire will land! it's so hard honestly to decide where my shell gonna land, i make a lot of misfire thx to miscalculation. And the most miscalculation that occur, is because i cant decide whether the enemy getting closer to me or not? it happened when engaging in long range shelling (>15km) and it's seriously annoying, and also its so hard to lead shot (i even put half my target outside my scope, and its a kongo which is battleships) and readjust my aim, what make things worse? the projectile super slow travel speed! it takes almost half my reload time to actually hit the sea! but at least WoWs give nice calculation in the scope about total projectile travel time and range finder, but it still not addressing the issue that actually happened which is deciding if the enemy is getting closer or not, how to know where exactly the projectile will land in long range shelling and trying to lead shot yet the enemy still inside the scope.

Suggestion: first, obviously,increase the projetile travel speed! Only the travel speed, the trajectory is fine and nothing wrong with it. Second, give some assist for battleship to decide where the projectile will land! torpedo which is being use in close range, had assist to decide where it will go after being launched/release, why not give battleships some assist to actually see where their fire gonna land? Third, why not give a highlight view to the enemy that has been locked so we know exactly where it's moving? but of course its only shown as long as the target is still locked, if its gone, its gone. or the most simple method, give the battleships some bird eye view like the arty in WoT so we can easily see the enemy move patern and behaviour (remember, Battleships had good firing range hence makes it more like arty :P )

3. The so called Cruiser beaten by Battleships is not as simple as it states

As it states (actually its also happened with cruiser beat destroyer), its not very simple matter i think for "paper rock scissor" thing. lets give example with the one that i already write, Battleships VS Cruisers. Cruisers had speed around 30kn and medium-small profile plus torpedo. i've said it before how hard could it be to shoot the enemy battleship in >15KM away, and imagine you had to shot a ships that had smaller size? obvious isn't it?even <10Km, it's still hard to actually hitting the cruisers with full salvo (i had maximum 5x hit with my kongo on enemy cruiser), and what make it worse? the damage that the projectile inflict is "random" (i know it's not actually random), i mean 1 time i could hit enemy cruiser and deal 3-5k damage with 3 hit, but just now shit happened, i hit cruisers and got 5x hits and guess the damage! wrong, it only deals around 300 damage, that moment i shout "WHAT THE F*CK" :angry: (with angry german kid style :teethhappy:), but seriously, 300? do you even know how hard it is to aim properly at moving medium-small profile ships? and when you actually hit it (mostly) you deal very low damage? and the projectile landed like on it's center deck or rear bridge. and i also mention torpedo, yes! cruiser had torpedo (some, eventhough for now it's mostly had :P) thx to that, cruiser could sink Battleships easier, there is one battle my kongo which only lost 10% of health surrounded with 2 kuma and both from 2 different direction, one from front the other from rear, but i concentrate the one at front since the other kuma only had 10% health left (while the one i face is had around 50% of health) and on the other side of my gun. so the shelling is on till the front kuma is in fullspeed getting close to me than release its torpedo when its around 2-3Km from my position and all of it hit me, but after that the kumas is dead and i'm still live  with only 10% of my health, and when i try using a cruiser, more or less i had same problem destroying enemy destro which is too small and nimble and sometime when i hit even with plenty of hits it damage is not significant.

Suggestion: First, why not give guns more "stable" damage? you can tweak HE damage more so it can deal more "stable" damage especially against smaller ships, it's already hard to hit them due to their fast moving speed and their smaller profile in <10Km not to mention the random dispersion of the cannon that make it harder to guess the "actual" bullet trajectory when we fire our gun, still not to mention that we had to aim from full front or full rear of the ship instead of from middle of the ship or the bridge (i know this isn't WoT). Second, give the "secondary artillery" more range both Battleships and cruisers, the reason? torpedo users tend to release their torpedo >5Km (around 6-8 KM), and more often after they launch the torpedo it runs away, what make it worse? we cant see the torpedo incoming until it's <5km away (idk the exact number) and imagine how hard the battleships has to evade? or even cruisers? without scratch? torpedo is easy to evade yet it only need 1 hit to deal >2000 damage compared to gun which can deal as low as 300points even with 5 hits, so at least the battleships and cruiser had some "help" so the smaller ships will think twice for getting closer to the big ships head on, so that it's gonna act like "area denial weapon" and the mechanic is just like now and if it's too good, you can reduce the secondary armaments accuracy and hit probability (since area denial weapon's main job is not destroying enemy but interupt the enemy doing their job) and with maximum range with all the skill and equipments will be 10Km (that mean buffing 2-3 Km from their actuall number now)

4. AA warfare lack "Boom-Boom"

Yup, AA lacking Boom-Boom, meaning that AAW is not like what it's like. I mean in every AAW, guns not just firing one or twice then it hits something, it supposed to keep Boom-Boom-ratatatat-boom-boom-ratatata-bangbangbang-boomboom-ratatata-splash and then we actually hit the planes, not like now which is boomboom.................ratatatatat........splash...., what? even in "sniper-mode" i dont actually hear some AA firing and dont realize that the enemy aircraft is coming in to kill me several time i got hit from TB when i was aiming and dont see any TB coming in before aiming....

Sugestion: one and only, Give some more effect on it please :( i'd love to see the AAW is happening, i wanna see the smoke from timed fused (some with proximity fuse) projectile that explode in the air, i wanna heard some machinegun firing sound which trying to hit the aircraft! no need to tweak the probability chance, just tweak the graphic and the sound so that the AAW looks a little bit more real....

5. Useless scout plane.

well, not so useless actually more like "lack some usefullness", i mean the scout plane had job for scouting, right? but look at how it's scouting, its just circling around the ships, we as the captain obviously know where the enemy is spawn and coming from (especially at the start of the battle), why bother scouting our rear? instead i wanna scout the enemy which is in front of me who is i gonna face after this, but i cant control my plane! it's only usefull in the late game but it still had limitation that it had to fly near the ship and in circle.

Sugestion: give us the control of the scout planes please, it will be more usefull that way so we can actually spot the enemy with scout planes (hey, in actuall fleet, it's not destroyer job to scouting, it's scout planes, right?)

Now i realize why battleships now obsolete :trollface:

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

And the most miscalculation that occur, is because i cant decide whether the enemy getting closer to me or not?

Hold alt to get distance information, which might help you in deciding how much lead you need when making shots.

Super Tester
1,677 posts

my only issue with battleships is the notion that all guns in the turret fire when bracketing though. even if its a bracket shot it shouldnt have both turrets unload in all their fury. no probz with the salvo however.

Edited by EvyL

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

Most people can work out if a ship is coming closer or getting further away by looking at it. You also have that handy horizontal line on the scope if you really cant work it out...

Beta Tester
25 posts
439 battles

You have to experiment and learn how far to lead a ship when firing.

Press shift to go into zoom mode, then mouse wheel to zoom in on the aiming point. Then use the measurement markings to determine where to fire to drop shots onto target.

With practice you can get hits at max range and really spoil their day.

With the spotting plane, you should have your spotting limit increased. I haven't really worked out if it is working in game at the moment. Is it?

Edited by jvilnisaust

Beta Tester
107 posts
226 battles

3. when u get to higher tier BB.....you can rely on your secondary armaments to take down CA and DD when they are in range of it.....i even managed to kill 1 CA and 1 DD circling around me with my hp around 1/5 left using only the secondary armaments.....i've also managed to kill lots of DD who like to get close to drop torps only to die in my secondary armaments.....

damage seems to be fine already....u just need to hit the right part of the ship....u can even kill instantly a full hp CV in just 1 full salvo(managed to do once, was not able to do again.....seems i was so lucky at that time...)

4. your graphics settings maybe is not maxed....i got mine maxed and can really feel the AA feedback....can even see smokes in the sky from exploding projectiles........but i do agree on the machine gun part that it lacks a bit....

5. for me the only use of scout planes is too see hiding enemies behind islands...other than that, feels useless as it can't be controlled....

leading ships is just purely skill...you just have to get used to it.....

Edited by Yami_Shoumetsu

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

after several battle in CBT mainly using Battleships, i found several issues that occurs and some sugestion regarding that issues...

Be wise MAGGOTS!!, WE, DESTROYER ALREADY HAVE A HARD TIME DEALING WITH THEM(Battleship!)

Bringing less island make everything worse for destroyer,even smoke can't exist forever

Beta Tester
21 posts
3,365 battles

Hold down ALT to win.

Seriously.  The timer and distance information coupled with the cross hair in the zoom work together.

Hope this helps.

Beta Tester
4 posts
33 battles

Hold down ALT to win.

Seriously.  The timer and distance information coupled with the cross hair in the zoom work together.

Hope this helps.

+1

I came across this post looking for ways to increase the accuracy (reduce the spread of main battery shots), but after reading this I can confirm that holding ALT is a WIN. I went straight down BB route first off and didn't know about the ALT key until I was at the Kongo (LOL) now I almost have it held down the whole time as its helpful for seeing the distances of all enemy warships that are spotted, giving the player a good idea of who is closing in behind cover (by watching their distance and direction) I have also found that my shots have been finding home since I found the ALT key, it REALLY helps, take a pot shot with one turret and tediously wait till it drops to gauge your lead and distance then fire the remainder of the salvo, then keep the rhythm going of taking that first pot when it has reloaded and then the rest.... 

The Maps idea, I'm with you on this (being a BB player), Maybe not get rid of all the tiny islands we BBs need to tip-toe around but spread them out a little more so that we can set a path through them with the Autopilot that doesn't require over turning the ship causing turrets to be out of angle...

On the AA note, yeah they need to be beefed' up lol... like the OP said don't adjust the chance of hitting an aircraft but enhance the effects so it gives a feeling that 50+ AA guns are firing frantically to save their lives

Edited by SlyRacoon22

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

2. The "sniper mode" that only for zooming

3. The so called Cruiser beaten by Battleships is not as simple as it states

5. Useless scout plane.

Now i realize why battleships now obsolete :trollface:

1. No. DDs rely on these islands to stay alive. BB are not supposed to fight in those area anyway and you should always find somewhere with more open water. BB going into tight areas is more like your fault and not the map designers' fault. As I remember there are always open area in each map.

2. As the previous posters tells you - ALT is your friend.

3. Of course it isn't as simple as you think. If BB completely destroys Cruisers it is simply poor game design - Same goes to DD->BB and CA/CL -> DD. There got to be some way to counter balance the difference or else the supposed weaker side is no fun at all - in this case, flooding and fire. They cannot kill you that quickly with these but ANY BB can 1 salvo any cruiser - You may miss a lot - but all you need is 1 or 2 hit on their citadel to kill it. Cruisers is not ideal to take on BBs, but certainly do-able if the BB is..... Ummm You know what I mean.

4. This is something I already requested. :honoring:

5. No????????? They are your savior! They spot torpedo earlier and scout those sneaky DD wanting to ambush on you. They are extremely useful already. Not having control of them can ensure it being not TOO useful on finding stuff and still give a clever DD captain a chance to surprise you.

Edited by Alvin1020

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Yup, AA lacking Boom-Boom, meaning that AAW is not like what it's like. I mean in every AAW, guns not just firing one or twice then it hits something, it supposed to keep Boom-Boom-ratatatat-boom-boom-ratatata-bangbangbang-boomboom-ratatata-splash and then we actually hit the planes, not like now which is boomboom.................ratatatatat........splash...., what? even in "sniper-mode" i dont actually hear some AA firing and dont realize that the enemy aircraft is coming in to kill me several time i got hit from TB when i was aiming and dont see any TB coming in before aiming....

Sugestion: one and only, Give some more effect on it please :( i'd love to see the AAW is happening, i wanna see the smoke from timed fused (some with proximity fuse) projectile that explode in the air, i wanna heard some machinegun firing sound which trying to hit the aircraft! no need to tweak the probability chance, just tweak the graphic and the sound so that the AAW looks a little bit more real....

Settings -> Graphic settings -> Animate small objects. You're welcome.

Edited by Syanda

Beta Tester
4 posts
33 battles

Settings -> Graphic settings -> Animate small objects. You're welcome.

I have my settings all maxed out, I selected Very High on graphics preset, then went through each and made sure the highest option was selected,

I see the AA firing and the flak exploding in the air and all that, visually its awesome, but I think what the OP and I definitely am asking for is more fire from the AA, like more shots being taken at the aircraft, not to do more damage to them but to make it look that little bit more awesome

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

I have my settings all maxed out, I selected Very High on graphics preset, then went through each and made sure the highest option was selected,

I see the AA firing and the flak exploding in the air and all that, visually its awesome, but I think what the OP and I definitely am asking for is more fire from the AA, like more shots being taken at the aircraft, not to do more damage to them but to make it look that little bit more awesome

That is exactly what animate small objects does. A hell lot more tracer fire, ships lighting up like a christmas tree whenever planes fly within autocannon ranges, black smoke from AAA exploding around plane squadrons, planes exploding in midair from direct AAA hits or coming down in flames.

Beta Tester
4 posts
33 battles

That is exactly what animate small objects does. A hell lot more tracer fire, ships lighting up like a christmas tree whenever planes fly within autocannon ranges, black smoke from AAA exploding around plane squadrons, planes exploding in midair from direct AAA hits or coming down in flames.

Okay cool I get you, Maybe its just because I am only in a Fuso as I have only been testing for 3 days, 

Off topic question but regarding AA, does the Yamato have very long range AA in this game? ( I used to play far too much NF many years ago and the AA had very long range when outfitted correctly )

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Okay cool I get you, Maybe its just because I am only in a Fuso as I have only been testing for 3 days, 

Off topic question but regarding AA, does the Yamato have very long range AA in this game? ( I used to play far too much NF many years ago and the AA had very long range when outfitted correctly )

AA engagement ranges are determined by what armaments the ships are carrying. 12.7s/5" DP guns engage planes at ~5km out, and then the autocannons engage much closer, around 1-3km.

Beta Tester
4 posts
33 battles

Okay thats cool thank you,

Is there a way to tighten the grouping on shots? Is it a higher captain that does this? Because I have seen some pretty awesome looking block shots from other Battleships, but mine always seem to have wicked strays and maybe a single turret will get a nice grouping now and then... bloody annoying when you are at like 3km from a BB both at broadside and you are firing high and low while not even adjusting your aim :teethhappy:

Nevermind that, Just unlocked the level with upgrades and have discovered the accuracy mod, will try this

Edited by SlyRacoon22

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Nope. Dispersion is horribly RNG-based. But it helps to aim for the waterline to get as many shots impacting the target ship, than to aim too high and see your shots sail through the superstructure.

Edited by Syanda

1 post
547 battles

battleship players have a hard time dealing with is detecting invisible ships, my ship is at NEW YORK tier V now. Carriers' planes can drop torpedoes like 2 km away. (maybe my torpedoes detection/ acquisition range is too low). AA guns are firing at planes like you cannot catch a fly with speed(missing 99 shots in 100 fires). Smoke screens, many covers to hide, many ambush points, irregulars paths between islands. Freaking these are fair for battleship? Zooming don't have vertical ruler (it is not very useful with traveling time of missile), If a destroyer coming head-on closer to drop torpedoes, can battleships deal damage for the half of its hp while torpedoes can deal 3/5 hp of battleship? there is also armor shell bouncing mechanism. Guns firing can give two missiles random flying out (yea it could fly in 10* from Y-axis, another one 170* from Y-axis, so miss one above the target, miss another into the sea). 3 ship types possess torpedoes.

Edited by Captain_Kaung

69 posts
2,225 battles

I would like to see cruisers rate of fire get nerfed. It's pretty imbalanced, when they can have 3 rounds of shells in the air to your one in a battleship. Also. aim time is too slow for battleships. I can smash out over 100 hits in a cruiser per game, but lucky to get 1/3 of that in a battleship.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

I would like to see cruisers rate of fire get nerfed. It's pretty imbalanced, when they can have 3 rounds of shells in the air to your one in a battleship. Also. aim time is too slow for battleships. I can smash out over 100 hits in a cruiser per game, but lucky to get 1/3 of that in a battleship.

But you missed the Critical Point - 1 Citadel = 100 hit from a Cruiser.

Deal with it. In WoWs BBs are not the invincible monster like what you think.

Edited by Alvin1020

[PBKAC]
Alpha Tester
42 posts
1,414 battles

I think Cruisers, Destroyers and Batteships are balanced, yes a Cruiser can easily shoot a lot faster then a battleship, but a BB only needs that one good salvo to put a Cruiser out for most of the game.

I think fires need to be nerfed, or lessened the chance of fire.

I also think CVs need to be nerfed, either by increasing the manual launch distance, spread or increasing reload time. 

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

I think Cruisers, Destroyers and Batteships are balanced, yes a Cruiser can easily shoot a lot faster then a battleship, but a BB only needs that one good salvo to put a Cruiser out for most of the game.

I also think CVs need to be nerfed, either by increasing the manual launch distance, spread or increasing reload time. 

Manual launch Distance won't make any much different even from 10 km

and IJN Spread already as bad as.... even Yamato can slip Through

and Reload time for USN CVs are already sucks

Edited by Harpoon01

69 posts
2,225 battles

But you missed the Critical Point - 1 Citadel = 100 hit from a Cruiser.

Deal with it. In WoWs BBs are not the invincible monster like what you think.

Nothing invincible I know. Never said or thought they are, so don't assume I believe this. Also, not that east to get a good citadel hit on a Cruiser with a BB as they can dodge many shots if they're good.

See comment above re that one good shot. Involves a fair amount of luck. I agree with you on CV nerfing. Got smashed by CV torps in Myogi without getting a shot off in a game. No AA! CV is like arty in WOT.

Sign in to follow this