Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
EvyL

shipbuilding thoughts

3 comments in this topic

Super Tester
1,677 posts

well... I got interested in how ships were being made so I had read some stuff and articles regarding it... and as it is, making one, especially a warship, takes a LOT of grit and stuff.

my whole two cents although those who know more may add or correct:

ORDER AND MATERIEL GATHERING

- go to a shipyard with the intent that goes with the lines of "bruh, make dis ship. I have the blueprints and shit for you to get it done. here's monies for you to spend on steel and whatever the hell you may need" and they'll start preparing a dry dock when the requirements, papers, or have at you are there. from what I can get, the shipyard itself will start acquiring the metal used to build a ship from the monies you gave it to build said ship although cap ships such as battleships and carriers require a bit more metal than the naval workhorses like destroyers or cruisers, they are still nonetheless acquired with the steel and metal being already cut. usually they get prefab steel that has chugged in the blueprints.

KEEL LAYING AND HULL CONSTRUCTION

- see that wedge-y thing or flat-ish metal under the hull base? yeah that, my good man, is the ship keel. in nautical engineering, I believe its used to add stabilization to the big ship when its in rough waters and serves as the 'spine' of sorts for the whole ship. one ship I remember that sank due to a mine breaking her keel was the destroyer USS Corry or so its officially said. as with structure building, a ship goes hull up starting from the keel and if what lulz may believe, there's the thought of the commemoration of the keel laying will have a single, 'gold' rivet story. may look uneventful for the typical spectator but its kinda the conception for the ship and her shipbuilders and may be held as an event. after its done, the hull starts taking form with the hull and the bulkheads taking form as it is. for warships, everything in the hull is strengthened and checked... EVERYTHING... on more frequent intervals than a normal civvy ship since it IS, after all, going to face ordnance such as large caliber guns and torpedoes and all its gonna take for the ship to sink is having its hull messed up so much that she's taking in water. shipbuilders take pride at how the ships they were commissioned to make do not sink easily to silly things such as being hailed by a salvo from a cruiser.

FLOATING OUT AND NAMING/CHRISTENING

- the moment of truth in hull construction: it reaches water for the first time. its here where one of the would-be ship's hull is tested in actual water. since the keel laying and hull construction was inside the dry dock, all the shit inside the dry dock is removed and the gates are opened for the whole thing to be flooded. usually two tugboats are on standby in front of the gate to pull the hull out to have its first feel of water and if I'm correct, all the while they are still in construction inside the hull. if there are slight deviations such as the thing vibrating a bit too much, they send it back to the dry dock and improve and redo whatever they find wrong. it still has no shit inside the hull other than the workers working in it so tugboats are its only source of motion into a berth should the hull be already seaworthy and all thats needed is to create the superstructure/citadel and install basic stuff its to come with like its engine and it may come back to its dry dock place of birth to have more basic stuff installed such as screws (propellers), tuning of the rudders and installing preventive shit such as torpedo belts. the naming and christening may also happen during the floating out with stuff going all "I name this the WG WoWS" and then having it go to the water for the first time. it should come to no surprise that if the sponsor or sponsors of the ship are there to see it launch for the first time, never mind if it has the citadel or not since it needs to FLOAT, not be complete as hell, expect them to be proud as hell alongside the shipbuilders. there are times that the ship launched structurally complete, with citadel and all, but without the basic stuff. 

FITTING OUT AND SEA TRIAL

- well, the name "fitting out" should ring a bell. if the engine and shit arent installed, they're going to be done in this stage and at this point, the ship will only return to its dry dock of origin only to have external stuff such as screws, rudders and have at you if it wasn't actually outfitted during the float-out. its also here where the hax that makes the ship is to be installed. the placement of radar, sonar and scanners, its main armament and secondary batteries being mounted, the placing of the AA suite, calibrating the gun directors and rangekeepers (err to those that don't know, a gun director is a literal analog computer in a large box that crunches up the numbers needed for you to hit something, be it AA or anti-surface but in ships, its mounted in a high point in the ship which give it the best view like a tall ship's crow's nest because it needs to actually "see" to calculate trajectory and other stuff and whatever data it relays to the fire control room, the rangekeeper, which is also a gigantic analog computer in a box that also controls the training and firing of the guns, also takes into calculation along with data from other instruments to create a firing solution. an example of a potentially OP fire control unit with an impressive firing solution was of the warship HMS Warspite scoring really impressive hits well beyond the supposed range of her guns against the Italian Giulio Cesare) for the entire fire control system, the navigational shit in the bridge and craploads of radios as well as incredibly necessary stuff for the crew and for ship survival is placed in the ship, and a stranger thing as well to boot, fitting out may coincide with its first shakedown cruise or sea trials. usually after it is fitted out and everything is ready or the only shit it needs are a few tweaks to the deck and can be seen as not that barring to the testing of the ship, its going to head out to open sea in its own power for the first time where everything is tested in its shakedown cruise, and when I mean everything it means EVERY SINGLE THING inside the ship, from navigation, steering to the main guns firing and the directors and rangekeepers working properly. I dont actually know how long a shakedown cruise will last but if it passes as a seaworthy and combat able warship, its going to be a fine addition to the navy its to serve. I'm starting to pity the Shinano after this...

DELIVERY AND COMMISSION

- the whole words of "Behold, we present to you your completed and thoroughly tested warship!" will echo to where it should serve and it will have a lot of shit to be done such as being registered in the naval registry, a pennant number designation, the captain and his retinue of officers and the crew who will serve with her and fleet designation. if the new ship sooner or later becomes a lead ship of her class, she can be used as a training vessel for the hands to be familiar of her ship class.

well... the tl;dr is over and I was listening to this while writing:

Sign in to follow this