Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Flemboy

Stop the frequent updates. Im sick of the game crashing after each patch

29 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[AE]
Member
202 posts
9,618 battles

Once again another patch and once again frequent catastrophic crashes. Full lock the entire computer up, loud buzzing noise, have to restart the computer crashes. Almost every patch. I don't get it. I am not a programmer. If a mini post-patch patch fixes the crashes, what is in the next new patch that suddenly causes problems again? I am not running garbage. Machine is only 2 years old. NVidia GTX770. Very happy with it. All other games rock. 76 fps. But I have to run direct x 9. It crashes with 11. But WG patches the game and bang. Several days of the game falling over. Mini patch. Game works again. For pete sake, cut back on the number of updates and get the game running well.  Buy the time everyone on the server has patched the game you've had to change to other games due to the ping rate dropping with everyone downloading. One week out of 4 is often lost due all these patches and crashes. I understand that you want to keep things "fresh" but with such a small server population the last thing this game needs is people walking away from the game due scheduled programming fixes. I am running the updated drivers. It has nothing to do with my end. This happens too regularly after patches, for it not to be the patches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
784 posts
4,856 battles

That and instead of "stop the frequent updates" (which is something I've never thought I'd see get asked since most people would appreciate more frequent updates on games they play) it should be "don't have shi**y updates".

But yeah, tbh, I'd figure it's a problem on your end regardless. Hasn't happened to me and my computer is definitely not a good reference. I run mine completely vanilla.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TDA]
Super Tester
3,908 posts
4,190 battles

I occasionally get the odd hiccup (Rare) with some games and its inevitably a driver issue on my end.    You need to regularly keep them up to date.   I usedto get a bit annoyed at constant updates in wot as I used Aslains, but I haven't used any mods in WOWS and its never been an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
231 posts
11,907 battles

I blame the 770 i had similar exp last time for wows. Upgraded to other 10somethingicantremember and never faced it again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[AE]
Member
202 posts
9,618 battles
18 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Do not use latest Nvidia drivers on older cards. Always causes problems.

I run no mods, and everything vanilla. But this above piqued my interest. I might try a roll back. But, as mentioned, a week later there is a mini-patch, and the crashing stops. Also the whole "some people cant run direct x 11" thing wasn't resolved yet....

I think there could be memory leaks in the new patches, and the mini patch fixes them. The game even crashes in port. Usually twice (exactly) then runs for hours fine. Then next patch. Also, and its bizarre, by my machine doesn't like the Orlan. Any mission played with Orlan falls over. Only ship it does it on.

Thank you all for the responses.

By the way, do you all run Windows 10?

At the time of its release Microsoft got really sneaky, and the automatic windows updater did not give an Option. Just "When are you changing". After outcry (as 10 was bloody buggy) they stopped with it.

As result never got it. Anyone running Win 7 as I am? It could be that too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[AE]
Member
202 posts
9,618 battles

so today.....

last night I really got into fixing this. Downloaded Nvidia Experience. Found out the drivers may not have been up to date. Made sure windows was full up to date. Updated GTX770 drivers (interestingly they were new from 21 September, about the time the game became unplayable. Ah.... I think! After updating and cleaning up, ran game (late at night at this stage) 2 runs. Ran well. Yay!

Went to play today and catastrophic lockups again. IT is not the drivers. It isn't windows. Vanilla game install. Just shit patch.

So I have be unable to play this game properly since last patch. As I said, the machine IS NOT THAT OLD. 2 YEARS old. Getting 76fps. Ping finally fixed since cable fixed. Game is just broken for those running GTX770, or INTEL cards I guess.

To my mind, the fact that it occurs after many patches until WG puts in a fix suggests that it is a memory leak due poor programming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,078 posts
3,886 battles
20 hours ago, Flemboy said:

By the way, do you all run Windows 10?

At the time of its release Microsoft got really sneaky, and the automatic windows updater did not give an Option. Just "When are you changing". After outcry (as 10 was bloody buggy) they stopped with it.

As result never got it. Anyone running Win 7 as I am? It could be that too.

My computer is 6 years old running Win 7,I heard about the sneaky stuff with Win 10 being added so I was careful to screen ALL the updates to keep it away from my system!

My computer is an Intel i7-2700k,16 GB ram,Asus GTX 580 with 2 x 1 TB HDD ( Windows on one drive and games on the other ).Only major thing I have had to do is re install windows a couple of months ago as the system was acting playing up and as I couldn't figure out why I just nuked it and did the re install.

Haven't had any problems running the game other than long load times into matches when the game itself gets a bit bloated file wise. Always hovers at 58FPS ( not sure why as it is vsynced to 60 ),and only dips if there is lag.

Only thing with what you said last post is try and install the Nvidia drivers without Nvidia Experience.I think I have heard there can be issues with it,although haven't really looked into what they are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SEARN]
Member
522 posts
8,036 battles
22 hours ago, Flemboy said:

Went to play today and catastrophic lockups again. IT is not the drivers. It isn't windows. Vanilla game install. Just shit patch.

Nothing wrong with the patch. If something was seriously wrong with the patch, do you think your thread here would be the only one complaining? The problem is your end. If you want some assistance in troubleshooting the issue stop blaming the patch when it is clearly not.

22 hours ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

hard to say what it is but it sounds like its on your end otherwise there would be multiple threads about it.

As Ralph said, there would be many more threads complaining about problems arising since the new patch. Funny thing is that there are not, so the problem is not the patch. End of story.

22 hours ago, Flemboy said:

So I have be unable to play this game properly since last patch. As I said, the machine IS NOT THAT OLD. 2 YEARS old. Getting 76fps. Ping finally fixed since cable fixed. Game is just broken for those running GTX770, or INTEL cards I guess.

To my mind, the fact that it occurs after many patches until WG puts in a fix suggests that it is a memory leak due poor programming

The age of your machine and frame rate is completely irrelevant. The health of the OS/registry and hardware components is much more important.

I run an Intel card. Gigabyte GTX 1060 G1 6GB with a mild OC. Zero issues running WOWS. My brother has an older Asus GTX 770, same model as yours, on his machine. Also zero problems with WOWS. Intel would be easily 50% plus of the market share in graphics cards installed in gaming PC's and laptops. If Intel cards have major problems with WOWS, as you have just stated, don't you think we would have heard something about this? But we haven't, except for your thread.

On 10/4/2017 at 9:34 PM, Flemboy said:

Also, and its bizarre, by my machine doesn't like the Orlan. Any mission played with Orlan falls over. Only ship it does it on.

Thank you all for the responses.

By the way, do you all run Windows 10?

Do you have any other games or programs that experience crashing or lockups? Even if it is only very occasionally. Interesting that your rig crashes on the Orlan more than any others. Look it could be any number of things but I would look at RAM and Video card. My bet from experience in having done this hundreds of times before would be one of these 2.

Download and run a memory diagnostic tool and run a detailed scan with it before you boot into windows. Also are you able to swap out the graphics card for another one (newer model AMD or Intel) to remove it from the list of usual suspects? If you don't have one, maybe from a friend who has a newer model card?

BTW I'm old school. I run Win 7 Pro. Not looking to change until I am forced to. Not real interested in these newer OS's that seem more built for touch screen use rather than a real desktop PC. I do have aDell Inspiron 15 7000 gaming laptop that has Win 10 on it. I can use it but I don't like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[AE]
Member
202 posts
9,618 battles

thank you for replies.

All I can say is that WG itself, on its support page specifically lists INTEL cards as having problems, and that the problems are going to be around for an indefinite period.

My machine runs all other games, including WoT fine

And I know, like it has on plenty of other occasions, a micro patch will be released and it will go back to no crashing. As stated

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[AE]
Member
202 posts
9,618 battles

and just because others don't mention crashing, doesn't mean its not happening, some may have just given up on the game, which is the point of the OP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
2,247 posts
13,950 battles

true. likewise just because you say it isn't your problem doesn't mean it isn't. WG seamlessly patches tens of thousands of computers every patch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SEARN]
Member
522 posts
8,036 battles
On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:20 PM, BanditSE1977 said:

Haven't had any problems running the game other than long load times into matches when the game itself gets a bit bloated file wise. Always hovers at 58FPS ( not sure why as it is vsynced to 60 ),and only dips if there is lag.

Quite easy to explain actually. If your GTX 580 cannot run the game with your current graphics settings and resolution, at above 60 FPS, then V-sync is going to do nothing.

V-sync simply locks the FPS to 60 when a game is running well above 60 FPS, to match the monitor refresh rate to reduce tearing and visual artefacts. However when a GPU cannot run a game at above 60 FPS, setting V-sync to on cannot give you a FPS increase. I wish it worked that way but it doesn't. The GPU simply cannot run the game any faster.

GTX 580 was an absolute beast of a card when it came out. I had one too. A lot has changed since 2010 though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,078 posts
3,886 battles
18 hours ago, HobartAWD said:

Quite easy to explain actually. If your GTX 580 cannot run the game with your current graphics settings and resolution, at above 60 FPS, then V-sync is going to do nothing.

V-sync simply locks the FPS to 60 when a game is running well above 60 FPS, to match the monitor refresh rate to reduce tearing and visual artefacts. However when a GPU cannot run a game at above 60 FPS, setting V-sync to on cannot give you a FPS increase. I wish it worked that way but it doesn't. The GPU simply cannot run the game any faster.

GTX 580 was an absolute beast of a card when it came out. I had one too. A lot has changed since 2010 though.

 

I think running V-Sync is more of a habit than anything else for me for the reason you mentioned.Just tried a game with it off,average 76 FPS with lowest drop to 66,might leave it off unless I have issues.

No probs running Warships though with most of the setting at full.I haven't bothered updating my computer due to no games being released the last few years that I am interested in( and none I am aware of to come ).At the moment I have only been playing WoWs,the Call of Cherynobyl mod for STALKER:Call of Pipyat,and just this week tried the STALKER Lost Alpha mod.Plus a bit of Mass Effect 1 PC.So nothing that needs more power than I have.

Have a couple of ships for Star Citizen since 2013,but since it looks like that game is going no where fast it be a while before I bother forking out for a new computer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
2,247 posts
13,950 battles
19 hours ago, HobartAWD said:

Quite easy to explain actually. If your GTX 580 cannot run the game with your current graphics settings and resolution, at above 60 FPS, then V-sync is going to do nothing.

V-sync simply locks the FPS to 60 when a game is running well above 60 FPS, to match the monitor refresh rate to reduce tearing and visual artefacts. However when a GPU cannot run a game at above 60 FPS, setting V-sync to on cannot give you a FPS increase. I wish it worked that way but it doesn't. The GPU simply cannot run the game any faster.

GTX 580 was an absolute beast of a card when it came out. I had one too. A lot has changed since 2010 though.

 

This is assuming the monitor has a refresh rate of 60 FPS. Many monitors exceed that now days. V-Sync is not a set number limit of 60 FPS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SEARN]
Member
522 posts
8,036 battles
2 minutes ago, keskparane said:

This is assuming the monitor has a refresh rate of 60 FPS. Many monitors exceed that now days. V-Sync is not a set number limit of 60 FPS.

Very true. Took a guess based on his system specs all being a similar age that the monitor would be also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SEARN]
Member
522 posts
8,036 battles
1 hour ago, BanditSE1977 said:

I think running V-Sync is more of a habit than anything else for me for the reason you mentioned.Just tried a game with it off,average 76 FPS with lowest drop to 66,might leave it off unless I have issues.

No probs running Warships though with most of the setting at full.I haven't bothered updating my computer due to no games being released the last few years that I am interested in( and none I am aware of to come ).At the moment I have only been playing WoWs,the Call of Cherynobyl mod for STALKER:Call of Pipyat,and just this week tried the STALKER Lost Alpha mod.Plus a bit of Mass Effect 1 PC.So nothing that needs more power than I have.

Have a couple of ships for Star Citizen since 2013,but since it looks like that game is going no where fast it be a while before I bother forking out for a new computer.

As a rule leave it off unless I am getting graphical glitches. It can definitely help in certain games though.

If it wasn't for games that needed much more powerful graphics, honestly I would have been happy to still have my GTX 580. Middle to high end PC gear, especially gaming orientated stuff is not cheap. I used to work in the PC building and upgrading/servicing field and was almost every year or 2 upgrading major components on my own PC just because it seemed the thing to do. The major bits of my current PC (except for the GTX 1060 and Neutron Xti SSD) are all over 4 years old and I am able to run every program I need and every game with max setting with great FPS.

If it is doing what you need it to do why upgrade? Upgrading for the sake of upgrading is a complete waste of time and money. Usually lots of money. :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by HobartAWD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SEARN]
Member
522 posts
8,036 battles
8 minutes ago, Harpoon01 said:

arent you the guy who brags about 1000$ PC?

Me? I don't think I brag about anything, what do you mean?

My PC cost a heck of a lot more than $1000, even over 4 years ago when i built it was well over $1000. $1000 here in Australia would only get you a potato PC if you are serious about gaming at decent FPS.

Edited by HobartAWD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×