You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

Too many BBs in random battles?

42 comments in this topic

350 posts
4,899 battles

The typical mix of ship types I see nowadays is 5-6 BB, 3-4 CA, 2-3 DD. Most battles have no CV, a few have 1x1, very rarely 2x2.

I'm not blaming wargaming. I blame myself and everyone else for playing BBs too often. MM can only parcel up what it is fed.

Why is having so many BBs bad? I think it slows the game down, it tends to restrict game tactics to "cruise and bombard", and lastly it feels unrealistic: 5 battleships screened by one destroyer is silly.

I had a game recently with 5 DD per side. That was fun, as DDs we could form up as wolfpacks. A lot of fast action at the front. It would be nice if we could get things down to having just 2-3 BB per side typically.

Please do your part: play a not-BB today!

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

I asked around in battle, some of them are trying to get the citadel hits for the oil mission. Maybe these guys are primarily HE spammers and rarely use AP or play BBs, so they are now looking for the easiest way to get cits in the last few days of the event.

*shrugs*

580 posts
1,602 battles
3 minutes ago, MatterCore said:

did you see this one?

:cap_wander::cap_wander::cap_wander: Enough BBs there to make me an old DD captain...

I only have one BB line (IJN) and two prem BBs that I take out occasionally... does that make me a good person?

[LBAS]
4,593 posts
26,039 battles
5 minutes ago, Kreigg said:

:cap_wander::cap_wander::cap_wander:Enough BBs there to make me an old DD captain...

I only have one BB line (IJN) and two prem BBs that I take out occasionally... does that make me a good person?

look no place for DDs

580 posts
1,602 battles
2 minutes ago, MatterCore said:

look no place for DDs

Ahahahaha... his reaction... checkers vs 4d chess... :Smile_teethhappy::Smile_teethhappy::Smile_teethhappy:

If it not for the CVs in this battle... This would make my DD captain pants shrink 2-3 sizes...

350 posts
4,899 battles
1 minute ago, Kamanah said:

Don't worry OP. Clan battles will be out soon. Your problem is solved.

T10 is above my pay grade. Just calling it as I see it down at T4-7.

Super Tester
7,779 posts
8,043 battles

Well, since you cannot control free will, there is probably no way around. I guess limiting BBs to 3 at most (just like 1 CV) for random battle could work. Also, instead of 12v12, a 10v10 system would free up some ships to normalize MM a bit more.

1,386 posts
8,358 battles

RN BB was released not long ago and that is a very highly anticipated line, most grinders (starting from usually Iron Duke due to the mission, and not using much free XP) are at Iron Duke to KGV. Also beginners are more likely to prefer BB due to preferences not related to gameplay.

Edited by HMS_Swiftsure_08

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,325 battles
1 hour ago, amade said:

I asked around in battle, some of them are trying to get the citadel hits for the oil mission. Maybe these guys are primarily HE spammers and rarely use AP or play BBs, so they are now looking for the easiest way to get cits in the last few days of the event.

*shrugs*

IFHE

[LNA]
1,697 posts
10,550 battles

I dont want to play BB much , but let face it , they are the class that needed the least amount of movement ( clicking , thinking , clicking , least WASD applied). The premium version of BBs are also the best credit grinders in the game ( Derpitz , Mi Mo, Small horse ,...). They take the least amount of energy , generally being lazy and lazy is equal to ease of use and entertainment as well as suitable for mindless grinding hours after hours.

Nailing someone for  30k - 50k worth of HP is always SASTIFYING and you only need a little aim to get it

Nowadays , i cant even play my favourite class which is CV because of the long que time and when i do click battle , all i get is a fishing union on the other side.

[151ST]
1,027 posts
4,691 battles
7 hours ago, legionary2099 said:

I dont want to play BB much , but let face it , they are the class that needed the least amount of movement ( clicking , thinking , clicking , least WASD applied). The premium version of BBs are also the best credit grinders in the game ( Derpitz , Mi Mo, Small horse ,...). They take the least amount of energy , generally being lazy and lazy is equal to ease of use and entertainment as well as suitable for mindless grinding hours after hours.

Nailing someone for  30k - 50k worth of HP is always SASTIFYING and you only need a little aim to get it

Nowadays , i cant even play my favourite class which is CV because of the long que time and when i do click battle , all i get is a fishing union on the other side.

AS CVs everywhere (when we even see them)... Yeah well CV problem is a CV problem. AA is too good now and AS is too good over Strike so BBs get free reign.

Add to that DDs/CAs require far more skill to get good results and yeah, of course BBs are common...

Edited by S4pp3R

1,105 posts

well, only in BB you can read manga/watch TV, eating biscuit or dinner and drink cola after stressfull work without worry about anything....

play DD = deal 0 damage

play CA = deal 10K~45K damage

play BB = 30K~80K damage

play CV = 60K~100K damage

hmmm..... lets pick BB instead of DD or CA

why not pick CV?....

Coz you cannt read manga or watch anime when playing CV

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,928 battles
9 hours ago, legionary2099 said:

It was,

But I'm now more satisfied with raining 5k every 8 secs plus a crapton of fires.

Burn 'em. Burn 'em. Burn 'em.

Beta Tester
629 posts
6,927 battles

I also prefer battles with large numbers of DD's as well - I personally think in an ideal world a team of 1 BB, 3 CA's and 8 DD's would make for the most interesting battles.  Having said that, that wouldn't work well for game balance.

14 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Well, since you cannot control free will, there is probably no way around. I guess limiting BBs to 3 at most (just like 1 CV) for random battle could work. Also, instead of 12v12, a 10v10 system would free up some ships to normalize MM a bit more.

Of course you can control how many BB's are played - you just make BB's less attractive to play.  Make it so mistakes are punished more, or it's generally more difficult to play BB's and be successful.  Less people will want to play BB's in this situation and the game will be better for it.  If you have to limit the number of ships in a battle, then you have failed at balancing and are just applying a band-aid. Of course there is a soft cap of 5 BB's per team (this is only exceeded in an MM dump), which means that the balance is even more out of whack than it looks.  If there was no soft cap, 6-7 BB's per team would be commonplace.

205 posts
11,854 battles

Guess I'm the only one who enjoy playing BB seeing 5k-15k damage on DDs.:cap_haloween:
When you play BB you rarely get deleted by anything unlike others you have armor, huge pool of hp and lastly repair as your safeguard to make some mistake.
Combine those with the firepower they have all you need now is just a good DD/CV on your team and volla.

I don't really know how they are going to make it less attractive to play though. They are very easy to get into. Not much to think at all. Go to key position Make your appearance

Hit those citadels or hit as much as you can and you already cripple most ships in the game with just that. done

Maybe WoWS could starts with getting DDs scale down right to make DDs harder to hit. Let's face it most BB drivers know how to aim now. They all hit DDs left and right every game.

You might think hitting a DD from 12-15km is "close range" for a BB but its not "close" for a DD. Nerfing BB maneuverability is not a good idea it just encourage more bow tanking tactic.

Nerfing Anti Air firepower on BB sounds about right for this situation right now. GIVE BACK ANTI AIR ROLE FOR CRUISER PLEASE.

Video Contributor
2,282 posts
10,924 battles

Once time 11bbs each team and 1 cv

i would be a cv in that game and deal enemy cv do not send you FT to fight :cap_cool:

more bbs just use CV to counter :cap_book:

Super Tester
7,779 posts
8,043 battles
1 hour ago, Moggytwo said:

I also prefer battles with large numbers of DD's as well - I personally think in an ideal world a team of 1 BB, 3 CA's and 8 DD's would make for the most interesting battles.  Having said that, that wouldn't work well for game balance.

Of course you can control how many BB's are played - you just make BB's less attractive to play.  Make it so mistakes are punished more, or it's generally more difficult to play BB's and be successful.  Less people will want to play BB's in this situation and the game will be better for it.  If you have to limit the number of ships in a battle, then you have failed at balancing and are just applying a band-aid. Of course there is a soft cap of 5 BB's per team (this is only exceeded in an MM dump), which means that the balance is even more out of whack than it looks.  If there was no soft cap, 6-7 BB's per team would be commonplace.

But forcing them to be unattractive means you are putting unnecessary nerfs upon a whole class out of no reason. Now, players like me, who love battleships, will never agree upon unjust nerfs, ie you cannot say turn Montana AP damage to 6k, or remove the belt armor so that she eats more damage, or increase reload to 1 minute. Just not right. So, you technically have to look on the economic side. Increase the repair cost for battles where BB player didn't contribute much. Devs need to redefine the logic of contribution of each ship class. For this reason I think implementing a hard cap with reduced team size is not so much of a bad idea. You can get games faster and more games. Although may be WG set that limit to keep server performance in check.

And I have had 8 DD matches before. It is not good. Usually ends up with steamroll or stalling games. You need tankers (battleships) and hit and run (cruisers) units to make it more dynamic. DDs will just sit around caps and spam torps.

Edited by icy_phoenix

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,325 battles
7 hours ago, _Sammich_ said:

I'd rather five BB in a game, rather than 5 DDs.  At least with BBs you know where they are, and you not going to get invisi-torped from everywhere...

That moment when Shimakaze fishing fleet sends you 15 torps from left, front and right. GGWP

1,105 posts
1 hour ago, icy_phoenix said:

But forcing them to be unattractive means you are putting unnecessary nerfs upon a whole class out of no reason. Now, players like me, who love battleships, will never agree upon unjust nerfs, ie you cannot say turn Montana AP damage to 6k, or remove the belt armor so that she eats more damage, or increase reload to 1 minute.

WG dont NEED TO NERF BB.... BUFF CA firepower (reduce reload time by 33% and 10% more range) and give CA #nerfed repair party with 10% heal only but can recover 50% from citadel damage. RNCL and Atago not included

about DD, INCREASE SHELL DISPERSION THAT FIRING FROM more than 10km by 50%

CV?

- INCREASE SPOTTING RANGE OF PLANE.... NO MORE INVIS AA!!!

- nerf DD AA

- AA is blocked by ISLAND

- AA REDUCED BY 90% inside the smoke

problem solved

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,325 battles

Honestly, DDs are in a sad state now. Any decent BB driver can rain shots around where you are going. And if they fire AP, all it takes is one lucky pen and gg 4k HP gone.

Beta Tester
629 posts
6,927 battles
1 hour ago, icy_phoenix said:

But forcing them to be unattractive means you are putting unnecessary nerfs upon a whole class out of no reason. Now, players like me, who love battleships, will never agree upon unjust nerfs, ie you cannot say turn Montana AP damage to 6k, or remove the belt armor so that she eats more damage, or increase reload to 1 minute. Just not right. So, you technically have to look on the economic side. Increase the repair cost for battles where BB player didn't contribute much. Devs need to redefine the logic of contribution of each ship class. For this reason I think implementing a hard cap with reduced team size is not so much of a bad idea. You can get games faster and more games. Although may be WG set that limit to keep server performance in check.

Clearly the nerfs would be necessary, that's the whole point of the discussion.  BB's are too good, and too easy to play, hence they are the most popular class. They need to reward skilled play and punish bad play, just like the other classes do.  Raising citadels on all BB's would be a great start - if you go broadside in a BB, you should be at significant risk of citadels at any range.  But if you angle well, you'll take no more damage than now.  Make it so that using the wrong ammo type is punishing where you do very little damage when using the wrong type for the situation, but you do excellent damage (see previous citadel point, and the upcoming removal of DD AP reg pens) when you pick correctly.  They could even buff expert loader to 60-70% to reinforce this.

And I have had 8 DD matches before. It is not good. Usually ends up with steamroll or stalling games. You need tankers (battleships) and hit and run (cruisers) units to make it more dynamic. DDs will just sit around caps and spam torps.

Static matches are not down to ship types - they're down to players.  You can make a dynamic match in every ship type, but if enough captains in a battle are too scared to risk their ship, then you get static gameplay.