Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

Where is the New Mexico killzone?

7 comments in this topic

315 posts
4,638 battles

In a close range N. Mex. vs. N. Mex fight, where's the best place to aim your shells? (assuming a near-broadside target)

N. Mex. armor layout is a very low citadel with a very thick armor belt directly above it, then the four heavily armored barbettes under each turret.

Can the 14" shells penetrate through the belt armor into the citadel, or does one have to aim under the waterline? It going for the turret magazines a better strategy?

I ask because despite being in a good position and landing plenty of shells amidships, I still could not do enough damage to finish off the enemy N. Mex before he got me. It was a close thing, but he in got the killing volley.

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,245 battles
3 minutes ago, Rina_Pon said:

In a close range N. Mex. vs. N. Mex fight, where's the best place to aim your shells? (assuming a near-broadside target)

N. Mex. armor layout is a very low citadel with a very thick armor belt directly above it, then the four heavily armored barbettes under each turret.

Can the 14" shells penetrate through the belt armor into the citadel, or does one have to aim under the waterline? It going for the turret magazines a better strategy?

I ask because despite being in a good position and landing plenty of shells amidships, I still could not do enough damage to finish off the enemy N. Mex before he got me. It was a close thing, but he in got the killing volley.

Here's a tip for you. Try to do more damage, and reduced the amount of damage you take. Try to angle your shots and make it more extreme when he fires (Anticipate and turn before he fires), then fire your broadside into his broadside. You don't need to aim for citadels imo. At close range, your shots might end up landing too far before and dealing no damage. Just aim for as many penetrations as you can. If all your stuff pens, 20k shouldn't be a problem, and that is great for a 1v1 duel.

83 posts
3,463 battles

The general rule of thumb with every ship is aim at midship waterline (with same class of ship) if aiming at a broadside and not present a flat broadside yourself even if it means not using all your guns

315 posts
4,638 battles
On 9/28/2017 at 7:51 PM, Ralgon_1 said:

Assuming this data is still relevant (it is a year old....) yes

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/59528-armor-penetration-curves/?do=findComment&comment=1234769

That indeed answers my question. (Any BB caliber shell is going to punch through 400 mm+ below 10 km, near twice that point blank.) Much obliged.

Sign in to follow this