Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Kreigg

To Free XP my way to Emerald/Leander or not?

20 comments in this topic

580 posts
1,587 battles

Good day fellow Captains :Smile_honoring:

I'm kind of on the fence here about this decision. See I've recently started a new line of Cruisers now that I've learned to appreciate (sunk alot by) British Cruisers and their friggin' AP.

I'm primarily a CL guy with specialization of the Cleveland being my most favorite and most played ship in the game according to stats and I've had settled in enjoying the Myoko and the Yorck as well and it's gonna be a long while until I get the next tiers being that I am a working man after all.

My problem is that now that I've unlocked the T3 Caledon, getting into matches in Random is not as frequent as in T7... I think it has to do with low player population at the beginning tiers. Honestly waiting for a match for 5-10mins only to reap so little (no premium account) is putting me at my wits end...

At least I'm having a joy when I sail in these English tubs... Honestly they're like squishy dodgey Clevelands but with APs that actually work better and not made by NASA

I've a few hundred Ks of Free XP that I primarily use to unlock Hull upgrades... but I digress, should I just be patient about it? or Free XP my way to at least T5 or 6??

Thank you for the read and good hunting! :Smile_honoring:

580 posts
1,587 battles
Just now, kultabashi said:

Hi Captain! If you have the XP go for it, personally... I found the Brit cruisers to be much more fun from tier 5 up:)

Oi! Kapitan! haven't seen you in awhile... :cap_book:

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

I used free xp to go straight to Emerald, but I soon realized I should've taken that extra step and gone to Leander.

Maybe even Fiji.

580 posts
1,587 battles
6 minutes ago, AntifoulAwl said:

I used free xp to go straight to Emerald, but I soon realized I should've taken that extra step and gone to Leander.

Maybe even Fiji.

It so tempting for me to go to T6 right away but I'm also torn between "Nation mastery but really bad MM" and "jumping the gun too soon"

5 minutes ago, FishyPower said:

Remember Nelson and Missouri need free exp so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not really a BB kind of guy but we've all seen Yuro's vid about the Missouri... May try UK BBs soon but after I get my own tsundere Nagato...

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,263 battles
9 minutes ago, Kreigg said:

It so tempting for me to go to T6 right away but I'm also torn between "Nation mastery but really bad MM" and "jumping the gun too soon"

I'm not really a BB kind of guy but we've all seen Yuro's vid about the Missouri... May try UK BBs soon but after I get my own tsundere Nagato...

Missouri is a great prem credit grinder from what I heard, so learning to play BBs might be worth it for that alone

580 posts
1,587 battles
4 minutes ago, FishyPower said:

Missouri is a great prem credit grinder from what I heard, so learning to play BBs might be worth it for that alone

Yep, what you heard is true... The thing has money written all over it even on defeats... She's like to only high tier ship made to break the current economy...

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,263 battles
Just now, Kreigg said:

Yep, what you heard is true... The thing has money written all over it even on defeats... She's like to only high tier ship made to break the current economy...

Yep, I'm halfway to her. I'll just cash some and get prem camo for GK and then get the Missouri

1,490 posts

Even though I'm battleship main , I also play cruisers, it helps me to gain knowledge on how they operate, & its also refreshing actually grinding, so I've got caledon, & I am grinding it... I find it actually a fun ship, as you say it takes a bit to get used to no HE...

I'm saving my free XP for Nelson, & I'm also grinding Iron Duke.... 

Keeps the interest up, instead of skipping ships, when you do that, you sorta take the fun out.... So I base my opinion on how ships are by my own experience....

Have fun

Ordrazz

Edited by Ordrazz

83 posts
3,463 battles

I agree with Ordz, I've always preferred playing my way through ships.
You never know if you might enjoy one of the ones you end up skipping.
I've only used free XP once to move onto a new ship, and that was the ranked season before the one just gone, so I could use Schors and Fiji and not be stuck using only a Gneisenau. But even then I was only like 20-30k off reaching the next one for each

580 posts
1,587 battles
36 minutes ago, Ordrazz said:

Even though I'm battleship main , I also play cruisers, it helps me to gain knowledge on how they operate, & its also refreshing actually grinding, so I've got caledon, & I am grinding it... I find it actually a fun ship, as you say it takes a bit to get used to no HE...

I'm saving my free XP for Nelson, & I'm also grinding Iron Duke.... 

Keeps the interest up, instead of skipping ships, when you do that, you sorta take the fun out.... So I base my opinion on how ships are by my own experience....

Have fun

Ordrazz

17 minutes ago, hughfj08 said:

I agree with Ordz, I've always preferred playing my way through ships.
You never know if you might enjoy one of the ones you end up skipping.
I've only used free XP once to move onto a new ship, and that was the ranked season before the one just gone, so I could use Schors and Fiji and not be stuck using only a Gneisenau. But even then I was only like 20-30k off reaching the next one for each

I agree with what you two say, normally I would never skip a ship or two since I prefer class and nation mastery over anything else. . Heck I even grinded through the Karlsruhe, Pre-buff Furutaka and the Kawachi. . but that was when Low tier battles were so easy to find for MM. . but now MM is having difficulty trying to find players at Tier 3 range that the wait usually lasts 5-10mins occasionally 15mins even. . and ending up in a 6v6 match doesn't yield much even with first win of the day bonus. . i really do not mind grinding but it's getting really innefficient as of late. . If i skip T4 and straight onto T5 (although MM will put me in +2) at least getting in a battle will be easy enough. . Win or Lose I just wanna land a good fight. .

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,263 battles
1 minute ago, Kreigg said:

I agree with what you two say, normally I would never skip a ship or two since I prefer class and nation mastery over anything else. . Heck I even grinded through the Karlsruhe, Pre-buff Furutaka and the Kawachi. . but that was when Low tier battles were so easy to find for MM. . but now MM is having difficulty trying to find players at Tier 3 range that the wait usually lasts 5-10mins occasionally 15mins even. . and ending up in a 6v6 match doesn't yield much even with first win of the day bonus. . i really do not mind grinding but it's getting really innefficient as of late. . If i skip T4 and straight onto T5 (although MM will put me in +2) at least getting in a battle will be easy enough. . Win or Lose I just wanna land a good fight. .

Do PvE. Honestly, I'd think free exp to T4 is fine. T4 to T5 is too expensive imo. T4 to T5 is 20k and that is EXPENSIVE.

580 posts
1,587 battles
2 minutes ago, FishyPower said:

Do PvE. Honestly, I'd think free exp to T4 is fine. T4 to T5 is too expensive imo. T4 to T5 is 20k and that is EXPENSIVE.

So PvE like a madman then?

440 posts
3,379 battles

After going through the emerald. It's not as bad as people say, it's just that she's a really average ship compared to the ships that she'll face. Good thing is that she has smoke to save herself (or deploy it to others). I've had my moments where she was really amazing and moments where it goes "welp, back to port I guess". And, this is just me but I'm quite against frexp-ing a ship just to get the next one, you won't know the one that other people say is trash maybe a gem to you. :Smile_Default:

(Emerald is the only ship that I specify because she's pretty much the ship where if you ask people to grind or frexp, people will choose the latter. Caledon and Danae are still protected by MM so people are kinda 50/50 about frexp-ing them, and that they're quick to grind through)

Edited by rouge42
Why do I find it bothersome that I didn't put a period at the end?

Super Tester
7,548 posts
7,993 battles
5 hours ago, FishyPower said:

You earn tons of credits with Missouri even without any bonus in a Co-Op. That's right, Co-Op.

Nelson is pretty normal premium ship.

But if you don't like Iowa, you won't like Missouri either.

To OP, do it. Free XP is not that hard to grind. Missouri is not as fun as uk cls. Besides, may be you won't need credits?

1,341 posts
8,858 battles

I am of the opinion that it is best to play through ships, don't skip them.

Playing the ships can be good training for future ships down the line, and who knows, you may even grow to like the ship.

Skip with free xp only if you absolutely hate the ship. Even then it might be better to save your free xp and just grind the ship in coop. At the low tiers coop grinds don't take very long.

Edited by Thyaliad

260 posts
4,654 battles

I am a play it all captain. Even though I already gotten my Leander directly through mission, I still slowly earn every ship before that. Another reason is because I am saving for Missouri, 200K more...

Sign in to follow this