Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
JarofVegemite

Sorry is the hardest word

14 comments in this topic

28 posts
3,043 battles

Just had an incident in a game today that made me think about how many players (esp low tiers, but not exclusively) use their torps.

I mostly play DD's but have never TK'ed anyone. That's probably hurt my performance, as I am likely missing out on some potential damage caused, but I refuse to fire torps where they might hit a friendly. And so far, no disasters, although it will no doubt happen someday...

I have, though, been TK'ed a number of times (although only once would I regard it as being deliberate), and hit by friendly torps a hell of a lot more. Today I was torped by a friendly cruiser about 5kms behind me, whilst sitting in my smoke. Wasn't impressed :cap_win:

However not once has anyone in game ever apologised for hitting me. Ok. it's the Asian server, many players likely don't speak English. But on the few occasions when I've asked wtf the player was doing (and I don't bother asking anymore), the answer has always been the same; it was my fault. It was my fault for being in their path of their torps.

Most of the time this is from cruisers (I have learned to become very wary around friendly Tenryu's...), usually firing at targets well outside their torp range. As a DD, trying to focus both on what's in front and behind you ain't easy. But the lack of any response in chat leads me to think most players do genuinely think it is someone else's fault if they get hit by their torps. That they are just blindly firing along the estimated path, and everything else that might subsequently happen ain't their problem.

I don't think the answer is increased TK penalties, as people seem to complain enough about those as is, but definitely players need to be somehow taught in-game how better to use their torps. Some sort of obligatory torpedo school for players who hit enough friendlies, and at least something to show that firing along the white line isn't foolproof, for instance. Yeah, its hardly gonna solve every instance of this happening, but right now its really common at lower tiers. And a real pain in the arse to deal with tbh.

460 posts
8,358 battles

I'm glad to hear that you're more careful. It doesn't happen so much after you get out of the beginning tiers. I think the best thing to do is lead by example, by apologising if you do something like accidentally ram or torp someone. For people who don't, I tend to throw a report their way for being stupid.

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,279 battles

The less maneuverable ship has the right of way. So if you ram your DD into a BB, its more or less your fault. The guy can be a noob for overextending, you if you rammed into him, it's your fault. For torps, typically within 2km, its the launchers fault, outside that, the driver's fault

1,107 posts
7,849 battles

Well, when you switch to torpedo

the in-game lock mechanism triggered - regardless of range

on Guns, when target is not in range you cant lock into it either

this coupled with lack of statistic info in port, might cause new player to overestimate the range of their torps

28 posts
3,043 battles
1 hour ago, Sparcie said:

I'm glad to hear that you're more careful. It doesn't happen so much after you get out of the beginning tiers. I think the best thing to do is lead by example, by apologising if you do something like accidentally ram or torp someone. For people who don't, I tend to throw a report their way for being stupid.

Does reporting do anything? I mean, other than knocking a players Karma down, but thats utterly meaningless anyway.

83 posts
3,463 battles

I think it only matters when I large portion of the players (at least on one team) report a player, otherwise whatever excuse for a moderator there is will ignore it. Even if its taken notice of, it's largely pointless.

460 posts
8,358 battles
1 hour ago, JarofVegemite said:

Does reporting do anything? I mean, other than knocking a players Karma down, but thats utterly meaningless anyway.

Not really much, If they have public statistics everyone will see the low karma and that's about it. Might help you feel a little better though.

64 posts
3,175 battles

I haven't been accidentally torped in a while, but back when I was new I do recall times when I didn't even know what was happening. You'd launch torps out somewhere, you get some hits on an ally somewhere but the message is easily lost if you're in battle.

If it happens these days I usually try to warn the other player and apologise before they're hit. A huge majority of the time they take evasive action - but of course you could only ever warn them if you type fast. Only really happens in some cases if you tunnel vision for a torp snipe to a smoke ball or something and some allies outside your frustrum decide to push out in the meantime, but in the Asia meta it's not common that anybody will be ahead of DD's... that's why CA's get most of the flak for second line torping accidents.

Super Tester
7,578 posts
8,005 battles

First of all, it's a common behavior from people mostly playing Japanese ships and it will last up to mid tiers. God knows how dreadful time we have passed during the arp myoko freebies. These players are reluctant enough to not even read their torp range, and you expect apologies from them?

We even had a running joke in discord community that Asian Japanese DD/CA players can't see green on their screen.

I don't think anything can be done about this, especially it mostly happens in low tiers. Just keep your distance if you notice pink players or players with torpedo syndrome.

425 posts

I have almost always said sorry.  When I haven't, it has been the other guys fault who turned around 180 degrees

But, in response to the distressing amount of that happening, I've started to highlight on the mini the torp path that I am laying.

Hope that helps people.

260 posts
4,654 battles
2 hours ago, BunnyDragon said:

I have almost always said sorry.  When I haven't, it has been the other guys fault who turned around 180 degrees

But, in response to the distressing amount of that happening, I've started to highlight on the mini the torp path that I am laying.

Hope that helps people.

I do warn others if I see that they are crossing my torp path, but whether they see it in the chat is a different thing. perhaps ping on the minimap is another way (If i have time). I do say "sorry" most of the times, since it is not hard to type one and it is a courteous way of playing in game. Like you do, I don't expect they to reply, it is not their obligation either. Make this server better by doing it ourselves, some will get the habit in the end.

11 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

First of all, it's a common behavior from people mostly playing Japanese ships and it will last up to mid tiers. God knows how dreadful time we have passed during the arp myoko freebies. These players are reluctant enough to not even read their torp range, and you expect apologies from them?

It is quite common in the lower tiers that people do not care about the torp range. I recently has an Omaha fires its torp (5.5km) at a 7km ship, when I was very close in front of him. I was alerted enough to immediately sail away, and asked him in chat, but no reply. Not sure if the torps are defensive torps to scare ships away (if they turn in) or he did not know the range.

425 posts

Also, in regards to torps being laid out on ships out of range, I do that quite often. 

It's how I get most of my ship torp hits. As the enemy doesn't realize that I've already fired into him as "I'm out of range".

If the ship is running away, then it's useless, but if you see me pushing in or kiting from an enemy push, expect torps to come from me if I can

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

Sometimes I see friendly torps coming my way I just sail into them if I've already got some decent damage in the game. And then say sorry afterwards.

Not my pink name not my problem ehehe

To be fair, at lower tiers this seems to happen quite often. Mostly seems to go away around tier 6 but comes back at 8. Not that it annoys me, but maybe there should be a quick command for torpedoes coming your way? Or perhaps they can roll team-killing penalties as part of the tutorial missions? Though amusing to watch, there ought to be something done to remedy the issue...

Sign in to follow this