Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ahwai82

Giving up playing iron duke

21 comments in this topic

[LYNMF]
991 posts
11,618 battles

few min in cv torp me to death, rinse and repeat every match

cant keep up with T7 because too damn slow, scream for help but nobody bothered and just become easy meat for cv

i give up, no point playing anymore

[LYNMF]
991 posts
11,618 battles
30 minutes ago, Skarhabek said:

play CV bro, problem solved...

please guide me to be the ultimate cv player..your story is always cool and informative

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

Back to helping OP, maybe try playing in divisions? More coordinated support, and even more so if your div mate plays AS Bogue. Plus, you get anchored matchmaking.

Or... you can find yourself a friendly AA cruiser to stick close with. The clevelands make good AA cover (provided their AA guns haven't been roasted to a crisp by HE spamming UKBBs).

460 posts
8,352 battles

CVs are one of her weaknesses, standard anti-cv tactics apply. Roll with your team mates, don't be isolated, target torpedo planes to boost AA, and be aware and dodge as best you can. Sometimes just being a difficult target to hit is enough to put a CV off chasing you. Other times all you can do is kiss yourself goodbye.

When I get annoyed with CV players I play a ship they tend to avoid like the Texas to give myself a chance to have a decent game without them giving me a hard time.

[BRU]
309 posts
11,163 battles
47 minutes ago, cplbao said:

Iron duke is a piece of trash. Flag it up and rush for QE asap. Then sell it

I think QE is more trash than Iron Duke to be honest.

318 posts
6,878 battles
56 minutes ago, cplbao said:

Iron duke is a piece of trash. Flag it up and rush for QE asap. Then sell it

QE was a dire ship. Free XP past that struggle bus.

19 posts
8,896 battles
4 hours ago, Skarhabek said:

play CV bro, problem solved...

Shut up and go sit in the corner amateur. I have yet to meet your CV in battle yet but I can guarantee you wont like it.

353 posts
5,015 battles
39 minutes ago, Kamanah said:

QE was a dire ship. Free XP past that struggle bus.

I honestly think QE is still less trashy than iron duke. Better AA, better speed. Though of course the grand plan is a KGV

1,348 posts
8,872 battles

Too bad you can't grind through the Iron Duke in PvE scenarios now. :Smile_sceptic: 

Just stack exp flags and camos and play it only during the xp bonus weekends. Since it is tier 5 you should be done with it pretty fast.

9 posts
7 hours ago, cplbao said:

I honestly think QE is still less trashy than iron duke. Better AA, better speed. Though of course the grand plan is a KGV

that 180 turn on the gun is the killer imo, will make make both rubbish (i'm half way to QE).  You really have to commit to sailing facing 1 side for the battle once the shooting starts or gimp damage

don't bother asking for help, wait to see where the crowd is sailing and stick to it or find an island to hide around!  And it's the pub crowd, my biggest issue is my ca and dd never seem to want to take on enemy dd's at strike range of our group, so i end up course changing regular to avoid torps and feeding into the gun swivel issue.

It also doesn't help that i seem to be paired vs an huge amount of t6-7's, the extra range they have...............is disheartening, to say the least

Edited by Ralgon_1

158 posts
3,374 battles
13 hours ago, ahwai82 said:

few min in cv torp me to death, rinse and repeat every match

cant keep up with T7 because too damn slow, scream for help but nobody bothered and just become easy meat for cv

i give up, no point playing anymore

Despite the Iron Duke being a good ship, she does suffer against competent CV's, multiple CV's and higher tier CV's- all of which she'll face in almost every game.

It's pretty common to be focused fired on by CV's early in the game and despite early evasion she will almost always lose a large amount of health. You just have to try and stick close to cruisers or any ships with reasonable AA and hope they don't target you. 

Sure, it's not a fast ship, but it will easily out run a Texas or New York. Put a Sierra Mike flag on and you'll notice a difference. 

I really want to love the Iron Duke, and it is a genuinely good ship, but the matchmaking is just killing it. Of the 34 games in mine so far, 27 of them have been T7 games. :etc_swear:.  My New York & Konig have not come anywhere close to having such consistently bad matchmaking.

158 posts
3,374 battles
58 minutes ago, Ralgon_1 said:

that 180 turn on the gun is the killer imo, will make make both rubbish (i'm half way to QE).  You really have to commit to sailing facing 1 side for the battle once the shooting starts or gimp damage

don't bother asking for help, wait to see where the crowd is sailing and stick to it or find an island to hide around!  And it's the pub crowd, my biggest issue is my ca and dd never seem to want to take on enemy dd's at strike range of our group, so i end up course changing regular to avoid torps and feeding into the gun swivel issue.

It also doesn't help that i seem to be paired vs an huge amount of t6-7's, the extra range they have...............is disheartening, to say the least

The turn time on the turrets is horrendous, but if there was ever a time to use the +15% rotation upgrade module, this is the ship. With the turret rotation boost and a commander with expert marksman, you can pretty much nullify the poor turret rotation.

Of course, the trade off is a 5% extra reload time- which for the Iron Duke is a whopping 1 second. For this ship and QE I find it's definitely worth it. 

[LYNMF]
991 posts
11,618 battles

thank you guys

Y'day was the worst, dragged into T7 with double CV, spawned not at a good side as well just try to join up with others but once get spotted by cv i knew cv coming for me. So the saipan does come for me with 2 TB squad and take so much health away :(

In the end does nothing much being burned alive and another of the cv finish me off.

What a pain to play this ship, the constant T7 + cv doesnt help.

219 posts
11,605 battles

Had harder time in iron duke thats for sure. I generally equip 15% turret rotation on british ships which helps a lot in shooting during turns. Use half rudder unless evading torps. Try to mislead cv's drop using tight turns with ultra super late braking

460 posts
8,352 battles

I didn't have much trouble with the turret rotation despite only taking EM. I spose that could be down to having played the old-pre-buff Warspite.

Basically use your maneuverability to get you guns on target quicker, as a bonus it also throws off enemies aim. Just be sure not to show broadside in the process. She does have nice firing arcs so you don't have to expose yourself too much to shoot. I found the Iron Duke does fairly good damage most of the time if you select the right ammo, in fact I think it's HE (as well as orions) is probably a little OP.  She has fairly decent armour and less vulnerable area on the bow, so angling should have some effect even at T7, I even managed to push with some T7 BBs a few times.

I didn't have much luck with WR in her, but the MM was flooded with people grinding them when I played her most. In fact Iron Duke is still one of the most played ships because people are still grinding. I ended up grinding her and Queen Elizabeth in scenario mode the most because of how nuts PvP was at the time. Being in T7 games wouldn't be that great, but at least you can spam the heck out of HE.

219 posts
11,605 battles

imo getting the guns to accurately fire while turning sharply during running is pretty challenging for someone who's never played British BB line like me. In the iron duke I am opined that constant accurate firing is needed to at least deter the enemy during your impossible escape or to re-position yourself out of harms way. I just only finished iron duke recently and had my first battle with QE.

Sign in to follow this