You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Bengal_Tiger23

Scharnhorst, Warspite, I done a bad, bad thing? Lol

43 comments in this topic

201 posts
1,732 battles

Hi Everyone. (Guys & Girls)

Background:-

I am a "Newbie" only up to tier3 Co-Op battles, tier1&2 Co-Op and Random Battles.

This weekend, naughty WG made me a special offer on a number of "premium" ships at quite a reasonable price. I truly wasn't going to buy. --Really and truly-----. But I thought I would take a look. Well Gosh, Darn it, the Scharnhorst, "caught my eye." Resistance lowered.:cap_hmm: Noticed Doubloon's and Slots included with offer. Resistance Futile.:Smile_facepalm: So yes, I bought it with the thought that I could squirrel it away for when I got more playing experience. Admired it in port. You know, caressed it, patted it, "You lovely thing you", then went back to playing tiers 1, 2 and 3. So far so good.  

Well... Before------- going out to dinner with my brother and his wife, I decided to take Scharnhorst for a run in Co-Op. Suuuurprise. I didn't make a goose of myself. :Smile_ohmy:  Whilst driving home, I started thinking about a lot of things concerning Co-Op battles and how I can use it to advantage.

It does appear to me that it is the perfect venue for the new/any player to get to know their ship and many of the nuances of the game. Regardless if it is tier 1 or the huge jump to tier 7. Further more, learning about the systems of the ship and just how the ship reacts to what ever you do with it is so important. How to equip it and what the effect is. What the different signal flags do and their effect. The effect of the guns combined with your knowledge of gunnery and how you should adjust. How to fire your Torpedoes. And the use of your scout aircraft.

So far I am learning about the ships handling, how its speed can help you in battle, positioning for best gunnery. --Those eleven inch guns--, the dispersion and lack of penetration I have found to be difficult to deal with, but Scharnhorst's rapid rate of fire and a combination of salvo fire and broadside at the right time, is starting to show results. Torpedoes are taking a bit of time to learn about. Yes I did "Team kill", and it wasn't a bot unfortunately. Lesson:- Don't use torp's in a close quarters combat melee and keep your eyes open for fast moving team mates. Scout plane is a bit easier. I am tending not to use it too early when there is a carrier on my team. I use it now at the start if no one else launches theirs or to increase my gunnery range if I suspect there is a target left within range of my guns, but outside view range towards the end of the game.

As well as the forgoing, it is a good place to build up your captains experience. I currently have 2 ships captains racing each other to complete level 5. Kapitanleutnant Stefan Zimmer in the Scharnhorst and Lieutenant Commander Henry Ward in the Warspite.

Oh the Warspite. Forgot to tell you about her. Another time perhaps. Suffice to say, I am doing the same with her.

What's that you say, "Bad Bengal Tiger you should not have bought another premium".:Smile_facepalm:

I say, "What Rot. Are you mad. It's The Warspite. She's a British Battleship old chap. God save the Queen and all that. ":cap_tea:

Finally, "At last you say." You commanders in the higher tier's, I am not going to go waltzing around in random battles with these 2 ships creating havoc, until I'm sure I can at least make a good contribution. Besides I am having stacks of fun in bot territory.

From the bridge of the Warspite.

A fond Farewell for now.

Alex

B_T23

PS:- Your comments on my approach above are more than welcome. There is so much to learn in this game. Cheer's

Mods:- If I have posted in the wrong area of this forum, please relocate as you see fit. I thought it a bit long winded and to random for the Newcomers section. B_T23

31 posts
1,137 battles

The marketing department can be very convincing can't they....

Those silver tongued devils got me too-a never to be repeated whizz bang u bewt mega bargain that was the Derpitz! Ah well have fun your shiney new pixels damn you WG! (virtually slaps their botty) :cap_yes:

460 posts
8,358 battles

They are both quite nice ships. There's no issue with you snapping up a deal if you're happy.

Practice in Co-op is fine, but you'll miss the knowledge that only grinding the tech tree in randoms will bring. By all means continue having fun in these in co-op until you're ready, but make sure you continue grinding relevant ships in randoms so you start to get the hang of things there. Scenario mode is an option for Warspite that is harder but still against bots, so that might be something worth trying when it becomes available to you. Playing random battles is quite different to the Co-op mode.

I think it's best to have a go at all the different ship classes in the low tiers at the very least, so you get an idea of what each class faces and how it plays. It will help you pick the ships that best suite your play style in future.

201 posts
1,732 battles

Hi Guy's.

I must apologise for not replying earlier to you all. Unfortunately my old PC has decided it is a good time too have a "hissy fit". So, in the Voice of Darth Vader;- "You have failed me for the last time PC & Windows". Well today I Thru my dummy in the dirt and ordered a replacement ubeaut Whiz Bang PC With a SSD Hard drive. So hopefully I should have no further trouble. (Famous Last words) I pick it up next week.

Hi Magical.

Yes, they certainly got me! Lol. Actually, How do you find the Tirpitz? I have on my mantle piece in front of me, a model of her sister ship, The Bismarck in 1/350th scale. A lovely ship. I certainly would have been tempted if she was amongst the offers.

:Smile_facepalm:(Now Bengal, remember you have to pay for your new computer and a small expense. Your Rego on the Flaming car). ---- Oh my. But its the Tirpitz. Oh Well.

Hi Sparcie.

Thankyou for your comments. I totally agree with you on the Random battles and running through the different ship types. Strangely, I don't feel attracted to the Aircraft Carrier types though. In real life I do have a fascination with them, but not so much in the game. But, as they say, "never say never". Interesting to see that in this months Challenges, there are a number of weekly challenges for co-op, random and ranked battles, tier4 and above. I will most certainly be giving them a go as I now have two ships too play those challenges with.

G'day icy

Glad you enjoyed the post mate, "You like. It's yours". I'm afraid, I am one of those people who believes the world needs a great big "Whoopi cushion" from time to time. I sense you might agree.

Well guy's.

In game things are going well with these ships. I seem to learn something new every time I take them out. The gunnery and positioning with the "Warspite" has helped enormously with getting my head around the Bellerophon. I tried a random battle with the "Bell" but it did not go well. I think mainly because of tunnel vision. So something new to concentrate on. I did get separated from the pack and forgot to check the mini map.

I have taken the Caledon out for a run in random battles and I did fairly well. Managed too torpedo 2 enemy ships,:Smile_amazed: didn't sink either of them. But for me it was an achievement.:cap_like:it was practicing with the torps on the Scharnhorst that gave me the confidence to try. Have been trying a mixture of Battleship and cruiser tactics with the Scharnhorst which seems too work well. But I guess this is really all Old hat too you guy's with much more experience than me.

I truly am looking forward to the day when I can take these 2 ships into The real battles with confidence.

Oh. You want to know who won the race to complete level 5. Lt. Cmdr. Ward won by a short half head after a blistering run down the straight to the finish line. I am now heading to the ward room of the Scharnhorst with a bottle of Schnapps too commiserate with KapitanLeutnant Zimmer. After which, I'm heading to the Warspite for a celebratory gin and tonic with Lt, Cmdr. Ward . "The sun is well over the yardarm after all".

So, from the foredeck of the Scharnhorst.

I bid you fair seas all.

Alex

B_T23

Edited by Bengal_Tiger23

[151ST]
1,014 posts
4,526 battles

This guys writing has that rare quality of making me actually feel for potatoes...

Well done Alex, the fact that you aren't jumping into Random Battles strait away with Scharnhorst and Warspite is a good move as people often rage at premium ships that don't perform or are obviously still learning so I applaud you.

If you want advice on how to spec Warspite or Scharnhorst, look up Flamu on YouTube, he should have a guide for both.

Goodluck and great writing mate!

31 posts
1,137 battles

Yeah I have no idea how "they" knew I had some coin left in my bank...but it was a super deal- 50% off I think.

Just keep your peepers peeled for the in game offer-those deals and that ship are rare as chicken lips I feel.

Trouble is she gets t10 matches a lot so I've had some very short games in it! Might have to watch a few vids to get a bit more knowledgeable. 

But yeah fun ship and has some nice curves hehe.

580 posts
1,587 battles

Nah, don't feel too bad about it... You bought good ships there... It's just a matter of time until you get used to those tubs and those tiers...

Unlike the Atlanta ugghhhh boi... Atlanta is a good ship, just a little wierd to play to get her to shine but once you do she becomes the Lolanta or the Mantlanta... good times... good times...

Super Tester
7,578 posts
8,001 battles

@Bengal_Tiger23, you should write more often, like tell us how your battles are going, your fun moments, struggles etc. I would really love to read them :D

And don't worry too much about the game. Try to have fun and pick up skills here and there on the way.

[151ST]
1,014 posts
4,526 battles
46 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

@Bengal_Tiger23, you should write more often, like tell us how your battles are going, your fun moments, struggles etc. I would really love to read them :D

And don't worry too much about the game. Try to have fun and pick up skills here and there on the way.

This!!!

Don't think I've seen the forums be so positive towards a new player before, keep it up mate!!

201 posts
1,732 battles

Hi Guy's.

A very quick post today as I am going away for a few days and I need to get some things out of the way.

I just want too let you know that i very much appreciate your reply's. They are truly encouraging and it does make me feel very comfortable, and may I say, relaxed here in your company..

icy. You are setting me a standard. Lol. I do hope I can live up to it. I will try my best.

Anyway, I now have too arrange the feeding of  Bengal Tiger (my Cat. AKA, Ben). Also some other things.

Cheer's for now. See you all next week, hopefully Monday.

Alex

B_T23

201 posts
1,732 battles

Hi Everyone.

Well, I'm back. Had what could be best described as an....... "ordinary" time away. :Smile-angry: But as sometimes happens during such times, something good happened. I picked up my replacement computer. What a difference. Like driving a "Turbo Six" car instead of a "Three cylinder Suzuki". :Smile_great:  Gameplay is a good deal better. Plus, I can now record my games for later review. This using the Windows/xBox "in built" game recorder. As well as that, I have been able to revert to my "radio keyboard and mouse". They used to be subject to interference for some reason, but not now. Mouse control is much more precise. And no more cables. Hurrah. Yes, I like to sit in my easy chair with my keyboard on my lap. Haha I must be comfy you know. Oh darn it, where did I leave that glass of Port. -----Now if we could just fix the "S.E.A." cable.

(Oh, If you are wondering. My PC is wired into my home assembled entertainment centre with its 80 watt valve state Marantz amp. Neighbours keep thinking WWIII has started though. Lol. Also a large screen TV.).

Hi Kreigg.

Yes the Atlanta was amongst the offers. I did actually toss up between her and the Scharnhorst. But I had other plans. The HMAS Perth. --More about that later. I have been playing a Few Random Battles with my 2 ships to see how I am going. I feel your original pain. Lol. But getting used to the "Big jump", you really do start to find the best or worst of your ship. Yes, Great times, and lots of fun.:Smile_smile: They can't wipe that smile off my face.

Have passed Formatting limits.

Go to next post.

B_T23

Edited by Bengal_Tiger23
Typo Error

201 posts
1,732 battles

In game.

I am playing all games up to tier IV in Random Battles now. Although harder, this is where "the money" is. Plus, I am learning more each time that I enter a game. I am a bit slow on the uptake, Its an age thing.:Smile_sad: But so far no one has got angry with me. Actually had someone say thanks for taking the heat off. That felt good.

The Bellerophon was a bit frustrating for a while. I couldn't find a victory for love nor money. I am pretty certain I was advancing too soon in the battles. Tunnel vision as mentioned in an earlier post, is still a persistent problem. Also trying to cover a weak force that is trying to capture an area on my own, seam's to mean a ticket direct to "Davy Jones Locker". So for a while there is going to be a bit of "Scr.. Oop's...Blow you guy's I'm going home.":Smile_hiding:  Doing a bit better now though with some good angling, changing direction and being a little less foolhardy.

With some resource's now in the bank. I now have the Orion. What a ship! First game, not so good. A point on this. I should have followed my own advice and taken her into a few Co-op Battle's first!  Lesson learnt! Second went quite well as anything that came within range ---- Well, "that's a paddling" ( Lol. I've been watching to many Jingles videos.). A good team did help. Those gun's are much better. There is now also the Tier IV+ missions and challenges that I can use her for. I can see I will be using her a lot.:Smile_great:

Okay. Now be kind to me guy's. I have taken the Scharnhorst and the Warspite into Random Battles as I am getting more confident with them. :Smile_facepalm:Now I haven't been told off in chat. I think its because I'm always where the action is. Usually to my detriment. The Warspite is fine. But The Scharnhorst is naturally different. So now I'm keeping my distance a bit and picking more on Cruisers and Destroyers. Yes I actually clobbered a couple at long range.:Smile_amazed: Doesn't always come off. Have you ever seen a Scharnhorst picked on by 2 Bismarck's, 1 Tirpitz and a KGV who thought it was a good idea to pick on it/me and ignore the 2 tier 8 battleships that were with me?:fish_boom::cap_fainting: Not a pretty sight. 

It seam's I have reached some kind of post limit.

So I will continue later this evening. 

Apologies' and Cheer's for now.

Alex 

B_T23

Edited by Bengal_Tiger23

201 posts
1,732 battles

Hi guy's.

Just to finish this discourse. 

Something that does frustrate me a lot, is team mates not giving me enough room to manoeuvre when I am engaged with a number of enemy ships. In the example above, I was desperately trying to weave and manoeuvre to get away from the enemy gunfire and avoiding torpedoes from a sneaky destroyer, on fire and desperately low on health with my damage control on cool down plus trying to keep the enemy at bay with my rear turret . They must have seen that I was in a terrible predicament but proceeded to sail right into my path and a collision was absolutely guaranteed. Me, I was so busy trying to not get zunke (sunk), that I did not see them until it was far to late. That was not the first time it had happened. Am I alone in this problem or is it just me and my much loved Scharnhorst?  icy,

You have me a little jealous as I would love to see and photograph my favourite "Big cats".  That's all for now. Won't let me post more. Alex

201 posts
1,732 battles

Hi Guy's,

Been making "Hard Yakka" of life for a few weeks now. So please forgive if I am not quite the happy chappie. ( It's an age thing.)

Well I suppose I have to confess to being a "Wallet warrior" I think it pretty much official now. :Smile_facepalm:

Firstly, HMAS Perth.

This ship has a lot of sentimental value too me. When I was much younger, my mother related to me her reaction and that of her girl friends, at the time, when news broke of the Perth's sinking. They Cried all night and were distressed for days. It was for the ship, the crew and the gallant Captain Hector (Hec) Waller RAN. Capt. Waller was a household name at that time for his exploits in the Mediterranean and there was much national pride in him. There was also the fear. What will happen to us now? It is strange that something said so long ago should have such an impact. Every time I hear of or see this ship in photos, that conversation floods back. You know, she also mentioned other fine ships and crews that were lost during the War.

Tirpitz, or Derpitz, as many of you like to call her.

No, I will not blame you _Magical_Stir_Fry_Cat. Its that darned "Bismarck" model looking down from the mantle piece at me, and saying. "Achtung, You will buy my sister ship. We have ways to convince you". "Okay. Okay stop training your guns on me". So I did. Her guns are now fore and aft bearing thankfully. Lol. That's my excuse. And I's a stricken to it! I spent most of yesterday driving her around in Co-Op. battles. Yes. Now come on guy's, I am sticking too the routine. Training, training and more training before going into Random battles. 

Eastern Dragon Bundle. Well all I can say is that I was just feeling down. I mean really down. :Smile_sad: So retail therapy it was. Actually rather happy with this purchase as I gained, Mutsu, Sims and Graff Spee, plus doubloon's as refund for Scharnhorst. Plus 4 level 10 captains and some more things. The ED is not my cup of tea at all. So maybe I will just hide that. 

A final note. One of the best things about this game is regardless of whether I am training in co-op or random battling, this game does give enormous pleasure. The problems with the SEA cable bought me here from WOT Blitz and I do not regret one moment.

Cheer's for now, from the captain's cabin of the Tirpitz. --- Gee I must remember too watch out for Lancaster's with Tallboys. :cap_rambo::Smile_hiding: 

Alex

B_T23

Super Tester
7,578 posts
8,001 battles
6 minutes ago, Bengal_Tiger23 said:

The ED is not my cup of tea at all. So maybe I will just hide that. 

Or you can just disable the visuals, so she looks like a regular Myoko. Very boring ship nonetheless. Also, from rumors around, new commonwealth ships are being added to the game. Keep your wallet ready :P

Regarding the above posts, about blocking paths and stuffs. You know, this is just like the real world. You have to take care of your own. Its your job to not step in front of a rushing truck, instead of counting on him to brake. Part of the success on WoWS depends on where you go with your ship, so choose carefully. You know, a good player, and an average player, both can shoot the enemy. What mostly differs is where they go and when.

Good luck for future :D

201 posts
1,732 battles

Hi everyone.

Just a bit of an update from me this evening.

I have only been able to find a few days lately to get stuck into WOWs in a serious way. As you may be aware from other posts that I have made, I have expanded my collection of Premiums somewhat. Also my ships have been rationalised as well. The French and Russian line ships have been returned to Home Waters as they are required because of troubles with the Red Forces in those areas. Lol. As the British, German, U.S., Japanese and Australian ships have/will arrive, it seems a rational thing to do. Also, now that I have a number of mid level Commanders, (9>11) these have been given command for their various nations and those not used either sent to reserves or dismissed.

Scharnhorst and Warspite have been mainly in co-op battles recently as playing has been intermittent for the most part. I haven't been the best and have been extremely tired. ---- Doesn't help my play style very much. Lol. Also, although I am retired everybody seems to want a piece of me. You would reckon they would give me a break now and again.:Smile_sad:

Capt. Ward of the Warspite has reached 2/9 level and Korvettankapitan Zimmer is on leave.

The British BB tech tree has not been forgotten. I am still playing the HMS Orion in Random battles and having lots of fun with her. Lt. Cdr. Atwood is now at 1/6 and will eventually take over command of the HMS Iron Duke which has been purchased. Haven't actually taken old "HMS Iron Briches"  to sea yet. 

"I say old chap, what did you just call her?" :cap_wander_2:"Show some respect. She. Is. British."  "Damned cheek of you man."

err ---- Yes sir. Aye Aye Sir.

G'day Harpoon01.

I think I might have that covered. When I finish playing, I head to YouTube and watch some Jingles, or some Benny Hill for a laugh. Then some nice relaxing music before going to bed. Works most times. The music soothes the savage beast. Growl lol. 

Well guy's, there's time for a couple of games in the Graf Spee before my nightly routine.

All the best guy's.

Alex

B_T23

Edited by Bengal_Tiger23

201 posts
1,732 battles

Hi Guy's

What a busy "Festive season/New year" in WoWs I have had. Quite a few events and ships to chase. I reckon the grind for the "Mighty Mo". was the most tiring. Although starting that grind with a Base 400Kxp certainly got the grind off to a great start. Having the "Alabama" with a 10 point skipper helped, as well as the special flags and camo. That grind was well and truly worth it. First battle was a mistake though. I had just taken "Orion" for a run in Random, and guess what. I forgot to change back to Co-Op. :Smile_facepalm: Ended up in a tier10 battle with Yamato's, Montana's and all kinds of T9/T10 cruisers and DD's.  Well at least I didn't get sunk. (Red's capped out). For the little damage that I did, The "Mo" scored quite well. Love that ship already. :Smile_great: Mind you, I'm not going near a Random Battle in her for a long while. That was actually Scary......:Smile_ohmy:

Recently been enjoying Operation of the week, Narai and Defence of Newport. What a lot of fun they are. Narai had me in the Indianapolis, Scharnhorst (my best 2 ships for this op), plus DOY and Hood. DOY was pretty good when I could position her where I wanted to. (Learnt too stay away from the Southern Enemy supply ships. That's cruiser territory). Could not make Hood work well. Usually Hood's guns are kind to me but in this op. honestly, "I couldn't hit a bull in the but with a base fiddle".  aaarrrgh.:cap_wander:. Newport has also been enjoyable and have been using Arizona, Queen Elisabeth and Warspite. being a defensive battle, these are the ships that I have that fit this scenario. Hadn't used Warspite for some time took me a battle to get used to her gunnery again. Might try the Graff Spee this evening. ( Does an ok job as a cruiser, but I think she would fit a "Lone wolf" role better). 

With all of the above, have been able to bring my US and British Commanders to a skill Point 14 level and my German Commander to 17 point.

Just something with the Orion. Her Capt. is a 10 point now after training in the British premiums. This has made a great difference in Random Battles and I am feeling a lot more confident. I am wondering whether it is worth persisting with Iron Duke. She seems quite out classed in t6 and t7 matches. I am not so sure it is just me. ---- Pls say if you think I am wrong.:cap_like:

Any way. Fair Seas and Fair winds to you all. 

Alex

B_T23

Edited by Bengal_Tiger23
My Grammar getting bad