Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
FishyPower

I need advice for the Prinz Eugen

18 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,263 battles

Ok, I've got over 100 battles in it, and I'm sitting at 41% WR. She's my waifu and a great credit earner, and I don't intend to dump her. So I'm here asking for advice, like concrete advice of what to do in the Prinz Eugen.

Super Tester
7,548 posts
7,993 battles

TBH, you already know what to do, at least from your posts in the following thread, these ideas seem sound to me. Except I still would recommend fighting a bit closer. You know, away from BBs, closer to CAs and DDs etc.

Edited by icy_phoenix

203 posts
11,788 battles

Sad to say there's not much help to give.
Hipper/Eugen is another one of your typical Heavy Cruisers with 203mm guns but what makes they stand out is just their AP damage, turret traverse, and that's pretty much it.

You could say close range armor protection is great but then again you will take a lot of penetration damage and random citadel damage can still happens.
One last good news is you have the best AA DPS and the best Hydro available for tier 8 cruisers but you can only pick one of them.

Here comes the gameplay and to be honest with you it is not promising.
You play exactly like your typical Heavy Cruisers... you know turning away from the enemy kiting them and here comes the problem you'll be firing HE most of the time.
High AP damage makes you want to play with AP but you will run into a situation where enemy just bait your AP and bounce them all because they can return to angled position in time.
You're not fast either so if you're trying to flank the enemy and you're caught doing it ? Prepare the inevitable.

You could try to play it like RN CL by division with anything that is equipped with a smoke generator and hope thing goes to what you planned out.

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,263 battles
8 hours ago, LordTyphoon said:

Sell

Nein

11 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

TBH, you already know what to do, at least from your posts in the following thread, these ideas seem sound to me. Except I still would recommend fighting a bit closer. You know, away from BBs, closer to CAs and DDs etc.

I'll take it as a compliment from you but ugh, I guess Prinz Eugen is only viable with a div... Team play really plays a big part for this boat but damn... Solo is killing me :I  Also, 15km is actually pretty nice cause plunging fire works well on BBs from that range. 5k a salvo is easy

6 Prinz Eugen matches, 5 loss... Kill me...

Edited by FishyPower

Super Tester
7,548 posts
7,993 battles
20 minutes ago, FishyPower said:

6 Prinz Eugen matches, 5 loss... Kill me...

Well, I think Eugen is a low impact ship. You are not going to carry too often like other ships.

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,263 battles
Just now, icy_phoenix said:

Well, I think Eugen is a low impact ship. You are not going to carry too often like other ships.

Yeah, I figured... Anyways to get a >50% WR in her? I'm gonna start a Prinz Eugen rant thread now... **** this

183 posts
3,790 battles

I don't know how I did it but I have 147 games, 56% WR on her.

42k ave damage. My average potential damage is just 600k, damage upon spotting is just 15k. Warships spotted is 0.5.

I think based on those stats, I just really never pushed in and just spammed HE from 16km+. This is before the HE buff, I've long stopped playing her before that. Though, playing as a max range HE spammer in a Hipper/Eugen would not be optimal. Your AP will shatter a lot at those ranges so don't bother. Doing this playstyle would give you "fine" results, but nothing amazing would come out of it.

783 posts
4,821 battles

Buy me a prinz! :Smile_coin:

Jokes aside, yeah, for Heavy Cruiser duties, Prinz and likewise Hipper is low impact. The ranges at which it does best is either over >14km or <8km, which in any transition would leave you in a suboptimal position a lot of times. It excels at long range spamming than the other T8 cruisers due to the good arcs but has low DPM due to the RoF and amount of guns, making the impact seem quite low. But it's way easier to hit your shots. Long Range with AP is also not a good idea. Below 8km, you have your armor, torps, good traverse and actually devastating AP damage relative to other cruisers, but again, on the flip side, you have really bad concealment that actually making use of your advantage at brawls tend to be costly.

So in terms of cruiser duties, Hipper/Prinz is a bit niche' in that sense. It's not excellent in DD support, not as effective at long range spam, relative to the competition, but it's decent at about everything. Basically that means that the playstyle that would theoretically suit it best is a cautious/patient/opportunistic playstyle of gradually racking up your damage and influence the game slowly, charging only at the right times, AP at the right times. How tanky it is kind of helps with that. How it influences the game may be underwhelmingly slower for most though, especially to those who have played the other T8 cruisers.

534 posts
17 hours ago, FishyPower said:

Ok, I've got over 100 battles in it, and I'm sitting at 41% WR. She's my waifu and a great credit earner, and I don't intend to dump her. So I'm here asking for advice, like concrete advice of what to do in the Prinz Eugen.

Feuer!Feuer!

1,068 posts
3,847 battles
18 hours ago, HobartAWD said:

Testing. Testing. I think the forum is broke. :cap_wander:

6 replies to an "advice to play ship X" question and not one "Git Gud" helpful comment? :Smile-_tongue:

FisyhPower did come in asking for advice on how to get more out of the ship though.

They didn't just come in saying this ship sucks please buff ( thats in their other thread!!!).

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,263 battles
9 hours ago, BanditSE1977 said:

FisyhPower did come in asking for advice on how to get more out of the ship though.

They didn't just come in saying this ship sucks please buff ( thats in their other thread!!!).

I acknowledge I'm not a very good player, but then again, Prinz Eugen is really lackluster compared to the other T8 prem CAs

Sign in to follow this