Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MatterCore

Coop AI bugged

9 comments in this topic

[LBAS]
4,472 posts
25,644 battles

some time all of Bot ships sail to 1 direction, and I exit to port at once;

as Colorado I cant make it in time; extremely disappointed when I saw it

Map: Two brothers; Estuary; Fault line; Trap they do the same

21950811_1503403843076961_24842251668177

Edited by MatterCore

491 posts
7,634 battles
12 minutes ago, MatterCore said:

some time all of Bot ships sail to 1 direction, and I exit to port at once;

as Colorado I cant make it in time; extremely disappointed when I saw it

Map: Two brothers; Estuary; Fault line; Trap they do the same

Yep. I have experienced this same thing so many times too. I guess it does add some randomness to the bots paths, but it is very annoying. On some of the bigger maps when you spawn on one side you can have no enemies and nothing to shoot at. No chance of running to the other side the bots chose to sail to, and a complete waste of time playing a battle.

Spawn positions are also dumb for the really slow ships. Dozens of times in my Nikolai all I do is sail full speed to get into the battle. No turns or manoeuvres. I finally get into range, and the game ends. I feel that the slower ships should get a better spawn position ahead of the destroyers. This is just to make them playable in the co-op mode. Nikolai is not alone here, many of the 19-21 knot ships are affected by this.

If WG is serious about the co-op mode there are still fairly basic issues that need to be addressed.

Alpha Tester
392 posts

@HobartAWD It's not random. Bots in co-op are programmed to pursue destroyers first, and as you can see from the above screenshot the only destroyer in the team is at D point. @MatterCore I strongly recommend that you stop playing Colorado immediately because it's a waste of time. Grinding Colorado is agonizing and co-op only makes it worse. Co-op is mostly suitable for destroyers. If you're the only DD in your team you're in luck because the bots WILL come after you. Just hide behind a rock and wait for them with your torpedoes ready. Easy XP and credits.

Keep an eye on the progress bar above because once the enemy team has 0 points, the battle is over (even if there are still enemy bots alive). Avoid playing battleships in co-op. I did that in Colorado myself and I regret it.

491 posts
7,634 battles
14 hours ago, Nikolaevna said:

It's not random. Bots in co-op are programmed to pursue destroyers first, and as you can see from the above screenshot the only destroyer in the team is at D point.

I know what you mean. The AI cheats its backside off. None of the bots would have been able to "see" the DD yet, but no surprise the bots all lemming train to the cap where the DD is!

Sometimes the bots all going to one side, instead of evenly left and right and the middle (Two brothers) adds some variety. Instead of every battle having the exact same number of ships going to the exact same caps. Still annoying when your stuck on the side with no targets though.

15 hours ago, Nikolaevna said:

Avoid playing battleships in co-op. I did that in Colorado myself and I regret it.

I have no issues playing BBs in co-op. Very rare I don't get 130k + damage and 3+ kills at T5-9. I'm sorry you don't enjoy it and have not had any luck. I play many BBs in co-op, from Koenig Albert at T3 all the way to the Mighty Mo at T9. And every tier in between. Every tech tree ship I have has been obtained by grinding in co-op. Only BB I have used free xp to skip, was the RN T6 Queen liz. Already had the Warspite, so didn't want to grind an inferior ship.

1,068 posts
3,847 battles

They really need to apply the Operations AI to Co-Op,and fix things like your OP.Can't be that hard to program them to go separate ways down the map.

1 hour ago, HobartAWD said:

I have no issues playing BBs in co-op. Very rare I don't get 130k + damage and 3+ kills at T5-9. I'm sorry you don't enjoy it and have not had any luck. I play many BBs in co-op, from Koenig Albert at T3 all the way to the Mighty Mo at T9. And every tier in between. Every tech tree ship I have has been obtained by grinding in co-op. Only BB I have used free xp to skip, was the RN T6 Queen liz. Already had the Warspite, so didn't want to grind an inferior ship.

+1 I only play BB and cruisers,and have no problems with either unless its like in OP's case where you are in a slow US BB and the AI lemming the other way.

Alpha Tester
392 posts
3 hours ago, HobartAWD said:

If you're only playing for fun, yes. I still play Arkansas once in a while in co-op. But it's tedious if you're grinding a BB line in co-op. With terrible speed and accuracy, BBs don't earn as much XP as DDs. It's very common for a DD to finish top of the scoreboard, especially if the player behind the controls is a unicum. So I tried to earn as much XP as possible in my Colorado by just going straight and ramming the first bot I saw before a DD can take the kill for himself. By the time I finally reached my target ship Iowa I was burned out.

When I started grinding the USN DD line, I discovered with astonishment that I was regularly getting the most XP in the team. The grind was so fun that before I knew it I had unlocked Gearing (my target was Fletcher). Ran into many BB players who begged me to save some bots for them. I sympathize with them as I used to grind BBs myself, but sorry to say, it's not my fault that they chose to grind slugs.

Edited by Nikolaevna

491 posts
7,634 battles
25 minutes ago, Nikolaevna said:

Ran into many BB players who begged me to save some bots for them. I sympathize with them as I used to grind BBs myself, but sorry to say, it's not my fault that they chose to grind slugs.

It is a valid issue for co-op that combined with the fast DD speed and advantageous spawn positioning, you are going to get first pick of the juiciest targets. Plus add in the bots tendency to "sail on rails" in the same channels time and time again on the same maps and it makes well planned torp ambushes quite easy. Throw an experienced DD player into the mix and like you say, people can get annoyed that you are not leaving any targets for them in the "slugs" plodding along behind. By the time they get there it's all over.

Honestly it is something I have been aware of when I play slower 19-21 knot ships. By the time you are in range there is only 1 or 2 bot ships left. Usually a DD player has cleaned up with 3 or 4 kills. Get low xp in the battle cus I couldn't get there in time and rinse and repeat over again.

Like I already said, maybe better spawn positions for the slow ships would help. My ping ranges between awful and abysmal so I only play randoms when the ping is behaving. Unfortunately I am forced to grind in co-op in the "slug" boats.

1,487 posts
5 hours ago, Nikolaevna said:

Ran into many BB players who begged me to save some bots for them. I sympathize with them as I used to grind BBs myself, but sorry to say, it's not my fault that they chose to grind slugs.

So, are you saying that it was OK for you to grind BBs, but its everyone else's fault for doing the same.... 

That's a very selfish attitude... 

Alpha Tester
392 posts
20 hours ago, Ordrazz said:

So, are you saying that it was OK for you to grind BBs, but its everyone else's fault for doing the same.... 

That's a very selfish attitude...

:Smile_facepalm:

Sign in to follow this