Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
FishyPower

How 2 USN DD

13 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,216 battles

In my USN DD grind, I have learned and adapted much to the USN DD playstyle a lot. In 60 battles, I managed a 50% WR (I blame weekend warriors) and 3 Kraken Unleased (Out of my total of 6) I'm probably not the best, but here's what I've learned.

Key Equipment:

Aimming Systems Mod 1, Accuracy is always nice

Engine Boost Mod 1, If you have it, otherwise up to you

Propulsion Mod 1, you'll want this for the insane amount of WASD hacking you'll be doing.

General DD tips:

Engine Boost in knife fight. More speed = More dodge

Wide spread torps in their general directions to give them more things to deal with.

Don't tunnel vision, aimming in 3rd person can save you sometimes.

Turn and braking = Emergency brake

Look at the team roster and watch out for radar boats

Island hugging torp runs are a good way to use your torps.

Get survivability expert for more survival

Last Stand to be able to make a last stand

Priority Target so you know if enemy has noticed you

USN DD tips:

When the enemy smokes up in cap, it's the perfect opportunity to exert dominance. Emergency brake while smoking while he does the same. Then rush at him after sending 1 narrow torp spread at where he would be after smoking up. Once you get close, start firing and wide spread torp to make him panic. Get ready to torpedo beats all while raining hell on him. Ideally, you'll end your battle in his smoke or with his smoke blocking LoS of his teammate.

DoT damage is your friend. Get a torp spread on a enemy. If you see a flooding ribbon, wait until he repairs it and start that HE spam. Fire + HE damage will kill him.

Edited by FishyPower

481 posts
7,606 battles

Good sound advice. :cap_like: Especially the aiming in third person. Very useful in DDs (all ships really) when at closer ranges to help you retain more situational awareness. Too many newer players always use the gun zoom to aim all shots.

I should be playing my US DDs more, but I'm having too much fun in the Grozovoi since unlocking her last weekend. Took a long time to get through the lacklustre Ognevoi and the very visible Udaloi so I'm going to enjoy it.

259 posts
4,649 battles

USN DD player here, good advises, I do mostly the same. Just other advice, get "Survivability Expert" on your captain for higher tier DD (8-10, maybe 7 if you really want), extra HP allows you to survive in gun fights. I took "Superintendent" first because I am a cheapstake saving the extra 22500 credit premium smoke, a bit regretted though.

I guess I also need to train my 3rd person aiming skills.

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,216 battles
4 hours ago, GRADAN31 said:

USN DD player here, good advises, I do mostly the same. Just other advice, get "Survivability Expert" on your captain for higher tier DD (8-10, maybe 7 if you really want), extra HP allows you to survive in gun fights. I took "Superintendent" first because I am a cheapstake saving the extra 22500 credit premium smoke, a bit regretted though.

I guess I also need to train my 3rd person aiming skills.

Yeah, I left that out. I run superintendent + prem consumerables :3

33 posts
4,464 battles

For Benson, which upgrades are worth it? Steering Modification( rudder shift) or Engine Modification ?( Increase the acceleration) 
I tend to play aggressively in it.

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,216 battles
41 minutes ago, arcticavengerz said:

For Benson, which upgrades are worth it? Steering Modification( rudder shift) or Engine Modification ?( Increase the acceleration) 

Engine. I'm not at the benson yet, but you typically want engine mod for DDs. *Intense smoke eurobeat heard in the distance*

[LBAS]
163 posts
3,921 battles

Last Stand, to me, is the most vital skill a DD captain can have. Because DD knife fights always wind up with so very many modules broken and having at least some ability to steer and manouver can save your ship!

For me, the first 11 points for a DD captain have always been the same.

Preventative Maintenance. - Because not loosing modules is important.

Last Stand - The ability to have the final dodge, to turn to bring your guns to bear or more importantly, your torps around, is too important.

Superintendent - Lets face it, a single extra smoke, if you make it to the half way point of the game, is a life saver

Concealment Expert - More stealth is always. Always good.

Priority Target - Sure, you are detected, but if noone is aiming at you, you can relax a fraction. If lots are, it doesn't matter weather the shots are fired or not, start dodging. That's saved me too many times to count.

This path doesn't go for the Russian DD's, but I have IJN and USN up to Tier 7 and it works for me.

As for Upgrades.

Main Armaments I - Because Weapon Survive-ability.

Main Bat Mod 2: Only for IJN because of the terrible traverse. For USN, I go Aiming Mod.

Propulsion Mod 1 and finally Steering Mod 2

Obviously, at Tier 8 if I ever get there, I'll go the Stealth Module.

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,216 battles
5 hours ago, FinbarAu said:

Last Stand, to me, is the most vital skill a DD captain can have. Because DD knife fights always wind up with so very many modules broken and having at least some ability to steer and manouver can save your ship!

For me, the first 11 points for a DD captain have always been the same.

Preventative Maintenance. - Because not loosing modules is important.

Last Stand - The ability to have the final dodge, to turn to bring your guns to bear or more importantly, your torps around, is too important.

Superintendent - Lets face it, a single extra smoke, if you make it to the half way point of the game, is a life saver

Concealment Expert - More stealth is always. Always good.

Priority Target - Sure, you are detected, but if noone is aiming at you, you can relax a fraction. If lots are, it doesn't matter weather the shots are fired or not, start dodging. That's saved me too many times to count.

This path doesn't go for the Russian DD's, but I have IJN and USN up to Tier 7 and it works for me.

As for Upgrades.

Main Armaments I - Because Weapon Survive-ability.

Main Bat Mod 2: Only for IJN because of the terrible traverse. For USN, I go Aiming Mod.

Propulsion Mod 1 and finally Steering Mod 2

Obviously, at Tier 8 if I ever get there, I'll go the Stealth Module.

Dangit, I left out all the skills :I

259 posts
4,649 battles
17 hours ago, arcticavengerz said:

2.7s rubber shift is fast enough for me in Benson (hull B). I equip Propulsion Modification 2 for that extra acceleration to dodge torpedo and fire. 

Propulsion Modification 2 is always good for most DD, unless you feel that your rubber shift time is very slow.

481 posts
7,606 battles
22 hours ago, GRADAN31 said:

Just other advice, get "Survivability Expert" on your captain for higher tier DD (8-10, maybe 7 if you really want), extra HP allows you to survive in gun fights.

This is a must have for Russian gunboat DDs. I have it on my Grozovoi, as unlike the Khaba you don't get the choice of a heal so it really comes in handy. Not as important on US DDs as they have better manoeuvrability for those WASD hax when kiting and spamming shells. Still a good choice though depending on play style. Like you say only really viable on at least T8 +.

51 minutes ago, GRADAN31 said:

unless you feel that your rubber shift time is very slow

My rubber shift is among the slowest there is.....my DD rudder shift however is very fast. :Smile_teethhappy:

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,216 battles
3 hours ago, HobartAWD said:

This is a must have for Russian gunboat DDs. I have it on my Grozovoi, as unlike the Khaba you don't get the choice of a heal so it really comes in handy. Not as important on US DDs as they have better manoeuvrability for those WASD hax when kiting and spamming shells. Still a good choice though depending on play style. Like you say only really viable on at least T8 +.

My rubber shift is among the slowest there is.....my DD rudder shift however is very fast. :Smile_teethhappy:

You can get it at T7 if you are going to bring your captain up the line.

259 posts
4,649 battles
On 9/27/2017 at 5:50 PM, HobartAWD said:

Hahaha!!!:Smile_teethhappy: I tend to loss a lot of HP since I have to cap and kill DD sometimes. Without the extra HP, I cannot fight with my bad WASD (more like AD only)

Sign in to follow this