Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Flemboy

Server ping rate needs improving - (I am in Aust).

18 comments in this topic

[AE]
202 posts
9,515 battles

Hey. Before anyone replies, I am aware that there may still be a break in the cable in the pacific.

Regardless, I am lucky because I can usually only play a lot during the week (shiftworker). On a weekday the average ping is probably around 120-140. More than playable. BUT. That is with something in the order of only < 1000 people playing.

I see one other human playing PVE with me on a morning. ie. None existent people on. When I do try to play on weekends the ping becomes 200-400, extremely erratic, and with lag spikes. Current numbers on 9000. That isn't many people. Can the server be improved? With virtually nobody in South East Asia (100s of millions of people) playing the game, why is the ping so garbage? Where is the server based? Is there movement towards an Australian server?

Thank you for your time. (And over years of playing WoT there was serious problems there too, but despite a bigger server, the ping was in the order of 100).

157 posts
4,084 battles
42 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

Hey. Before anyone replies, I am aware that there may still be a break in the cable in the pacific.

There are still several breaks in multiple cables, they're trying to reroute traffic through Hong Kong but this is causing more delays.

Beta Tester
8 posts
5,631 battles

just after the cable cut, the ping was around 150 - 190 ms, playable.

From this Monday (19th Sept.) it went to at least 230ms with sever packet loss, unbearable.

Nothing to do but pray that the repair work is going on smoothly.

28 posts
3,043 battles

It is pretty annoying. 

Have been considering buying a couple of premiums, but given that the game has often been borderline unplayable over the past month or so is a massive disincentive to shelling out.

Have just been playing Operations lately. Random battles is just....yeah. Challenging with current ping.

Edited by JarofVegemite

590 posts
2,995 battles
Spoiler

why is the ping so garbage? Where is the server based? Is there movement towards an Australian server?

Let me answer the following :cap_book:

1. The Ping is Garbage due to a number of Sub Sea Cable Systems being broken in and around SNG / APAC and Australia, and if your in Australia, the one of two leaving points and the subsequent ISP's and Regional Deals your IP Providers have been engaged with. 

Case in point, if your with Telstra - you'll either go out of the country via perth or through sydney, if you go through sydney you have the possibility of at least three different network paths. If you leave from perth, it's one. 

2. The server is based in SNG, in a pretty impressive data center and really short of Hong Kong the just off center of the internet world.

3. Nope, we don't have the population to support a server - and additionally the US have just gone from two servers to a single server... so the likelihood of aussie having there own internal server is almost non existent. 

4. If you use a dedicated vpn (I use wtfast) you can avoid some of these problems, my current ping from South Australia is a 109ms which to be honest is higher than the 80 i normally get, but if i turn my vpn off, it bounces 300 - 500 ms 

319 posts
6,891 battles
37 minutes ago, tc1259 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

4.If you use a dedicated vpn (I use wtfast) you can avoid some of these problems, my current ping from South Australia is a 109ms which to be honest is higher than the 80 i normally get, but if i turn my vpn off, it bounces 300 - 500 ms 

WTFast is a really good Gamer VPN. I used them for my Warcraft account and made my ping so much better. I think they still do a free trial, and its something to look into.

590 posts
2,995 battles
1 hour ago, Kamanah said:

WTFast is a really good Gamer VPN. I used them for my Warcraft account and made my ping so much better. I think they still do a free trial, and its something to look into.

Yeah correct, 30 day trial is always good :cap_rambo:

[ASALT]
[ASALT]
Beta Tester
1 post
4,621 battles

When the typhoon cable breaks happened a few weeks ago my WoWS ping from East Coast Au was still ok-ish (120ms became 150-200ms).  But on 24/09/17 that became 300-400ms with packet-loss.  

Suspect there's another break or they're doing something to routing which is making things much, much worse.

27 posts
3,121 battles
17 minutes ago, Hobnail said:

When the typhoon cable breaks happened a few weeks ago my WoWS ping from East Coast Au was still ok-ish (120ms became 150-200ms).  But on 24/09/17 that became 300-400ms with packet-loss.  

Suspect there's another break or they're doing something to routing which is making things much, much worse.

ok i had no idea about all that just had another game got up to 380ish not fun! 

ps. in victoria AU

Edited by BigHappning

[AG7]
[AG7]
5 posts
3,289 battles
1 hour ago, Hobnail said:

I think it's something to do with the routing with the ISPs.

Tried using a VPN to an Australian server - instant improvement from 300ms with major lag spikes to ~100.

Edited by AYKP

Beta Tester
434 posts
3,187 battles

It's especially painful when you pay for Premium, then the cable is cut, and you cannot play and benefit from Premium.

And thanks to Wargaming's excellent customer service centric model, we can't pause the Premium time we've paid for.

Top work WG. You're Ace in my books.

Tee

157 posts
4,084 battles
20 hours ago, Hobnail said:

The other possibility is that it is now school holidays in most of the east coast, meaning there will be a lot more traffic.

Sign in to follow this