You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
arcticavengerz

How to Admiral Hipper?

26 comments in this topic

33 posts
4,464 battles

I can't seem to make this ship work. I had no problem grinding German CAs even in Yorck but doing badly with Hipper(stock). 

I need Halp with this ship. Any advice on using Hipper?

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,263 battles

I'm still trying to figure out my Prinz Eugen which is essentially a carbon copy, but here are the things I learned.

1. Don't be scared to fire HE

2. Aim +0.3km if at range against broadside BB (Plunging fire)

3. Abuse island

4. Fire after enemy BB fired at other boats.

5. If enemies start aimming at you, stop firing, camo up and relocate

6. Abuse HP advantage and terrain to doing close range torp rushes in late game. (1km torp)

Super Tester
7,543 posts
7,986 battles

1. Forget Hydro, equip DFAA. As a tier 8, rushing closer to DDs are no longer an option. Hipper has the best Tech tree AA in tier 8. Always strengthen you strong side.

2. Play her like you would with a Myoko.

3. Use AP every single time possible. HE only when you know that AP will fail. Unlike Yorck, your AP actually goes fast and the turret traverse is really nice.

4. Know your armor values and for enemies as well. Hipper can bow tank up to 380 mm BB caliber. Angling is very important when playing German CAs, but you probably already know that.

5. Typical CA play style applies, aka, playing around concealment range. You can play a bit more aggressive too, unlike something like Mogami.

[AUSNZ]
420 posts
16,015 battles

I personally failed so hard at the Hipper that my Clan mates still take the piss out of me so what I did was I used Free XP to get over the grind and into the incredible Roon. I would recomend Free XP to anyone :Smile_coin:

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,764 battles

Well it's not a very good ship, so don't feel it's your fault if you aren't as successful in it as you would normally be.

Basically do whatever you can to get through the grind quicker.  The Roon and Hindy are both superb, so it's worth it.  Equip all the xp flags and camos you can.  Note it is quite tanky when angled well (just like the Yorck), but you are still a cruiser, so you need to pick the right moments to move up.  Follow the advice from icy above about AP, it is extremely effective out to much longer ranges than the Yorck AP on broadside targets.

Then enjoy being able to sell it and never sail it again when you get to the Roon...

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,263 battles

Oh yeah, one suggestion, ditch the camo equipment and get the engine mod + steering mod. You want to be able to change your bearings quickly if they do decide to fire at you.

[LNA]
1,660 posts
10,447 battles
1 hour ago, FishyPower said:

Oh yeah, one suggestion, ditch the camo equipment and get the engine mod + steering mod. You want to be able to change your bearings quickly if they do decide to fire at you.

I would not rather ditch the camo mod , it is super useful to not get shot at and to disappear when you really need to.

Thing is , any cruiser go down fast if they dont disengage at some point , and do it quickly. The mobility combo is very very nice to pull off stunning WASD hacks , but do nothing if RNG curse you.

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,263 battles
15 minutes ago, legionary2099 said:

I would not rather ditch the camo mod , it is super useful to not get shot at and to disappear when you really need to.

Thing is , any cruiser go down fast if they dont disengage at some point , and do it quickly. The mobility combo is very very nice to pull off stunning WASD hacks , but do nothing if RNG curse you.

The thing is, if you fire at 11km away, you are going to take hits same if you do so at 13km. So if you fire at around 15km, then their shell travel time is enough for the WASD upgrades to matter.

33 posts
4,464 battles

Thanks for the replies ! But it really seems that i have no luck in Hipper. Just got Detonated by KII at the start of the match.
I am extremely sad right now. 

Super Tester
7,543 posts
7,986 battles
2 hours ago, FishyPower said:

The thing is, if you fire at 11km away, you are going to take hits same if you do so at 13km. So if you fire at around 15km, then their shell travel time is enough for the WASD upgrades to matter.

Naah, fighting from 15 km with a hipper won't be very rewarding.

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,263 battles
1 hour ago, icy_phoenix said:

Naah, fighting from 15 km with a hipper won't be very rewarding.

idk, it seems to work for me in early game. Ofc you want to move up later on in the game, but firing at 11km when 6 ships can potentially target you isn't very smart. Attached a replay in my Prinz Eugen that was prety well played imo. Think that sums up my ideal match.

20170924_183016_PGSC508-Prinz-Eugen_16_OC_bees_to_honey.wowsreplay

Edited by FishyPower

[LYNMF]
990 posts
11,592 battles

hipper is not a bad ship but if you are like me in T10 all the time then good luck

T8 cruiser is probably the worst tier to play thru at the current game state

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,263 battles
24 minutes ago, ahwai82 said:

hipper is not a bad ship but if you are like me in T10 all the time then good luck

T8 cruiser is probably the worst tier to play thru at the current game state

Kutuzov, Atago, ARP Takao disagrees

[LYNMF]
990 posts
11,592 battles
5 minutes ago, FishyPower said:

Kutuzov, Atago, ARP Takao disagrees

they are premium, one have smoke one have heal

try mogami in a t10 match in tears of the desert or should i say dessert for T10 hahaha

only chappy the only one i can say good because radar

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,263 battles
17 minutes ago, ahwai82 said:

they are premium, one have smoke one have heal

try mogami in a t10 match in tears of the desert or should i say dessert for T10 hahaha

only chappy the only one i can say good because radar

Mogami isn't actually that bad, given her HE spam capabilites

[LYNMF]
990 posts
11,592 battles
Just now, FishyPower said:

Mogami isn't actually that bad, given her HE spam capabilites

yea, 15 guns and now with faster turret is quite fun until get into team that doesnt wanna move and with only so much range to play with

i play mine hit and run, use concealment get close give out few salvo then hide behind island to wait it out until im not spotted

even NO i play the kinda same way, get up there support dd with radar but see only me and dd while the rest far behind sailing 1/4 speed..luck i get away no luck get sunked very quickly

they are not bad ship but sometimes how team play have a big impact on these ships

268 posts
6,381 battles

The Hipper really needs to have a heal to be competitive.  It's got bad DPM, and you're forced to fire HE at range to do damage.  If you switch to AP you'll bounce at long range, and risk getting deleted at shorter ranges.

Fun fact - I ran 9 losses in a row with it the weekend before last, W/R went from 55% down to 46%.   GGWP

1,340 posts
8,848 battles
9 hours ago, _Sammich_ said:

The Hipper really needs to have a heal to be competitive.  It's got bad DPM, and you're forced to fire HE at range to do damage.  If you switch to AP you'll bounce at long range, and risk getting deleted at shorter ranges.

Fun fact - I ran 9 losses in a row with it the weekend before last, W/R went from 55% down to 46%.   GGWP

Just today I got a 5-game loss streak in the Hipper. Switched to another ship, bam got a win.

Personally I find the German CA's to be pretty meh so far. They don't seem to have a lot of carrying potential.

Hope the Roon and the Hindenburg are as good as they say.

Edited by Thyaliad

268 posts
6,381 battles

I've heard good things about the Roon and Hindy - if I ever get there!

Ironically, I really enjoyed the Yorck, despite the bad reputation, and finished at 60% W/R with it.  It's guns are accurate, despite being floatly; it's good at starting fires, and the armour holds up well against equal and lower tier opponents.

683 posts
7,351 battles

I think now the problem is tier 8 very frequently been put into tier 10 matches, in which Hipper doesn't fare well, even compared to other tier 8 CAs, mainly due to poorer concealment, and AP loses its power against angled ship (thus unreliable)

I tried both ways: full concealment or use double steering with CE from captain. Both do farely well for their own pros and cons.

When Hipper been the bottom tier, a supportive role will be more suitable for Hipper, and stay at a range that you can easily disengage when things turn ugly.

I do agree to spec Hipper towards AA, since she is not good against DD in the first place (slow reload, only 8 guns, poor HE alpha)

For me when I play Hipper as bottom tier: stick with the fleet, low profile, provide AA, anti cruiser (tier 8,9. Run away from Zao, Hinden.), harass BB at long range as like "hey look at me, stop shooting my teammates!/I'm a threat too!" 

As top tier: Anti Cruisers, provide AA, pop shoots on BB (lower tiers) to bite a chunk of their health.

PS: I struggled with Hipper initially as well until I get 15 captain points (before change in captain skill tree) to get concealment expert. Before that, yeah, it's tough cos almost everyone out spot you.

Hope this help. I like to play Hipper too, but almost every match facing tier 10? :( very sad..

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

she turn like a Brick

You better dump coancelment module and goes for 40% rudder shift one, combine with Acceleration module so you bleed speed less when turning

any high tier german CA without that setup, is not Enjoyable imo

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,263 battles
4 hours ago, humusz said:

she turn like a Brick

You better dump coancelment module and goes for 40% rudder shift one, combine with Acceleration module so you bleed speed less when turning

any high tier german CA without that setup, is not Enjoyable imo

I'll back this statement. It isn't a normal thing to do for a CA, but for the Prinz Eugen it really worked a lot better