Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
dieselhead

Asia server lag due to cut cable

6 comments in this topic

356 posts
7,102 battles

Given that its well known that some on asia server are suffering horrendous lag and ping due to the damaged underwater internet cable, do you think its worth asking WoW's for a temporary switch to US server until the damage is repaired?

Who would I send a ticket to or ask about this? 

97 posts
13,803 battles

Up until last Thursday (2017-09-21) night I had had a relatively stable 150-160 ping (NSW, Australia) and was playable. Before the cable issues it was generally about 90-100.

The last 3 nights though the ping has blown back out to 250+ (and fluctuates wildly) and the lag makes it unplayable.

Using pingplotter, I can see massive packet loss in the Hong Kong segments before the traffic gets routed to Singapore.

They've clearly changed something and not for the better :-(

356 posts
7,102 battles

Yeah something is definetly worse lately. My ping has been over 200 and up to 300 at times. Before the cable was damaged I was getting around 60-90 (Melbourne, Australia). Thing is I'm sure lots of us in Australia have paid for premium time and the game is barley playable for us.

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

Recently I definitely have been getting huge ping increases when directly connecting to WoWS from Canberra, usually around 300-500ms, but sometimes even up to 600ms:

3og8bZp.png

I figured it was a problem with my ISP's routing to the WoWS Asia servers, so I tested out my anonymous VPN to see if it would decrease the ping:

YNdf3Jp.png

yYAKNos.png

...and while it did reduce the ping significantly, the game is still unplayable as there is a lot of frequent packet loss every 25 seconds or so. Using a paid VPN subscription is definitely not a solution to the problem (I just wanted to try it out since I already had it lying around).

Meanwhile, I am not getting any ping or packet loss issues connecting to the WoWS NA server.

These days, whenever someone from Australia asks me about WoWS, I always recommend that they create their account on the NA server, and to ignore the popup message that claims that they're better off playing on the Asia server. You're more likely to run into connectivity issues playing on the Asia server, as an Australian.

Edited by benlisquare

Sign in to follow this