You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Hazard_666

What ship is this?

5 comments in this topic

3 posts
4,344 battles

I was looking for some wallpapers for my desktop background, and i found this Enterprise wallpaper. But I looked at the all the ships and near the top left, there's a ship which seems out of place. The hull and superstructure of the ship appear to be a combination of the Baltimore and Des Moines. The guns don't look normal, even for an American ship, 6 turrets with 2 guns in each, probably rapid fire AA guns. What do you think?WG_Wallpapers_3840x2160.thumb.jpg.41601cb64f304f58472023f20f822aa3.jpg

Edited by Hazard_666

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles
33 minutes ago, Hazard_666 said:

I was looking for some wallpapers for my desktop background, and i found this Enterprise wallpaper. But I looked at the all the ships and near the top left, there's a ship which seems out of place. The hull and superstructure of the ship appear to be a combination of the Baltimore and Des Moines. The guns don't look normal, even for an American ship, 6 turrets with 2 guns in each, probably rapid fire AA guns. What do you think?WG_Wallpapers_3840x2160.thumb.jpg.41601cb64f304f58472023f20f822aa3.jpg

uss worcheser, basically 6*2 152 inch autoloaders on a dank moin hull and what will probably be the T10 USN CL line split if it ever does happen

Edited by drakon233

1,386 posts
8,233 battles

That is USS Worcester. Only two classes of USN cruisers have this distinctive 3+3 layout with only the third and fourth turret being at superfiring position, one is Worcester, the other is Juneau. The turret, with a curved front casing, marks the ship as Worcester, Juneau has similar turrets to Atlanta (cuz there were so many mods of the 127/38, and I'm not sure if those two ships had the same mod)

The model of Worcester was present for some time in WoWS client, IIRC it first appeared some time in 2015, and was deleted in 2016.

The ship had the same guns as Brooklyn/Cleveland/Fargo class, but in the new twin turrets capable of AA duties. The ship however, despite it's advanced technologies and high expectation, didn't came satisfying. The turrets were to blame, while 12RPM was called for, they never reach above DM's RPM of 10RPM, and was extremely prone to fail. The surface gunnery director was inferior to RN's prewar 8000 ton treaty Crown Colony class. RN however liked the idea of 6"+3" AA cruiser and the Tiger class was born, being a more reliable and satisfying ship both AA and AS, they were finished too late to demonstrate their advances in technology.

Edited by HMS_Swiftsure_08