You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Puteralanun

How do you estimate speed?

15 comments in this topic

218 posts
3,793 battles

Sometimes when there's no static object like a buoy or an island near the target, I find it difficult to estimate the target speed. When in this situation, I usually try to observe the sea surface, but the wave and ripple of the sea is barely visible. So how do you guys estimate target speed in this situation?

Super Tester
2,725 posts
20 minutes ago, keskparane said:

smoke from the funnels 

Seconded this.

You'll identify it by enemy ship's trail of smoke from the smokestack he's running.

1,496 posts
34 minutes ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

I use a highly technical algorithm.  Shoot, watch for splash.  adjust, shoot, rinse repeat.   All with my eyes closed

I use a variation, if I miss, my algorithm automatically adds a :etc_swear:

218 posts
3,793 battles
4 hours ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

I use a highly technical algorithm.  Shoot, watch for splash.  adjust, shoot, rinse repeat.   All with my eyes closed

It'll be nice if we can shoot each gun individually instead of firing the whole turret. Can use one round to observe splash. The only ship I'm comfortable using that method is Fuso, since it has so many turrets.

326 posts
10,550 battles
5 hours ago, keskparane said:

smoke from the funnels 

5 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

User your torpedo lead if you have it, if not, look really hard to smoke stack. Because of recent graphical changes, it is not easy to see smoke stack.

^ Both of this

783 posts
4,826 battles
2 hours ago, Puteralanun said:

It'll be nice if we can shoot each gun individually instead of firing the whole turret. Can use one round to observe splash. The only ship I'm comfortable using that method is Fuso, since it has so many turrets.

This isn't exactly good for BBs at all due to how dispersion is, it could go say fully left and you'd be deceived some more. So imo turret shooting would provide a better estimate, just because the chances of it being skewed by dispersion is lesser.

460 posts
8,358 battles

You should probably use a combination of all those methods to know where to shoot. Use the appropriate one at the time. It's something we all get better at over time.

260 posts
4,654 battles

Besides smoke from the funnels, I use the aiming markers (dynamic crosshair) as a guide, and some methods, just like what @Sparcie recommended

25 minutes ago, Sparcie said:

You should probably use a combination of all those methods to know where to shoot. Use the appropriate one at the time. It's something we all get better at over time.

This is how I aim:

1) Set the crosshair to the estimated spacing. For example, BB is roughly 0.5x the time for the shell to travel, so 10s shell time equals to crosshair at 5 spacing away from the tip of the ship. (CA=1.5x, DD=2x)

Read more here:

2) Visualise and imagine the crosshair is fixed but the ship is still moving, count how long does it take to travel in the spaces of the crosshair, let say 4 spaces. If you cannot visualise, de-select the target and you will see the ship move across the crosshair spaces. 

3) If let's say it took about 4s to move 4 spaces, that means 10s shell will hit the stern. Re-adjust the aim and set the bow of the ship at space 8. Shoot

4) See where the shell lands, compensate and shoot again. 

5) Repeat the steps when needed. Practice more and you will find that you can aim better.