Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Masayuki_Kikuchi

Can anybody help me out for a bit..

10 comments in this topic

6 posts
1,966 battles

I've downloaded the updated Compressed textures 1% yesterday (September 17, 2017) here: https://world-warships.com/compressed-textures-for-world-of-warships/

My PC is a really slow one, and I've been playing everything in 640x480 resolution via editing the preferences notepad file in the main game folder (I've tested lower and it would stop there only), and it's really, really difficult to play as the map and other interfaces overlap the view. Not only that, 20 fps (around 15 fps average) is the best I can get with that extreme resolution reduction. So I looked for ways to at least play decent at 800x600 resolution, then I saw this Compressed textures 1% mod and downloaded an updated version for 6.10.1, read some general info on mod installation and watched this:

And so I extracted the mod contents inside 6.10.1 in the res_mods folder and it looks like this (also showing res_packages and res folder contents):

Untitled.thumb.jpg.9f56da8a865c3411f36fcc124a965d40.jpg

There's no paths notepad file in the mod, though. But the mod doesn't work. So I'm still stuck playing at 640x480 resolution with the autopilot icon right at the middle of my scope and the other interfaces blocking my view.

I am new to modding WoWs and I probably am just doing something wrong. But I noticed there are differences in my folders compared to the folder structure in the tutorials I've read. Am I missing something?? Or is it that mods are just in general banned nowadays, even the harmless textures mods?

Please, help.

Thank you and good day, everyone.

1,482 posts

You have to extract the texture compression mod INTO the res_mods folder, nowhere else... In the folder you'll see a little note saying put your mod here... You extract it into there...

What it does is pre-loads the ships, scenery etc if your computer is slow, & the trade off is that the graphics are slightly worse... But its better than waiting 5 mins to load into a battle, when you can see all the other ships moving on the map...

The mod doesn't increase frame rates or anything, that is done via your video card...

It sounds like you have an older video card....

The more RAM your video card has, the better... Playing the game on a 512k or 1gb card is pretty shit, you may have to invest a little on a better video card, go for 2gig or more size, with its own fan, make sure it fits physically in your computer case first...

You can pick them up on ebay cheaper, or a computer swap meet, but do your research first of what you need, look up on Google first about minimum requirements for your computer to run world of warships,  then you should be all right... & extract the texture compression mod into res_mods ...

I have got my local internet cafe to run it, & I.make sure its put across or updated after every wows update ( the mod lasts for a few patches) , although you may end up with.pink smoke or something funny sometimes...

Anymore questions, will be answered happily...

Ordrazz

[LBAS]
4,464 posts
25,606 battles
38 minutes ago, Masayuki_Kikuchi said:

I've downloaded the updated Compressed textures 1% yesterday (September 17, 2017) here: https://world-warships.com/compressed-textures-for-world-of-warships/

My PC is a really slow one, and I've been playing everything in 640x480 resolution via editing the preferences notepad file in the main game folder (I've tested lower and it would stop there only), and it's really, really difficult to play as the map and other interfaces overlap the view. Not only that, 20 fps (around 15 fps average) is the best I can get with that extreme resolution reduction. So I looked for ways to at least play decent at 800x600 resolution, then I saw this Compressed textures 1% mod and downloaded an updated version for 6.10.1, read some general info on mod installation and watched this:

And so I extracted the mod contents inside 6.10.1 in the res_mods folder and it looks like this (also showing res_packages and res folder contents):

Untitled.thumb.jpg.9f56da8a865c3411f36fcc124a965d40.jpg

There's no paths notepad file in the mod, though. But the mod doesn't work. So I'm still stuck playing at 640x480 resolution with the autopilot icon right at the middle of my scope and the other interfaces blocking my view.

I am new to modding WoWs and I probably am just doing something wrong. But I noticed there are differences in my folders compared to the folder structure in the tutorials I've read. Am I missing something?? Or is it that mods are just in general banned nowadays, even the harmless textures mods?

Please, help.

Thank you and good day, everyone.

folder path ok

delete "preferences.xml" [C:\Games\World of warships\preferences.xml]

and start game and set those settings again

6 posts
1,966 battles
18 minutes ago, Ordrazz said:

You have to extract the texture compression mod INTO the res_mods folder, nowhere else... In the folder you'll see a little note saying put your mod here... You extract it into there...

What it does is pre-loads the ships, scenery etc if your computer is slow, & the trade off is that the graphics are slightly worse... But its better than waiting 5 mins to load into a battle, when you can see all the other ships moving on the map...

The mod doesn't increase frame rates or anything, that is done via your video card...

It sounds like you have an older video card....

The more RAM your video card has, the better... Playing the game on a 512k or 1gb card is pretty shit, you may have to invest a little on a better video card, go for 2gig or more size, with its own fan, make sure it fits physically in your computer case first...

You can pick them up on ebay cheaper, or a computer swap meet, but do your research first of what you need, look up on Google first about minimum requirements for your computer to run world of warships,  then you should be all right... & extract the texture compression mod into res_mods ...

I have got my local internet cafe to run it, & I.make sure its put across or updated after every wows update ( the mod lasts for a few patches) , although you may end up with.pink smoke or something funny sometimes...

Anymore questions, will be answered happily...

Ordrazz

Odrazz, thank you for replying. But the thing is I know the hardware issues I have, don't worry about it. I just don't have the money to get higher-spec pc's since I'm still a student so I just do what I can with the laptop I have for now. I also play at times at a local internet cafe, but of course it eats a lot of my allowance.

But, eh. At the topic, I see; so it doesn't really help FPS? I thought it would sacrifice beauty for the preload AND, since shit graphics = better fps. (PS: I know very well that I need higher performance videocard with a matching CPU to not bottleneck it and all that stuff).

And, yes. I've extracted it in 6.10.1 folder inside res_mods folder; I just showed the res and res_packages folders on the note that it seems different from the folder structures I see from everyone else in the tutorials I've read.

Anyways. Thanks again.

6 posts
1,966 battles
27 minutes ago, MatterCore said:

folder path ok

delete "preferences.xml" [C:\Games\World of warships\preferences.xml]

and start game and set those settings again

MatterCore, thank you for replying. I did what you suggested and deleted the preferences.xml file. Then opened the game, set the settings (fullscreen too), restarted, then.... No effect, still. My port and the ship and all the background elements are still not the shit in the sample 1% picture from the site source. I don't know what's going on. ^^'

But, anyways. Still, many thanks to you for taking your time to read the post and suggest.

1,482 posts

The texture compression doesn't help fps, it helps with the loading into the maps...

Try going through your game settings, & try putting your graphic choices to medium, or even low, & turn off things like small animations, vegetation quality, smoke quality, rain, shadows, ansotropic (that does high details to radio cables )  etc etc, & see how that goes...

At the internet cafe I get them to download the 50% texture compression, so the quality is still great, just sacrifices a little quality while losing into map faster..

Did you compare your computer stats to the minimum req? 

http://gamesystemrequirements.com/game/world-of-warships

I wonder if you can buy a cheap bigger graphics card for what you need.. Unless its a ram issue

Anyway, try fiddling the graphics & see if you can squeeze a few fps...

Good luck

Ordrazz

[LBAS]
4,464 posts
25,606 battles
3 hours ago, Masayuki_Kikuchi said:

MatterCore, thank you for replying. I did what you suggested and deleted the preferences.xml file. Then opened the game, set the settings (fullscreen too), restarted, then.... No effect, still. My port and the ship and all the background elements are still not the shit in the sample 1% picture from the site source. I don't know what's going on. ^^'

But, anyways. Still, many thanks to you for taking your time to read the post and suggest.

U only need to keep 1 folder "content"<<(the biggest size and most slow loading); others else move out(dyndecals; GUI; particles; maps; helpers....etc)

move your game to other drive; D: or E:

never install game in Drive C:

Edited by MatterCore

6 posts
1,966 battles
1 hour ago, MatterCore said:

U only need to keep 1 folder "content"<<(the biggest size and most slow loading); others else move out(dyndecals; GUI; particles; maps; helpers....etc)

move your game to other drive; D: or E:

never install game in Drive C:

Move out, as in delete? Or move out as in put them on main game directory or out of folder 6.10.1?

I'm really sorry if I have a lot of questions. ^^' Thank you for sparing some of your time to suggest and help me with this.

Good day, MatterCore..!

3 hours ago, Ordrazz said:

The texture compression doesn't help fps, it helps with the loading into the maps...

Try going through your game settings, & try putting your graphic choices to medium, or even low, & turn off things like small animations, vegetation quality, smoke quality, rain, shadows, ansotropic (that does high details to radio cables )  etc etc, & see how that goes...

At the internet cafe I get them to download the 50% texture compression, so the quality is still great, just sacrifices a little quality while losing into map faster..

Did you compare your computer stats to the minimum req? 

http://gamesystemrequirements.com/game/world-of-warships

I wonder if you can buy a cheap bigger graphics card for what you need.. Unless its a ram issue

Anyway, try fiddling the graphics & see if you can squeeze a few fps...

Good luck

Ordrazz

Yep, everything's on low and off already. It's the best fps I can get, and it's okay for me. I was just hoping for some way to get to play at 800x600 resolution instead of the cramped 640x480 without sacrificing 5-6 fps more. But, eh. I'll make do with this core i5 laptop with crap integrated graphics, haha... I swear, once I graduate from this mudhole university that is U.P. and get a decent job, I'll aim for a decent pc after everything else vital.

Anyways. Good day, Odrazz.

[LBAS]
4,464 posts
25,606 battles
56 minutes ago, Masayuki_Kikuchi said:

Move out, as in delete? Or move out as in put them on main game directory or out of folder 6.10.1?

I'm really sorry if I have a lot of questions. ^^' Thank you for sparing some of your time to suggest and help me with this.

Good day, MatterCore..!

just to some where, it not useful at all, textures was stored in content, thats the only you need

others folder shall conflict to GUI and visual

it should look like this (notice red underlines)

21586904_1498201710263841_48171888756716

Edited by MatterCore

6 posts
1,966 battles
On 9/18/2017 at 8:45 PM, MatterCore said:

just to some where, it not useful at all, textures was stored in content, thats the only you need

others folder shall conflict to GUI and visual

it should look like this (notice red underlines)

21586904_1498201710263841_48171888756716

Good day, MatterCore. Sorry for the late confirmation; student life issues. ^^' Anyways. Thank you for answering again. But I still don't see the changes that should happen even after doing everything you've instructed me to do. But it's okay; at this point I've pretty much given up on making it work already, hahaha..

But, still, thank you very much for giving some of your time to help me in this matter again and again.

Again, good day, MatterCore..! *Salutes* :Smile_honoring:

Edited by Masayuki_Kikuchi

Sign in to follow this