You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
xscore

Improved graphics makes gameplay difficult

51 comments in this topic

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

Since update 6.10 we have had improved graphics, but to me they seem more like hindrance to gameplay than improvement.  

-Aiming at close range when your ship is burning is impossible because of the black smoke.  How am I supposed to drive-by execute the enemy Yamato when I can't see where I am aiming?

-Water splashes blocks vision, making hitting of small ships especially hard, when more ships are firing at it.

-Generally, too much black smoke affecting vision.  Can't WG make the smoke transparency adjustable or something?

Perhaps such hindrance to gameplay is intended, and we have to live with it, but are there any mods to revert the graphics back to the old version?  Or is it impossible as WG has intended such changes to have said effects on gameplay?  Or do I just have to git gud?

Super Tester
7,558 posts
8,001 battles

Agree as well, it is hard to see ship heading or direction if the ship is on fire or getting focused. I had to wait before the explosion effect dumb down and then shoot. May be we should post that in suggestion area or something? This is absolutely annoying.

Beta Tester
358 posts
7,415 battles

Didn't WG have this before with the black smoke or fire blocking view during drive-by's and going close to islands? I think it was more than a year ago now.

492 posts
7,661 battles

Good. I'm glad that I'm not alone in this. Missed many salvos outright today due to the target ship being completely obscured by the smoke and splashes. Not too annoying when you have a broadside, but it's mostly when a target ship is bow or stern on and you simply can't tell if their heading is staying true or if they are continuing a turn. I find I'm holding the shot for quite a while until I can see the target clearly again. In some cases 4-5 seconds.

Also for strong secondary gun ships such as Tirpitz/Bismark, Scharnhorst, FDG, GKF..... etc. I find that the secondary gun flashes are ridiculously large in comparison to the calibre of the main gun armament. Maybe these could be toned down also in an effort to reduce the smoke haze around targets causing these occasional aiming difficulties.

I'm all for the improvement in the graphical quality of the effects, but I feel they could be toned down when they are clearly negatively affecting gameplay.

1,493 posts

I'm actually very happy about the new graphics, & the enlarged explosions, smoke & fire effects.

It makes the game battle atmosphere extremely realistic, like you are actually there...

IMO the gun muzzle flashes are great, even though they are bigger than they were,they are now just like in real life... I say this because I've seen videos of warships in battle on YouTube, & I was really surprised how much smoke & flash their guns really do put out,  & I've read reports of sailors & gunners who were in battle, & they talk about smoke & flash trouble for viewing as well.

So I am not too disturbed about the amount or size of smoke or flashes, I think its great, if my target is hard to spot for a time, it adds to the randomness of the battle for me, because its more realistic, & if a ship is on a big fire, of course its going to be difficult to aim your next shot.

We get the same aiming  difficulty when ships are always invisible when in range, because of the sunlight/glare, & they may blink in or not, so it adds a bit of frustration, & we have to put up with that.

We just have to guesstimate or wait, or pick another target.

So I'm for leaving the effects how they are now, glare, flashes & smoke.

I love it.

Ordrazz

334 posts
13,020 battles
4 minutes ago, Ordrazz said:

I'm actually very happy about the new graphics, & the enlarged explosions, smoke & fire effects.

It makes the game battle atmosphere extremely realistic, like you are actually there...

IMO the gun muzzle flashes are great, even though they are bigger than they were,they are now just like in real life... I say this because I've seen videos of warships in battle on YouTube, & I was really surprised how much smoke & flash their guns really do put out,  & I've read reports of sailors & gunners who were in battle, & they talk about smoke & flash trouble for viewing as well.

So I am not too disturbed about the amount or size of smoke or flashes, I think its great, if my target is hard to spot for a time, it adds to the randomness of the battle for me, because its more realistic, & if a ship is on a big fire, of course its going to be difficult to aim your next shot.

We get the same aiming  difficulty when ships are always invisible when in range, because of the sunlight/glare, & they may blink in or not, so it adds a bit of frustration, & we have to put up with that.

I love it.

Ordrazz

100% agree I think it is fantastic.

Super Tester
7,558 posts
8,001 battles

Well, we play for the competitive aspect of the game. Uber realism is Killing it for us. This could be made optional. Missing a lot of shells lately on said scenarios. Not fun.

39 posts
12,834 battles

I also love the improved graphics effects, they really increase the visual excitement and drama!

35 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

Well, we play for the competitive aspect of the game. Uber realism is Killing it for us. This could be made optional. Missing a lot of shells lately on said scenarios. Not fun.

There should be no impact on competitive play because the improved graphics affect everyone equally.  If it's now harder to aim at burning enemy ships, it's the same for the enemy aiming at your team's ships. 

On the other hand, making the new graphics optional actually could give someone a competitive advantage (like turning off vegetation to see better over islands). 

159 posts
5,684 battles
3 hours ago, Ordrazz said:

I love it.

Ordrazz

Completely agree too, Even though I've suffered from being blinded my my own secondaries at close range I wasn't annoyed, and as has been pointed out, competition shouldn't suffer because everybody has to deal with it.

Super Tester
7,558 posts
8,001 battles
5 hours ago, Shanghai_Slim said:

I also love the improved graphics effects, they really increase the visual excitement and drama!

There should be no impact on competitive play because the improved graphics affect everyone equally.  If it's now harder to aim at burning enemy ships, it's the same for the enemy aiming at your team's ships. 

On the other hand, making the new graphics optional actually could give someone a competitive advantage (like turning off vegetation to see better over islands). 

Except, my ship wasn't burning, that gives him an advantage even with his misplays. I don't know whether you actually played the game much or not recently, the water splash will literally cover the entire ship, all you see is a big blob of black and white particles. May be we better opt out from Ultra and re-install the normal one. Some degree of realism is good, not this level.

Also I have found an interesting image. You can open a portal to new dimension by ramming a ship
42lKZm0.png

Who would call this a collision explosion effect? Not me.

Edited by icy_phoenix

1,068 posts
3,847 battles
3 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Except, my ship wasn't burning, that gives him an advantage even with his misplays. I don't know whether you actually played the game much or not recently, the water splash will literally cover the entire ship, all you see is a big blob of black and white particles. May be we better opt out from Ultra and re-install the normal one. Some degree of realism is good, not this level.

Ultra seems to only affect the sounds,not graphics unfortunately.

[AMPOL]
Beta Tester
177 posts
6,442 battles

Yea the smoke and water splashes while looking good block vision and cause issues, how do I turn it off? 

1,493 posts
22 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Also I have found an interesting image. You can open a portal to new dimension by ramming a ship

42lKZm0.png

Maybe its the Philadelphia Experiment.

You know, the movie??

Gotta smash all the valves to get back to the right time.

Ordrazz

Edited by Ordrazz

39 posts
12,834 battles
18 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Except, my ship wasn't burning, that gives him an advantage even with his misplays. 

Right, but next time someone is firing at you, and it's your ship that is burning or surrounded by splashes, you will get the benefit. 

If the graphics look and act the same way for everyone, the net effect is even - it averages out to no advantage for anyone.  If you make them optional, allowing some players to turn them off, then you create a situation where some people are able to gain an advantage, which is why making them optional would be a bad idea.

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

the massive water splashes are super annoying, my Des Moines reload faster than the water splashes can come down and it makes shooting DDs much less effective. The smoke blocks vision at times especially when an enemy is behind it or it is blocking the smoke stack. If we are zoomed in they should make the effects 30% opacity so we see it but it doesn't effect our aim. Right now I can use a dead ally's smoke to disrupt enemy aim for quite a few seconds

Beta Tester
434 posts
3,182 battles
On 9/17/2017 at 6:03 AM, Ordrazz said:

I love it.

Ordrazz

This.

All this.

Tee

460 posts
8,337 battles

I actually quite like the new effects. Sure they sometimes block vision but that's part of what actually happened. Smoke, splashes and fire obscured ships and made it hard for gunners to get a fix and land accurate fire. Why should you not have to deal with these things? wouldn't dealing with smoke and fire be a new skill to develop in your shooting/aiming? In these aspects I'm fine with the fact it impacts game play, there are other graphical situations that cause poor visibility, smoke, splashes and fire was a factor in real battles, and as long as it effects everyone equally I don't see an issue with it.

I also agree that people opting out of the new effects would have a distinct advantage, so I guarantee people are going to find a way to remove the effects. We all now people will look for an advantage anyway they can get one. I suspect that the problem amongst competitive players will be making sure no one is getting an unfair advantage by removing the effects.

1,493 posts
2 hours ago, FenrirApalis said:

the massive water splashes are super annoying, my Des Moines reload faster than the water splashes can come down and it makes shooting DDs much less effective. The smoke blocks vision at times especially when an enemy is behind it or it is blocking the smoke stack. If we are zoomed in they should make the effects 30% opacity so we see it but it doesn't effect our aim. Right now I can use a dead ally's smoke to disrupt enemy aim for quite a few seconds

That's what the gunners in the battle Jutland said, especially in the DDs from both sides, as they raced between the dreadnoughts of both fleets to have at each other.....

Realism... Its Like a spice packet to a bowl of noodles, it adds that extra taste to make it a extra tasty dish.

Ordrazz

Super Tester
7,558 posts
8,001 battles
5 hours ago, Shanghai_Slim said:

Right, but next time someone is firing at you, and it's your ship that is burning or surrounded by splashes, you will get the benefit. 

If the graphics look and act the same way for everyone, the net effect is even - it averages out to no advantage for anyone.  If you make them optional, allowing some players to turn them off, then you create a situation where some people are able to gain an advantage, which is why making them optional would be a bad idea.

No, this is not even related to game performance. This is super annoying to many players. I'm not the only one. Why do you think your opinion is better than some of others. Many of us think it is an overdone change, many thinks its realism. But you are pushing it towards only for the ones who like it. What about others, did they ask for this change? 

Im not saying that this is to be removed, Im saying this is overdone.

[LYNMF]
463 posts
10,416 battles

I'm in agreement with most of you

while I don't mind much about the excessive fire and smoke, I do find the water splashes obscuring with my fov while targeting enemy especially DDs

too many DDs got away kiting and dancing while the water splashes all around them, and DDs is one of two ship classes that can be a deciding factor later in the game

don't get me wrong, I LOVE THE NEW GRAPHICS, I LOVE THE MORE REALISTIC WATER SPLASHES

thank you WG for these great effect

they're completely made me felt more realistic compared to before but sometimes it's just plain annoying

TQ

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

I have the reverse view - I rather want it even grand-er. I thought the current one was too fake in fact.

I do hope WG just put this as an option tho. For people like me I keep it at max - and for people like OP just turn it off. Win-win.