Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
darkflame88

Should Izumo be replaced with another BB Prototype?

27 comments in this topic

157 posts
4,084 battles

I've had Izumo for a while now and I am starting to wonder just why WG put her in the game, she is by far the worst ship in the upper tiers of the game, not to mention she has worse concealment than Yamato. Her only purpose seems to be as target practice for Zao's, Baltimore's and Moskva's.

I'm curious why the Tier IX IJN BB wasn't the 'Number 13' prototype. I know there are plenty of threads on this already but I find it strange that they put such a useless ship at Tier IX when the other nations Tier IX BB's are far more superior in every aspect.

Edited by darkflame88

Super Tester
7,542 posts
7,978 battles

Imo switching the 3rd turret facing should have been enough for me. And they had that kind of proposed design as well.

Izumo project was a testbed for Yamato class. She could get closer to Yamato sigma.

1,386 posts
8,230 battles

IMO the fix for Izumo doesn't have to be replacing her...

1. Protection. Izumo's pathetic protection against HE is a big issue... Buff her upper deck, to for example 38mm.

2. Guns. They are not the most accurate, and does not show a significant advantage over Mk7 other than the ballistics. Iowa has better concealment and maneuverability, so why not give Izumo better guns for a hardcore standoff styled gameplay? Buff the shell weight to approx 1100kg is probably good, this will give her advantage in close mid range engagement.

3. Looks. Remodel the superstructure to be a close resemblance to Yamato bridge. Also shrink the barbette a bit to make her look overall better.

the 3 turret in a group isn't too much of a problem IMO, this is compensated with lightning fast turret transverse and reasonable firing angles.

1 hour ago, Aaditya_AJ said:

Should Izumo be replaced with another BB Prototype?

Yes Please 

Not so fast.... The devs may, in a drinking night, decide to replace Izumo with the planned Kawachi with 6*2 12"/50 instead of 2*2 12"/50 and 4*2 12"/45 as she was built...

"You said yes please!"

30 minutes ago, LawrenceXVIII said:

I think Izumo should replaced by Yamato while T-10 will be A-150 Super Yamato. The Yamato will nerf the reload to 36 - 40

1ac44aa39abe900e44a1de6853051014.jpg

IIRC project A-150 is not AB-XY. A-150 can be seen as a regunned Yamato, with AB-X 3*2 510mm/45 and numerous 100mm/65 replacing the anti surface 155mm and AA 127mm.

Also IIRC it is not practical to mount a 8" as secondary for a dreadnought styled, i.e. central fire control, battleship, the splash of 8" is a nuisance when the FC tower is measuring the main battery splash, while 6" is significantly smaller and is hard to be misinterpreted as a main caliber splash.

Edited by HMS_Swiftsure_08

492 posts
7,643 battles
5 hours ago, LawrenceXVIII said:

I think Izumo should replaced by Yamato while T-10 will be A-150 Super Yamato. The Yamato will nerf the reload to 36 - 40

1ac44aa39abe900e44a1de6853051014.jpg

Yeah, bringing the mighty 18" guns down to tier 9 to bring the smack down on even lower tier and less well armoured ships ........ not the greatest idea I've ever heard. :Smile_facepalm:

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

WG prob just want 18 inch gun on only TX

From all 24 pre-Yamato design. only 4 or so using 16  inch gun

one of those were Izumo

Edited by humusz

Beta Tester
647 posts
3,515 battles
7 hours ago, HobartAWD said:

Yeah, bringing the mighty 18" guns down to tier 9 to bring the smack down on even lower tier and less well armoured ships ........ not the greatest idea I've ever heard. :Smile_facepalm:

Increase the Reload time lol as i suggest of 36 - 40

492 posts
7,643 battles
1 minute ago, LawrenceXVIII said:

reload time doesn't change the overmatch mechanics of 18" shells lol

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles
28 minutes ago, LawrenceXVIII said:

alpha damage is alpha damage

something that often overpower DPM especially in games like WoT and other fast paced shooter

Beta Tester
647 posts
3,515 battles
11 hours ago, HobartAWD said:

reload time doesn't change the overmatch mechanics of 18" shells lol

Well they could at least rework a Mechanics of 18" 460mm.

10 hours ago, Harpoon01 said:

alpha damage is alpha damage

something that often overpower DPM especially in games like WoT and other fast paced shooter

Just change Alpha Damage then.

492 posts
7,643 battles
8 hours ago, LawrenceXVIII said:

Well they could at least rework a Mechanics of 18" 460mm.

Just change Alpha Damage then.

Not so sure all Yamato owners who worked hard for the grind are gonna just say yes please to a big nerf to 18" overmatch mechanics and 18" shell alpha. Yamato is the pinnacle, I cannot see it being knocked off Tier X.

Nerf the Yamato and if I were WG I would be :Smile_hiding:. It just isn't practical or logical. End of story. If there is ever a second IJN BB line there may be a new 2nd line Tier X. Maybe we will see this super Yamato then?

Beta Tester
647 posts
3,515 battles
2 hours ago, HobartAWD said:

Not so sure all Yamato owners who worked hard for the grind are gonna just say yes please to a big nerf to 18" overmatch mechanics and 18" shell alpha. Yamato is the pinnacle, I cannot see it being knocked off Tier X.

Nerf the Yamato and if I were WG I would be :Smile_hiding:. It just isn't practical or logical. End of story. If there is ever a second IJN BB line there may be a new 2nd line Tier X. Maybe we will see this super Yamato then?

Or what? you want to make a T10 Yamato have 2nd Options to armed 510mm Gun?

492 posts
7,643 battles
1 minute ago, LawrenceXVIII said:

Or what? you want to make a T10 Yamato have 2nd Options to armed 510mm Gun?

No. Not at all. It's not historically accurate. Like I said if there ever is a new second IJN BB line, like the IJN destroyer split, maybe we will see new high tier ships and maybe the super Yamato in a new TX spot. It is WG after all. They have been known to do slightly oddball things at times.

Beta Tester
647 posts
3,515 battles
3 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

I don't know but there could be a battle cruiser sub class.

Battlecruiser will be like Ise (and CVBB version) , B-64/65 , Tosa lines already.

Super Tester
7,542 posts
7,978 battles
16 minutes ago, LawrenceXVIII said:

Battlecruiser will be like Ise (and CVBB version) , B-64/65 , Tosa lines already.

I don't think Ise was designated as battlecruisers. Only battlecruisers they actually built were Kongo class and Amagi class. Project B65 never came into existence as far as I know. So may be not enough ship for a sub class.

203 posts
11,788 battles

It could be as intended.
It make sense as you progress the Japanese battleships tech tree it ends with "Biggest gun caliber" in the game.

At tier 4 you have Myogi which you could exaggerate it and say she's a T4 version of a Yamato.
When you compare T4, T10 situation it looks fairly similiar.

T4 BB: Myogi - Biggest gun caliber able to overmatch any ship she'll meet with lowest amount of guns compared to other nations.
            Wyoming - Maximumt amount of guns (12) exchange for the ability to overmatch battleships. She also has highest AA damage potential (sadly its quite a close range).

Kaiser - The most heavily armored battleship at tier 4 rarely took citadel damage and resiliant to HE damage.

T10 BB: Yamato - Biggest gun caliber with the power to overmatch any ship she'll meet but she has lowest amount of guns compared to other nations.
              Montana - Maximum amount of guns you could have on BB (12) No ability to overmatch other battleships but she does have highest AA damage potential.
              Kurfurst  - The most heavily armored battleship at tier 10. Rarely took citadel damage and resiliant to everything.

Yes there's a contradiction at tier 7-9 where its not as crystal clear as this but this the best I got. Sadly I haven't grind British BB yet so I can't comment on them.

492 posts
7,643 battles
45 minutes ago, LawrenceXVIII said:

Ise class are proper battleships that were modified to have a small complement of aircraft and a small flight deck to be hybrid battleships. They still had the same armour after CV conversion. Tosa class were also classed as battleships.

27 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

I don't think Ise was designated as battlecruisers. Only battlecruisers they actually built were Kongo class and Amagi class. Project B65 never came into existence as far as I know. So may be not enough ship for a sub class.

That's correct. Only completed battlecruisers were the original spec Kongo's. After refit they were almost fast battleships but armour was still weaker than contempories from other navies. Amagi was laid down but destroyed by an earthquake and Akagi was converted to a CV.

I would rather have an incomplete line, like the IJN sub branch, rather than WG fantasy ships.

Super Tester
7,542 posts
7,978 battles
2 hours ago, HobartAWD said:

I would rather have an incomplete line, like the IJN sub branch, rather than WG fantasy ships.

Well, you never knew what secret documents were kept in Russian archives :wink: :wink:

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,859 battles
3 hours ago, MikuChrome said:

T4 BB: Myogi - Biggest gun caliber able to overmatch any ship she'll meet with lowest amount of guns compared to other nations.
            Wyoming - Maximumt amount of guns (12) exchange for the ability to overmatch battleships. She also has highest AA damage potential (sadly its quite a close range).

Kaiser - The most heavily armored battleship at tier 4 rarely took citadel damage and resiliant to HE damage.

I'll tell you a little dirty secret.

At t4, all the battleships currently present have the gun caliber of 305mm-356mm, which corresponds to 21-24mm overmatch respectively. I doubt there are any ship with significant part of it clad in that thickness.

I conclude that all guns in T4 are currently functioning the same, but Myogi have less guns and worse penetrations than both the Wyoming and Kaiser, in exchange for a too little of an extra alpha per shell. 

Edited by Admiral_Neptulussus

1,386 posts
8,230 battles
4 hours ago, MikuChrome said:

It could be as intended.
It make sense as you progress the Japanese battleships tech tree it ends with "Biggest gun caliber" in the game.

At tier 4 you have Myogi which you could exaggerate it and say she's a T4 version of a Yamato.
When you compare T4, T10 situation it looks fairly similiar.

T10 BB: Yamato - Biggest gun caliber with the power to overmatch any ship she'll meet but she has lowest amount of guns compared to other nations.
              Montana - Maximum amount of guns you could have on BB (12) No ability to overmatch other battleships but she does have highest AA damage potential.
              Kurfurst  - The most heavily armored battleship at tier 10. Rarely took citadel damage and resiliant to everything.

Yes there's a contradiction at tier 7-9 where its not as crystal clear as this but this the best I got. Sadly I haven't grind British BB yet so I can't comment on them.

Standard hull thickness of T4&5 BB is 19mm, which can and will be overmatched by 305mm, even 283mm can do that.

203 posts
11,788 battles

My point here is about progression Myogi has the biggest gun caliber at that tier. Same with Yamato having biggest gun caliber at its tier.
If all tier 4-5 BB doesn't have this "Low tiers armor" you wouldn't be here pointing out about others able to overmatch everything else.

Its good for you guys to point out this flaws though because it is flawed afterall.  :cap_like:
Why don't they make low tiers battleships able to withstand those 283-343mm AP from the bow though.

Edited by MikuChrome

Sign in to follow this