Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HobartAWD

Zero damage torpedoes

14 comments in this topic

492 posts
7,661 battles

Any one else had this happen. I have had this happen so many times but due to being darn annoyed forget to take a screenshot. Only have these 2 screenshots.

Scenario is this: You fire a perfect spread of torps at a DD or CL and they look dead on, so you turn your attention to the next enemy ship. You notice 4 or 5 torp hit indicators, but then realise the ship is not sunk.

How the blazes does a DD survive 4 or 5 torp hits? I know when I'm in a DD I very very rarely (like 5%) survive taking 1 torp, but I'm left on 15% or less health from 100% health. Does this game model dud torps? Seems like only 1 torp from both my screenshots did any damage, all the others were duds. :etc_swear:

Both times enemy ship was hit by 4 or 5 torps but not sunk. In the Lo Yang game I sunk the Hatsuharu with guns after 5 torps didn't do the job, but in the other game a friendly Nurnburg had to finish the enemy kamikaze that survived 4 torps, only to then kill me with 1 torp.

shot-17.09.05_12.49.12-0364.jpg

shot-17.09.06_23.39.25-0010.jpg

Edited by HobartAWD

1,386 posts
8,233 battles

Module saturation. Means the hidden HP bar of that particular module has run out. The same thing happens when RN CL tries to shoot KM BB superstructure. At first it goes 1056 1056, but after you've done some damage, damage per shot gets to 528. That is when the superstructure module gets saturated but the "hull" module is not. If that KM BB does not use heal, eventually you get zero. iChase has a video about this mechanism

492 posts
7,661 battles
24 minutes ago, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

Module saturation. Means the hidden HP bar of that particular module has run out. The same thing happens when RN CL tries to shoot KM BB superstructure. At first it goes 1056 1056, but after you've done some damage, damage per shot gets to 528. That is when the superstructure module gets saturated but the "hull" module is not. If that KM BB does not use heal, eventually you get zero. iChase has a video about this mechanism

I understand damage saturation, but these are torpedoes not shells. I cannot get them to all aim down one line of bearing. They are fired in a spread. Both examples from the screenshot were spreads along a broadside target at relatively close range. No 2 torps hit in the same area.

Regardless, every single other time I have fired multiple spreads and torps do hit the exact same area on a ship, the torps still do damage. It may be less but they still do damage. These in my screenshots did zero.

Edited by HobartAWD

1,386 posts
8,233 battles
28 minutes ago, HobartAWD said:

I understand damage saturation, but these are torpedoes not shells. I cannot get them to all aim down one line of bearing. They are fired in a spread. Both examples from the screenshot were spreads along a broadside target at relatively close range. No 2 torps hit in the same area.

Regardless, every single other time I have fired multiple spreads and torps do hit the exact same area on a ship, the torps still do damage. It may be less but they still do damage. These in my screenshots did zero.

Torpedoes have a special "splash" damage that can affect nearby modules, but if the splash area cannot cover the module next to the hit area and the module you hit gets saturated, 0 damage situation happens.

294 posts
2,997 battles
51 minutes ago, HobartAWD said:

I understand damage saturation, but these are torpedoes not shell.

If I remember correctly, Yuro posted a video where he got hammered by torps in close range and all of them connected but he survived thanks to damage saturation.

492 posts
7,661 battles
24 minutes ago, LonerPrime said:

If I remember correctly, Yuro posted a video where he got hammered by torps in close range and all of them connected but he survived thanks to damage saturation.

I'll try to find that vid. I've been hammered plenty of times and damage saturation has never come to my rescue!

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles
20 minutes ago, HobartAWD said:

I'll try to find that vid. I've been hammered plenty of times and damage saturation has never come to my rescue!

there was one of a shima that ate all 10 torps from a benson or fletcher on the ass and surived

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

I have eaten 4 torps from Kagerou in the same spot, "IN KAGEROU"

it was poinblank but certainly hit and outside safety range

took both of us 10 seconds (a very short ceasefire) to realize what happen

me in all player chat: "4 TORPS?"

me: "I AM STILL ALIVE?"

Edited by Harpoon01

Super Tester
7,553 posts
7,993 battles

If you look in the internet, there is a video of a DD eating 15 SHIMAKAZE Shimakaze took all 10 Benson torpedoes and still taking no damage. This is possible. You just can't count on it in game ;)

Check this out

https://i.imgur.com/cRdsNHO.gifv

Edited by icy_phoenix

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles
3 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

If you look in the internet, there is a video of a DD eating 15 SHIMAKAZE torpedoes and still taking no damage. This is possible. You just can't count on it in game ;)

Check this out

https://i.imgur.com/cRdsNHO.gifv

that's the one that im talking about, the shima is the one that ate the torps, not the one using them lel

Super Tester
7,553 posts
7,993 battles
4 hours ago, drakon233 said:

that's the one that im talking about, the shima is the one that ate the torps, not the one using them lel

Right, I wrote it wrong. Shima ate Benson torps. I think it looks like a Benson since the C turret doesnt seem to have any cover.

Edited by icy_phoenix

1,386 posts
8,233 battles
1 hour ago, icy_phoenix said:

Right, I wrote it wrong. Shima ate Benson torps. I think it looks like a Benson since the C turret doesnt seem to have any cover.

It should be "P" in RN designation, midship turrets are P and Q.

IIRC USN simply call it first, second, third?

64 posts
3,175 battles

I have evaded torps by placing them between the rudder and hull (related trivia: The Kongo turns slowly because it doesn't have a rudder) but they have never been seen to explode.

Sign in to follow this