Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ArtickWarspite

CV Secondaries

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

10 posts in this topic

I recently had a game where it had come right down to the wire, and after being sunk I was watching the rest of the battle and saw the poor Hosho on our team putting up a brave fight against a very low health V-170. His health was so low that one hit from the CV's secondaries would have finished him. You can probably see where this is going, but the DD did a full 360 around the CV less than 1km away, and managed to reload his tubes and finish the CV without being touched by the secondaries. They weren't even close to touching him.

This was ultimately a pivotal point in the game, and it was unfortunate that the secondaries were so crap not being able to land a single hit closer than point blank range. 

Having secondaries is the only defence CV's have once their planes are gone, and if they're absolutely no threat to anyone, why can't they be a little more effective? Maybe make them more accurate the closer the target gets or something?

Agreed, especially since you are basically helpless in a situation like that. Some of the higher tier CVs might not need it as much, but the lower tier ones definitely need it. As it stands they might as well not have any secondary guns at all.

Posted (edited)

@ArtickWarspite

It depends on ships.Hosho's secondary layout means it can hardly be effective(4*1,1 on each corner,8s reload),while CVs like Ryujo,Hiryu's secondary is powerful.(Graf Zepperin's is very,very accurate and lethal,almost the same as Bismarck's except range)

999999.thumb.PNG.b07c42f6baa70321aee5896198f5c7de.PNG99999999999999.thumb.PNG.a97c3ffbd9154faf0061a18f642fe7ba.PNG

@Sparcie high Tier CV's secondary is pretty useful,especially ambushing dying enemy DD.I finished the SIMS with secondaries.I hide behind mountains,and when he spotted me,he is in my secondary range.

Edited by Kim_JongMion

Now I propose buffing BB secondaries.

My argument is that BBs are sluggish, their hulls big, easy to detect, TDS sux cuz 10% repair, their guns turn and reload slowly, and dispersion is not reliable. And I give the example of my V140 torping a Wyoming in coop.

Does that make sense? No? Remember, the player is responsible for his own positioning, and getting caught by a DD at close range is nothing but failure. Also note CV has unlimited range and every bit of that range is effective, while DD has limited effective range for both guns and torpedoes. So with all that hard work getting near a CV, that DD should be rewarded big.

No, I do not thinking buffing CV secondaries is a good idea.

45 minutes ago, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

My argument is that BBs are sluggish, their hulls big, easy to detect, TDS sux cuz 10% repair, their guns turn and reload slowly, and dispersion is not reliable. And I give the example of my V140 torping a Wyoming in coop.

Does that make sense? No? Remember, the player is responsible for his own positioning, and getting caught by a DD at close range is nothing but failure. Also note CV has unlimited range and every bit of that range is effective, while DD has limited effective range for both guns and torpedoes. So with all that hard work getting near a CV, that DD should be rewarded big.

Aww spoilsport hehe.

While the OP scenario sounds pretty lame (you'd think at least one shell would hit) can't say I feel sorry for CV's.

Getting cross-torped in my DD's regularly makes them my no.1 gripe.

Anywho this one time...I got detonated in my DD from CV secondary so it does happen.

Mousey got a crash course in aviation after that! :etc_swear:

Had to larf tho-especially being called a noob by my div mate :cap_win:

1 hour ago, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

No,no,no

CV and BBs are two very different beasts. BBs should be mobile and aware of approaching DDs, and as you say they are responsible for their own positioning. The example you give the Wyoming Vs a DD is a nice example. If the Wyoming is prepared, has their turrets pointing the right way and manuevers they have a very good chance of damaging if not destroying the DD. The BB has options to defend itself. The only BB that I'd argue could use a secondary buff is the Mikasa, but that's because her secondaries were basically part of her primary armament and her big guns have issues hitting targets.

The CV on the other hand can use planes, but at low tiers they cannot manual drop, and it can be difficult to hit a DD with torpedoes. They don't (and shouldn't) take secondary skills so have to make do with totally stock secondaries, which frankly look like drunken sailors man the guns. CVs can get caught out positioning wise when a DD breaks through the teams lines, and basically they can become reliant on a cruiser or DD to come and save them. Obviously higher tier CVs don't suffer this as much, as they're more capable of dealing with the DDs both with planes and secondaries, so I'd say it would be fair to buff the secondaries of T4 and T5 CVs a little, just enough to make them dangerous enough that a low health DD needs to think twice.

3 hours ago, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

But, after the removal of manual drop, you cannot deal with DDs anymore in low tiers. You can't even target them if they smoke up (I know WG didn't think about that at all). At least hosho can cross drop, think about langley, you have -9000 effectiveness against any sort of DD player who knows how to WASD.

Basically they created the reverse scenario in high and low tier. High tier CVs can one shot DDs leaving out any reasonable chance from DD, low tier is just the opposite. But who cares, its a tier 4. Right?

2 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

But, after the removal of manual drop, you cannot deal with DDs anymore in low tiers. You can't even target them if they smoke up (I know WG didn't think about that at all). At least hosho can cross drop, think about langley, you have -9000 effectiveness against any sort of DD player who knows how to WASD.

Basically they created the reverse scenario in high and low tier. High tier CVs can one shot DDs leaving out any reasonable chance from DD, low tier is just the opposite. But who cares, its a tier 4. Right?

Low tier CV can still spot and ask teammate for supportive fire, and despite how bad low tier people are, they generally would be helping.

And low tier balance...

*Looks at Wyoming and Myogi*

yeah.... low tier balance, who cares

14 hours ago, HMS_Swiftsure_08 said:

Low tier CV can still spot and ask teammate for supportive fire, and despite how bad low tier people are, they generally would be helping.

And low tier balance...

*Looks at Wyoming and Myogi*

yeah.... low tier balance, who cares

You seriously expect low tier players to help CVs? That is not even to say that this is SEA, the most selfish server, by far

Once you exhaust your planes you are pretty much on your own and if your are chased by a DD its all over.   I guess the price you pay for an increased hanger is any chance of self protection.   I don't do a lot of CV stuff and only just got the Independence.  I'm happy to lose my secondaries for the sake of more planes and more AA.  if a DD is near me then the game is probably lost or I'm combat ineffective anyway.  All ive got left is speed which is nice after  playing the Bogue.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0